Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[VIDEO/PICTURES] Mohammed Hafeez announces retirement from Test cricket

Mohammad Hafeez at a presser:

"I am announcing my retirement from Test cricket"

"I am really happy and proud because I feel I worked hard in the last 15 years of my career. Thank you very much to the PCB, they helped me in each step of my career"

"Many thanks to all the people who backed me and the management who gave me a chance and forgave my mistakes"

"I would like to thank my parents for supporting me"

"I would like to thank my family for their support"

"It was a tough decision and I was thinking about it for the last 2 weeks, I think this is the best time for me to leave Test cricket"

"I want to put all my efforts in white ball cricket where I feel I can offer more for Pakistan cricket moving forward"

"This is very much my own decision and I told the board and my teammates"

"My whole energy will now be focused on white-ball cricket"

"I've had an incredible journey in Test cricket"

"Test cricket plays a role in making you a complete person"

"As an opener in Tests, I tried my level best in my humble capacity and I am very satisfied and proud of my contributions"

"This decision was made from before, but I think announcing now was best for everyone so that we have clarity"

Last edited by Zeeraq; 4th December 2018 at 14:25.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Malik happened. He retired the same way after scoring double hundred.

Good for him and team. (He probably knew management will not play him in South Africa) so it was about time.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reaction? Shukar alhamdulillah.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Great news.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have been there for SA tour, his experience is needed especially in Tests.... Sed end to his Test career where he was blessed in all facets

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lmao, what an attention seeking selfish player.

Retires in the middle of series decider.

There is a limit to attention seeking bhayya jii.

Aur ye naik kaam krna he tha to should have retired from all forms of cricket.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good decision.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Lmao, what an attention seeking selfish player.

Retires in the middle of series decider.

There is a limit to attention seeking bhayya jii.

Aur ye naik kaam krna he tha to should have retired from all forms of cricket.
    Indeed. Had he retired after Aus series it would have given Sarfraz and Mickey the opportunity to try out someone else.

Still happy that he has quit.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the source ?

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Source?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shukar Alhamdulillah my PP friend's are so happy....

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    Indeed. Had he retired after Aus series it would have given Sarfraz and Mickey the opportunity to try out someone else.

Still happy that he has quit.
    Hafeez and Shehzad types only think about themselves.

Is sai koi poochay why did he play 5 tests in Uae and especially this series when retirement was in his mind (in actual was scared touring SA). We could have easily tried Abid as an opener in this series who is in top form and might come in line for SA series.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    What's the source ?
    He announced it at a press conference after the day's play.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope Imam retires too

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would he retire mid test? Probably told that he won't be picked ever again.

Few years down the line I see him coming on talk shows and saying that despite being the legend that he is, he was forced to retire after a minor blip in form.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is sai koi poochay why did he play 5 tests in Uae and especially this series when retirement was in his mind (in actual was scared touring SA). We could have easily tried Abid as an opener in this series who is in top form and might come in line for SA series.
    It's pretty clear he feared either being dropped or knew that he wouldn't do much in SA in those conditions.

Either way he has made things tough for Mickey and Sarfraz. Now they will have to try new guys out in those first games in SA.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sad news is he is only retiring from test cricket

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mesmerizer85 View Post
    Hope Imam retires too
    Imam just needs 2 full seasons in FC.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent and responsible decision.

But Inzamam should hang his head in shame, truly pathetic selection from him. Should have never come to this

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am announcing my retirement from Test cricket" - Mohammed Hafeez

I am announcing my retirement from Test cricket"

"I am really happy and proud because I feel I worked hard in the last 15 years of my career. Thank you very much to the PCB, they helped me in each step of my career"

"Many thanks to all the people who backed me and the management who gave me a chance and forgave my mistakes"

"I would like to thank my parents for supporting me"

"I would like to thank my family for their support"

When in Doubt- Act Stupid....... That's Pakistan Cricket for you.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    It's pretty clear he feared either being dropped or knew that he wouldn't do much in SA in those conditions.

Either way he has made things tough for Mickey and Sarfraz. Now they will have to try new guys out in those first games in SA.
    I blame this selfish player for putting himself above the team and selectors for not trying out new players.

Now we will most probably go back to Shan Masood and Inzi will say as likes of Abid doesnt have any experience so better to try Shan. What a farce :/

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mesmerizer85 View Post
    Hope Imam retires too
    Ha ha

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1660 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Steyn is very relieved

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blame this selfish player for putting himself above the team and selectors for not trying out new players.

Now we will most probably go back to Shan Masood and Inzi will say as likes of Abid doesnt have any experience so better to try Shan. What a farce :/
    Shan is mediocre suits for only odis bring back sami aslam and debut abid ali.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Should have retired after England 2016 series.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Steyn is very relieved
    Relived or angry

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Steyn is very relieved
    He shouldn't be because Imam is on his way!

