Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Overseas Pakistanis : When would you consider moving back to Pakistan?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • In 2 years time

0 0%
  • In 10 years time

6 22.22%
  • In 15 years time

1 3.70%
  • Never

13 48.15%
  • Not sure!

7 25.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Overseas Pakistanis : When would you consider moving back to Pakistan?

Lot of us who live outside Pakistan - some due to studies, others have migrated, some were born outside etc

Do you have a timeframe in mind to move back to Pakistan?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Improvement in Law and Order

Improvement in the economic conditions i.e. high salaries and reduced cost of living

Cheap utilities

End to terrorism, extremism

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I actually wouldnt mind spending the age of 50 onwards in Pakistan. Pakistan is a decent place to live in as long as your loaded and especially live in Lahore/Islamabad/Karachi.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do think that the overseas Pakistanis should not simply invest in Pakistan through money but also through their skill and education.

I would happily spend my years of retirement teaching underprivileged kids English at least.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if the situation improves 1000x it would still take a monumental effort to convince my non Pakistany wife to move there...

Although one should never say never, iím gonna go ahead and say it anyway.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    SanFrancisco/Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know one pakistani who moved back. His father owns many sugar factories and he was going to manage them. Thousands of Indians move back to India every year from US, Canada, UK, Gulf, I know more than 60 of my friends (not friend of friend) who moved back from US, not because of visa situation but mostly to care for their parents or bring up their kids in Indian environment or they missed India. Pakistan and India are similar in many ways. So, I expect more Pakistanis to move back in the coming years.
    Last edited by prakash; 13th November 2018 at 05:19.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Even if the situation improves 1000x it would still take a monumental effort to convince my non Pakistany wife to move there...

Although one should never say never, i’m gonna go ahead and say it anyway.
    If you have a foreign partner, probably best to never go back. The culture and social stigmas there are very hard to adjust to if you've never experienced them.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prakash View Post
    I know one pakistani who moved back. His father owns many sugar factories and he was going to manage them. Thousands of Indians move back to India every year from US, Canada, UK, Gulf, I know more than 60 of my friends (not friend of friend) who moved back from US, not because of visa situation but mostly to care for their parents or bring up their kids in Indian environment or they missed India. Pakistan and India are similar in many ways. So, I expect more Pakistanis to move back in the coming years.
    If you're rich you will spend a better life in Pakistan than in any western country, as well as middle east. You can live like a king pretty much.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, never. Iím British. Sure my father is pakistani and I have pakistani heritage but thatís irrelevant. I was born here and follow the British culture and way of life. So for the off spring of pakistani immigrants itís different. However for their parents who migrated here itís different. Iíd say majority of Pakistan migrants would stay here with their family. However some would return home. However as that generation passes and their children live on. The children will remain here and never return to Pakistan as their is no reason too.

Honestly Iíve thought about it and once my family who live in Pakistan pass away, say my dads mum. I donít think Iíd ever go to Pakistan again. Which is sad really but their is nothing for me to go to.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told by a Pakistani friend she doesn't class me as Pakistani.....to her I am brit through and through. So answer is never I guess have not been for 20 yrs but want to visit

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm British born I would love to move to Pakistan if I could get a decent job there with a decent salary.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Lot of us who live outside Pakistan - some due to studies, others have migrated, some were born outside etc

Sort out the heat, dust, flies, rubbish and people, I might consider it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Matter of choice for someone but sometimes circumstances force a decision so one never knows!

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never in my life. Don't think I'll be visiting either.

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely.

Finish my studies and training then moving back to Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    If you're rich you will spend a better life in Pakistan than in any western country, as well as middle east. You can live like a king pretty much.
    This is true.

Fear the Creator ..... not the created.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does an 'Overseas Pakistani' considered a Pakistani if he's born in British and lives in British and has no plans to come back. Wouldn't he be a British? He and his generations patriotic to their own living country?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARK Rafay View Post
    Does an 'Overseas Pakistani' considered a Pakistani if he's born in British and lives in British and has no plans to come back. Wouldn't he be a British? He and his generations patriotic to their own living country?
    Complex issue!

