Runs
    Mentioned
    1731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

PCB appoint Wasim Khan MBE as their Managing Director

Media Release

Appointment of Wasim Khan MBE as PCB’s Managing Director confirmed

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is pleased to announce that it has appointed Wasim KhanMBE as its Managing Director.

The appointment was finalised after a comprehensive two-phase selection process, which saw over 350 candidates expressing their interest following an advertisement for this position.

In the first phase, the nine shortlisted candidates were interviewed by a panel, that comprised Mr Bakhtiar Khawaja, HR Consultant and independent member of the panel, Mr Asad Ali Khan, Member Board of Governors (BOG) and President of Abacus Consulting, and Lt Gen (R) Javed Zia, Member BOG and Chairman Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC).

The list was reduced to three candidates, who were interviewed by Chairman PCB, Mr Ehsan Mani, and assisted by Mr Asad Ali Khan and Lt Gen (R) Javed Zia.

Wasim Khan, an MBA from Warwick Business School (one of the top-10 business schools in the world), is a former professional cricketer with a wealth of experience in cricket and cricket management.

Wasim, 47, played county cricket in England from 1995 to 2001, during which he represented Warwickshire, Sussex and Derbyshire. He also has playing experience in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. In a 58-match first-class career, Wasim scored 2,835 runs with five centuries and 17 half-centuries, with a highest score of 181.

Wasim was awarded MBE in 2013 and two years later, he was appointed as the Chief Executive of the Leicestershire County Cricket Club where he has enjoyed an extremely successful stint. In 2005, he was recruited by Lord Mervyn King, former Governor of the Bank of England, to leada £50million community development project that operated in 11,000 state schools and engaged 2.5 million children across England and Wales.

Wasim is on the board of Sport England, which oversees strategy and policy setting of 55 National Sports Governing Boards. He has also served on the Equality and Human Rights Commission Sports Group, and The Prince’s Trust Cricket Group, while he has been on the ECB’s Anti- Corruption and Integrity Unit for the last seven years. He was also recently given the responsibility by ECB of Chairing a working group that assessed and made recommendations on the domestic structure from 2020.

Wasim’s autobiography Brim Full of Passionwas voted as the Wisden Book of the Year 2006.

Commenting on his appointment, Wasim Khan said: “I am delighted to be offered the position of Managing Director of PCB – a role which I have accepted as a challenge.

“I have my roots in Pakistan, a country which is full of talent. I will be relocating to Pakistan with my family who are as excited as I am.”

PCB Chairman Mr Ehsan Mani welcomed Wasim, when he said: “We welcome Wasim who will be joining the PCB soon. He was selected unanimously following robust interview process with some seriously good candidates. I must thank each and every applicant who participated in this process.

“Wasim brings with him fresh ideas and knowledge of cricket, and he will receive the support of the Board and the management of PCB.

“We have started the process of revamping the PCB and under Wasim, we now have an experienced leader of the management team who will oversee the implementation of the Board decisions. His first task would be to oversee the reforms of domestic cricket structure”.

Wasim Khan is expected to start his time at the PCB around early February 2019.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good choice.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally a competent and qualified person got the job with PCB...

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    First positive news in a Mani era. Also it’s a great idea to appoint ethnic Pakistani, as he shouldn’t have much issues to live in PAK.

Gradually, this role should be converted to Chief Executive and Chairman PCB should be more of a ornamental position for policy level issues without direct involvement in day2day operation.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder how long would his stint last for..

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's his role exactly going to involve?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFM View Post
    What's his role exactly going to involve?
    revamping the domestic structure, brining the PCB into the modern era, trimming down the staff and working with the regions to further develop the game. Also Samiul haq the ICC chief of comms is also joining..

This is great news. He has done a great job at Leicester and was being touted as a future ECB cheif exec..they think very highly of him!! He will do a great job!

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent appointment. He is a competent, highly educated and experienced cricket administrator. Pakistan Cricket presents a different challenge but he sounds up to the task.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. Refreshing news.

Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Warwick Business School (one of the top-10 business schools in the world)
    Eh? No.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing against Pakistan or PCB but, how did this guy opt for PCB over ECB(was a leading candidate to be future CE), English life over Desi and, pounds over rupees?

Looks to be a true desh bhakt.
    Last edited by Kohli, The King of Chase; 6th December 2018 at 14:00.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Nothing against Pakistan or PCB but, how did this guy opt for PCB over ECB(was a leading candidate to be future CE), English life over Desi and, pounds over rupees?

