User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Ireland to play 3 T20Is, 5 ODIs and a one-off Test against Afghanistan in India (Feb-Mar 2019)

Ireland will travel to Dehradun in northern India for a series of three T20Is, five ODIs and a one-off Test against Afghanistan in February-March next year.

It will be Ireland's first overseas Test match, and the second Test match for the two newest teams at the highest level – earlier in 2018, Ireland started out at home against Pakistan, losing by five wickets, while Afghanistan took on India in Bangalore, and went down by an innings and 262 runs.

The matches – all nine of them – will be played at one of the new international venues in India, Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, in a span of 27 days.

“The Afghanistan series is a major step forward for Irish cricket as the tour is our first major tour as a Full Member. It will no doubt be a test for the entire squad – taking on Afghanistan in subcontinent conditions will require a level of adjustment by both our batting and bowling units,” said Andrew Balbirnie, the experienced Ireland batsman, after the itinerary was finalised on Friday, 30 November.

23 February: 1st T20I
    24 February: 2nd T20I
    26 February: 3rd T20I
    2 March: 1st ODI
    4 March: 2nd ODI
    7 March: 3rd ODI
    9 March: 4th ODI
    12 March: 5th ODI
    17-21 March: one-off Test

“As we saw here at home in the summer, Afghanistan is a quality side with some world-class players, and will be a great challenge in their ‘home’ conditions.”

Ireland have a busy time lined up for them in 2019. After travelling to India, they host Bangladesh and then play a Test match in England in July.

“The level and regularity of top-quality international cricket this year will be exciting for Irish cricket fans,” said Balbirnie. “The year will start with this Afghanistan series, and will involve a busy home schedule of matches involving multiple Full Member nations – starting with an ODI against England at Malahide in May. There’s also the Lord’s Test against England in July, and the year will end with the T20 World Cup Qualifier tournament in October.

“With the retirements this year of Ed Joyce, Niall O’Brien and John Anderson, we know that this is a year that will require the entire squad to step up, and it will also present some of the younger guys with opportunities to stake their claim for national selection. It’s an exciting time to be involved in Irish cricket.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/924784

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow should be a good series. Afg are very strong team in Asian conditions, so I would expect them to win easily. But hope Ireland gives them more fight than BD did when they played Afg in India.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great news! Hope Ireland win.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Fantastic. Great opportunity for both the teams. I'd back Afghanistan wo win most of the mayltches.

Perhaps they could have spread the series to two venues Dehradun and Noida with Dehradun as base.

Hopefully BD agree to play a full series including tests with Afghanistan in India soon.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1092 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Good news. It's best that the likes of Afghanistan and Ireland play lower ranked teams like West Indies, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe for a few years instead of immediately throwing them in the deep end.

Ireland need to work on facing spin which has been their weakness for some time.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a win win situation for everyone. Let India be homeground for Afghanistan team. The small stadiums too will be benefited on the process. I wish Guwahati could be part of this.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Good news. It's best that the likes of Afghanistan and Ireland play lower ranked teams like West Indies, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe for a few years instead of immediately throwing them in the deep end.

Ireland need to work on facing spin which has been their weakness for some time.
    The best would have been the 2 tier system, with relegations and promotions over a 4 year period, but that'll obviously never happen.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good for the game and nice of India to let them play at their home soil.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea to win there first test...

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFG should play against ZIM few test series, which is a much stronger team than IRE.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news for both Afghanistan and Ireland cricket. It's better if they play more among themselves and teams like Zimbabwe and WI.

This series is also why the top Afghanistan players like Rashid, Nabi and Shehzad were not selected for the PSL.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDfanforever View Post
    AFG should play against ZIM few test series, which is a much stronger team than IRE.
    And BD as well against whom Zim drew an away series.

Next year, Zim, BD and WI should all play tests vs Afghanistan, home or away.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh needs to invite Afghanistan and stop being a chicken

Bangladesh will gain more by playing Afghanistan instead of Windies

Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful_Rox View Post

Bangladesh will gain more by playing Afghanistan instead of Windies
    Come back to me when AFG beats England in England.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful_Rox View Post
    So I was not alone then in thinking BD is scared to play Afg.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to this, but will be very tough.

Last time we were surprisingly competitive in the t20's despite going down 3 - 0, almost won one on DLS and scored 200 plus chasing the other, still lost lol.

ODI's were 3-2 Afghanistan, basically without Rashid I'm certain Ireland would've won 5-0, was so frustrating seeing him change every game when we were on the cusp of winning.

Shame about the Test being here though, I'm bloody glad we'll be playing dont get me wrong but the Afghans are at a huge advantage obviously, they trounced us the last time we played FC cricket in India, fact its on a track thatll have been used for 8 games prior is not a good sign.

Still, least its at the tail end so guys will have acclimatised.

More exciting for me is a full 8 game A tour to SL in January. Finally the next generation getting proper games to test themselves with. Seriously young side selected too so cannot wait for that.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post

Last time we were surprisingly competitive in the t20's despite going down 3 - 0, almost won one on DLS and scored 200 plus chasing the other, still lost lol.

ODI's were 3-2 Afghanistan, basically without Rashid I'm certain Ireland would've won 5-0, was so frustrating seeing him change every game when we were on the cusp of winning.

Shame about the Test being here though, I'm bloody glad we'll be playing dont get me wrong but the Afghans are at a huge advantage obviously, they trounced us the last time we played FC cricket in India, fact its on a track thatll have been used for 8 games prior is not a good sign.

More exciting for me is a full 8 game A tour to SL in January. Finally the next generation getting proper games to test themselves with. Seriously young side selected too so cannot wait for that.
    I think in T20 and test Afghanistan will annihilate IReland.

In T20 because Afghanistan has many power hitters. Shahzad, Hazratullah, Nabi, Shafiqullah, Najibullah etc. Only 1 or 2 pr. game has to come of for Afghanistan to post a total that their spinners will defend.

Test because IReland does not have a bowling attack in asian condition to stop Afghanistan from posting a total and the spinners will take care of the rest.

In ODI Afghanistan has improved a lot since last time. So huge challenge ahead for Ireland.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelandofthebravepeople View Post
    I think in T20 and test Afghanistan will annihilate IReland.

In T20 because Afghanistan has many power hitters. Shahzad, Hazratullah, Nabi, Shafiqullah, Najibullah etc. Only 1 or 2 pr. game has to come of for Afghanistan to post a total that their spinners will defend.

Test because IReland does not have a bowling attack in asian condition to stop Afghanistan from posting a total and the spinners will take care of the rest.