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very likely. Even though spending all my life in the UK, I think Pakistan is an amazing place to live. I was there a few months ago, the open spaces of the villages, the organic fresh food, the lovely warm weather and the culture is something I really enjoy.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm born and raised in London and haven't been Pakistan since 2000 when I was 9 years old. I would love to visit because it is a sense of a belonging.

Maybe when Pakistan begins hosting tests again, I'll come back and watch some of the games, then take it from there.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Never in my life. Don't think I'll be visiting either.
    Good riddance, I would say.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    I'm born and raised in London and haven't been Pakistan since 2000 when I was 9 years old. I would love to visit because it is a sense of a belonging.

Maybe when Pakistan begins hosting tests again, I'll come back and watch some of the games, then take it from there.
    Which part of Pakistan does your family come from?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I get the impression from relatives who have visited Pakistan recently that it's ok for a holiday for a couple of weeks, but scratch under the surface and there are many many issues for people who have been living overseas.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Pakistan creates a better business environment where good jobs are available then I would consider it. I think it would be a great experience and a badly needed escape from the western life style which has become so mundane.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never. Only visit every couple of years for street food and feel how blessed I am to live a better life and show off to people in Pakistan my American life style.

Debut
    Jan 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a footnote, many of those first generation Pakistanis who journeyed to Britain in the 1950s and 1960s, did so in the belief that this was a temporary migration and that they would ultimately return to Pakistan. For these migrants Britain was a source of work, an avenue to earn and repatriate income for the uplift of relatives back home. Their hearts remained tethered to Pakistan.

In fact, as the years progressed the realisation dawned for many of these first generation migrants that there was no going back on a permanent basis. They found much had changed in Pakistan and no longer could they merely slot back in. The desire to provide their children with the best opportunities and the wish to remain close to them as they advanced towards old age also reoriented the perspective to the new homeland.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Which part of Pakistan does your family come from?
    Gujranwala

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As soon as all the big goons (Shareef family, Zardari, Altaf, corrupt mafias including security personnels and journalists etc) are sent to jail indefinetely, I would seriously consider moving to Pak.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Gujranwala
    I've passed through there once.

Not sure how long ago you have visited but Pakistan has changed a lot in the last 15 years or so, from what I have seen anyway. You have world class shopping centers with all the products you find here from clothing to food. All technology is up to date with the rest of the world, as much choice as the UK if not more.

The only things I would miss from the UK is being able to watch premier league football inside the grounds, cricket, boxing and other sports. And of course friends etc. You should defo try to visit to see for yourself.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one unless they have immediate family members back in Pakistan. Generally people care about their well being so it wouldn’t make a sense to leave a country that provides high quality life.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Born and raised in Canada.

No plan of visiting Pakistan let alone living there. The only connection is through the cricket to be honest.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    As a footnote, many of those first generation Pakistanis who journeyed to Britain in the 1950s and 1960s, did so in the belief that this was a temporary migration and that they would ultimately return to Pakistan. For these migrants Britain was a source of work, an avenue to earn and repatriate income for the uplift of relatives back home. Their hearts remained tethered to Pakistan.

In fact, as the years progressed the realisation dawned for many of these first generation migrants that there was no going back on a permanent basis. They found much had changed in Pakistan and no longer could they merely slot back in. The desire to provide their children with the best opportunities and the wish to remain close to them as they advanced towards old age also reoriented the perspective to the new homeland.
    And many of them found pubs, lager and white ladies.

Refer to Shaukat Ali's immortal lyrics in his infamous song.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    Born and raised in Canada.

No plan of visiting Pakistan let alone living there. The only connection is through the cricket to be honest.
    You are not alone in that sort of outlook (and for good reasons). I suspect a majority of people who chant Pakistan Zindabad in English grounds are like that too

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I have a school friend who is a distinguished professor in the US but decided to move back to Pakistan because he feels he owes the country a lot!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I asked this question to a friend of mine who has just returned from 2 weeks in Pakistan with his family.

His reply "Why would I want to move to a country where every other person is trying to rip me off, asking for a bribe or backhander and every other man is staring at my wife and daughters as if they have never seen a woman before in their life."

