User Tag List

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Cup 1999 lookalike combination for World Cup 2019 (Pakistan)

Hello every one!!
    This is my first post on PAKPASSION and hopefuly you guys will tell me what improvements i need in order to make further posts in future. The main aim of my post was to select a Pakistani squad which i believe can win a much needed World Cup. While Choosing a Squad i compared it with the Pakistani squad of 1999 WC which i feel was a perfect combination with everything in their armour. First of all it is must to get Sharjeel Khan back in the team as soon as possible before the World Cup, which will definitely make them a strong side and among favorites to win the 2019 Cricket World Cup, as i feel they lack a Good opener who can partner Fakhar Zaman and release the burden on him and it will make him an even better player. First look at this squad for 2019 WC:

1: Fakhar Zaman
    2: Sharjeel Khan
    3: Babar Azam
    4: Sarfraz Ahmad
    5: Shoaib Malik
    6: Muhammad Hafeez
    7: Shadab Khan
    8: Faheem Ashraf
    9: Hasan Ali
    10:Muhammad Amir
    11:Shaheen Shah Afridi

Bench:
    12: Junaid Khan
    13: Imad Wasim
    14: Haris Sohail
    15: Asif ali
    16: Usman Shinwari/Muhammad Abbas

This is the squad which i feel can give a ray of hope. Changes in the final eleven can be made according to the pitch conditions and form of the players. This first 11 has 4 genuine batsmen, 3 all-rounders(1 medium fast and 2 spin), 3 genuine Fast bowlers and a wicket-keeper batsman. Bench is solid as well which can easily replace anyone in the starting eleven if required.
    They just need amir and hasan to be back to their best and regain form and my above squad has got a good enough batting lineup , at the stop there is sharjeel who is given a role to go all guns blazing and fakhar to rotate a strike and play his normal game and he will not feel under pressure once there is sharjeel as his partner. These two will allow middle-order to bat to their strengths which is to milk runs in the middle-overs without taking any sort of risk, just rotate the strike, and the likes of sarfraz, malik, babar can easily rotate strike in middle part and hafeez at NO.6 to give an impetus and finishing touch and if he fails to do so then we can get asif ali at no.6 to finish the good work done by the openers and the middle-order. Plus faheem also has an ability to give some lusty blows at the end. So all in all it's a perfect combination and a well balanced side for a big event like World cup. I personally think that this squad is closest to the 1999 WC squad in terms of combination only not quality which was near perfect with all the basis covered and a team full of legends and superstars..
    Now lets compare this squad with 1999 squad who is no-doubt a better squad on paper with full of superstars. I will write the starting eleven which played the final against Aussies:

1: Saeed Anwar
    2: Wajahatullah Wasti
    3: Ijaz Ahmed
    4: Inzamam-ul-Haq
    5: Moin Khan (wk)
    6: Abdul Razzaq
    7: Shahid Afridi
    8: Azhar Mahmood
    9: Wasim Akram
    10: Saqlain Mushtaq
    11: Shoaib Akhtar

Bench:
    12: Saleem Malik
    13: Mohammad Yousuf
    14: Waqar Younis
    15: Mushtaq Ahmed

This Squad has 4 genuine batsmen, 3 all-rounders(2 medium-fast and 1 spin), 1 genuine spinner, 2 genuine fast bowlers and a wicket-keeper batsman. Bench is quite strong as well which can easily replace anyone in the starting eleven.