In ODI Afghanistan has improved a lot since last time. So huge challenge ahead for Ireland.
    Eh, on paper you're correct but Ireland always seem to compete with you guys. We won the last series in Asia and you guys should have a similar line up this time.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dehradun will have great weather in February-mid March. Expect average temperatures of 16-17 with peaks of 21-22. There will be plenty of swing and seam early in the morning. Ireland will enjoy playing there.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, on paper you're correct but Ireland always seem to compete with you guys. We won the last series in Asia and you guys should have a similar line up this time.
    Yeah you guys dont have fear of AFG as much as the BD boys.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    Dehradun will have great weather in February-mid March. Expect average temperatures of 16-17 with peaks of 21-22. There will be plenty of swing and seam early in the morning. Ireland will enjoy playing there.
    Really? Surprising if true. Cheers for the info. We played in Noida last time and all the tracks were insanely flat.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DUBLIN – Cricket Ireland has today announced that West Indies will take part in a one-day international tri-series with Ireland and Bangladesh, as part of a major international men’s schedule that will see 16 international fixtures being played around Ireland in 2019.

The news of West Indies participation comes as welcome news for Irish cricket fans who missed out on seeing the Caribbean side play in Ireland in 2017 when a scheduled match at Stormont was abandoned without a ball being bowled.

Warren Deutrom, Chief Executive of Cricket Ireland, said:

“While 2018 was a breakthrough year in many ways for Irish cricket, 2019 is set to be another momentous year for our sport. Next season we will host five Full Member nations – with a number of the teams having not played here for many years. Zimbabwe’s last match in Ireland, for instance, was in 2003, while a senior West Indies side hasn’t been seen in on-field action in Ireland since 2007.”

“The international fixtures will begin with England on May 3rd at Malahide, before a one-day international Tri-Series between Ireland, Bangladesh and West Indies to be played across Malahide and Clontarf. Then we move to play a two-match one-day series against Afghanistan at Stormont, before a six-match white-ball series against Zimbabwe to be played at Stormont and Bready.”

“In all, we will be hosting eight matches in Dublin and eight matches across Northern Ireland. The venues have been chosen to spread the fixture load across our four international-rated grounds - with five matches at Malahide, three at Clontarf, five at Stormont and three at Bready. The configuration of fixtures also allows teams involved in the Tri-Series to all be located in the same city to reduce travel impacts and maximise training and acclimatisation opportunity for those sides as part of their build-up to Cricket World Cup 2019.”

“This rotation of matches will also maximise our ability to play on new pitches in most matches. The fact though that we do not have enough international standard pitches to provide a new one for every match will give a sense of why the Board was keen to see a fifth international cricket ground constructed at Abbotstown.”

“All of these white ball matches, of course, precede our Test match of the summer which will be at Lord’s against England.”

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan batted like headless chickens in their debut test match a few months ago.

Hope they picked up their game bigtime or they don't stand a chance. Bowling I'm sure they can manage, but batting they have to scrape more than 100-110 per innings.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Afghanistan v Ireland series moved forward

The full three-format series, which was originally set to get underway on 23 February in India, will now commence on 21 February.

The boards of the two countries put out releases stating that the series, which will significantly feature the maiden Test between the two new full members, has been brought forward by a couple of days to avoid a clash with the start of the 2019 Indian Premier League.

Afghanistan and Ireland, who were granted Test membership in 2017, have both played one Test each. Ireland faced Pakistan at home, while Afghanistan had played India in India. Both lost their maiden Test, and will be on the hunt for their maiden victory in the format.

The series, all matches of which will be hosted by Afghanistan at Dehradun's Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium in India will start with the T20I leg.

After three T20Is, the teams will battle it out in a five-match one-day international series, starting 28 February before the Test gets underway on 15 March.

The ODIs will serve as vital preparation for Afghanistan ahead of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019. If offers both teams to accrue valuable rating points in a bid to scale up in the MRF Tyres ICC Men's ODI Rankings.

Commenting on the change in dates, Afghanistan Cricket Board CEO Shafiqullah Stanikzai said, "initially, we planned to conclude the series on 23 March but keeping in mind the dates of the Indian Premier League in which three of Afghanistan’s main players will be participating, the dates were slightly adjusted and I would like to thank Cricket Ireland for honouring our request."

"The series will be important for Afghanistan as we are in the preparation stage of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 and we are certain that both sides will play competitive cricket."

Ireland and Afghanistan have shared a healthy rivalry in the recent past and this series offers them a chance to add another dimension to that rivalry in the form of Test cricket.

"The importance of this series to both nations cannot be understated," said Warren Deutrom, the Cricket Ireland chief executive, "so it was important that we could ensure the fans did not miss out on a clash that will see best v best in terms of players available.

"We hope this slight amendment to playing days does not impact too much on the travel bookings of any fans attending the series. We look forward to a great series – which will include Ireland’s first overseas Test match.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/974870

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Ireland have announced their squads to face Afghanistan across all three formats in India, starting on 21 February.

Paul Stirling is set to captain Ireland in the three-match T20I series that kicks off the multi-format contest, with full-time captain Gary Wilson missing out after being diagnosed with a condition that has affected his vision.

Andrew White, the chairman of selectors for Ireland's men's sides, said: “Gary [Wilson] is going to be a big miss for us - but it was decided that he should continue recovery in the short-term with the longer-term priority of being a key member of a busy home schedule, and leading the T20 squad to the T20 World Cup Qualifier campaign in late 2019.

“In his absence, we have asked Paul Stirling to stand-in as T20 skipper. Stirlo is one of Ireland’s most experienced and successful exponents of this format of the game, and has gained a wealth of experience playing around the world – for Ireland, Middlesex and various franchise teams in global T20 leagues. This is the first time he has been handed the captaincy of the national side, so will undoubtedly be a proud moment for not only himself, but his family.”

Following on from the three T20Is, Ireland will face Afghanistan in five ODIs before the two sides play a single Test, following on from their maiden appearances in the format in 2018.

Ireland faced off against Pakistan last May in their first Test match Ireland faced off against Pakistan last May in their first Test match
    Speaking on the new additions to Ireland’s squads, White added: “With regards to some of the new faces, there is no denying the performances of James McCollum, James Cameron-Dow, Shane Getkate and Harry Tector on the current Ireland Wolves tour have impressed selectors.”

"For McCollum, it hasn’t just been his runs but the manner in which he has scored them in subcontinent conditions that has impressed us most. His assuredness at the top of the order has been an asset for the Wolves team, and builds on his first-class performances last season for the Northern Knights.