Imran Khan

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An excellent appointment and at last a competent + well qualified individual to do the job. He's done well at Leicestershire.

Good start to the Ehsan Mani era.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, yeah, a very good appointment. His first and the toughest task would/should be to make sure that, guys like Cheema, Sadaf doesn't lead the bowling charts averaging 9, 10 and, batsmen like Khurram, Kamran doesn't lead the batting charts averaging 50, 60

But, it had to be seen how long wings he's provided with. If he's just made a muppet, then it's of no use.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an inspirational appointment

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PCB reinforce his CV and credentials for the ECB job in the future. I wouldn't blame him if he was to leave after a 3-5 years and work for a prestigious cricket board.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    PCB reinforce his CV and credentials for the ECB job in the future. I wouldn't blame him if he was to leave after a 3-5 years and work for a prestigious cricket board.
    If he leaves after 5 years, having improved the domestic structure then, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    5 years - let him stay safe for 5 months first. This must be a highly paid job & definitely a high profile post in PCB ranks .... hope guy’s professional & private life isn’t ruined. I am sure he has put a hefty “early sacking” clause in his contract - that’s the only thing that can keep him for long term.

But, guy must be passionate about PAK cricket - it’s not that he was looking for a job. Probably Mani has convinced him to join & there could be some unwritten authority handed to him; otherwise he won’t have risked his brilliant career. Top professional with a decent cricket background is rare to find.

So, Subhan ka chutti?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working with the people like Shakeel Sheikh and Mohsin Khan won't be easy but good luck to him.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Excellent news, this is a coup for PCB. He's done a good job with Leicestershire and may well be a future ECB Chairman.

Sorting out the administrative side will go a long way towards addressing our on-field issues.

Mani has talked about reducing his own powers as Chairman and investing most of the day-to-day authority of the PCB in the MD so getting this appointment right was critical.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed with his CV, looks like a very good choice. Well educated and have played 58 FC games, really impressive. I always admire those individuals who are able to play first class level of cricket, even with professional level study obligations. I myself always wanted to do that and tried very hard but not able to play FC cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leicestershire County Cricket Club has announced that Chief Executive Wasim Khan MBE is to leave the club after accepting a position as Managing Director of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

Wasim is expected to take up his new role in early February 2019 after four successful years at the helm of Leicestershire CCC.

The club has made significant progress during Wasim’s time in charge. An ambitious five-year Business Plan was set out in January 2015 to galvanise the club. An important element of the plan was to improve and modernise the facilities at the Fischer County Ground. In 2016, world-class floodlights were installed.

Leicestershire CCC successfully staged major events during Wasim’s time as Chief Executive, such as the ICC Women’s World Cup, and the Fischer County Ground became a concert venue when it hosted Sir Elton John.

The club also recorded three successive years of net profits in 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18. In 2016, Leicestershire CCC became one of only three first-class counties to merge with their recreational Cricket Boards.

Wasim has also contributed greatly to cricket across England and Wales over the last two decades. In a previous role as Chief Executive of the Cricket Foundation, Wasim played a key role at Chance to Shine, the national charity that has successfully introduced millions of schoolchildren to cricket. £55m was raised during his time at the charity.

Wasim was recently chair of the ECB’s Men’s Domestic Playing Programme group and is a current Board Director at Sport England. In addition, he was part of the Prince’s Trust Cricket Group, and the Equality & Human Rights Commission Sports Group.

“It is with sadness that I am bringing my time with Leicestershire County Cricket Club to an end,” said Wasim. “However, this is an extremely exciting opportunity to lead Pakistan Cricket in the international game. It is something that I couldn’t turn down.

“I will look back at my time with Leicestershire County Cricket Club with great pride and fondness. Under the backdrop of a challenging financial climate for non-International grounds, the club has taken on a number of challenges and has made great strides with its ambitious five-year Business Plan.

“The club successfully hosted the ICC Women’s World Cup, hosted 17,000 people to see Elton John in concert, installed floodlights at the Fischer County Ground, and saw a vast improvement in on-field performance. I have enjoyed four very enjoyable and busy years at the club.

“Good relationships with the Members, supporters and our neighbours have been forged, which is key when a cricket club is in the heart of its community. Our supporters and Members have been incredibly loyal and patient, and I thank them for that.

