User Tag List

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the Social Life of Pakistanis in West revolves more than 50% around FOOD Only?

What is the social life of a moderate Pakistani Family in the West?

How often do they go for outdoor activities like Camping, Skiing, Swimming? Or simply gym, running, walking, biking in the nature? What about Musicals, Theaters, Cinemas and other cultural events?

I see that Pakistani families are gathering at week ends, where they only Talk, and then main emphasis is upon the EATING.

Yes, Pakistani women can cook really good. But this is not so healthy.

In Pakistan too, the OUTING means perhaps in 50% cases going out to the any restaurant for a dinner. Young boys do play cricket in Pakistan, but young girls and parents don't have enough physical activities. Ultimately, this way of life style shortens the life itself.

I wonder, if our younger generations could ever come out of this Eating Culture, and become active in other physical activities.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No alcohol, what do you expect? If alcohol was around we would be like the natives of the UK and 50 per cent of social life would revolve around alcohol.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmi View Post

How often do they go for outdoor activities like Camping, Skiing, Swimming? Or simply gym, running, walking, biking in the nature? What about Musicals, Theaters, Cinemas and other cultural events?
    Done most of those things, although musicals was not voluntary, it was inflicted on me by the school. Perhaps I am not the typical Pakistani though. British Pakistanis tend to be quite outgoing, I am assuming you must be talking about American/Canadian Pakistanis?
    Last edited by Cpt. Rishwat; 8th December 2018 at 12:55.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it depends around showing off who dresses better and has the more expensive car and jewellery. Social gathering are just an excuse to do that.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Pakistan it's probably 70%.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    In Pakistan it's probably 70%.
    Personally I feel Pakistani clothing reflects their outlook. The shalwar kameez is designed for lounging around. The extra length of the shirt tails would be useful for wiping off excess food on those gluttonous days out.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Personally I feel Pakistani clothing reflects their outlook. The shalwar kameez is designed for lounging around. The extra length of the shirt tails would be useful for wiping off excess food on those gluttonous days out.
    Most days are gluttonous days out, for men especially. Also most distractions (not necessarily healthy ones) are built around food, even in malls there are more people in the food courts than people shopping (apart from Eids), although the outlets there are more westernized.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are correct, that is why I feel very awkward and bored at the gatherings because none of that interests me. I like being outdoors and actually doing stuff rather than sitting home for ghup chup, but most of the Pakistanis I know are not into adventure.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I'd say largely around food, shisha lounges, movies and gym when they are not on holiday. Sport is popular to especially cricket and boxing, reflected by asians taking up these sports at the highest level to.

For other groups they get involved in those activities to although the pub is very popular and takes up most of their time.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a few like that, either going out to eat all the time or the late night Drive Thru and coffee shop - and that's it as far doing stuff socially.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't where you live but in America most social activities tevolve around food. Yeah people go out and camp or hike but they'll then have a BBQ or some kind of meal, people here love eating.

"Peace is only made with the powerful"

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Alcohol is overrated.

Always better to focus more on the food than the drink IMO.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    I'd say largely around food, shisha lounges, movies and gym when they are not on holiday. Sport is popular to especially cricket and boxing, reflected by asians taking up these sports at the highest level to.
    Yes, it seems boys are having these activities too.

But what do you think where the girls are standing?

For other groups they get involved in those activities to although the pub is very popular and takes up most of their time.
    I don't like the pub culture. It is a total waste too.

Although I very much like the Social Drinking Ceremonies that are shown in old Japanese/Korean/Chinese Movies, where all sit normally around a table on the ground, and then drink.

Actually, I do like to sit on the carpet for Eating too, along with my family and friends.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmi View Post

I see that Pakistani families are gathering at week ends, where they only Talk, and then main emphasis is upon the EATING.

Yes, Pakistani women can cook really good. But this is not so healthy.

In Pakistan too, the OUTING means perhaps in 50% cases going out to the any restaurant for a dinner. Young boys do play cricket in Pakistan, but young girls and parents don't have enough physical activities. Ultimately, this way of life style shortens the life itself.