“James Cameron-Dow may, for many fans, come as a bit of an unexpected surprise on this Wolves tour – but we have had our eye on him for a while now. His two five-wicket hauls in the red-ball Wolves games certainly stood out, but his progress and development throughout the tour has been promising. He certainly offers us a good spin option for the Indian wickets we will play on against Afghanistan.

“Shane Getkate has had an outstanding white-ball series for the Wolves in Sri Lanka and Harry Tector has been a consistent performer at under-age levels, and now led two national teams – the Under-19s squad to the World Cup last year and now the Ireland Wolves. His century last week for the Wolves showed the talent and leadership attributes we believe he will bring into the senior set-up.

Prior to the visit to India, Ireland will face up for a Quadrangular T20 tournament in Oman featuring the hosts, Scotland and the Netherlands.

Squads

Oman Quadrangular T20 Tournament: Paul Stirling (Captain), Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, George Dockrell, Shane Getkate, Josh Little, Andrew McBrine, Kevin O’Brien, Stuart Poynter, Boyd Rankin, Simi Singh, Harry Tector, Stuart Thompson, Lorcan Tucker

Afghanistan series - T20 Squad: Paul Stirling (Captain), Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, George Dockrell, Shane Getkate, Josh Little, Andrew McBrine, Kevin O’Brien, Stuart Poynter, Boyd Rankin, James Shannon, Simi Singh, Harry Tector, Stuart Thompson, Lorcan Tucker

Afghanistan series – ODI Squad: William Porterfield (Captain), Andrew Balbirnie, James Cameron-Dow, Peter Chase, George Dockrell, Andrew McBrine, Barry McCarthy, James McCollum, Tim Murtagh, Kevin O’Brien, Stuart Poynter, Boyd Rankin, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Lorcan Tucker

Afghanistan series – Test Squad: William Porterfield (Captain), Andrew Balbirnie, James Cameron-Dow, George Dockrell, Andrew McBrine, Barry McCarthy, James McCollum, Tim Murtagh, Kevin O’Brien, Stuart Poynter, Boyd Rankin, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Stuart Thompson, Lorcan Tucker

Fixtures

Quadrangular tournament in Oman
    9 February: Ireland v Oman Development XI (T20)
    10 February: Ireland v Oman Development XI (T20)
    13 February: Ireland v Oman (T20I); Scotland v Netherlands (T20I)
    15 February: Ireland v Scotland (T20I); Oman v Netherlands (T20I)
    17 February: Ireland v Netherlands (T20I); Scotland v Oman (T20I)

Ireland Men’s tour (Afghanistan series)
    21 February – 1st T20I
    23 February – 2nd T20I
    24 February – 3rd T20I
    28 February – 1st ODI
    2 March – 2nd ODI
    5 March – 3rd ODI
    8 March – 4th ODI
    10 March – 5th ODI
    15–19 March – Test Match

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/983693

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ireland are meme-level bad against spin, any kind of spin. I don't understand in today's age of cricket how they can't get better. Hiring a spin coach from Pak/SL/BD/Ind wouldn't be too expensive. I understand that the local conditions aren't overly spin friendly, but its a relative straight-forward pathway to improvement.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan spin attack is far superior , probably a one sided series.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banter View Post
    Ireland are meme-level bad against spin, any kind of spin. I don't understand in today's age of cricket how they can't get better. Hiring a spin coach from Pak/SL/BD/Ind wouldn't be too expensive. I understand that the local conditions aren't overly spin friendly, but its a relative straight-forward pathway to improvement.
    That is correct.

Eight batsmen were sent to Bangalore in December for a 10 day batting camp that focused primarily on spin so we'll see how that helps.

The issue is there are hardly any leg spinners at all in the domestic circuit, I can think of literally about three, and conditions are not condusive to spin either. Any spinners that we have are your conventional offspinners who pretty much just dart it in as opposed to spinning it much, which is accurate but not very threatening. When batsmen dont face any kind of quality legspin, theyre gonna struggle when they suddenly find themselves on a turner against guys of the calibre of Rashid Khan

And CI arent exactly awash with money.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

The Afghanistan selectors have taken a punt on youngsters Sharafuddin Ashraf and Ikram Ali Khil for the multi-format series against Ireland in Dehradun, but have left out Mujeeb Ur Rahman for the Test.

Afghanistan are set to hand out a number of new Test caps for their second ever Test match. All-rounder Ashraf, 17-year-old left-arm pacer Waqar Salamkhail and Ali Khil have been named in the 14-member squad announced on Thursday, 7 February.

All of Afsar Zazai, Amir Hamza, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Sayed Shirzad and Zahir Khan, who featured in the squad for the historic first Test in Bengaluru, miss out.

While Ashraf has been left out of the one-day international squad, he finds a place in the T20Is. Ali Khil, who has come up through the 'emerging' team set-up, has been included in the ODI squad as well, but not the T20Is.

With the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019 just a few months away, the selectors have identified an expanded 21-member squad for the 50-over games. The likes of Dawlat Zadran, Shapoor Zadran and Noor Ali Zadran have a chance to stake their claim for a World Cup spot, while the big-hitting Hazratullah Zazai has been given an opportunity in the ODIs.

Uncapped Zahir Khan, who provides a bit of variety with his left-arm orthodox, could make his debut. He is included in the squads for both the ODIs and the T20Is. Zia-Ur-Rehman, an unorthodox left-arm spinner, has been included for the T20Is.

Afghanistan and Ireland play three T20Is, five ODIs and one Test starting 21 February. Afghanistan had undergone training camps in Chennai and Bengaluru in preparation for what will be a major series for both sides.

Squads

Test: Asghar Afghan (c), Mohammad Shahzad, Ihsan Janat, Javed Ahmadi, Rahmat Shah, Nasir Jamal, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Ikram Ali Khil, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Wafadar Momand, Yamin Ahmadzai, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Waqar Salamkheil

T20I: Asghar Afghan (c), Usman Ghani, Najeeb Tarakai, Hazratullah Zazai, Samiullah Shinwari, Mohammad Nabi, Shafiqullah Shafaq, Rashid Khan, Najibullah Zadran, Karim Janat, Farid Malik, Sayed Shirzad, Zia-Ur-Rehman, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Zahir Khan, Sharafuddin Ashraf

ODI: Asghar Afghan (c), Mohammad Shahzad, Noor Ali Zadran, Javed Ahmadi, Hazratullah Zazai, Rahmat Shah, Samiullah Shinwari, Mohammad Nabi, Najibullah Zadran, Ikram Ali Khil, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Rashid Khan, Karim Janat, Gulbadin Naib, Aftab Alam, Dawlat, Zahir Khan, Farid Malik, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Shapoor Zadran, Sayed Shirzad
    Last edited by MenInG; 8th February 2019 at 00:17.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Just shows the financial muscle the ACB have that they can fly a few dozen domestic guys out to India for two weeks and name 21 players in an ODI squad.