“I’d also like to thank everybody at Leicestershire County Cricket Club for their fantastic support over the last four years, including the brilliant staff who work tirelessly, Chairman Paul Haywood and the Board of Directors. I wish the club and the Members every success in the future.”

Leicestershire CCC Chairman Paul Haywood said: “On behalf of the Board of Directors and the whole of Leicestershire County Cricket Club, I would like to thank Wasim for everything that he has done during his time with us.

“We recorded three successive years of profits, installed floodlights at the Fischer County Ground, and also hosted major events such as the Elton John concert. We would like to wish Wasim all of the best for the future in his new and challenging role.”

PCB Chairman Ehsan Mani said: “We welcome Wasim, who will be joining the PCB soon. He was selected unanimously following robust interview process with some seriously good candidates. I must thank each and every applicant who participated in this process.

“Wasim brings with him fresh ideas and knowledge of cricket, and he will receive the support of the Board and the management of PCB.

“We have started the process of revamping the PCB and under Wasim, we now have an experienced leader of the management team who will oversee the implementation of the Board decisions. His first task would be to oversee the reforms of domestic cricket structure.”

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakistani life is much better then English life pal. And stature in Pakistan would be much better and the salary wont be that bad too. Plus, working for PCB, he can make more of an impact.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    Pakistani life is much better then English life pal. And stature in Pakistan would be much better and the salary wont be that bad too. Plus, working for PCB, he can make more of an impact.
    Life in Pakistan is totally worth it on an upper middle class to elite pay package. In West you have to be making millions of dollars to enjoy the same lifestyle

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Think the Pakistan job could be a steppingstone for him before he moves on to England.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Why do people worry so much about lifestyle etc? Think of the rich experience he is bringing in to the mix.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he leaves after 5 years, having improved the domestic structure then, it wouldn't be a big deal.
    Agreed that would be more than what any of the top PCB hierarchy have done in the past 30 years.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can he speak and read the language? That would be my biggest concern.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what is MBE stands for?

how much his salary would be? can PCB afford it while the country is in such a financial turmoil?

is this one of those corporate appointment where one person (the appointee) makes lot of money and fire lot of people for saving the money?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    what is MBE stands for?

how much his salary would be? can PCB afford it while the country is in such a financial turmoil?

is this one of those corporate appointment where one person (the appointee) makes lot of money and fire lot of people for saving the money?
    MBE : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBE_(disambiguation)

Why are we so fascinated by his salary?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    The MD's job is to enforce the decisions taken by the BOG and the CEO. Simple as that.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great appointment! I hope he galvanizes Pakistan cricket as well!

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope he turns around the ship and revamps the PCB.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Previously he had signed 4 Pakistani player for Leicestershire CCC. Umar Akmal-Mohammed Abbas-Sohail Khan-Sharjeel Khan.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The guy must be patriotic to come back to Pakistan and relocate with his family to work in a messy politically and inefficiency strifen PCB. But he must have been offered an exhorbitant pay package as well along with other perks.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The guy must be patriotic to come back to Pakistan and relocate with his family to work in a messy politically and inefficiency strifen PCB. But he must have been offered an exhorbitant pay package as well along with other perks.
    He has a Pakistani passport so see's himself as a dual national like many Brit Pakistanis.

Good choice, he is a former player and a very experienced adminsitartor who has a lot of contacts in the cricketing world.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Great idea but unfortunately for Wasim it will end in tears. The PCB as an organisation is corrupt and self serving and Wasim can't change that.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Excellent news, this is a coup for PCB. He's done a good job with Leicestershire and may well be a future ECB Chairman.

Sorting out the administrative side will go a long way towards addressing our on-field issues.

Mani has talked about reducing his own powers as Chairman and investing most of the day-to-day authority of the PCB in the MD so getting this appointment right was critical.
    How do you know he’s done a good job for Leicester? Just askin.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I would be pleasantly surprised if he survives 2 years.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Great idea but unfortunately for Wasim it will end in tears. The PCB as an organisation is corrupt and self serving and Wasim can't change that.