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I spent most of my time on the toilet when I last visited family in Karachi, lost a few stones, so wouldnít want to live there as thereís no clean water, but itís good for a visit, especially after witnessing the atmosphere in the streets after the CT win

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have worked in developed countries for considerable amount of time, you can live like king on moving back to India/Pak

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jusarrived View Post
    if you have worked in developed countries for considerable amount of time, you can live like king on moving back to India/Pak
    Exactly, that's what I said too. Have heard a few families doing that.

Coming back to this thread I think I'll have to go back there for my wedding. I have close family there who I'd want to share the occasion with especially my grandparents who I was very close to growing up and still stay in touch with.

But I'm not planning on doing that any time soon, am just a kiddo , but when the time comes I hope they are well Insh'Allah.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    I spent most of my time on the toilet when I last visited family in Karachi, lost a few stones, so wouldn’t want to live there as there’s no clean water, but it’s good for a visit, especially after witnessing the atmosphere in the streets after the CT win
    Lol I thought you were using toilet as a metaphor. But yes if you've never lived in Pakistan before it will take a while for your tummy to get used to e coli and his other bacteria friends found in the outside food there even from established franchises like United King Bakery.

But for water, a lot of upper-middle class families have filtered water coolers now, or ones visiting usually buy a wholesale crate of Nestle water.

Debut
    Sep 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am toying with the idea of buying a property in Ghawdar, initially to rent to a Chinese expat with a view to
    move out there myself for work or retire if it is appealing when the time comes.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol I thought you were using toilet as a metaphor. But yes if you've never lived in Pakistan before it will take a while for your tummy to get used to e coli and his other bacteria friends found in the outside food there even from established franchises like United King Bakery.

But for water, a lot of upper-middle class families have filtered water coolers now, or ones visiting usually buy a wholesale crate of Nestle water.
    I think I got diarrhoea from doing khuli with contaminated tap water, although my family buy like 6 x 15L water bottles which goes into the intermediate bulk container.
    And I learnt a lesson too, never shower at night, as thatís when the container is usually empty, and this somehow leads to having a shower with tutti ka pani.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I asked this question to a friend of mine who has just returned from 2 weeks in Pakistan with his family.

His reply "Why would I want to move to a country where every other person is trying to rip me off, asking for a bribe or backhander and every other man is staring at my wife and daughters as if they have never seen a woman before in their life."
    Can I ask if your friend was an ex-pat who grew up in Pakistan?

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

Yes do have a timeframe, ie Never (at least on a permanent basis), that is unless there comes a point akin to people of Jewish descent living under Nazi rule.

‚ÄúIn individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule‚ÄĚ

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Can I ask if your friend was an ex-pat who grew up in Pakistan?
    He grew up in Pakistan until the age of 23.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am already considering moving back primarily because of 2 reasons.

1 - Rising costs in general where I live and the fact that the market is too small for domestic growth for my business which primarily only caters domestically.

2 - Pakistan is a huge market and as a businessman if you latch on to the right opportunity in a densely populated place you should manage to be successful. With now there being more controls and procedures in place I am inclined towards starting something in Pakistan and perhaps will do so in the next 2 years even if I continue to do what I am doing in Dubai simultaneously. I see e-commerce playing a huge role in the future in Pakistan.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post

American pakistanis don't show that though. I wonder why.
    They focus too much on the American identity
    British pakistanis focus too much on the Pakistani identity

Canadian-Pakistanis are the perfect mix they're a powerful minority group, not fully assimilated but assimilated enough to not look like outsiders

Too bad I hate the cold so no Canada for me and I dream of New Mexican deserts but lately I have been thinking/discussing with my family about moving back home to Pakistan after college or some work experience in the states...
    Although from the looks of it I am almost an all american guy
    Played football in HS, seems to be on path to a good career, speak English with american accent unlike my peers who came to the country in my age
    But deep down I find it all sould crushing heart dreams of living/interacting with people who look like me understand my culture or atleast what I feel is my culture
    Religion is also important and I feel none of the desis I hang out with care about it want to be the most "american" they can possibly me (it cringes me out)
    This feels foreign even though from the outside I maybe the poterchild of assimilation but in my heart everything seems foreign not part of my identity
    But my parents just hate the idea for tham it's akin to lot key buthoo wapis aya
    A sign of failure for them and thier boy
    (@Itachi My train of thaughts was let loose decided to let it out... maybe it's better for this thread)