Now lets compare player wise and see who is the best:

1: Saeed Anwar >> Sharjeel Khan
    2: Wajahatullah Wasti << Fakhar Zaman
    3: Ijaz Ahmed << Babar Azam
    4: Inzamam-ul-Haq >> Shoaib Malik
    5: Moin Khan (wk) << Sarfraz Ahmad
    6: Abdul Razzaq >> Faheem Ashraf

7: Shahid Afridi = Muhammad Hafeez (Afridi better in bowling
    and Hafeez better in batting)

8: Azhar Mahmood = Hasan Ali (Hasan better in bowling
    and Azhar better in batting)

9: Wasim Akram >> Muhammad Amir
    10: Saqlain Mushtaq >> Shadab Khan
    11: Shoaib Akhtar >> Shaheen Shah Afridi

So basically 1999 WC Team has 6 better players than Current One while the Current Team has 5 better players with overall a better fielding side than 1999 WC Team. But if you see in both teams then you will notice that both teams have well balanced squad and a perfect combination for English condition with Genuine batsmen, Quick and Skillful Fast Bowlers, All-rounders, Genuine Spinner, A Good Wicket-Keeper Batsman and a Strong Bench as well.
    So in my opinion this is the way to go for Pakistan in the upcoming World Cup, a Good balanced squad with every basis covered.
    What are your thoughts on this ??????????????

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Many people say that Pakistan plays 90s ODI cricket which is why they struggle in the modern game so you literally want to put them 20 years behind

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Many people say that Pakistan plays 90s ODI cricket which is why they struggle in the modern game so you literally want to put them 20 years behind
    Not really just wanted to show that a well balanced squad of batsmen, bowlers, allrounders is the way to go for pakistan in WC 2019

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Plus the team i suggested has modern openers who are aggressive from the get go and allrounders that give lusty blows at the end, the likes of Faheem Ashraf...

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For starters Sharjeel is banned and should not even be considered part of the squad until he comes back and proves himself in domestic cricket. with less than a year to go seems very unlikely.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead we should just wear the 99 World Cup Jersey, a slightly updated one.

Fakhar
    Babar
    Haris
    Sarfraz
    Malik
    Hafeez
    Imad
    Shadab
    Faheem
    Amir
    Afridi
    Hasan

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Um dude.

You are wasting 5 spots for batsmen there.

Sarfraz
    Malik
    Hafeez
    Faheem
    Shadab

These guys can't bat. We won't even make or chase 230 with this side in England.

Need to replace these with people who actually can bat.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Um dude.

You are wasting 5 spots for batsmen there.

Sarfraz
    Malik
    Hafeez
    Faheem
    Shadab

These guys can't bat. We won't even make or chase 230 with this side in England.

Need to replace these with people who actually can bat.
    We chased our highest score on foreign land due to Malik and Sarfraz, they're fine.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Good first post. My only advice would be to try using shorter paragraphs (no one-line paragraphs though) in order to make it easier for people to read.

I disagree with your suggested lineup though. I think the following will be much more effective:

1) Imam ul Haq
    2) Fakhar Zaman
    3) Babar Azam
    4) Haris Sohail
    5) Shoaib Malik
    6) ?
    7) Sarfaraz Ahmed (c) (wk)
    8) Shadab Khan
    9) Hasan Ali
    10) Mohammad Amir
    11) Junaid Khan

12) Shaheen Shah Afridi
    13) Fahim Ashraf
    14) Imad Wasim
    15) ?
    16) ?

Just need to fill in the gaps with quality and we will have a good showing at the World Cup.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A nice thread (though I think there are already few threads on the team for WC).

After watching Haris Sohail bat today I am convinced he needs to be in the starting eleven. Sharjeel won't be picked so its better not even consider him. Not sure why people want Sarfaraz to bat in top 4. He doesnt belong there. Hafeez kills the momentum in the opening slot so Babar should open. As much as I have lost hope in Amir, but since WC is in England he should be selected. My team:

1. Fakhar Zaman
    2. Babar Azam
    3. Muhammad Hafeez
    4. Haris Sohail
    5. Shoaib Malik
    6. Asif Ali
    7. Shadab Khan
    8. Sarfaraz Ahmed
    9. Muhammad Amir
    10. Shaheen Afridi
    11. Muhammad Abbass

12. Imam-ul-Haq
    13. Junaid Khan
    14. Faheem Ashraf
    15. Imad Wasim
    16. Hasan Ali

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    A nice thread (though I think there are already few threads on the team for WC).

