Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"T10 is a format that we should definitely try to take to the Olympics" : Shahid Afridi

After having played a match-winning innings against Northern Warriors, Pakhtoons captain Shahid Afridi said he is not playing the game silence his critics.

"I am not playing to silence my critics. I am playing because I am enjoying playing the game. I have played long enough at the top level for Pakistan. I am fit and I am enjoying the game even now," the former Pakistan captain said.

"There are many talented players in the dressing room. It's my honour that I am leading them even at this age. If I keep playing like this and if the boys keep learning, it's great.

"I think it's also great for this league that so many big names have come here and played a part in making this T10 a big success. The youngsters who want to play for their countries in future are getting a great chance to learn from these legends," he added.

Afridi then said the T10 format has Olympic potential.

"I think T10 is a format that we should definitely try to take it to the Olympics. Through this format, we can tell people in non-cricket playing countries what cricket is really about," he said.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/c...critics-afridi

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't disagree with him. Even T20 can be lengthy for an olympic sport game me thinks.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    Can't disagree with him. Even T20 can be lengthy for an olympic sport game me thinks.
    Exactly your correct Olympic sports are at max 90 mins long so t10 would be the way to go if it's the case it should be the only format they use for internationals in t10 their shouldn't be t10 World Cup or even series just for olympics

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nextover666666 View Post
    Exactly your correct Olympic sports are at max 90 mins long so t10 would be the way to go if it's the case it should be the only format they use for internationals in t10 their shouldn't be t10 World Cup or even series just for olympics
    Agree! I don't think there needs to be another version of WC. However play it in olympics/domestic

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good suggestion by Afridi - T10 would be a good stepping stone for cricket to receive a more global appeal.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would be idiotic. Cricket does not belong in the Olympics.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Only way you can have cricket in Olympics

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Could nearly hear the cash behind this statement

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Only way you can have cricket in Olympics
    Agreed. Any other format is too long.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its really sad to see that cricket is getting destroyed by the cricketers themselves who have played the game for over 2 decades and they know the value of it.

Money wins I guess all the time

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get into Olympics with t10 league then what is the benefit???

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When baseball and softball cannot make it, how can cricket?

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Why cricket needs to be an Olympic game? It’s played seriously by 10-12 nations & in half of those, it’s a dying game.

Before Cricket, few other team games should make it to Olympics - baseball, giridoron (yanki eggball), softball, lacrosse, Rugby (not 7s, proper game) ....

Cricket is best at it’s ancient form & that doesn’t suit Olympics - T10 doesn’t represent cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Will be demeaning to the game. Will become more like exhibition sports.
    T20s/T10s are best left to domestic leagues for entertainment.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Shahid Afridi carrying the Olympic flag for Pakistan - now wouldnt that be an iconic image?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T10 is not cricket. Cricket doesn’t belong in the Olympics

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't even call T10 cricket then if 50 y/o's can come in and dominate it.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone watch this rubbish ?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess no matter what we think and even if we don't support. T10 is gonna happen just like T20 did.

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARK Rafay View Post
    Guess no matter what we think and even if we don't support. T10 is gonna happen just like T20 did.
    No way. Top international cricketers should hang their heads in shame if they get involved with this rubbish. In all of eight overs I have watched of this tournament, I haven’t seen ONE proper cricketing shot

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    No way. Top international cricketers should hang their heads in shame if they get involved with this rubbish. In all of eight overs I have watched of this tournament, I haven’t seen ONE proper cricketing shot
    That is what we think. And I totally agree that this shouldn't happen. But as you see people are getting more interested in shorter formats and are moving away from test cricket. The crowd doesn't want to watch 5 Day Test match. Which means it doesn't generate the revenue that T20 does and now T10 is.

In fact, I think T20 is enough to provide that entertainment. But wouldn't be surprised if T10 is introduced as a solution (A.K.A more money) instead of promoting and looking into test cricket itself.

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T10 should be named something else. Its not cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Who'll even watch it? Even if it's the olympics!

Why on earth will the ICC let this format get an International badge. Being a T20 lover, I still think it's absolutely joke of a thing.