Picking Shahzad for the Test and not T20's is very odd though.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just shows the financial muscle the ACB have that they can fly a few dozen domestic guys out to India for two weeks and name 21 players in an ODI squad.

Picking Shahzad for the Test and not T20's is very odd though.
    Will he be able to sustain for 5 days - that is the question.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    First T20I today

Venue:Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Dehradun, Uttarakhand

Afghanistan Squad:Asghar Afghan (c), Shafiqullah Shafiq (wk), Hazratullah Zazai, Samiullah Shenwari, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Najibullah Zadran, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Karim Janat, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Zahir Khan, Ziaur Rahman, Sayed Shirzad, Farid Malik, Najeeb Tarakai, Usman Ghani

Ireland Squadaul Stirling (c), Stuart Poynter (wk), Stuart Thompson, James Shannon, Andrew Balbirnie, Harry Tector, Kevin O Brien, Simi Singh, George Dockrell, Boyd Rankin, Peter Chase, Shane Getkate, Joshua Little, Andy McBrine, Lorcan Tucker

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two teams that are genuinely exciting - and will make a stronger case for new entrants than some of the recent one's.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Their top 3 bowlers have bowled exceptionally well.

MUjibur, Nabi, Rashid

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...-v-ire-2018-19

133 to get in 20 overs

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan starts with a 16 run over. Next over out.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Double strike by Boyd Rankin. Afghanistan don't have the patience do they?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan chase is not going well. 5 down already. But their lower order can bat too. So can't rule them out yet. 75 in 10 needed.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1st T20I: All-round Mohammad Nabi leads Afghanistan to five-wicket win over Ireland
    Mohammad Nabi’s all-round performance helped Afghanistan beat Ireland in opening match of the three-match T20I series by five wickets

Mohammad Nabi’s all-round performance helped Afghanistan beat Ireland in the opening match of the three-match T20I series by five wickets at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Dehradun on Thursday. (SCORECARD: Afghanistan vs Ireland, 1st T20I)

After his 2/16 in four overs had restricted Ireland to 132/6, Nabi walked out to bat with Afghanistan tottering at 30/3. That soon became 50/5 before Nabi joined forces with the experienced Najibullah Zadran (40* off 36 balls) to anchor the chase with an unbeaten 49 off 40 balls, with the help of five fours and one six.

Afghanistan stuttered early in chase losing skipper Asghar Afghan for five to Peter Chase in the second over. Hard-hitting Hazratullah Zazai was the next to go – holed out at deep square off the bowling off Boyd Rankin.

Rankin then dealt a second blow in the same over – the fourth of Afghanistan’s innings – with the wicket of Karim Janat for a three-ball duck.

Nabi then lost Samiullah Shinwari, who threw his wicket away with poor shot selection handing 19-year-old Josh Little his only wicket of the night with Kevin O’Brien taking a good catch at mid-on. Sharafuddin Ashraf’s departure for six had Afghanistan reeling at 50/5, before Zadran and Nadi added an unbeaten 86 runs to guide their team home.

Earlier, Ireland after opting to bat first got off to a bad start with half their side back in the hut for just 65 runs inside the first 12 overs. Mujeeb ur Rahman accounted for O’Brien in the fifth over for five while Janat removed Andy Balbirnie (5) an over later. Skipper Paul Stirling scored 23 off 25, but became Nabi’s first victim of the night.

Nabi and Rashid Khan further dented Ireland in the middle-overs with Nabi adding one more wicket to his tally, while Rashid claimed 2/21 in his four overs. Stuart Poynter (31*) and George Dockrell (34*) then added an unbeaten 67 runs for the sixth wicket to lead Ireland to 132/6 in their 20 overs, which eventually proved a bit little for the Afghanistan batting line-up.

Brief Scores: Afghanistan 136/5 (Mohammad Nabi 49*, Najibullah Zadran 40*; Boyd Rankin 2/39) beat Ireland 132/6 (George Dockrell 34*, Stuart Poynter 31*; Mohammad Nabi 2/16) by five wickets.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...ireland-805741

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Who's watching this @Donal Cozzie

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    wow Hazratullah Zazai's previous best was 36...

ﺳُﺒْﺤَﺎﻥَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪُﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭَ ﻻ ﺍِﻟﻪَ ﺍِﻟَّﺎ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﻭَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﺍَﻛْﺒَﺮُ
    PCL 3 FC CHAMPIONS | Loose Cannons CC | #CannonsFire

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan won by 84 runs against Ireland in 2nd T20I.

Afghanistan 278/3 (20.0 Overs)
    Ireland 194/6 (20.0 Overs)

Player of the Match: Hazratullah Zazai 162* runs, 62 balls

More records:
    Highest partnership for any wicket - 236 between Hazratullah Zazai & Usman Ghani
    Most sixes by a team in a T20I - 22
    Second highest individual score in T20Is - Hazratullah Zazai (162*)
    Third highest match aggregate in a T20I - 472 - Afg (278) & Ire (194)

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Record-breaking Zazai scripts Afghanistan victory

A sational, record-breaking display of hitting from Hazratullah Zazai powered Afghanistan to a series-sealing 84-run victory over Ireland in the second T20I in Dehradun, India.

The 20-year-old left-handed opener hit 162* from 62 balls – the second-highest T20I score after Aaron Finch's 172 against Zimbabwe last year – and blasted 16 sixes in the process, a new record for the format.

Zazai's knock propelled Afghanistan to 278/3, the highest-ever total in T20Is, while he and Usman Ghani (73 from 48) shared a record partnership for the format of 236. It was an incredible effort from the youngster, playing in just his fifth T20I, who appeared to be able to clear the ropes at will.

He benefitted from two costly missed chances in the field, George Dockrell dropping him in the deep when he was on 72 and Simi Singh spilling a chance to dismiss him on 113 – Shane Getkate the unfortunate bowler on both occasions.