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to move back to Pakistan, when i have enough money that i can live a upper middle class lifestyle. If my calculations are correct, i will be a very old man when i am able to do so.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    I would like to move back to Pakistan, when i have enough money that i can live a upper middle class lifestyle. If my calculations are correct, i will be a very old man when i am able to do so.
    Get out of NYC or major metro
    You'll easily be a rich man in 5 years

Provided you work hard/good with finances

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easier said than done.
    Once the kids born in USA reach the age of about 10 years, it becomes almost impossible for the parents/family to move back to Pakistan.
    These kids simply can’t live in Pak.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    They wonít come back. It is easy to show patriotism and loyalty over the Internet when you are living in a foreign country and have the safety blanket of a foreign passport.

Quaid-e-Azam freed Pakistanis from the Queen but the same Pakistanis went to England and sang God Save the Queen to get UK passports.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    Easier said than done.
    Once the kids born in USA reach the age of about 10 years, it becomes almost impossible for the parents/family to move back to Pakistan.
    These kids simply can’t live in Pak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    They won’t come back. It is easy to show patriotism and loyalty over the Internet when you are living in a foreign country and have the safety blanket of a foreign passport.

Quaid-e-Azam freed Pakistanis from the Queen but the same Pakistanis went to England and sang God Save the Queen to get UK passports.
    I know plenty of people who have moved back to Pakistan from the West. If you have a high paying job, you can save eventually save enough money to move back to Pakistan and live in luxury.

The thing is most of the people who went abroad are from Middle Class areas. They dont want to move back to middle class areas of Pakistan, but they cant afford to live in the posh areas either.

If the prices of houses on Zameen . com are anywhere close to being accurate, then the majority of people abroad will never be able to buy something good in a posh area of Pakistan. At least not in Karachi.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    They focus too much on the American identity
    British pakistanis focus too much on the Pakistani identity

Canadian-Pakistanis are the perfect mix they're a powerful minority group, not fully assimilated but assimilated enough to not look like outsiders

Too bad I hate the cold so no Canada for me and I dream of New Mexican deserts but lately I have been thinking/discussing with my family about moving back home to Pakistan after college or some work experience in the states...
    Although from the looks of it I am almost an all american guy
    Played football in HS, seems to be on path to a good career, speak English with american accent unlike my peers who came to the country in my age
    But deep down I find it all sould crushing heart dreams of living/interacting with people who look like me understand my culture or atleast what I feel is my culture
    Religion is also important and I feel none of the desis I hang out with care about it want to be the most "american" they can possibly me (it cringes me out)
    This feels foreign even though from the outside I maybe the poterchild of assimilation but in my heart everything seems foreign not part of my identity

But my parents just hate the idea for tham it's akin to lot key buthoo wapis aya
    A sign of failure for them and thier boy
    (@Itachi My train of thaughts was let loose decided to let it out... maybe it's better for this thread)
    There are all types of Pakistanis who live in the US. You can find traditional Pakistanis, mix of traditional and western values, and completely westernized.

I feel some what similar to you though, in that I never liked the really westernized Pakistanis.

However when i visit Pakistan, i dont feel completely like a Pakistani either, even though i was born there.

Its like Na Ghar Ke Na Ghaat Ke

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get out of NYC or major metro
    You'll easily be a rich man in 5 years

Provided you work hard/good with finances
    Still wont be enough to move back to Pakistan. My parents have nothing there, as in no house no plots. And i would not live anywhere else besides a posh area. No way would i move back to the middle class s*it hole that my parents came from.

Maybe i need to think about Lahore, or Islamabad instead of Karachi. Karachi real estate is way too expense for a Gharib Aadmi like myself.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 30 years ago, when I immigrated to United States, I literally had a huge argument with my family where I was furious and told them to pack their bags and let’s go back to Pakistan. I told them that this place was not for us. This was my 7th day in United States. And I had lived in Europe for a couple years before that, so western life style wasn’t new to me.

