Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bank Details Leaked!!!

I've just received a letter from a mobile network company saying they accidentally sent my details to someone else. Apparently it was a direct debit mix up.

Anyway this person received details of my name, address, bank account name, sort code and account number. They said I shouldn't be worried but i can call them if I have any qs.

Should I be worried? Is there any way any type of fraud can happen with me if someone has received these details?

Pls help!!!
    Last edited by gkb101277867; 6th December 2018 at 16:28. Reason: Mistake

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gkb101277867 View Post
    I've just received a letter from a mobile network company saying they accidentally sent my details to someone else. Apparently it was a direct debit mix up.

Anyway this person received details of my name, address, bank account name, sort code and account number. They said I shouldn't be worried but i can call them if I have any qs.

Should I be worried? Is there any way any type of fraud can happen with me if someone has received these details?

Pls help!!!
    Ask the bank to setup a brand new a/c and transfer the funds there. (at no charge to you ) in the meanwhile put a freeze on the existing a/c.

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are at risk if you dont speak to your bank.

The mobile company have breached serious data protection (if UK). New rules came into force in May this year, you should seek compensation and could be paid a large sum.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, just give me your details, I know a Nigerian prince who can help you out.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Think about it this way, if anything happens to your money, the guy will be the first one to be suspected so he will behave.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    You are at risk if you dont speak to your bank.

The mobile company have breached serious data protection (if UK). New rules came into force in May this year, you should seek compensation and could be paid a large sum.
    Really? How would I go about doing that? I was under the impression you can only seek compensation if that breach led to you being a victim of fraud

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoke to a few friends and I was told that nobody can actually remove money from my account using my sort code and account number.

Although one friend did say that as this person has my name and address then they could possibly set up a direct debit in my name?

Really don't want to go through the hassle of having my bank details changed and then having to set up new direct debits for everything...

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pls help!!!
    I may be wrong but this letter looks like a scam.
    They probably want you to call them and get through security they’ll ask you for details of all the items mentioned on that letter and then bingo.....

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Think about it this way, if anything happens to your money, the guy will be the first one to be suspected so he will behave.
    Although he could pass my details to anyone and get them to do possible fraud (if that's even possible) on his behalf

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Although he could pass my details to anyone and get them to do possible fraud (if that's even possible) on his behalf
    Seriously speaking

1. Inform your bank
    2. Ask them for advice
    3. Follow their advice to the letter so that you are covered incase there is a fraud.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have already solved this problem by making a call to your bank by now. Stop wasting time with your friends ans call your bank.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spoke to a few friends and I was told that nobody can actually remove money from my account using my sort code and account number.

Although one friend did say that as this person has my name and address then they could possibly set up a direct debit in my name?

Really don't want to go through the hassle of having my bank details changed and then having to set up new direct debits for everything...
    Firstly as Immy69 has pointed out, it could be a scam esp if its claming its from a mobile phone company which is pretty common. Call your mobile phone company to confirm. Chances are you will find this on the news as it's unlikely it will only be your details being compramised.

If it's genuine then you need to call the company and demand compensation on the basis of distress and emotional pain etc. If the company refuse you can go to small claims court once you have reported it to the information commisoners office.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    I may be wrong but this letter looks like a scam.
    They probably want you to call them and get through security they’ll ask you for details of all the items mentioned on that letter and then bingo.....
    Well I just purchased a new phone on a contract with this network and they have been sending me confirmation letters. They then sent me a letter saying that I would be getting a letter with someone else's details on it due to a mix up and I received that letter. I then got another letter saying that they apologise for this and that due to the mix up someone else got a letter with my details on it. This letter also said thier security team has looked into it and doesn't deem me to be at a risk of being a victim of fraud and that if I am still worried or have qs I call call the number they provided

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1660 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The actual scam hasn't taken place yet.....

