Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patriarchy

Patriarchy is a social system in which males hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property. Some patriarchal societies are also patrilineal, meaning that property and title are inherited by the male lineage.

Patriarchy is associated with a set of ideas, a patriarchal ideology that acts to explain and justify this dominance and attributes it to inherent natural differences between men and women. Sociologists tend to see patriarchy as a social product and not as an outcome of innate differences between the sexes and they focus attention on the way that gender roles in a society affect power differentials between men and women.[1][2]

Historically, patriarchy has manifested itself in the social, legal, political, religious, and economic organization of a range of different cultures.[3] Even if not explicitly defined to be by their own constitutions and laws, most contemporary societies are, in practice, patriarchal.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchy

Prior to agriculture men and women were seen as equal, women gathered and men hunted, often women would bring more calories as hunts were not always successful.

The advent of agriculture changed that, now humans could stay in one place and that bought Man to the fore, now he could own property including females and animals and crops, hence the start of Patriarchy.

Patriarchy and centuries of socialization of women explains more differences than the ones little boys are keen to point out.

What are dharmic/Hindu outlook on patriarchy?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patriarchy also gives rise to the notion that the best men are alpha and straight and the best women or women in general are property of men and should be demure and like children should be seen and not heard. And they suffer from Madonna/who're complex and _no_ to the moderator on duty o am not trying to circumvent your no swearing set up, that is what it is officially called.
    Last edited by Devilsadvokat; 8th December 2018 at 14:01.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patriarchy enforces the notion that there are only two genders, man or not man, it doesn't see gender as a spectrum, only as binary.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think it had swung too much to the female side in the West during last forty years thanks to capitalism in part, break up of nuclear family and more freedom for the indivudual.

I imagine a jirga or whatever the equivalent of family court is in Afghanistan and the old wise men are learning of the family courts in UK.

What! _She_ gets the kids and _he_ has to _pay_ for them¥@*%☆¿¿!!&₩#

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patriarchy is part of our culture, it's the backbone of our society. If you get rid of the patriarch, you get rid of authority and all you have is chaos and degeneracy.

"Peace is only made with the powerful"

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Patriarchy is part of our culture, it's the backbone of our society. If you get rid of the patriarch, you get rid of authority and all you have is chaos and degeneracy.
    Funnily in families it is the Matriarch that generally tends the whole clan together. The chaos and degeneracy is still there in a patriarchy, just that it is hidden.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Your posts are good esp during debates but all over the place, you're becoming another version of Mushakel.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    Your posts are good esp during debates but all over the place, you're becoming another version of Mushakel.
    I am diagnosed hypomaniac, sometimes it is worse than other times, even tho it gives me creativity, it also takes away my focus, distraction is also a big issue.

Maybe Mushakel needs to see doctor too.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsadvokat View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchy

Prior to agriculture men and women were seen as equal, women gathered and men hunted, often women would bring more calories as hunts were not always successful.

The advent of agriculture changed that, now humans could stay in one place and that bought Man to the fore, now he could own property including females and animals and crops, hence the start of Patriarchy.

Patriarchy and centuries of socialization of women explains more differences than the ones little boys are keen to point out.

What are dharmic/Hindu outlook on patriarchy?
    Would have been interesting to get a view from our Dharmic/Hindu contributors, they generally have no shortage of opinions on Abrahamic culture. Abrahamic being a term I learned on PP by the way. I am going to tag @CricketCartoons as he put forward a masterful theory of Hindu superiority over Islam in the respective attitudes to usury.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Would have been interesting to get a view from our Dharmic/Hindu contributors, they generally have no shortage of opinions on Abrahamic culture. Abrahamic being a term I learned on PP by the way. I am going to tag @CricketCartoons as he put forward a masterful theory of Hindu superiority over Islam in the respective attitudes to usury.
    While Islam says that jannat is at the feet of the mother, it restricts the status of the mother to someone who gave you birth, but Hinduism, mashallah, elevates and honours everything to the status of motherhood, if it nourished you, from rivers and lands to the cow. Verily, Bhagwaan ji is the Most Merciful and knows the best!