When Ireland finally made the breakthrough in the 18th over the wicket deservedly fell to Boyd Rankin, who returned the excellent figures of 1/35 on a batsman's paradise of a a wicket, with Ghani caught at long-on by Josh Little. Zazai ploughed on though, finishing unbeaten as Afghanistan rewrote the record books.

Ireland had no choice but to come out all guns blazing and Paul Stirling dispatched the very first delivery of their reply for six before dominating an excellent opening stand of 126 with Kevin O'Brien which, for a time, kept them up with the required run rate. Their stand was a new record for Ireland for any wicket, as the records continued to tumble.

However, the fall of O'Brien (37 from 25), caught at deep cover off a Fareed Ahmad full toss, and the introduction of Rashid Khan effectively ended the contest.

Rashid, who had O'Brien dropped off his first delivery, cleaned up Andrew Balbirnie in his second over and when Stirling was caught off Mujeeb Ur Rahman, nine short of what would have been his first T20I century, the Afghans turned the screw.

Nonetheless, Stirling's innings of 91 from 50 balls was worthy of high praise, as he combined power and timing to register Ireland's highest-ever individual score in the format.

With the required rate rocketing, Rashid was in his element, dismissing Lorcan Tucker and Dockrell in his third over and Getkate (24 from 16 balls) in his fourth to finish with figures of 4/25. The leg-spinner has now taken 24 wickets at an average of 7.58 in T20Is against Ireland.

Singh (17*) and Stuart Poynter (15*) each played enterprising cameos but Afghanistan ran out comfortable winners, Ireland finishing on 194/6.

Ireland now just have pride to play for when the two sides meet again in the final match of the series on Sunday 24 February.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1062433

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man is at it again. 46/0 runs 3.4 overs Hazratullah Zazai 31 in 15 balls.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan 210/7 (20 overs)
    Ireland 158/7 * (17.3/20 overs, target 211)

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DEHRADUN - A pulsating run-chase orchestrated by Kevin O’Brien ensured that the final T20I from Dehradun went down to the wire as Ireland’s bid to claim a victory in the third match of the series and thus avoid a whitewash against Afghanistan was sustained to the last.

In the final analysis the tourists fell 32 runs short, as the task of hauling in Afghanistan’s immense 210-7 proved just too much. Kevin O’Brien’s brilliant 47-ball 74 underscored a spirited chase but Rashid Khan was at his supreme best, claiming a hat-trick to suffocate the Irish middle-order and take his team to a third straight win in the series.

It proved to be a masterstroke to hold back Rashid until the second half of the innings, and an epic tussle between O’Brien and the world’s No.1-ranked T20 bowler was finally settled by the bowler, who induced a thin edge for the keeper, Shafiqullah Shafaq, to take a smart low catch.

It was a somewhat anti-climactic end to a classic innings by the Irish opener and with his departure went Ireland’s hopes of hauling in a famous victory. Thereafter Rashid was irrepressible, and he duly claimed his first T20I hat-trick with the first three deliveries of his third over.

The final scoreline belies the tightness of the match. O’Brien was dominant from the start, pumping Zia Ur Rehman over mid-wicket with a short-arm pull, and repeating the shot two balls later, this time along the ground. After three overs, Ireland were on 32-1 and any sense that Afghanistan would cruise to victory had been shelved.

The final over of the powerplay confirmed it. O’Brien muscled the first ball over extra cover for a maximum and after six completed overs Ireland were up with the rate, rattling along at 11-per-over, for the loss of only Paul Stirling, who had holed out to mid-on for 10.

Andy Balbirnie had joined O’Brien at the fall of Stirling’s wicket and the pair were irresistible, sharing a 96-run partnership. Balbirnie ticked over in O’Brien’s slipstream, working the spinners through the offside, hanging back to cut, and generally bringing an assuredness to the run chase. But in the 14th over, with the century partnership one hit away, Zia Ur Rehman deceived him with a slower ball to inch through his defences.

With Balbirnie gone for 47, the wicket opened up the game for the fielding side. In the next over, a stunning direct hit at backward point by Najibullah Zadran removed the dangerous Stuart Thompson, swinging the match in Afghanistan’s favour.

Afghanistan’s innings was inspired by another outstanding display of range hitting, this time by the evergreen Mohammad Nabi, whose pedigree as one of the world’s most consistent short-format all-rounders was once again in evidence throughout the match.

With the bat, Nabi had joined the fray with Afghanistan having stalled following another lively start. From 46-0 after four overs, Ireland had restricted the batsmen thereafter, but initially in partnership with Asghar Afghan, Nabi soon set about the Irish seam attack. His fifty came from just 28 balls but it was Nabi’s subsequent assault that took Afghanistan up towards the 200-mark, with his next eight deliveries yielding 31 runs. Later in the field, he bowled economically, going at just seven runs-per-over, and claimed a superb boundary catch to see off George Dockrell.

For all of O’Brien’s brilliance and a number of promising performances in the field – it was Nabi’s all-round class that edged the match and brought him the Player of the match award.

The two sides will begin a five-match one-day international series starting on Thursday at the same venue.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Who's watching this @Donal Cozzie
    Watched the first and last games. Got about 11 overs into the second then gave up

Funny thing is, if you ignore the bowling, and I use this term loosely, "effort" in the 2nd match, we were far more competitive than I expected.

Obviously our bowling has miles to go but the batting is looking good imo, or at least improved.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched the first and last games. Got about 11 overs into the second then gave up

Funny thing is, if you ignore the bowling, and I use this term loosely, "effort" in the 2nd match, we were far more competitive than I expected.

Obviously our bowling has miles to go but the batting is looking good imo, or at least improved.
    Ireland should have been given test status back in 2012-2013. Their team was much better then this one.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Afghanistan beat Ireland in one-day opener in India

Afghanistan beat Ireland by five wickets in the first of five one-day internationals in India.

Paul Stirling's 89 helped Ireland to a modest 161 with Mujeeb Ur Rahman taking 3-14 in Dehradun.

Gulbadin Naib hit 46 and opener Mohammed Shahzab 43 as Afghanistan won with 8.1 overs to spare despite Boyd Rankin's 2-48.

Afghanistan whitewashed Ireland 3-0 in the Twenty20 series this month.

Ireland never recovered from slipping to 14-3, although Stirling added 78 for the seventh wicket with George Dockrell, who made 37.

But the loss of three wickets for one run ended their hopes of a competitive total and Stirling was the last man out with four balls remaining.

Dawlat Zadran finished with 3-25 and Gulbadin took 2-20 before top-scoring with 46 in Afghanistan's chase.