My dad laughed at me and said, I will ask you after a few months.

And here I am. Looking back and seeing how accurate my dad was.

Money is perhaps not the issue.
    The more you live here, the harder it becomes to move back.

My brother in law is a cardio thoracic surgeon. He makes a little over $1 million a year.
    He has purchased huge houses Bahria Town Karachi and Islamabad. He also has two other huge houses in the top affluent neighborhoods of Peshawar.

He is ready to make a HUGE compromise on his current salary and move back to Pakistan; but it’s too late now. Both kids are not even 10 but none wants to live in Pakistan.

He interviewed with PIMS and Shifa hospitals and was offered the job on the spot but can’t go.

Our local masjid’s imam sahib tried three times to move back to Pak. And all times, he came back to the states.

Another friend who knew all these stories, tried a different approach. He was quite a successful businessman owning several Dunkin’ Donuts stores and real estate in NYC. May God rest his soul in peace.

First he custom built a fully American style house in Islamabad. He spent 15 corore Rs. (This was about 12 years ago) so you can imagine.

He then purchased the entire house hold items including appliances and furniture from here and filled an entire container that was shipped to Pakistan.

And even he couldn’t survive. His kids came back after a few months and he had no interest to live without the kids. Eventually they sold everything and both husband n wife moved back to USA.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still wont be enough to move back to Pakistan. My parents have nothing there, as in no house no plots. And i would not live anywhere else besides a posh area. No way would i move back to the middle class s*it hole that my parents came from.

Maybe i need to think about Lahore, or Islamabad instead of Karachi. Karachi real estate is way too expense for a Gharib Aadmi like myself.
    My parents had nothing either people, the stories are true my father actually came with 5$ in his pocket with no place to stay, think US overseas people are rich but they really aren't especially working class people who worked terribly hard for little things in life (like my family)

But trust me small cities in the US are the way to go my old man baught a big a** house cause it was so dirt cheap without the big city expenses - seriously think about it you'll thank me later-the racism part is seriously exadurated in desi circles to keep us locked in metro areas but people are nice out here in small cities

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 30 years ago, when I immigrated to United States, I literally had a huge argument with my family where I was furious and told them to pack their bags and let’s go back to Pakistan. I told them that this place was not for us. This was my 7th day in United States. And I had lived in Europe for a couple years before that, so western life style wasn’t new to me.

My brother in law is a cardio thoracic surgeon. He makes a little over $1 million a year.
    He has purchased huge houses Bahria Town Karachi and Islamabad. He also has two other huge houses in the top affluent neighborhoods of Peshawar.

He is ready to make a HUGE compromise on his current salary and move back to Pakistan; but it’s too late now. Both kids are not even 10 but none wants to live in Pakistan.

He interviewed with PIMS and Shifa hospitals and was offered the job on the spot but can’t go.

Our local masjid’s imam sahib tried three times to move back to Pak. And all times, he came back to the states.

Another friend who knew all these stories, tried a different approach. He was quite a successful businessman owning several Dunkin’ Donuts stores and real estate in NYC. May God rest his soul in peace.

First he custom built a fully American style house in Islamabad. He spent 15 corore Rs. (This was about 12 years ago) so you can imagine.

He then purchased the entire house hold items including appliances and furniture from here and filled an entire container that was shipped to Pakistan.

And even he couldn’t survive. His kids came back after a few months and he had no interest to live without the kids. Eventually they sold everything and both husband n wife moved back to USA.

Ah I also remembered my first day in the states
    I had an argument with dad, than latter cried wanting to move back, begging him to move back

But my dad didn't laugh got angry and asked me to grow a pair and be man

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does bro in law need kids approval when there are not even 10? My parents never asked me when we moved to the US. When we moved different areas in the US my parents never asked me.

Maybe its because my family was poor. But my parents would not take these type of nakhra from me.

Also if i was a doctor, and i had saved money just for a few years, i would move to Pakistan. I actually know of doctors who have moved back to Pakistan.

I dont have any kids, so maybe i might feel differently then. Who knows.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are all types of Pakistanis who live in the US. You can find traditional Pakistanis, mix of traditional and western values, and completely westernized.