Cricket is a game followed by over billions of masses, if the Olympics need it, should be T20!

If life on earth is temporary...what make you think that your problems are permanent?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by super hitter View Post
    Who'll even watch it? Even if it's the olympics!

Why on earth will the ICC let this format get an International badge. Being a T20 lover, I still think it's absolutely joke of a thing.

Cricket is a game followed by over billions of masses, if the Olympics need it, should be T20!
    Agree that t20 should be the way to go but it's still long for an Olympic event

T10 would be the best option from an Olympic point of view if they can accompdate t20 than that would be the best

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Why cricket needs to be an Olympic game? It’s played seriously by 10-12 nations & in half of those, it’s a dying game.

Before Cricket, few other team games should make it to Olympics - baseball, giridoron (yanki eggball), softball, lacrosse, Rugby (not 7s, proper game) ....

Cricket is best at it’s ancient form & that doesn’t suit Olympics - T10 doesn’t represent cricket.
    Cricket is hardly ancient as a sport, it's at most 400-500 years old. Compare that with most of the track and field sports which have their roots back to Ancient Greece. THOSE are ancient.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Whilst there is money in this then players will play in this format and plug it.

It's easy money for players, bowl a couple of overs, slog from ball one and get paid well to do it.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I never got the obsession of adding major sports into Olympics. If an Olympic gold isn't the most celebrated thing in your sport then it shouldn't be part of Olympics. They make Tennis stars, soccer stars etc compete in Olympics but the Olympics really doesn't define their greatness. Its always been the grand slams in Tennis and the world cup / champions league etc on football. Cricket will be no different.

Besides, Olympics in its present form is unsustainable. They host it and spend billions of dollars on world class infrastructure never to be used to the same capacity ever again. A total waste of money. Ghost Olympic venues will scare you. Really.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    T10 is just stupid, very very stupid.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zn426 View Post
    Cricket is hardly ancient as a sport, it's at most 400-500 years old. Compare that with most of the track and field sports which have their roots back to Ancient Greece. THOSE are ancient.
    There is a difference between medal sports & team game. Among modern team games, Cricket started it's international format in 1876 and since then the core of the game has remained same. Compared to that, soccer, basketball, field hockey, even rugby is quite young game.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Olympics medals are about excellence. Sportsmen work their guts out for Olympic glory. It is an event where we see great and memorable performances and Mr.Afridi wants a mickey mouse format to be a part of Olympics. Why don't Soccer bosses have Futsal in this prestigious event?

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    I never got the obsession of adding major sports into Olympics. If an Olympic gold isn't the most celebrated thing in your sport then it shouldn't be part of Olympics. They make Tennis stars, soccer stars etc compete in Olympics but the Olympics really doesn't define their greatness. Its always been the grand slams in Tennis and the world cup / champions league etc on football. Cricket will be no different.

Besides, Olympics in its present form is unsustainable. They host it and spend billions of dollars on world class infrastructure never to be used to the same capacity ever again. A total waste of money. Ghost Olympic venues will scare you. Really.
    Agree.
    Cricket already has the 3rd biggest sports event in the World, the World Cup; the sport doesn't need Olympics sort of a platform, it's mainly for the other, much simpler, sports games I'd say.

If life on earth is temporary...what make you think that your problems are permanent?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    T10 is an absolute joke of a creation. Just blind slogging. Not what cricket is about.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    T10 is for retirees and rejects who can’t even crack it at domestic level.

It is a pensioners league, should be called pensioners super league, or PS-... never mind

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think nano cricket is best suited for Olympics

ﺳُﺒْﺤَﺎﻥَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪُﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭَ ﻻ ﺍِﻟﻪَ ﺍِﻟَّﺎ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﻭَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﺍَﻛْﺒَﺮُ
    PCL 3 FC CHAMPIONS | Loose Cannons CC | #CannonsFire

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    india
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even 10-10 is too long for olympics. Otherwise why only 16 teams in olympics instead of 32 in football wc.

Running time should be 10 minutes max like boxing match. 1 over each. Then 64 nations can participate and anybody can win.