The second ODI takes place at the same venue on Saturday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/47406311

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Which channel is showing it in India?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Which channel is showing it in India?
    Dsports. Discovery's sports channel.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    2nd ODI between Afghanistan and Ireland to be played soon.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    The Australian team is in India for close to two weeks and it has not talked of ‘monitoring’ the situation in the border and but Ireland Cricket has released a statement saying it is ‘monitoring the current security situation between India and Pakistan.’

It may be a cause for surprise that why Ireland, of all, should be worried but they, sure, have a point of concern. The Irish national team has been in Dehradun since February 20, playing against Afghanistan and there have taken note of reports of air traffic being controlled in that sector.

Their statement read, “Officials from Cricket Ireland are actively monitoring the current security situation between India and Pakistan, amid reports that Dehradun airport had briefly shut down.

“Management is liaising with the squad, and engaging with the Afghanistan Cricket Board, ICC, Irish Department of Foreign Affairs and UK Foreign &Commonwealth Office.

“Preparations are currently continuing in advance of the upcoming ODI series, however, Cricket Ireland will comply with any official advice over coming days in order to ensure the safety and security of players and team management.”

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) refused to react to Ireland board’s statement saying the series has nothing to do with it. It is also maintaining that the fourth ODI in Mohali, which has also come into focus following recent developments in the border, remains unchanged. But one is given to understand that the BCCI continues to monitor the unfolding events.

Bangalore and Rajkot are likely alternatives should the game be taken out of Punjab but neither Saurastra nor Karnataka associations have been told to be prepared.

Even a Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) official told this paper yesterday that their information is that the March 10 game stays in Mohali.
    Ombudsman checks in

Meanwhile, in an entirely different development, the newly-appointed Ombudsman Justice DK Jain has taken charge. He was in the board office in Mumbai yesterday and the BCCI has also prepared an email id (ombudsman@ bcci.tv) for complaints to be sent in. However, the first task for Justice Jain will be to address the case if Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul, who were suspended for some time for comments in Koffee With Karan show.

Coming back to Dehradun, Afghanistan have won all four games – three T20Is and one ODI – against Ireland so far. There are four more ODIs and a Test (from March 15-19) to be played.

https://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.c...w/68225236.cms

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan had made 250/7 in 48.3 overs before showers forced a premature conclusion to the second ODI at Dehradun v Ireland.

The hosts had won the toss and elected to bat, allowing Hazratullah Zazai to demonstrate his explosive form from the off. He smashed his second ball, bowled by Tim Murtagh, out of the stadium for six, and continued in the same vein. Off-spinner Andy McBrine, opening the bowling in a change of tack for Ireland, was plundered for 14 runs in his third over, but the big-hitting opener saved his most severe treatment for Irish debutant James Cameron-Dow.

The left-arm spinner’s maiden international over was picked off for 18 runs, Zazai striking two sixes and a four in three deliveries, the first of which brought up his maiden ODI fifty. He soon fell for 67, hoicking a catch to Andrew Balbirnie, running back at slip, and Ireland continued their fightback when George Dockrell removed Javed Ahmadi for 22 in the next over.

Rahmat Shah and Hashmatullah Shahidi each added half-centuries to drive Afghanistan into a strong position, but the batsmen to follow couldn’t quite build on a platform of 179/2. Captain Asghar Afghan was dismissed for 8, Mohammad Nabi for 24, and Gulbadin Naib for 3 as Ireland’s bowlers put the breaks on Afghanistan’s charge.

Only four boundaries were possible from the fall of the fourth wicket onwards, the last of which was the very last action of the day, Rashid Khan hitting the third ball of the 49th over for six. It suggested some late fireworks might be on the cards. Instead, all that was on offer was a damp squib, as the players were forced by rain from the field straight after, never to return as the showers persisted.

Afghanistan lead the five-match series 1-0, with three games left to play.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1083959

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Afghan spinners .

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan take on Ireland in the 3rd ODI today in Dehradun.

Teams:
    Afghanistan (From): Hazratullah Zazai, Javed Ahmadi, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Asghar Afghan(c), Mohammad Nabi, Ikram Ali Khil(w), Gulbadin Naib, Rashid Khan, Sayed Shirzad, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Samiullah Shenwari, Mohammad Shahzad, Najibullah Zadran, Karim Janat, Zahir Khan, Fareed Malik, Noor Ali Zadran, Aftab Alam, Dawlat Zadran, Shapoor Zadran

Ireland (From): Paul Stirling, William Porterfield(c), Andrew Balbirnie, James McCollum, Kevin O Brien, Simi Singh, Stuart Poynter(w), George Dockrell, Barry McCarthy, Tim Murtagh, Boyd Rankin, Peter Chase, Andy McBrine, James Cameron-Dow, Lorcan Tucker, Stuart Thompson

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Afg vs IRE INPROGRESS

Afghanistan 6/0 (2.2 ov)

Afghanistan opt to bat

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan 256/8 in 50 Overs.

Najibullah Zadran 105 off 98 balls 4sx5 6sx5

Asghar Afghan 75 off 104 balls 4sx4 6sx3

Boyd Rankin 10 Overs 2 for 56

Tim Murtagh 10 Overs 2 for 60.
    Last edited by shaaik; 5th March 2019 at 15:49.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    A stunning knock of 145 not out from Andy Balbirnie – the third-highest ODI score by an Ireland player – helped Ireland secure a long-awaited victory over Afghanistan in the third ODI at Dehradun.

Balbirnie combined with George Dockrell for a 143-run partnership to take Ireland to their first victory of the series, after Afghanistan appeared to have taken firm control of the game, with the Irish 73/4 in their chase of 257.

Balbirnie’s heroics followed on from an Afghan innings that saw Najibullah Zadran score his maiden international century, an excellent knock after Ireland had threatened to bowl Afghanistan out cheaply.

After 19 overs, Afghanistan were reeling on 74/5. Mohammad Shahzad, Rahmat Shah and Samiullah Shinwari departed for single-figure scores, while Hazratullah Zazai – threatening to continue his strong run of form – was run out by Tim Murtagh with a direct hit for a 33-ball 34.

Tim Murtagh claimed two wickets, one via a run out Tim Murtagh claimed two wickets, one via a run out
    An Afghan resurgence came in the shape of skipper Asghar Afghan and Najibullah, who put on 117 runs for the sixth wicket before Boyd Rankin had Asghar removed for 75.

The dismissal of Asghar was followed by Mohammad Nabi (2) in the very same over, leaving Afghanistan 193/7 with six overs left to play. This was no issue for Najibullah, who accelerated in brilliant fashion, seemingly on a one-man mission to take his side to a respectable score.

