User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Everton Weekes, Graeme Pollock, Greg Chappell or Virat Kohli?

When ranking all-time greats I find it very hard to demarcate between the class of Everton Weekes,Graeme Pollock and Greg Chappell.Now with his current performances Virat Kohli comes into the reckoning.All batted at no 6 and were superstars of their era.Generally experts have ranked Pollock ahead of Chappell and Weekes at the top of the tree,before the arrival of Kohli.

For sheer exuberance ,statistical height in peak and merciless domination Weekes would top this list who resembled Bradman more than anyone.In peak era he was statistically the giant.However he was not at his best in tests in England and Australia being very prolific overseas in New Zealand and India.Averaged 58.61 overall in his career including a series in India aggregating 779 runs.

For mastery on bad wickets,talent or range of strokes Pollock was the king .He displayed mastery against the best Englsih and Australian pace attacks and averaged over 60, in tests ,next only to Bradman.

For overall statistical record in tests and technical correctness morally Greg Chappell would be at no 1 if you add WSC supertest performances and those against rest of the world.No batsmen was so prolific against the great West Indian pace quartet in the 1970's like Greg in 1979 who averaged over 69 with 3 centuries,Had the most prolific aggregate of 1416 run sin Wsc supertests averaging 56.14 and averaged over 100 against rest of the world in unofficial tests.Scores include 246 vesrus a world xi inPacker cricket.Arguably most complete batsmen of the 4.

For sheer determination or guts Virat would be at the top.Played in an era where wickets were much more batsmen friendly but virtually single-handedly carried the mantle or torch of the team in countries like England,Australia and South Africa.The best improviser of the 4 and executor of the cover drive.Arguably combining ODI's at the top.

In the end considering opposition faced and giving more accent to test cricket my order would be Graeme Pollock,Greg Chappell,Everton Weekes and Virat Kohli.I have given more importance to sheer class.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli has already achieved way more than both Weekes and Pollock. A cricketer is rated based on his class, ability and achievement. Kohli's achievements in both Tests and ODI's combined puts both of them to dust. And I'm speaking of International cricket, not domestic cricket i.e village cricket played against mostly nobodies.

Regarding Greg Chappell, he was no doubt a very fine player. But Kohli is just a few hundred runs away from him, with more 100's and double hundreds, with a better average. There's no criteria where Chappell holds an upper hand over Kohli in Tests. Add to that Kohli's ODI prowess, it's already pretty naive to believe that anyone of those 3 names can top him. I'm not even speaking of what he'll end up like in another 7-8 years.
    Last edited by Hitman; 10th November 2018 at 12:43.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli and it is not even close.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bradman
    Sachin
    Kohli

Three greatest batsman ever in that order. Rest all is hogwash.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Among the names mentioned, Kohli by miles. Is this a joke thread?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, another random, betooka thread we have come to expect from the OP

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yet another day and yet another thread where the usual suspects will go on and start bashing the modern player and this will be considered a fashionable thing to do and then some people start crying when the reverse happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Kohli has already achieved way more than both Weekes and Pollock. A cricketer is rated based on his class, ability and achievement. Kohli's achievements in both Tests and ODI's combined puts both of them to dust. And I'm speaking of International cricket, not domestic cricket i.e village cricket played against mostly nobodies.

Regarding Greg Chappell, he was no doubt a very fine player. But Kohli is just a few hundred runs away from him, with more 100's and double hundreds, with a better average. There's no criteria where Chappell holds an upper hand over Kohli in Tests. Add to that Kohli's ODI prowess, it's already pretty naive to believe that anyone of those 3 names can top him. I'm not even speaking of what he'll end up like in another 7-8 years.
    Here is a list of bowlers that got Pollock out in test cricket : http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...bowler_summary

Even if we go by the horrifically low standards for greatness that is used for OLD ERA players ... see if you can spot even one single ATG bowler in that list (And I dont even want to get started on Fred Titmus who tops that list )

But gotta admire the old era fans, experts and players for having built up this sort of reputation where people just swear by their names and achievements. No need of evidence, footage, stats , logic etc. Just plain unfettered faith that is blind as a bat and ushakeable as a rock. Quite Remarkable indeed.

Kohli by the time he is done would have come very close ( If not more) to the combined runs tally (13800) of the rest 3 players in this list.

@Robert
    @Junaids
    @Harsh Thakor

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Bradman
    Sachin
    Kohli

Three greatest batsman ever in that order. Rest all is hogwash.
    Include Viv at no. 2