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    964 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He's been a good player for us, all in all. At 38 years of age, even the very best start declining rapidly so it is not surprising that Hafeez experienced the same. He should now focus on T20 leagues around the world that will no doubt be quite welcoming to such a useful all-rounder.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakhar zamanz best chance now.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah Rabbani View Post
    Shan is mediocre suits for only odis bring back sami aslam and debut abid ali.
    Shan is a mediocre player and weak against fast bowling.

I am not buying this recent hype that he is scoring in list As. He will fail in SA.

On other side, Abid has a decent defensive technique and has scored on green pitches of Islamabad as an opener in last few seasons. I would definitely prefer Abid. It was ideal time to give him a go in this series against NZ.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Very selfish of him to retire after playing the best innings of the season (first Test, Australia) and knowing that regardless of his poor form, he can force his way back into the team because the hyped up youngsters who will replace him will inevitably fail, as we saw in the Asia Cup.

He simply cannot win. I have personally accepted the reality that he makes our team in all formats on batting merit. He is not a great player by any stretch, but he is more than decent for our pathetic standards.

He is the only opener we have who can score big at a fluent rate, and yes he was never going to do well in South Africa, which opener in the country today has the skill, confidence and temperament to handle Rabada, Steyn and Philander in South Africa?

I am indifferent towards his retirement because I don’t think it makes us any worse of better. With or without him, we are a mediocre, low ranked team and will remain so.

The series in South Africa will be a 3-0 whitewash regardless of which set of batsmen play. The myth that we are a better Test team without him will be busted just like in Limited Overs.

People should have enough nerve and respect to at least appreciate him for retiring when he could easily have forced his way back for the UAE/Asia Tests, because his replacement, some random batsman with a “talent spotter” thread on PP is unlikely to uproot any trees.

Same goes for Malik as well. He could easily have stretched his Test career in Asia for years. It may not be what we want to hear, but not everything that Hafeez and Malik do is selfish.

I personally respect him for making this call and not stretching his career further. Well done and let the detractors fume because their script of Hafeez forcing his way on the plane to South Africa has been derailed.

They were brushing themselves and doing bhangra over how Hafeez was going to fail in South Africa, and were coming up with fantasy dismissals, but he has proved to be a bigger and more dignified man than all of these little souls.

Well done on a respectable career. One of the most underrated Pakistani players in recent times, and has played some excellent knocks in Asian Tests. On his day, our best batsman in the UAE of his time (excluding Younis of course).

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am shocked- after such steller performances, he needed to have stayed for 3 years.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    He should now focus on T20 leagues around the world that will no doubt be quite welcoming to such a useful all-rounder.
    He has only retired from test cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news for Pakistan only in test

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a strong believer in when someone chooses to retire, we should respect them and acknowledge their contributions for their country. Hafeez did average almost 40 with the bat and was handy with the ball.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A nothing career.

His retirement is a new Dawn for our test team. Should have left the test team 5 years ago. I am genuinely happy. Joke of a cricketer. Mediocre at his best.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good riddance, should have retired 15 years ago, waste of space at top of the order.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Very selfish of him to retire after playing the best innings of the season (first Test, Australia) and knowing that regardless of his poor form, he can force his way back into the team because the hyped up youngsters who will replace him will inevitably fail, as we saw in the Asia Cup.

He simply cannot win. I have personally accepted the reality that he makes our team in all formats on batting merit. He is not a great player by any stretch, but he is more than decent for our pathetic standards.

He is the only opener we have who can score big at a fluent rate, and yes he was never going to do well in South Africa, which opener in the country today has the skill, confidence and temperament to handle Rabada, Steyn and Philander in South Africa?

I am indifferent towards his retirement because I don’t think it makes us any worse of better. With or without him, we are a mediocre, low ranked team and will remain so.

The series in South Africa will be a 3-0 whitewash regardless of which set of batsmen play. The myth that we are a better Test team without him will be busted just like in Limited Overs.

People should have enough nerve and respect to at least appreciate him for retiring when he could easily have forced his way back for the UAE/Asia Tests, because his replacement, some random batsman with a “talent spotter” thread on PP is unlikely to uproot any trees.

Same goes for Malik as well. He could easily have stretched his Test career in Asia for years. It may not be what we want to hear, but not everything that Hafeez and Malik do is selfish.

I personally respect him for making this call and not stretching his career further. Well done and let the detractors fume because their script of Hafeez forcing his way on the plane to South Africa has been derailed.

They were brushing themselves and doing bhangra over how Hafeez was going to fail in South Africa, and were coming up with fantasy dismissals, but he has proved to be a bigger and more dignified man than all of these little souls.