I wonder, if our younger generations could ever come out of this Eating Culture, and become active in other physical activities.
    Are you referring to immigrant families or Pakistanis raised in the West?

I grew up in Canada and now my family (wife plus three kids):

1. Camp several times every year in the Rockies (tent camping) and the food is basic (sandwiches, etc)
    2. Kids and I go swimming once a week, sometimes twice
    3. Skiing is once a year but we go skating more
    4. My wife is fitness trainer and yoga instructor so she and the kids are at the gym several times a week. I work in a home gym with TRXs
    5. We attend live theatre on special occasions every year (anniversary etc)
    6. I don't bike much but the wife and kids do. We even have a baby trailer to attach to the bike
    7. We eat out either on special occasions or when no one wants to cook.

Most of the items I mentioned are done regularly except for skiing. But an immigrant Pakistani family is likely different.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by faraz39 View Post
    Are you referring to immigrant families or Pakistanis raised in the West?

I grew up in Canada and now my family (wife plus three kids):

1. Camp several times every year in the Rockies (tent camping) and the food is basic (sandwiches, etc)
    2. Kids and I go swimming once a week, sometimes twice
    3. Skiing is once a year but we go skating more
    4. My wife is fitness trainer and yoga instructor so she and the kids are at the gym several times a week. I work in a home gym with TRXs
    5. We attend live theatre on special occasions every year (anniversary etc)
    6. I don't bike much but the wife and kids do. We even have a baby trailer to attach to the bike
    7. We eat out either on special occasions or when no one wants to cook.

Most of the items I mentioned are done regularly except for skiing. But an immigrant Pakistani family is likely different.
    That's just your immediate family, what about during gatherings with your parents, siblings, relatives etc? Even so, I think your case is the exception rather than the norm.

Your wife being a fitness trainer would help in bringing the sportive culture into the household too. We also have an outdoorsy life but my wife is European (also daughter born here) and I don't have family from my side here- The few Desi friends or acquaintances I have do follow a more food based get together with grills during summer etc, not much into sports but they do encourage their kids to get into arts and culture.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Wait, Pakistanis in the West are supposed to have a social life?

How come no one told me?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Wait, Pakistanis in the West are supposed to have a social life?

How come no one told me?
    You were too busy gardening, trying to get in shape, forcing yourself not to go back in case the puraani yaadein were shattered and basically, well, just being Nostalgic.

Don't worry though, I am also in the same boat although it has been only 5 years for me and I hate gardening and don't yet have to concentrate on getting in shape, yet. The only thing I miss is the food but I cook almost everything apart from that elusive Nihari.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    You were too busy gardening, trying to get in shape, forcing yourself not to go back in case the puraani yaadein were shattered and basically, well, just being Nostalgic.

Don't worry though, I am also in the same boat although it has been only 5 years for me and I hate gardening and don't yet have to concentrate on getting in shape, yet. The only thing I miss is the food but I cook almost everything apart from that elusive Nihari.
    I haven’t gardened in my life. I suppose if I had, I could’ve justified not having a social life, since gardening is such a time-consuming passion, but I can’t even use that excuse.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    I haven’t gardened in my life. I suppose if I had, I could’ve justified not having a social life, since gardening is such a time-consuming passion, but I can’t even use that excuse.

Ah, the topic was about gardening to begin with but took a woodworking turn. My apologies, honest mistake.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...14#post9439214

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Ah, the topic was about gardening to begin with but took a woodworking turn. My apologies, honest mistake.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...14#post9439214
    I remember that thread now. Woodworking is a hobby, and a very fulfilling one. After staring at screens all day, it is a welcome relief to work with one's hands, using the oldest building material known to man, with the possible exception of clay. The scent of resin unleashed when the saw slices into a knot is so gratifying.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't see white people having a much interesting social life either. I ask my white colleagues what they did over weekend and answer is 90% of the time is 'stuff around the house'.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes thats true. Going out with friends/family mostly means food. Its lack of facilities as well.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people raised in Canada around me might not be as outdoorsy as us but they are not as focused on food either. I see this when I visit Pakistan; every outing is going out to eat primarily.