I feel some what similar to you though, in that I never liked the really westernized Pakistanis.

However when i visit Pakistan, i dont feel completely like a Pakistani either, even though i was born there.

Its like Na Ghar Ke Na Ghaat Ke
    Problem is not finding the right desis
    Nor.is it me hating on the US I love the country I think it's a good country
    Its just that I am feeling this weird feeling of "foriegness" here
    I just want to be with people that look like me, talk like me it's becoming suffocating...

And unlike my parents I would have a US degree/experience and a house hopefully the country won't be as harsh as it was for them...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prakash View Post
    Have heard of a few overseas Pakistani's in the UK and Canada who chose to get social security, pensions upon retirement and utilized their savings to move back to Pakistan, India for the comforts of the sub continent while getting their pensions from these countries. In fact some even established businesses back home while still getting a guaranteed amount of money from the West. Thats a good way to enjoy a fulfilling after retirement.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm of a Pakistani descent so not exactly an overseas Pakistani but on behalf of my parents and other relatives, I don't think any of them want to move to Pakistan ever - they're okay with the occasional visit, perhaps investing money or sending back remittances to relatives who may need assistance but other not much else.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    927 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They won’t come back. It is easy to show patriotism and loyalty over the Internet when you are living in a foreign country and have the safety blanket of a foreign passport.

Atleast from this thread, i dont want overseas Pakistani's voting in our country.

WHen they dont want to come back why do they bother to have a say in our politics. Why advocate for having voting rights for them, when they have no idea about the ground realities of the problems we are facing every day

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to be with people that look like me, talk like me it's becoming suffocating...

And unlike my parents I would have a US degree/experience and a house hopefully the country won't be as harsh as it was for them...
    Did you get any weird feeling when you go back to Pakistan?

Like when im there, its great I also like being among fellow Pakistanis.

but at the same time, im not a "burger". I especially dislike people who talk Urdu with a westernized accent. Like i live in the west and if i can talk proper Urdu so can you. I noticed this more among females then men.

And im not that into traditional stuff. So I cant say i am a "bun kabab" either.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Atleast from this thread, i dont want overseas Pakistani's voting in our country.

WHen they dont want to come back why do they bother to have a say in our politics. Why advocate for having voting rights for them, when they have no idea about the ground realities of the problems we are facing every day
    I believe the only ones eligible to vote would be ones with the NICOP. Most of the Pakistanis in western countries dont have it.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a dilemma with many of us.
    A friend once told me that “no matter how long have you lived here, it doesn’t feel yours.”
    He visited Turkey and said, “Yaar lagta hai k ye jagga apni hai aur ye log apnay hain.”

Two years ago, I took a month off and we visited Turkey. After a few days in touristy Istanbul we began traveling in the interior regions of Turkey.
    We visited Cappadocia, Konya, Fatiye, Izmir and a few other cities.

Yes, the food was great, the people were nice n friendly, the weather and scenery was awesome but besides that, I clearly felt this strange feeling of belonging.
    My elder son and I, prayed salat in those small mosques in Turkish villages, we were introduced and invited for dinner by a couple local families (total strangers) and there was this strange and trust worthy connection that you can’t easily build here.

However, USA may have its growing pains but this is the best country in the world IMO.
    There is an abundance of chance and it’s fair play for general public to work hard and follow your dreams.

Access to education is fairly good. Finding job isn’t hard. Law n order is mostly well in place.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ďOur countryĒ?
    Many hold dual nationalities. How are they any less or more Pakistanis than you?

Should Pak govt also ask the ďforeignĒ Pakistanis to stop the remittances to Pakistan? I think this is Pakistanís one of the biggest source of income.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Pakistanis live in countries other than the UK and other than Pakistanis there are numerous other nationalities that were once colonized by the British and now have huge diasporas in the UK such as Indians, Jamaicans and Nigerians among few, you even plenty of Irish people there in spite of their historic rivalry. You can be patriotic towards the old country without living there or ever moving back, of course we will never be fully Pakistani as we live abroad and every passing year, every passing generation will be farther away culturally, however one will always have pride and feel connection towards their roots, it's just part of human nature. There are numerous other ways to support other than living there.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if anyone in this thread has dual nationality however if they do then it is their right to vote, they're an entitled to every right and that's the norm for in other democratic countries that allow dual nationality, it's not really up to you to decide if you should disenfranchise. I wish more "liberals' in Pakistan learned about what political process is, like you can't act on an ad hoc basis.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think many overseas Pakistanis have done good things for Pakistan in contrast to many local Pakistanis who have turned the country into a “Chorron ka adda”.