Having reached his fifty from 75 balls, the explosive left-hander took just 22 more balls to reach three figures. While Najibullah found some luck – he was dropped by Andy McBrine two balls prior to reaching his century – Ireland were on the end of some ferocious big-hitting, as Najibullah pounded five sixes and five fours in his 98-ball stay at the crease.

Murtagh and Rankin picked up two wickets for the Irish, and McBrine impressed with his off-spin once more having collected 2/43 in the previous ODI. He finished with 1/37 from his 10 overs here, having been tasked once more with taking the new ball.

Ireland’s top order struggles with the bat looked set to continue when Mujeeb had William Porterfield (3) dismissed cheaply with the new ball, while Dawlat Zadran picked up the wickets of Paul Stirling (20) and Simi Singh (1). With Kevin O’Brien out for 21, an Irish win seemed improbable.

Balbirnie and Dockrell then set about upstaging the Asghar-Najibullah partnership. The pair tackled the threatening Afghan bowling attack with great finesse, putting on 143 runs together, with Dockrell reaching his second ODI fifty, while Balbirnie went to his third, and finest, ODI century.

At one stage, it appeared that it was destined for the two to secure victory together, but Dockrell (54) was stumped by Mohammad Shahzad off the bowling of Nabi to leave Ireland 216/5. A duck for Stuart Poynter brought more pressure onto the Irish, as the threat of the Balbirnie-Dockrell partnership going to waste loomed large.

Andy McBrine’s innings of nine thus proved to be an important one, as Balbirnie controlled the run chase at the other end. It nearly all came to a crashing end when Balbirnie sent the ball to short fine-leg while on 136, but a simple catch popped out of the hands of Rahmat Shah to save Ireland’s skin.

It proved a fatal blow to Afghanistan’s chances of stealing back victory, with Balbirnie sealing the win with a boundary off the final ball of the penultimate over.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1087310

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Ireland broke their winless streak on the tour at long last with a close four-wicket win in the third ODI, but can they build on it when the two sides clash again on Friday, 8 March?

Overview

Afghanistan v Ireland
    4th ODI
    Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Dehradun
    Tuesday, 5 March, 2:00pm local time, 8:30am GMT

Five games into the tour, Ireland hadn't won a single match, swept 3-0 in the Twenty20 International series, and losing the first ODI before the second game was washed out. They were finally able to pull one over Afghanistan with an Andy Balbirnie-inspired victory in the third match.

Ireland's recent record against Afghanistan isn't impressive. They have won the odd game, but those wins haven't often come in succession. In the last 24 months, Ireland have won just six matches across both white-ball formats while losing 16.

In that period, only twice have they been able to win more than one game on the trot. They have a chance to reverse that trend in Dehradun on Friday, 8 March.

Ireland's batting through the series has appeared a touch frail. Consistency has eluded majority of the batsmen, but they will draw inspiration from the stellar 136-ball 145 not out that Balbirnie scored to keep their chances of a series win alive.

It was a truly impressive knock on a pitch that was wearing a bit. Balbirnie showed good skill in tackling the threat of spinners Rashid Khan and Mujeeb ur Rahman. Balbirnie's efforts were complemented by George Dockrell, who justified his promotion to No. 6 with a composed 54 in an important 143-run stand.

As for the bowling, Ireland have enjoyed good starts in almost all the games in the series, but have failed to capitalise as one or the other Afghanistan batsman has stepped up to post a big score. In the previous game, that honour belonged to Najibullah Zadran, whose unbeaten 104 helped Afghanistan recover from 74/5.

Ireland will need to fix their death bowling, which is the phase when Afghanistan tend to really hurt them. One positive for them, though, is that Dockrell was very economical. His form with the ball hasn't dipped in recent times even as his batting skills have improved, and he looked threatening in the previous game.

As for Afghanistan, their bowling has been quite excellent, but it is from the batsmen that they will expect more consistency. The top-order needs to produce more steady starts to reduce the pressure on the middle order.

That will be key as Afghanistan try to prove that the defeat in the third ODI was an aberration and aim to return to their winning ways.

Key players

Rashid Khan (Afghanistan): The wily leg-spinner wasn't able to have much of an impact in the previous game and will be eager to return to his best. In this series, Khan hasn't really done justice to his batting abilities, and that is something he would like to set right should the opportunity arise. If he does come good in both departments, things will suddenly become a lot more difficult for Ireland.

Andy Balbirnie (Ireland): Named Player of the Match in the previous game, Balbirnie will take a lot of confidence from that monumental effort. It was his third ODI hundred. A lot of Aghanistan's success in ODIs has come through their bowlers, and if Balbirnie can thwart them the way he did, it will be a big boost for his team.

Conditions

There is some rain forecast for Friday afternoon, but things look significantly more promising in the later part of the day. The pitch at Dehradun has been a touch slow, but there are runs in it once batsmen get their eye in.

Squads

Afghanistan: Asghar Afghan(c), Mohammad Shahzad, Noor Ali Zadran, Javed Ahmadi, Hazratullah Zazai, Rahmat Shah, Samiullah Shenwari, Mohammad Nabi, Najibullah Zadran, Ikram Ali Khil, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Rashid Khan, Karim Janat, Gulbadin Naib, Aftab Alam, Dawlat Zadran, Zahir Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Shapoor Zadran, Sayed Shirzad, Fareed Malik

Ireland: William Porterfield(c), Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, James Cameron-Dow, George Dockrell, Andy McBrine, Barry McCarthy, Tim Murtagh, James McCollum, Kevin O Brien, Stuart Poynter, Boyd Rankin, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Lorcan Tucker

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    AFG 37/2 (8.2 Ovs) CRR: 4.44
    Ireland opt to bowl

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Porterfield urges Ireland to 'negate individual errors

William Porterfield, the Ireland captain, rued the batting errors that led to a 109-run defeat against Afghanistan in the fourth one-day international but remained optimistic ahead of the final game.

Ireland seized the early advantage in Dehradun. Electing to field first, they had reduced Afghanistan to 81/6 within the first 20 overs, before Mohammad Nabi, Asghar Afghan and Rashid Khan pushed the total past 220 with vital half-centuries.

That swung the momentum in Afghanistan's favour, and the visitors could never really make a comeback thereafter. They struggled

“Coming into the game, we were happy where we were at. But today, quite a few individual errors cost us with the bat in that chase," said Porterfield after the game on Friday, 8 March. "If we can negate a few of those, then we put ourselves in a decent position to come home strong.

