Instagram

An evening with Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which team is the real favourite to win the 2019 World Cup?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • England

15 37.50%
  • India

16 40.00%
  • New Zealand

0 0%
  • South Africa

2 5.00%
  • Pakistan

6 15.00%
  • Australia

1 2.50%
  • Bangladesh

0 0%
  • Sri Lanka

0 0%
  • West Indies

0 0%
  • Afghanistan

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not Pakistan.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    This is probably the most open WC since 1975 (when everyone was unknown). I think, the format is a bit different - team that makes the SF in upward curve should have best chance; therefore I think making the SF is more important than thinking of winning it at first.

AUS, ENG & SAF are probably my top 3 to make the SF - for last 1, more or less everyone has their name written on it, but I'll pick IND. Then, whoever takes on SAF in SF are certain (almost) to make the Final, and one of IND, AUS, ENG to miss out in SF.

May be, we'll see cricket's oldest rivalry this time at Lord's Final - ENG V AUS. In that case, no way Poms are going to win it against Aussies

From the rest 6, anyone can end-up as 5th barring AFGs - their batting & spin based attack isn't suitable for such a long tournament in UK with 9 games. Won't be surprised if WIN makes it in top 6 or even top 4 - they had 2 open spots - a No. 4 & a WK; Bravo is back and Puran can be that WK - so, WIN are my dark horse.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    This is probably the most open WC since 1975 (when everyone was unknown). I think, the format is a bit different - team that makes the SF in upward curve should have best chance; therefore I think making the SF is more important than thinking of winning it at first.

AUS, ENG & SAF are probably my top 3 to make the SF - for last 1, more or less everyone has their name written on it, but I'll pick IND. Then, whoever takes on SAF in SF are certain (almost) to make the Final, and one of IND, AUS, ENG to miss out in SF.

May be, we'll see cricket's oldest rivalry this time at Lord's Final - ENG V AUS. In that case, no way Poms are going to win it against Aussies

From the rest 6, anyone can end-up as 5th barring AFGs - their batting & spin based attack isn't suitable for such a long tournament in UK with 9 games. Won't be surprised if WIN makes it in top 6 or even top 4 - they had 2 open spots - a No. 4 & a WK; Bravo is back and Puran can be that WK - so, WIN are my dark horse.
    Chances for Bangladesh?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by battler View Post
    Chances for Bangladesh?
    May be a decent shot at SF.

With a bit of luck, 5 wins should do the job; 4 might also do with a bit of luck (mathematically 3 can do). In UK, we have beaten AUS & ENG in active rubber; in WC we have beaten ENG, IND & SAF in active rubber & PAK in a dead rubber, and we do play better against Kiwis.

Probably, as of now on a positive note, I expect us to win against AFGs, SRL and 2 of PAK, WIN & NZ - that leaves 1 win against ENG, IND, SAF, AUS and making sure that we are not far behind in NRR.

Liton, Kayes, Tamim, Mushi, Shakib, Mahmudullah, Soumya, Mehedy, Mash, Mustafiz - makes quite a decent ODI X, need one more pacer to bowl with new ball. Also, heading to WC in good form is extremely important - if most of the players in squad is in good touch and couple of players hitting their form of life, miracles can happen and SRL actually proved that.

I was optimistic about a CT SF spot, no reason not to be optimistic this time as well.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that India are favorites only because England have temperament issues and will find anway to screw it up. Semis will include India, New Zealand, South Africa and England.

1st round exits for Pakistan and Australia.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    London, United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England.

Cricket needs England to win. Then the sport will win over wider fans. Cricket popularity will increase again, in England.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With a bit of luck, 5 wins should do the job; 4 might also do with a bit of luck (mathematically 3 can do). In UK, we have beaten AUS & ENG in active rubber; in WC we have beaten ENG, IND & SAF in active rubber & PAK in a dead rubber, and we do play better against Kiwis.

Probably, as of now on a positive note, I expect us to win against AFGs, SRL and 2 of PAK, WIN & NZ - that leaves 1 win against ENG, IND, SAF, AUS and making sure that we are not far behind in NRR.

Liton, Kayes, Tamim, Mushi, Shakib, Mahmudullah, Soumya, Mehedy, Mash, Mustafiz - makes quite a decent ODI X, need one more pacer to bowl with new ball. Also, heading to WC in good form is extremely important - if most of the players in squad is in good touch and couple of players hitting their form of life, miracles can happen and SRL actually proved that.

I was optimistic about a CT SF spot, no reason not to be optimistic this time as well.
    Yep. Its a decent team. What's going on with Mahmudullah? He seems to have regressed quite a bit. Is he still the designated finisher over Shabbir?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bangladesh should beat Afghanistan as you have the better batters and Pacers. But with Pak, WI and Sl it really could go either way. Bangladesh seem to have developed a mental block against India recently, that will be their biggest challenge when they face India. I feel if BD's spinners can strangle England's batting they might win against them as England's bowling is nothing really that great. Whereas for SA and Nz I feel if you get runs on the board you might win as both batting line-ups are not that great.
    As for Aus I feel they have this aura in the WC which will be hard to overcome for BD.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If that many Pakistanis are declaring India odds on favorites for the world cup many months in advance you would have to believe the hype. They have an unreal top 3, arguably the most dangerous top 3 ever.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1651 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    If that many Pakistanis are declaring India odds on favorites for the world cup many months in advance you would have to believe the hype. They have an unreal top 3, arguably the most dangerous top 3 ever.
    If just having a dangerous top 3 leads you to winning tournaments then you would have won the CT.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan seem to like playing in England.... balanced bowling attack in these conditions. Batting is capable of doing just enough.