I think he has been brought in to drag it out of the dark ages pretty much like Lord Mac Laurin did for English cricket in the 1990’s and then Duncan fletcher and Andy flower took it further. Sometimes these processes take decades and require more than one individual. For now I think it’s about making the regions of Pakistan work better with the national board. This in itself is a huge task in a nation of 200 million. England was only small and well developed in comparison.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abid Z View Post
    How do you know he’s done a good job for Leicester? Just askin.
    Leciester were loss making when he was appointed but he's got them making a profit for three straight seasons which is an impressive feat given the dire financial straits County Cricket is in. Whilst Leicestershire have performed poorly in recent years, it's not easy for Division 2 teams to attract talent. He's also made improvements to Grace Road, not to mention the work he did with Chance to Shine.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Highly educated, highly professional, let's hope he can work his magic in the corridors of the PCB.

The locals won't like his appointment, they will see him as a foreigner taking one of their jobs.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny the man who fine-tuned his cricket by participating in the county cricket for many many seasons has the nerves to reject someone else who has not only played in the same county circuits and also had great experience as an administrator in the county circuit.

I am certain that Sarfraz is not alone and there are many more who think of PCB high up positions as birthright that are unhappy about it and in upcmoning months (I would not be surprised) we will see a media campaign on TV/Twitter Pak cricket experts voicing their unhappiness on Wasim's performance in this role. His every move, every decision will be questioned. I really hope that he can get through this but deep down I know it is not likely that he is going to sdurvive as he is up against the people who may have multiple grievences among each other (decades old) but they will combine forces in upcoming months to oppose Wasim's every decision, every move. Sad.

On personal note, I just ordered Wasim's biography. Should be interesing learning more about him

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Highly educated, highly professional, let's hope he can work his magic in the corridors of the PCB.

The locals won't like his appointment, they will see him as a foreigner taking one of their jobs.
    The locals wont like his appointment despite the fact that all they ever did in one of those jobs was eat samoseh, drink chah and eat biskut in between all the times they talked a lot of trash running millions of people down for not being able to do things which they would never attempt

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Lovely chatting with Wasim this evening and really impressed with his vision for Pakistan cricket.

Interview coming soon.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Leciester were loss making when he was appointed but he's got them making a profit for three straight seasons which is an impressive feat given the dire financial straits County Cricket is in. Whilst Leicestershire have performed poorly in recent years, it's not easy for Division 2 teams to attract talent. He's also made improvements to Grace Road, not to mention the work he did with Chance to Shine.
    ah...all is well then. there's me thinking its all down to nixon and abbas.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Wasim Khan, an MBA from Warwick Business School (one of the top-10 business schools in the world), is a former professional cricketer with a wealth of experience in cricket and cricket management.
    It's at #41 at the moment.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely chatting with Wasim this evening and really impressed with his vision for Pakistan cricket.

Interview coming soon.
    Looking forward to it.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    First think we need to get rid of Basit Ali, Inzamam ul Haq, Haroon Rashid, Mohsin Khan, Sabih Azhar and Shakil Sheikh if we really want to go far and stay far away from Miandad, Rashid Latif, Sarfraz Nawaz and Amir Sohail.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    San Francisco /CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warwick MBA " top ten in the world", In which universe.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Many times we have looked up to players to help take our cricket forward but this must be the first time where we are expecting miracles and a dramatic effect from an administrator in the PCB

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, he can start his tenure by firing inzi the useless.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Leicestershire had not won a county championship match in 3 years before Wasim Khan was appointed in 2014. They have finished comfortably mid-table since then. He has done a great job there.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cultural aspect is the biggest challenge here, not for Wasim himself necessarily, but his young family to settle here long-term. They have lived all their life in the UK, and while family trips each summer or winter would have given them a good idea of life in this country, the quotidien challenges and frustrations can only be experienced once you are living here. I won't be surprised if he doesn't survive 12 months.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Get the blowtorch out Wasim - you are entering one rotten system.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasim Khan - An inspired hire tasked to implement a flawed strategy

The recent appointment of Wasim Khan as the new Managing Director of the Pakistan Cricket Board(PCB) is an inspired hire. For the first time the PCB has a competent, impartial, and a relatively modern Chief Executive. Unfortunately for him and Pakistan Cricket, the incoming Chief Executive is tasked with implementing a flawed and archaic strategy. The concept of regionalizing domestic cricket is not new. It is championed by the new Prime Minister, and commonplace around the world. Although it is a better disposition than the previous the structure, it will remain highly flawed and Pakistan Cricket is unlikely to reap the benefits it seeks and so desperately needs.

