May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Chess Championship 2018: Magnus Carlsen (NOR) vs Fabiano Caruana (USA)

Too tight to call, Carlsen has declined a lot since his 2012-14 heights and looking vulnerable this year. Fabi is having his best year till date and only a win away from displacing the Viking from top spot. Will Carlsen win his 4th WCC and tie with Alekhine, Steinitz in the all time list or will USA get its first World Champion after Fischer's glorious triumph in 1972 Reykjavik?

If you are a chess fan you can't miss this one. London is where GOAT Garry Kasparov fell to Kramnik's Berlin Defence in one of the greatest upsets of all time, 18 years back. Will London be Carlsen's Waterloo too?

Fun start in game 1, a Sicilian Rossolimo which is kinda unexpected at the start . Thought they would play quieter lines and test the waters.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fantastic recovery by Caruana in game 1. Should boost his confidence.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've gone back to watching Tal games, this is like 2 old engines going at it. Looks like they've never heard of the word risk, safest of safe play only.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    I've gone back to watching Tal games, this is like 2 old engines going at it. Looks like they've never heard of the word risk, safest of safe play only.
    Too much at stake here, I feel 12 games are too less, ideally should be a 16 game WC. Almost always in the first few games the players try to test each other's prep and a short match becomes even shorter. Also the elite have become quite invulnerable in classical format thanks to engines. Still Carlsen should have converted game 1, match scenario would have turned very different but alas he has lost his killer instinct which made him so powerful a few years back.

Russian super coach GM Sergei Shipov suggested playing the tiebreaks first and then giving winner of that draw odds in the classical portion. I think that is a terrific idea because then at least one player will have to take risks in classical. But I fear FIDE will do something stupid and reduce time controls in the future to induce more errors. Just like test cricket, classical chess may face heat from shorter formats which is a tragedy.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scandal erupts in World Chess Championship showdown

Basically a short clip of Caruana's training has been revealed by St Louis Chess Club. It showed his seconds, reading material and a laptop screen with opening analysis. Some heads need to roll in his camp. This might be a huge psychological turning point in the match.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...57c75e401759e3
    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 15th November 2018 at 05:13.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Scandal erupts in World Chess Championship showdown

Basically a short clip of Caruana's training has been revealed by St Louis Chess Club. It showed his seconds, reading material and a laptop screen with opening analysis. Some heads need to roll in his camp. This might be a huge psychological turning point in the match.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...57c75e401759e3
    I believe this happened before the 4th game, which was drawn.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    I believe this happened before the 4th game, which was drawn.
    Yes before G4. They were asked about it in the post game press conference. Caruana declined to answer, Carlsen said he was yet to see it. Come to think of it, what if it is a double bluff by Team Fabi to misguide the Norwegian camp?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes before G4. They were asked about it in the post game press conference. Caruana declined to answer, Carlsen said he was yet to see it. Come to think of it, what if it is a double bluff by Team Fabi to misguide the Norwegian camp?
    All kinds of psychological ploys are attempted, so I would not be surprised if this was a misdirection by Team Fabi. No harm in having Carlsen waste mental energy wondering "should I think about the book he was reading or not?".

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't follow most of the WCC because I was following Tata Steel Chess Kolkata. Brilliantly organized, Nakamura won rapid section while Anand beat Naka in a playoff to clinch the blitz portion. Yesterday saw a stunning comeback by Vishy (soon to turn 49 !!!) to win the title in front of a packed Indian crowd, some high quality entertaining games for blitz standards. Praggnanandhaa (beat Karjakin with black) and Nihal made impressive super tournament debuts, future of Indian chess is bright. Now I can watch the title bout in peace.
    @Napa did you subscribe to the official site of the Championship or just watching on chess24/chess.com/chessbomb? Asking because I don't know if it is worth it, many are saying the coverage is poor. But I want to see the body language of the players, so undecided.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 15th November 2018 at 07:55.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All kinds of psychological ploys are attempted, so I would not be surprised if this was a misdirection by Team Fabi. No harm in having Carlsen waste mental energy wondering "should I think about the book he was reading or not?".
    The more interesting thing is that the identity of the seconds has been revealed. Also the laptop screen's zoomed portion must have given Team Carlsen some idea about the opponent's opening strategy.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't follow most of the WCC because I was following Tata Steel Chess Kolkata. Brilliantly organized, Nakamura won rapid section while Anand beat Naka in a playoff to clinch the blitz portion. Yesterday saw a stunning comeback by Vishy (soon to turn 49 !!!) to win the title in front of a packed Indian crowd, some high quality entertaining games for blitz standards. Praggnanandhaa (beat Karjakin with black) and Nihal made impressive super tournament debuts, future of Indian chess is bright. Now I can watch the title bout in peace.
    @Napa did you subscribe to the official site of the Championship or just watching on chess24/chess.com/chessbomb? Asking because I don't know if it is worth it, many are saying the coverage is poor. But I want to see the body language of the players, so undecided.
    I don't subscribe but just follow it on chessbomb. I suppose it really depends upon level of interest. Watching the players live is for those with a lot of interest.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The more interesting thing is that the identity of the seconds has been revealed. Also the laptop screen's zoomed portion must have given Team Carlsen some idea about the opponent's opening strategy.
    Unless Caruana rented those GMs to appear in his video clip and is really using someone other GMs. That would be a great fake, worthy of a future World Chess Champion

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for mentioning the blitz part of Tata Steel, went and checked it out. Very nice to see Anand triumph. Naka is especially well known for his blitz prowess.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't subscribe but just follow it on chessbomb. I suppose it really depends upon level of interest. Watching the players live is for those with a lot of interest.
    Follow it on chess24, much better than chessbomb IMO. Svidler and Grischuk are providing excellent commentary.