I think England are favourites to win, but I back pakistan to make it to semis atleast.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England are favourites for me as of now
    All other teams have some some problems to get fixed
    But things can change in next few months

Bottom 4 won't make it to semis
    It's between top6

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bhai jaan popcorn ke liye karte ho Na aisa?

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    History tells us that with this format of all teams playing against each other in group stage there is only one team who can win the cup and that is
    PAKISTAN.
    No other team has ever won a world cup with this format.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has the players to perform in the English conditions. I believe our players currently are more suited for English type wickets than Asian. Our strength as always is our fast bowling as well as batsmen like Babar, Harris and Fakhar who thrive in English conditions.

India has middle order issues and their spinners will not be as effective as they are in Asian conditions. I don’t see this India taking this one.
    Last edited by Ozeirk; 12th November 2018 at 20:35.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    If just having a dangerous top 3 leads you to winning tournaments then you would have won the CT.
    For that you need a killer Top 4. Top 2 are enough for Asia cup type tournaments but without a reliable No.4, one can't win big tournaments.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England are favorites at home. Their recent ODI form is pretty good too I believe. But will a few people in their squad stand up for the knock-out games? That will be the deciding factor.

Have the players going forward, just need coaching&professionalism! #1 priority: fielding

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by battler View Post
    Bangladesh should beat Afghanistan as you have the better batters and Pacers. But with Pak, WI and Sl it really could go either way. Bangladesh seem to have developed a mental block against India recently, that will be their biggest challenge when they face India. I feel if BD's spinners can strangle England's batting they might win against them as England's bowling is nothing really that great. Whereas for SA and Nz I feel if you get runs on the board you might win as both batting line-ups are not that great.
    As for Aus I feel they have this aura in the WC which will be hard to overcome for BD.
    Who are those mysterious BD spinners that can choke the mighty Eng line up? Mehdi Hasan or the Nagin dude? Shakib isn't a world beater with his bowling either.For some reason, England's loss against Pak in CT SF on a slow wicket led people to assume that ENgland will struggle against spin. Far from it. Also, Eng Bowling is probably the most balanced. They have a decent pace AR in Woakes who can swing the ball at pace. A leftie quick in Willey that's an out and out attacking swing bowler. A pacy hit the deck bowler in MArk Wood, A wily offie in Moeen and an attacking leg spinner in Rashid. That's a lot of variety that attacks relentlessly and is perfect for any conditions. It's just that Pak has bowled out of their skins against Eng in SF as they batted against India in final. Those are not natural occurences and one shouldnt assume based on one off games.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    England have got to be favorites

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England all the way

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummii View Post
    England all the way
    Pakistan can stop them i reckon

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And it is game over after number 03 with uncle Rayudu and grandpa 👴 dhoni making sure we continue the losing streak...

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozeirk View Post
    Pakistan has the players to perform in the English conditions. I believe our players currently are more suited for English type wickets than Asian. Our strength as always is our fast bowling as well as batsmen like Babar, Harris and Fakhar who thrive in English conditions.

India has middle order issues and their spinners will not be as effective as they are in Asian conditions. I don’t see this India taking this one.
    I have to agree but their shoddy performance against India and others in the recently concluded Asia Cup was nothing short of a debacle. I actually thought India was playing against a very weak minnow team but as you mentioned England conditions will be different for them

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    If it is only one name it has got to be England. They are the only team who have all the bases covered and their bowling attack is good enough for home games. Their batting is the best in the world and they bat till number 11 I guess.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India.

Bonus prediction: Australia won't make semifinals.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favorites: England
    My dark horse: pakistan.

IPL will ruin India's chances as players will be tired or injured.

I want South Africa to win, but I dont see how they can

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Who are those mysterious BD spinners that can choke the mighty Eng line up? Mehdi Hasan or the Nagin dude? Shakib isn't a world beater with his bowling either.For some reason, England's loss against Pak in CT SF on a slow wicket led people to assume that ENgland will struggle against spin. Far from it. Also, Eng Bowling is probably the most balanced. They have a decent pace AR in Woakes who can swing the ball at pace. A leftie quick in Willey that's an out and out attacking swing bowler. A pacy hit the deck bowler in MArk Wood, A wily offie in Moeen and an attacking leg spinner in Rashid. That's a lot of variety that attacks relentlessly and is perfect for any conditions. It's just that Pak has bowled out of their skins against Eng in SF as they batted against India in final. Those are not natural occurences and one shouldnt assume based on one off games.
    Eng will come prepared to avenge their back to back WC loss against BD.

BD will crumble against big name teams like Aus and Ind. Rest of the matches should be 50/50 and can go either way. BD chances depends on Litton and Saumya finding forms.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you asked me who would NOT win then I’d be glad to give you a clear reply: India. Let’s agree on the following, if India wins the WC I’ll publicly admit I understand nothing about cricket and will stop following the sport.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with most of the posters here. Pakistan currently have players who are more suited in English conditions. E.g Fakhar, Babar, Haris, Faheem and even Asif (If he's persisted till WC). In the bowling Hasan, Amir, Shaheen, Junaid and Abbas (Most likely he'll make it).

It's an open WC and will be about momentum. Just like Pakistan lifted in CT17. I wouldn't be surprised if Pakistan manages to win last few games and reach the semis

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England