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    While Islam says that jannat is at the feet of the mother, it restricts the status of the mother to someone who gave you birth, but Hinduism, mashallah, elevates and honours everything to the status of motherhood, if it nourished you, from rivers and lands to the cow. Verily, Bhagwaan ji is the Most Merciful and knows the best!
    Now I think of it, even the cow is venerated whereas the bullock is slaughetered as food for unworthys and used to make bags and clothing. Don't know why Hindus have been so brow beaten into shame of their own culture or coveting it jealously from lessers instead of spreading the good word openly. Hats off to you sir for standing strong and proud, may other Indian PP members take inspiration and come out of their shells.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that's why rates why female infanticide and abortion of female foetuses are so high in India.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's an issue but with rise in women employment hopefully in 50 years we would get rid of.it.
    Indian women are going to lead the way, hopefully they realize the burden on their shoulders and have the courage to fight society and patriarchy.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsadvokat View Post
    So that's why rates why female infanticide and abortion of female foetuses are so high in India.
    Don't judge my religion by those who claim to practice it. my religion puts females at the highest pedestal. my wife wears the pants at home, for example.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't judge my religion by those who claim to practice it. my religion puts females at the highest pedestal. my wife wears the pants at home, for example.
    Everyone says that their religion puts females at the highest pedestal in theory but its never practiced. I guess there is a difference between female and wife, a wife is a wife no matter colour/culture/creed.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my wife wears the pants at home, for example.
    Well, that's a shocker.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    You of course dont have to take any notice but your username would sound better as Pakistinian, without losing the concept behind it.

Define chaos and degeneracy. I bet it all exists in the patriarchal society, just under a different name or under the radar or underground.

Patriarchy is also the backbone of chimp society. A often overlooked ancestor of humans equally as close to humans, pygmy chimpanzees or bonobos as they are known run on matriarchal lines.

Lots of violence with sex at the base of it in chimp society, in bonobo society they just have sex all day long, they use sex for every occassion.

Which one do you think is more peaceful and enlightened?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It nearly passed me by. In any relationship one of couple has to wear the trousers (pants, how American lol). Usually who wears is based on merit, reliability, organisational skills, budgeting etc.

After that you would hope the trouser wearer acts responsibly to all othet members of the family.

Contrast that with Islam, the man wears the trousers full stop. His decisions count for more and are final. He aint a man until he merts these obligations. He can even treat his wife as a child and admonish her with punishment.

Back then they didnt realise that your phyiscal private parts are 99.99 per cent, binary, but gender is on a spectrum.

No one should be given authority just because he has , well you know what am i gonna say.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Like everything in life: moderate viewpoint is the key.

On one hand we've got the extreme feminist POV: apparently all men are controlling patriarchs and their ultimate agenda is to own women as breeding cattle.

On the other hand we've got the opposite patriarchal POV: women are these manipulating witches who want to rule over men etc. and thus should be kept behind locked doors.

Their are loads of blogs, books, YouTube channels etc. around.
    Now comes what, IMHO, unites both sides....ding ding ding... MONEY.

Both feminists and (wannbe) patriarchs are making money off their ideas. Be it in shape of fundings or selling books etc etc.

Classic case of devide your public, spitt poisonous hateful ideas against the other gender on them and meanwhile make money off em.

Are all women angels? Hell nah. Their be some really bad females around. Example of how Reham Khan pathetically and unsuccessfully tried to poison IK's reputation. There are a lot of women around who've got deep psychological unresolved issues. Everything and anything triggers them. Avoid them for your own sake please.

Are all men angels? Hell nah. There are a lot of men who live in fantasy land. And believe women to be an inferior being than men. Example: new Internet Alphas/classic Mullahs or other man-children with deep psychological unresolved issues. Never let yourself become one these guys please.

Ok, so what's the optimum reaction to all this stink? Well, in my humble opinion, one should ignore all this crap and not fall in trap of listening to any extreme POV and never should waste time/energy on this crap. There, simply, are more important things to do in an individual's life.

Care for your people (men/women etc) and cherish them
    Last edited by WhenSultansBowled; 13th December 2018 at 20:06.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How topical, this is being discussed on radio5 right now.

A book called Inferior - How Science got Women wrong.

Even chimps and bonobos got a mention.