The scam is you will call them all bothered and they will ask you to give your details so that they can confirm it and viola you are poor. Congratulations.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pls help!!!
    Major data protection breach. Look for compensation. Don’t let them off the hook.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    The scam is you will call them all bothered and they will ask you to give your details so that they can confirm it and viola you are poor. Congratulations.
    Or he could just find out the official number of the telephone company and just contact them directly instead? Doesn't sound that hard.

If it is indeed a genuine mix up then the company will do everything to rectify this mistake in fear of getting sued and may even throw in a little compensation. If it is not them then just send them the email, letters etc so that they can take action or forward them to the appropriate authorities.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I hate direct debit. Much prefer other methods of payment.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @IMMY69 @KingKhanWC @in_cutter

So I went to the official website, called the number and spoke to them. It is real and not a scam. I was given an apology and 30 pound gift card lol. Does that seem reasonable? I told them I have been worrying about it and that it's a breach of the data protection act. I was told that I should expect a call within 5 working days and if I have any qs etc or if I want to complain then I can do it then.

Any advice on what I should say when i receive the call? Is a 30 pound gift card reasonable?

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So I went to the official website, called the number and spoke to them. It is real and not a scam. I was given an apology and 30 pound gift card lol. Does that seem reasonable? I told them I have been worrying about it and that it's a breach of the data protection act. I was told that I should expect a call within 5 working days and if I have any qs etc or if I want to complain then I can do it then.

Any advice on what I should say when i receive the call? Is a 30 pound gift card reasonable?
    30 pounds is loose change. Talk to your lawyer and check whether you can get more out of them. I think you can get a lot more than 30 pounds.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    30 pounds is loose change. Talk to your lawyer and check whether you can get more out of them. I think you can get a lot more than 30 pounds.
    What makes you think that?

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something View Post
    What makes you think that?
    His personal information was leaked without his consent to some unknown person. That is a serious offence not a minor one. If this news gets out and popular, the company's image would get screwed as well.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They are taking the ****. Data Protection is a major talking point of late. New guidlines have been brought in this yr (UK). £30 gift card lol. Tell them it is not acceptable- the banks themselves educate us about data protection yet here they have leaked your details. Ironic.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Companies will try to fobb you off with such a small voucher or even an apology. They realise most people havent got a scooby doo of how serious data protection breach is and the new regulations surrounding it.

You need to call them explain you are aware of the new GDPR regualations which came into force in May this year. Tell them you are aware a company can be fined up to 20 million euros. Ask the company if you were informed within 72 hours of finding out and if they also informed the ICO. If no your compensation claim will be stronger. Speak to the ICO for advice if the company wont offer your more than the gift card. Keep in mind this is a new updated law so it's difficult to say how many compmanies have paid out compensation or have been fined large amounts.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    They are taking the ****. Data Protection is a major talking point of late. New guidlines have been brought in this yr (UK). £30 gift card lol. Tell them it is not acceptable- the banks themselves educate us about data protection yet here they have leaked your details. Ironic.
    I think it was a mobile phone company.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Not it's not reasonable, remotely I would make a bigger issue out of this because a 30 pound gift card does not make up for their incompetency. You need to speak to a lawyer immediately and get advise on what you should do next. There's not much which can be done with your sort code, account number and bank account name anyway; but if you're concerned these can be easily changed. But this other person knows your name and address which is a threat to your privacy and security.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice guys it's appreciated a lot. On the phone I was told that the companys security team has assessed the situation and they don't think I am at risk of being a victim of fraud and that also nobody can really do anything with your sort code and account number.

I will wait for the call and speak to them and let them know I'm not happy. When I was offered the gift voucher I told them I was not happy with it. I was then kind of put on the spot and asked what the company can do to compensate me. I just had a complete brain fade moment and blurted out that I want 500 pounds 🤣🤣🤣. Anyway I was put on hold whilst the person spoke to the manager and I was told that 500 pounds is a huge sum and they are only going to offer me the gift voucher but I can discuss this further when I get the phone call from them