An 8 team regional or city based structure will certainly enhance competition. The best players in Pakistan are likely to participate, and the greater competition will improve players. But will it improve competency? Alignment? Will it produce the type of elite talent Pakistan so desperately needs? The answer to this question is no! Why? Because the PCB and the Regional Cricket Associations below them simply do not have the competence or the organizational capacity to consistently produce elite talent. Talent in Pakistan has always been accidental. The triumph of greatness overcoming the obstacles and traps of vested interests. There’s an argument to be made that even our greatest cricketing triumphs have been accidental.

To achieve sustainable success the PCB desperately needs to overhaul its governance structure. The current governance model depends on elections. These elections are not free and they not fair. Instead they are the breeding ground for people like Shakeel Shaikh who use influence to achieve unbridled power. The people that operate under them aren’t the best and the brightest. Instead they are loyalists and sycophants who use the system for their benefit. Can a system full of vested interest and zero accountability drive progress and modernization?

So what’s the answer? The answer lies in competition. The only way to create the appropriate culture of competition lies in privatization. There is no better example than the Pakistan Super League(PSL). Although the PSL and its franchises leave a lot to be desired, the mere existence of the league is a catalyst for progress. To achieve viability in a business without cash flow, PSL Owners have no choice but to hire CEOs, Chief Commercial Officers, Strategists, Director’s of Cricket, Coaches, and other important personnel. These individuals may not be the best, but over time the desire for results on and off the field will create a generation of cricket professionals that can help grow the game in Pakistan. Contemporaries of mine, the Co-Managers of Islamabad United are great examples of the power of privatization.

Under a traditional cricket structure these individuals would never be tasked with identifying talent, building a sporting structure, and making decisions on personnel. But because privatization encourages meritocracy, they are better positioned to make decisions on personnel than the current Chief Selector. Finally, the incoming MD is faced with a decision. Does he implement a flawed strategy that leaves Pakistan Cricket at the mercy of the tried, tested, and failed; or does he give life to a modern approach?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Excellent choice. Very happy with this.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unemployedgm View Post
    The recent appointment of Wasim Khan as the new Managing Director of the Pakistan Cricket Board(PCB) is an inspired hire. For the first time the PCB has a competent, impartial, and a relatively modern Chief Executive. Unfortunately for him and Pakistan Cricket, the incoming Chief Executive is tasked with implementing a flawed and archaic strategy. The concept of regionalizing domestic cricket is not new. It is championed by the new Prime Minister, and commonplace around the world. Although it is a better disposition than the previous the structure, it will remain highly flawed and Pakistan Cricket is unlikely to reap the benefits it seeks and so desperately needs.

An 8 team regional or city based structure will certainly enhance competition. The best players in Pakistan are likely to participate, and the greater competition will improve players. But will it improve competency? Alignment? Will it produce the type of elite talent Pakistan so desperately needs? The answer to this question is no! Why? Because the PCB and the Regional Cricket Associations below them simply do not have the competence or the organizational capacity to consistently produce elite talent. Talent in Pakistan has always been accidental. The triumph of greatness overcoming the obstacles and traps of vested interests. There’s an argument to be made that even our greatest cricketing triumphs have been accidental.

To achieve sustainable success the PCB desperately needs to overhaul its governance structure. The current governance model depends on elections. These elections are not free and they not fair. Instead they are the breeding ground for people like Shakeel Shaikh who use influence to achieve unbridled power. The people that operate under them aren’t the best and the brightest. Instead they are loyalists and sycophants who use the system for their benefit. Can a system full of vested interest and zero accountability drive progress and modernization?

So what’s the answer? The answer lies in competition. The only way to create the appropriate culture of competition lies in privatization. There is no better example than the Pakistan Super League(PSL). Although the PSL and its franchises leave a lot to be desired, the mere existence of the league is a catalyst for progress. To achieve viability in a business without cash flow, PSL Owners have no choice but to hire CEOs, Chief Commercial Officers, Strategists, Director’s of Cricket, Coaches, and other important personnel. These individuals may not be the best, but over time the desire for results on and off the field will create a generation of cricket professionals that can help grow the game in Pakistan. Contemporaries of mine, the Co-Managers of Islamabad United are great examples of the power of privatization.