“I'm sure on another day, a few of those that crept past the edge, they would have been bowled out for a lot less. They’ve got a deep batting line-up, and it would have been nice to have gotten them out for a few less. I'm not overly concerned [about] how we approached with the ball, it was more how we handled it with the bat.”

We've lost one and bounced back, we've now just got to bounce back again

The fifth and final ODI will be held in Dehradun on 10 March, with just a one-day break between the two fixtures. Ireland still have a very real chance of taking something out of the tour by winning this game and consequently levelling the series 2-2.

“While there is not a lot you can do in one day, you can go in the nets and get yourself feeling good," Porterfield pointed out. "We've just got to approach the game like we have done every other game in the series. We've lost one and bounced back, we've now just got to bounce back again. If we can negate a few individual errors over the 100 overs, then we're not far off.”

"You need to enjoy your fielding, batting and bowling"

Rashid Khan, the Afghanistan all-rounder, was the lynchpin of their spirited fightback in the game. He notched up a 58-ball 52 with the bat, returned 2/22 in his six-over spell, and also acted as the stand-in captain in the absence of Asghar Afghan, who was retracted after sustaining a shoulder injury in the first innings.

"I am always trying my best in the batting department," insisted Rashid, who was adjudged Player of the Match. "Today, I did it for the team, they needed me. I try to deliver my best. Got a fifty at a crucial time, when the team needed it.

"You need to keep yourself fresh, you need to enjoy your fielding, batting and bowling. That's what I am doing from the last three years. I believe in my skills and enjoy the game. Hopefully, need to do the best things and grab the opportunity in the next match too."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1090373

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afghanistan 22/1 after 6 Overs.

Ireland win the toss and opt to bowl first

Ireland XI: William Porterfield (capt), Paul Stirling, Andy Balbirnie, Simi Singh, Kevin O'Brien, George Dockrell, Stuart Poynter (wk), Andy McBrine, James Cameron-Dow, Tim Murtagh, Boyd Rankin

Afghanistan XI: Mohammad Shahzad (wk), Javed Ahmadi, Rahmat Shah, Asghar Afghan (capt), Najibullah Zadran, Samiullah Shinwari, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Zahir Khan, Shapoor Zadran

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Fantastic comeback by Ireland to tie the series 2-2

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zahir Khan and Sayed Shirzad called up to Afghanistan Test squad

Left-arm wrist-spinner Zahir Khan and left-arm seamer Sayed Shirzad have been added to Afghanistan’s squad for their maiden home Test match against Ireland In Dehradun in India.

Zahir, 20 years old, made his full international debut for Afghanistan in the final ODI of their drawn series against Ireland, returning 2/55, but has been in and around the set-up for a while.

He first represented his country in 2015 in the Intercontinental Cup, taking 7/69 on first-class debut against Papua New Guinea, and was part of the squad that made it to the Under 19 Men’s Cricket World Cup semi-finals in 2018. His current first-class record is stellar – 34 wickets from seven games at an average of 13.14.

Zahir Khan has played at two successive U19 World Cups Zahir Khan has played at two successive U19 World Cups
    He has also played for Lancashire in England’s T20 Blast, while only injury prevented him from making his IPL debut last season for Rajasthan Royals.

It was injury too that has prevented him from featuring more for Afghanistan recently, with the team management monitoring his progress before adding him to the squad.

Shirzad is more experienced, having played four T20Is and made his ODI debut during the Ireland series. His first-class record is also excepetional – 49 wickets from 15 games at an average of 25.38 – and as a left-armer, he offers Afghanistan a different angle if the pitch looks seamer-friendly.

“Both Zahir Khan and Sayed Shirzad have very good bowling records in first-class cricket and have played in the ICC Intercontinental Cup for Afghanistan,” said chief selector Dawlat Ahmadzi. “We were awaiting Zahir’s fitness report when announcing the initial 14-member Test squad and now that he is fully fit, we have decided to add him to the squad. Sayed Shirzad is added as an additional pacer in the squad to have another bowling option if needed.”

The one-off Test begins at Dehradun on 15 March.

Squad: Asghar Afghan (c), Mohammad Shahzad (wk), Ihsanullah Janat, Javed Ahmadi, Rahmat Shah, Nasir Jamal, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Ikram Alikhail, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Wafadar Momand, Yamin Ahmadzai, Sharafudin Ashraf, Waqar Salamkhail, Zahir Khan, Sayed Shirzad

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1096157

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    'Both sides go in believing they can come out on top' – Ireland excited for Afghanistan Test

Afghanistan and Ireland have shared a prolific rivalry in the recent years, but there's a fresh wave of excitement as the teams get ready to meet each other in Tests for the first time.

'Afghanistan vs Ireland' has become an increasingly common fixture in the recent past. Just since the start of 2018, they've played each other in 15 limited-overs matches and the rivalry is set to turn a new chapter when they meet for their first Test against each other in Dehradun, starting Friday, 15 March.

The fact that both Ireland and Afghanistan have only played one Test each to date adds to the occasion. Ireland gave Pakistan a bit of a scare in their maiden men's Test in Malahide in March of 2018. Afghanistan, however, perished to a big innings defeat against India inside two days in Bengaluru.

Playing in familiar conditions, Afghanistan will want to prove their mettle against Ireland, who are more accustomed to playing on seaming wickets. All things considered, the match is a momentous event in itself and one can expect the two teams to put on a competitive show. The players themselves can't wait to get out on the field.

"As an experience, it’s going to be hard to beat the feeling around Ireland’s first Test last year, but it’s always very special to play a Test match for your country and it will always have a buzz about it," said Boyd Rankin in lead up to the Test.

Paul Stirling echoed those sentiments, while also emphasising on the rivalry between the teams: "I think there will always be something special about every Test match we play in. The rivalry between these two teams is what sets this one apart from others, both sides will go in believing they can come out on top."

For a lot of players donning the Test hat is the realisation of a long-standing dream. Kevin O'Brien, who made Ireland's maiden Test a rather memorable affair by scoring 118 to set Pakistan a somewhat tricky 160 to chase, can't wait to get out on the field once more.

"Our first Test match at Malahide was a very special moment. And this Test will be also very special. Test cricket is something I grew up with, watching it on TV when I was younger. I think every Test match for an Irish cricketer will give you a buzz and something which shouldn’t be taken for granted."

"Representing Ireland in any format is a dream come true so to be able to be one of the first to do it in Test cricket is obviously an even better feeling," Andy Balbirnie chimed in.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1105832