Well done on a respectable career. One of the most underrated Pakistani players in recent times, and has played some excellent knocks in Asian Tests. On his day, our best batsman in the UAE of his time (excluding Younis of course).
    You've got issues, my friend. Sometimes its okay to agree with the consensus. What is with the constant need to seek attention?

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wise move, Professor.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    I’m a strong believer in when someone chooses to retire, we should respect them and acknowledge their contributions for their country. Hafeez did average almost 40 with the bat and was handy with the ball.
    Respect when they retire at the right time for example like Alaistar Cook who put the team above himself.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    You've got issues, my friend. Sometimes its okay to agree with the consensus. What is with the constant need to seek attention?
    It is easier and more convenient to call me an attention-seeker instead of critiquing what I said, point by point. I do not blame you for taking the easy route.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would not have been a good choice to take to SA tour even if he wanted to go. He was only good for Asian conditions.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have you ever auditioned for stand-up comedy??

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Never been so happy at the news of somebodies retirement.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highlight of his Test cricket tenure was magnificent 151 in 2nd innings against England’s powerful attack.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Now please retire from one dayers as well.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    He would not have been a good choice to take to SA tour even if he wanted to go. He was only good for Asian conditions.
    Yar i don't think he was even good for Asian conditions at this point in his career as the new ball moves a bit here too.

Plus this line of thinking k play Hafeez here in UAE and try someone else in SA wasn't a smart move imo. Inzi messed it up. Now we will try a young opening combo directly in SA. This was a good time to give Abid a go so that he could have 5-6 innings under his belt before SA tour.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Also, I can only laugh at people suggesting that he retired today in order to divert the attention from the series.

Hello, we are not playing a World Cup here. It is a series between the 4th and the 6th ranked teams played in front of 15 people and 5 crows.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help but commend this decision by Hafeez. In Pakistan senior players have the tendency to hang around long after their time has passed and I'm glad he atleast realized that rather than being a walking wicket and a passenger in South Africa, he should give up his position for a youngster.

Still believe he is an asset in ODI cricket with his bowling and batting (when it comes off) and is vital to Pakistan's WC chances. So I'm glad he is turning his focus to limited-overs cricket where he has been most successful.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 4th December 2018 at 13:50.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed216 View Post
    Have you ever auditioned for stand-up comedy??
    Another one joins the list.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance of guard of honour from the Kiwis.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarwar89 View Post
    Highlight of his Test cricket tenure was magnificent 151 in 2nd innings against England’s powerful attack.
    Match-changing innings while rest of the batting was collapsing. Easily the best innings of his career

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Hafeez announced retirement from Test Cricket

Lahore December 4, 2018: All-rounder Mohammad Hafeez has announced his retirement from Test cricket with immediate effect. He has made the following statement on the occasion.

“Today I want to announce my retirement from the Test match format so that I can focus my energies on playing for Pakistan in the white ball formats. I am eyeing to represent Pakistan in the ICC World Cup next year.

I feel honoured that I represented the country in 55 Test matches including the opportunity of captaining the team, I feel satisfied that I performed to the best of my abilities in my 15 year-long Test career.

I wish the Test team the very best for their upcoming assignments starting with the tour to South Africa, the team management especially the coach and captain have worked very hard in forming an exciting core of players that can serve for long.”

Message from Chairman PCB:

Chairman PCB Mr. Ehsan Mani has congratulated Muhammad Hafeez on his Test career which includes 10 centuries and 12 half-centuries, besides accumulating a tally of 53wickets.

“Hafeez gave some memorable and matching winning performances for Pakistan in the Test match format; he lent great balance to the eleven with his bowling abilities. His contribution in Test cricket would be remembered for long time. I wish him the very best for the remainder of his international career.”

When in Doubt- Act Stupid....... That's Pakistan Cricket for you.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Don't have the time to write an essay to try to defend one of the most despicable players in Pakistani history in an attempt to gain some attention but what I will say is, it's always good to see retirements at the right time. Hafeez should have retired before this series so that his replacement would have a taste of test cricket before the SA tour (which is totally not coincidentally happening a month from now) but he recognises he's no longer good enough and will step down for better players to assume his position in the team.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mubarak Everyone Mubarak. This is the best news of 2018, hope he stick to it and its not just for the Africa tour.

Sarfaraz, Babar, Shehzad, Haris, Talat, Fakhar, Umar.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shan is a mediocre player and weak against fast bowling.

I am not buying this recent hype that he is scoring in list As. He will fail in SA.

On other side, Abid has a decent defensive technique and has scored on green pitches of Islamabad as an opener in last few seasons. I would definitely prefer Abid. It was ideal time to give him a go in this series against NZ.
    Shan might be cut out for limited-overs cricket but he will fail miserably if he plays another test. Abid Ali deserves a shot, he has been consistent in domestic and for the A team.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haters will say he did not retire on his peak.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I respect his decision to call it a day as his biggest critic. Takes a man to own up to his shortcomings and make way for someone better to do the job. Best wishes.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PCB Facebook page played a video that was recorded via someone's mobile of him sending out a retirement message. This message clearly didnt catch the PCB off guard or by surprise as they seem to be very well prepared in publishing it.