Under a traditional cricket structure these individuals would never be tasked with identifying talent, building a sporting structure, and making decisions on personnel. But because privatization encourages meritocracy, they are better positioned to make decisions on personnel than the current Chief Selector. Finally, the incoming MD is faced with a decision. Does he implement a flawed strategy that leaves Pakistan Cricket at the mercy of the tried, tested, and failed; or does he give life to a modern approach?
    Privitization is easier to talk about than to do. The PCB had to beg the franchises to invest money in Cricket and they did out of national cause and pride but they are now threatening to walk away unless the PCB finds ways to give them a bigger slice of the PSL prize.

The real big money guys in Pakistan are just not interested in investing in Cricket.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Think the Pakistan job could be a steppingstone for him before he moves on to England.
    He doesn't need a stepping stone, he would have been one of the leading candidates for the ECB job if he wanted it.

If anything, this job is a step down for him and shows his genuine desire to help Pakistani cricket.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    He doesn't need a stepping stone, he would have been one of the leading candidates for the ECB job if he wanted it.

If anything, this job is a step down for him and shows his genuine desire to help Pakistani cricket.
    Maybe he's not ready for the England job just yet and wanted a job before it where he can experience more administration level atmosphere at the international circle.

It's easy to say he should have done this or that. Simple answer is no-one knows.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe in giving people a chance to prove themselves. If he's done it at Leicestershire can do so for Pak as well. Please find us some good batsmen more then anything else by revamping the domestic structure. No need to look for a vacancy with the ECB if he does the job for us.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    I believe in giving people a chance to prove themselves. If he's done it at Leicestershire can do so for Pak as well. Please find us some good batsmen more then anything else by revamping the domestic structure. No need to look for a vacancy with the ECB if he does the job for us.
    His job is to revamp the PCB i.e. Modernize and make it efficient, get rid of excess employees, privitize it, improve corporate governance, regionalize domestic cricket and improve the PCB financially and PCB's relationships with other boards.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His job is to revamp the PCB i.e. Modernize and make it efficient, get rid of excess employees, privitize it, improve corporate governance, regionalize domestic cricket and improve the PCB financially and PCB's relationships with other boards.
    Improving domestic Cricket also means unearthing better quality batsmen.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very good appointment. I'm sure he will do well.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    And to try and get international cricket back to Pakistan.

He has some ideas which will be revealed in the interview.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    KARACHI: Pakistan Cricket Board PCB) chairman Ehsan Mani said on Sunday changes will be made to the board’s constitution to create a new chief executive position.

Mani said the change, when formally made, will enable the incoming managing director Wasim Khan to become the CEO of the board.

“The PCB is the only [cricket] board in the world which has no chief executive. We will bring changes in our constitution to create a new position and then the managing director will be called the chief executive officer, like it happens everywhere else,” Mani told reporters at the National Stadium.

Wasim, currently serving as the Leicestershire County Cricket Club chief executive, was announced as the new managing director of the PCB on Thursday.

“The responsibilities of a chairman are different from that of a CEO,” said Mani. “The managing director’s duty will be to run the day-to-day affairs of the board.”

Constitutionally, Mani will retain significant powers within the PCB hierarchy, but Wasim is expected to take a leading role in the board’s corporate governance framework, working with the PCB’s board-of-governors committees and also work for the improvement of domestic cricket.

Outgoing International Cricket Council head of media and communications Sami-ul-Hasan was also appointed at the same post by the PCB on Saturday. Mani said the appointment shows PCB’s intent to get more ‘professionalised’.

“If two people who had been working in good positions abroad are willing to come to Pakistan, it’s a great sign and the PCB deserves credit for it,” said the PCB chief.

Mani said the PCB was in talks with some cricket boards regarding the return of international cricket to Pakistan but the focus for now is the Pakistan Super League.”We are in talks with some boards but for now our focus is on the PSL. Karachi will host five matches including the final. I hope many foreign players will participate in those matches,” said Mani.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1450449/pc...reate-ceo-post
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th December 2018 at 06:27.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If Wasim Khan can do anything to improve Domestic cricket then he would have been worth hiring. Our Domestic cricket is a shambles- dominated by journeymen trying to eke out a meagre living. A simple rule such as only 2 non international over 30`s in each team would stop the desi tendency of hiring and playing friends.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And to try and get international cricket back to Pakistan.