Overseas Pakistanis sent $23 Billion to Pakistan in 2020. So no, and sorry to burst your bubble, but the patriotism by overseas Pakistanis is not just hot air from the mouth.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I think many overseas Pakistanis have done good things for Pakistan in contrast to many local Pakistanis who have turned the country into a ďChorron ka addaĒ.

Overseas Pakistanis sent $23 Billion to Pakistan in 2020. So no, and sorry to burst your bubble, but the patriotism by overseas Pakistanis is not just hot air from the mouth.
    They donít send this money for charity or for countryís betterment lol so stop making it seem like it is. They are just sending for the relatives. It is most definitely not out of patriotism and if thereís your evidence of Ďpatriotism of overseas Pakistanisí then Iím sorry to say you ainít operating on much.

As for topic and for me. Iím late 20s now. Came to the US when I was 18 and go back regularly. If everything remains the same as is right now I intend to be moving back at 34-35 when I have gathered up a nice huge pile of cash and enough diversified asset base. I have great love and admiration for the US and especially in my undergrad I always felt welcomed by the local Americans so there wasnít even much of a homesickness which many internationals face but at end of day apna ghar apna ghar hota hai especially as my parents are getting old.
    Last edited by Slog; 7th February 2021 at 13:46.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I moved to Canada when i was around 7. The initial transition period was tough but once you get past that it's been so good. Most of my friends are Pakistani and we all can relate to each other also Canadians are a little more chill than the Americans imo so it's been pretty good. I don't think I could ever move back to Pakistan maybe to visit but there is no way I could survive over there.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the area you live in also plays a big role too where I live its literally 90% brown people. in the summers theres kids playing cricket on the streets. Desi stores everywhere, Mosques nearby.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Also I think this question is very different to different people.

For someone like me who went abroad as a student when I was already 18; it is very different proposition for me compared to someone who moved when they were 8 or 9 and their whole family moved together. For the latter I see no real reason why they would want to move back to pakistan. For them home is USA, Canada or UK or wherever they are because thatís where they grew up and matured. So that aspect is very important too.

One thing Iíve noticed is that itís the people who move West when theyíre already in their late 20s and 30s who are the most hell bent on ensuring that they never have to move back and itís never a consideration for them.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Out of curiosity which city were your parents in and what was the Ďharshí experiences for them. Racism?

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

One thing I’ve noticed is that it’s the people who move West when they’re already in their late 20s and 30s who are the most hell bent on ensuring that they never have to move back and it’s never a consideration for them.
    My dad and his brothers came to america in that age range and I think it's cause they feel like they gave their all to Pakistan and think they saw the best could've gotten out of the country so moving back would make no sense unless there was some drastic transformation.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    My dad and his brothers came to america in that age range and I think it's cause they feel like they gave their all to Pakistan and think they saw the best could've gotten out of the country so moving back would make no sense unless there was some drastic transformation.
    Fair enough. I didnít think of it but you make sense. I guess at that age youíve had some sort of career in Pakistan so you probably feel that youíve given life/career a fair shot in Pakistan and youíve gotten as far as you could and are not satisfied. So there isnít that sense of what if possibilities to a life in Pakistan which someone who came abroad as a kid or as a student may have.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I think this question is very different to different people.

For someone like me who went abroad as a student when I was already 18;
    I think it also depends on how you came to America like I have cousins that came in their late teens/early 20s but they can't imagine moving back to Pakistan cause they came here on a greencard, it would be totally different from an international student as their future in this country is far from certain.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    That's exactly what my dad said. He moved when he was in his late 30s he said No matter how hard you work in Pakistan you'll never get ahead.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity which city were your parents in and what was the ‘harsh’ experiences for them. Racism?
    In pakistan/the general country economy...