I think he must have been told by a PCB official to leave graciously whilst he can as they do not see a future with him. He has retired a year or two late. Should have solely focussed on ODI's and T20 just as Malik did.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whose next? Azhar Ali retirement countdown thread??

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He retired on a fitting note.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Azhar just got in form + next test tour is in the UAE is at the end of 2019. He will not retire before 2019/2020 season.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If he had any intention of retiring he should have left before this series so that a new opener could be tried in this series. Not only did we have the team have to suffer his poor performance but we will be going into the South Africa series with a debutante opener (or back to Shan Masood).

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    It is the only thing he has left in his career. He will hold onto it for years to come.

I think the next Pakistani player to announce his retirement would be Wahab, other than of course Malik and Hafeez retiring altogether after the World Cup.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    Haters will say he did not retire on his peak.
    He was at peak of mediocrity his whole test career!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want Asad Safique

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not always the most successful or like cricketer, but I respect his decision.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has been below average in the past 5 Tests, but Hafeez had a 53 average at a SR of 60 in the UAE in Tests before this home season. That is world class - at least by Pakistani standards easily.

I'm happy that he isn't going to SA now but let's not take away his valuable contributions to Pakistan in Tests in the UAE.

The fact that Hafeez had to retire at age 38 reflects more on the standard of our young batsmen coming in rather than on Hafeez. If we had a good batting system that threw up more Babar Azam's at the very least, then Hafeez would've been history 5 years ago. But none of our youngsters grabbed the opportunity when provided with one to cement themselves at the top of the order which is why Hafeez kept coming back.

And if our system keeps producing trash, then when Hafeez retires from ODI, people here will be reminiscing of the days when Hafeez would lend great balance to the side and be such an effective member of the team.

I'm not a great fan of Hafeez but I appreciate his services to Pakistan cricket over the years. His 150+ against England in the 2nd innings in the UAE remains of the great UAE knocks ever.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy, you really do love being a contrarian, its ok, seen many people with that disorder.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's sad how it's come about but was also inevitable. Steyn must be gutted though.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saved himself from embarrassment in South Africa
    Smart guy

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair to him he did give us 5-6 years good years and deserves appreciation even if he did carry on past his sell by date.

Thank you Hafeez, when things got really tough for PCT you helped the team ride the storm.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg111 View Post
    Boy, you really do love being a contrarian, its ok, seen many people with that disorder.
    You can say what you want, but I fail to see how this is a selfish decision.

He could have continued playing in the UAE for a couple of more years because Mickey and the PCB will not play hardball with him. They tried to do that in the Asia Cup and got owned.

Furthermore, his record as a batsman in the UAE is actually very good, and not many so-called young stalwarts are going to better his UAE numbers.

People are simply upset because they have been trolled by him yet again, because they did not expect him to retire even in their wildest dreams.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have done it a couple of years ago

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, everyone got what they wanted. Th guy will not be there to represent Pakistan in Test cricket at least. He will leave you after the World cup as well. Let him be I guess...

As for the current team and new lads, the time is now! Lets see all the talent that was blocked by Hafeez thrive now

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully real soon he is retired in all facets of the game...

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will leave you after the World cup as well.
    Allah na karay. Should retire from odis and t20s too asap.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yar i don't think he was even good for Asian conditions at this point in his career as the new ball moves a bit here too.

Plus this line of thinking k play Hafeez here in UAE and try someone else in SA wasn't a smart move imo. Inzi messed it up. Now we will try a young opening combo directly in SA. This was a good time to give Abid a go so that he could have 5-6 innings under his belt before SA tour.
    They should open with Imam-Azhar. And play Fakhar at 6 for quick runs. Babr can bat 5 with Shafiq 4.

I actually believe in winning matches where you can first for Pakistan that's in UAE. Hafeez in ODIs is still a good option in UAE with his bowling and batting so I will play him there. And I will worry about winning in SA and Aus later.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hafeez should have retired after the England tour in 2016, and to all intents and purposes he probably had tacitly given that he hadn't played a test in the two years till this fall. The team panicked after the Asia Cup debacle and recalled him.

I actually think Hafeez has been our best opener since Saeed Anwar retired, and his record bears that out. His 151 against England at Sharjah three years ago was a wonderful innings and won that series for us, I don't think any other Pakistani opener could have played in that manner. It's not his fault that all the other pretenders were woefully incompetent.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think I have it in me to watch 3-4 years of Azhar Ali in Test cricket. just a big no for me. It is sad to see a natural flowing batsman like Harris Sohail going down this route also.