He has some ideas which will be revealed in the interview.
    So you were down in Leicester and once again you avoid me? yay kya baat hay Saj sahib?? ..lol

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    786 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Will end in tears

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Will end in tears
    I agree because there is no way the PCB insiders will accept an outsider trying to derail their gravy train, but if he manages to make inroads into reforming the domestic cricket scene, it will be worth it.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest challenge for him would be for him to change the domestic system rather than letting the domestic system change him.

To get rid of vested interests in Pakistan is an improbable task. Let's see how he goes.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    If Wasim Khan can do anything to improve Domestic cricket then he would have been worth hiring. Our Domestic cricket is a shambles- dominated by journeymen trying to eke out a meagre living. A simple rule such as only 2 non international over 30`s in each team would stop the desi tendency of hiring and playing friends.
    You can pull up any scorecard from this recent QEA Trophy and often find not one batsman with a FC average above 40. The average 1st innings score in the competition is near the lowest amongst domestic FC tournaments in the world. That's a damning indictment of our batting standards.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, FC matches used to be almost Test match standard in terms of its intensity and competitiveness. Now they are barely above club level.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Ehsaan Mani has earned back lots of my respect. In south Asian culture, we hardly see a henchman chopping own wings and empower someone else. I was expecting 3 critical appointments - a CEO, a CCO (Commercial officer for marketing & sales) and a CTO (Technical officer to look after the cricket affairs from top to bottom). 2 is done (gradually Sami Ul Islam will look after the marketing side for sure).

Last one is left is a CTO (Director cricket operations) doesn’t need to be an MBA, but someone with proper cricket knowledge & experience. For BCB, Gary Kristen is appointed in a similar role, but as consultant as he won’t move to Dhaka for whole year; for PCB, may be more than Coach, Mickey Arthur can be a better CTO of cricket operations; he is with PAK cricket for almost 3 years now and has seen/learned enough.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You can pull up any scorecard from this recent QEA Trophy and often find not one batsman with a FC average above 40. The average 1st innings score in the competition is near the lowest amongst domestic FC tournaments in the world. That's a damning indictment of our batting standards.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, FC matches used to be almost Test match standard in terms of its intensity and competitiveness. Now they are barely above club level.
    The pitches are terrible. They are green , weird, and substandard. Batsmen techniques have been destroyed by these. We need to give them proper 4-5 day pitches. We also need to go and have a look and see what our neighbours are doing with regards to batting. There is no harm in learning from them as they churn out batsman like bee's churn out honey. However we all know they probably wouldnt grant our guys visas out of spite.

The pitches and the balls , the overall facilities need to be looked at. In the short term they need to fix the pitches.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step 1: Fire Inzi
    Step 2: Fire Mickey
    Step 3: Fire our most useless COO
    Step 4: Buy the new selectors a laptop so they can actually see stats and select on merit

Step 5: Work on building school cricket in Pakistan. Have an actual structure in place
    Step 6: Fix Club cricket
    Step 7: Plan for domestic cricket

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
    Vince Lombardi

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I agree The standard is very poor and has deteriorated over the last decade but it was pretty poor for a long time even going back to the time you mention. I played with PK pros and they talked about most matches played on poor wickets, with many mediocre players.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    There will be a few at the PCB who will be worried about this appointment especially those who have made a career out of doing nothing.

In addition I see some of the media already after Wasim when he hasn't even started in the role yet.
    Last edited by Saj; 10th December 2018 at 20:35.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There will be a few at the PCB who will be worried about this appointment especially those who have made a career out of doing nothing.

In addition I see some of the media already after Wasim when he hasn't even started in the role yet.
    Are you surprised that the PCB gravy train passengers​ are using their media contacts to attack him. As I said before this ain't going to work because too many have too much to lose.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Are you surprised that the PCB gravy train passengers​ are using their media contacts to attack him. As I said before this ain't going to work because too many have too much to lose.
    No surprises at all.

It all depends on Ehsan Mani and if he gives Wasim the support he deserves.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No surprises at all.

It all depends on Ehsan Mani and if he gives Wasim the support he deserves.
    With the best will in the World Mani will wilt under the pressure of the PCB gravy train mafia. Watch stories against him leak out when he doesn't play ball.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    With the best will in the World Mani will wilt under the pressure of the PCB gravy train mafia. Watch stories against him leak out when he doesn't play ball.
    This is where the Chairman needs to be strong and supportive.

If he has hired Wasim then he needs to back him and not give in to some of the clowns who are already after him and will continue to go after him.