Unless Caruana rented those GMs to appear in his video clip and is really using someone other GMs. That would be a great fake, worthy of a future World Chess Champion
    I don't think it is fake because Rustam Kasimdzhanov, Leinier Dominguez, Cristian Chirila and Alejandro Ramirez who were shown in the original clip seconded him in the Berlin Candidates. Rustam has been his main second for 2 years now. Interesting thing is Kasimdzhanov is Caruana's team captain, Peter Heine Nielsen is Carlsen's team captain. Both of them were long time seconds of Anand assisting him in his 2008, '10 and '12 title matches against Kramnik/Topalov/Gelfand. In that sense Anand's shadow looms large over this match and some of his opening ideas may feature. If there is something to exploit based on those laptop screen lines you can bet Peter will exploit to the maximum since he and Rustam were colleagues for many years.

Thanks for mentioning the blitz part of Tata Steel, went and checked it out. Very nice to see Anand triumph. Naka is especially well known for his blitz prowess.
    Should have seen it live, was an astonishing comeback after a so-so 1st half. Yesterday he scored 7.5/9 and tied with Naka before crushing him in the playoff. He must thank little Prag who did the difficult job of holding Naka with black in the final round. You can try chesstv (Trent, Tania commentating) or here is the best clip (Chessbase India) I could find on Youtube about the finishing portion of yesterday.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follow it on chess24, much better than chessbomb IMO. Svidler and Grischuk are providing excellent commentary.

I don't think it is fake because Rustam Kasimdzhanov, Leinier Dominguez, Cristian Chirila and Alejandro Ramirez who were shown in the original clip seconded him in the Berlin Candidates. Rustam has been his main second for 2 years now. Interesting thing is Kasimdzhanov is Caruana's team captain, Peter Heine Nielsen is Carlsen's team captain. Both of them were long time seconds of Anand assisting him in his 2008, '10 and '12 title matches against Kramnik/Topalov/Gelfand. In that sense Anand's shadow looms large over this match and some of his opening ideas may feature. If there is something to exploit based on those laptop screen lines you can bet Peter will exploit to the maximum since he and Rustam were colleagues for many years.

Should have seen it live, was an astonishing comeback after a so-so 1st half. Yesterday he scored 7.5/9 and tied with Naka before crushing him in the playoff. He must thank little Prag who did the difficult job of holding Naka with black in the final round. You can try chesstv (Trent, Tania commentating) or here is the best clip (Chessbase India) I could find on Youtube about the finishing portion of yesterday.
    Will try chess24. Thanks again for the information and your thoughts

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game 5 draw, now Carlsen will have 2 consecutive whites. Only good news so far is the absence of Berlins.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another draw, really hope Carlsen goes for a win in the next 2 with white cuz these 30 move draws are getting boring

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another draw but at least it was nerve wracking. Grischuk's commentary was gold. Hope second half has more fight.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another draw but at least it was nerve wracking. Grischuk's commentary was gold. Hope second half has more fight.
    Guramishvilli is way out of her league with Grischuk and Svidler, she kept suggesting moves that got shot down instantly

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guramishvilli is way out of her league with Grischuk and Svidler, she kept suggesting moves that got shot down instantly
    Yeah I mean strength-wise she is way below their league but I enjoy her presence. She asks a lot of questions that pass the minds of players below master level. Leave it to those 2 and I am pretty sure they will talk Greek and Latin and stuff will fly over our heads. Sometimes a person like Sopiko can bring the average viewer's pov across to those 2 who then can slow down, or go into more detail to explain to the audience at large.

In the 2014 World Championship, Sopiko and Svidler gave commentary with Nepo joining in for a couple of rounds. That Sopiko was out of place because she mostly would keep mum, but with added experience of working with chess24 she has become a better commentator and learnt to bring something new to the table. I actually think she is doing a fantastic job.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I mean strength-wise she is way below their league but I enjoy her presence. She asks a lot of questions that pass the minds of players below master level. Leave it to those 2 and I am pretty sure they will talk Greek and Latin and stuff will fly over our heads. Sometimes a person like Sopiko can bring the average viewer's pov across to those 2 who then can slow down, or go into more detail to explain to the audience at large.

In the 2014 World Championship, Sopiko and Svidler gave commentary with Nepo joining in for a couple of rounds. That Sopiko was out of place because she mostly would keep mum, but with added experience of working with chess24 she has become a better commentator and learnt to bring something new to the table. I actually think she is doing a fantastic job.
    Would love to see Nepo join, Carlsen has had problems against him and he almost won Russia the Olympiad recently only for Ding Liren and co. to go on a rampage

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see Nepo join, Carlsen has had problems against him and he almost won Russia the Olympiad recently only for Ding Liren and co. to go on a rampage
    Nepo is a fun player, want to see him fight for the title one day, he is stylistically the opposite of Carlsen, a gifted tactician. I think Nepo and Karjakin are giving Russian commentary along with Shipov, Potkin etc. Anish Giri is joining chess24 broadcast later on, MVL will be with chess.com while Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand and Leko will join the St Louis guys. Many choices for us viewers but I think I will stick with the one that has Grischuk.