After watching Haris Sohail bat today I am convinced he needs to be in the starting eleven. Sharjeel won't be picked so its better not even consider him. Not sure why people want Sarfaraz to bat in top 4. He doesnt belong there. Hafeez kills the momentum in the opening slot so Babar should open. As much as I have lost hope in Amir, but since WC is in England he should be selected. My team:

1. Fakhar Zaman
    2. Babar Azam
    3. Muhammad Hafeez
    4. Haris Sohail
    5. Shoaib Malik
    6. Asif Ali
    7. Shadab Khan
    8. Sarfaraz Ahmed
    9. Muhammad Amir
    10. Shaheen Afridi
    11. Muhammad Abbass

12. Imam-ul-Haq
    13. Junaid Khan
    14. Faheem Ashraf
    15. Imad Wasim
    16. Hasan Ali
    A decent lineup. Altough after no. 5 we have no one with the bat who can take responsibility. I would put Hafeez at no. 6 (Overseas conditions too)

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. Fakhar
    2. Babar
    3. Haris
    4. Saud Shakeel
    5. Hussain Talat
    6. Sarfraz
    7. Fahim
    8. Shadab
    9. Shaheen
    10. Hasan
    11. Abbas / Amir / Junaid / usman / Rumman

BENCH
    12. Rizwan (reserve Keeper)
    13. Abbas / Amir / Junaid / usman / Rumman
    14. Zafar Gohar / Asghar / Imad
    15. Hafeez / Imam

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Did you make this comparison for nostalgic reasons?

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 99 team was outrageous! Full of skill, character and charisma.. Yes, they underachieved but when they turned up they were unplayable. I would go as far as saying that every player (including bench minus wajatullah) would have made it into any other 90s ODI side.

This current squad is nowhere near in comparison, we need at least 3 quality batsman and a world class spinner to challenge. Unfortunately in batting we currently only have 1.5 (Babar and Fakhar) and our spinners are a level down to what we are use to.

The new format would have been a challenge for the 90s squad let alone this as consistency isn’t a word Pakistan associates with. We’d need to somehow get into the knockout stages, if we do then anything is possible. The question is can we be more consistent then the others?

With this new format England should get through comfortable due to home advantage so realistically the others are fighting for 3 spots. In 99 the only teams in contention were Australia, Pakistan and South Africa. This time around you can add England, India and New Zealand to the list. Also you have to respect the others who will cause upsets along the way.

So for once the winner will truely deserve there crown...

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ik92yk09sa17 View Post
    That 99 team was outrageous! Full of skill, character and charisma.. Yes, they underachieved but when they turned up they were unplayable. I would go as far as saying that every player (including bench minus wajatullah) would have made it into any other 90s ODI side.

This current squad is nowhere near in comparison, we need at least 3 quality batsman and a world class spinner to challenge. Unfortunately in batting we currently only have 1.5 (Babar and Fakhar) and our spinners are a level down to what we are use to.

The new format would have been a challenge for the 90s squad let alone this as consistency isn’t a word Pakistan associates with. We’d need to somehow get into the knockout stages, if we do then anything is possible. The question is can we be more consistent then the others?

With this new format England should get through comfortable due to home advantage so realistically the others are fighting for 3 spots. In 99 the only teams in contention were Australia, Pakistan and South Africa. This time around you can add England, India and New Zealand to the list. Also you have to respect the others who will cause upsets along the way.

So for once the winner will truely deserve there crown...
    Ahhh that 99 WC team... can never forget that World Cup. It is the one we should have won!

Instead the aussies won that final and that was the catalyst for the years of domination.

I remember as a teen excited and staying up, watching anwar spend an age changing his bat grip and getting out next ball by Fleming. And then it was all downhill from there.