I'm not going to say non Pakistanis are very different. They tend to centre around alcohol.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garden? That's s bit hoity-toity, you must be from Pakistan Pakistan, not Mirpur, coz in England, concrete takes minimum of fuss and you get to park ones car.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsadvokat View Post
    Garden? That's s bit hoity-toity, you must be from Pakistan Pakistan, not Mirpur, coz in England, concrete takes minimum of fuss and you get to park ones car.
    Please stop. You seem to be replying to yourself in multiple threads and taking things out of context without knowing why. These uncle jokes are getting quite cringe worthy.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please stop. You seem to be replying to yourself in multiple threads and taking things out of context without knowing why. These uncle jokes are getting quite cringe worthy.
    I may have missed my mark with humour, just commenting on the tendency for some Asians to see a nice lawn and wanna concrete it over

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have missed my mark with humour, just commenting on the tendency for some Asians to see a nice lawn and wanna concrete it over
    I got that, however my apologies as I may have come off as somewhat cruder than usual.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got that, however my apologies as I may have come off as somewhat cruder than usual.
    Also I noticed that I referred to you as Deadpool, you may have noticed, taken the wrong view rightly, as I do have m.o for name abuse, honest it was auto incorrect.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I noticed that I referred to you as Deadpool, you may have noticed, taken the wrong view rightly, as I do have m.o for name abuse, honest it was auto incorrect.
    Deadpool is actually cooler. You probably owe an e-apology to Cap e Tan though.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjahmed23 View Post
    I honestly don't see white people having a much interesting social life either. I ask my white colleagues what they did over weekend and answer is 90% of the time is 'stuff around the house'.
    bruh i have white roommates, and all they do is get wasted and apparently that's a "good time". There's probably only one dude who skates but nothing interesting.

"Peace is only made with the powerful"

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I agree that Pakistanis generally have a sedentary lifestyle and don’t like physical activities, it also has a lot to do with lack of facilities and wealth. If you live in a city like Lahore or Karachi, going skiing or camping requires a pretty expensive vacation up north. I love camping and hiking but only started doing it once I went to the US. Things are a lot tougher when you are living in Pakistan and earning in PKR. Then there is the cultural aspect too. I know a lot of people who were into sports and gym but as soon as they got married, they stopped everything and developed huge pot bellies. It seems if you are a married female or a male over thirty, society sort of expects you to develop a ‘serious’ lifestyle with no physical activities.

When it comes to sports even small schools in the west have more facilities than Pakistani universities. How many people in Pakistan even have access to swimming pools? I studied in a well-known school and then worked a couple of years for a relatively large company but never had access to a swimming pool. Infact a lot of the big name expensive schools are operating out of rental bungalows. I lived in DHA and without two or three private water tankers a week I barely had enough water to shower. Reminds me of a humorous verse from one of those comedy mushairas that PTV used to telecast “Muskuranay ki baat kartay ho, dil jalanay ki baat kartay ho, meinay do din say moo nahi dhoya, tum nahanay ki baat kartay ho”

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deadpool is actually cooler. You probably owe an e-apology to Cap e Tan though.
    He is a proper Cap e Tan tho.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjahmed23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    bruh i have white roommates, and all they do is get wasted and apparently that's a "good time". There's probably only one dude who skates but nothing interesting.
    Some of it will depend on the age group I guess.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come no one has mentioned the financial aspect of it?

I mean surely there must be someone here who has financial concerns that they have to address which is why they're too busy to take up such outdoor-heavy activities. Most of the immigrant Pakistanis I know have to work really hard with multiple jobs just make sure they have a stable financial base and an income cycle that's secure. That usually takes atleast 4-5 years IMO.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the household and culture I was brought up in, it was work and family time.

Food was once a day to keep working.