Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1731 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Yellow vest protest in Paris sees police detain hundreds

Police in Paris have fired rubber bullets and tear gas on protesters as a fourth weekend of anti-government protests turned violent.

The clashes came after up to 8,000 demonstrators gathered in the city centre. More than 500 people have been taken into custody.

At least 55 people have been injured, including three police officers.

The "yellow vest" movement opposed fuel tax rises but ministers say it has been hijacked by "ultra-violent" protesters.

Some 8,000 police officers and 12 armoured vehicles have been deployed in Paris, and nearly 90,000 officers were deployed countrywide.

Last week, hundreds of people were arrested and scores injured in violence in Paris - some of the worst street clashes in the French capital for decades.

Demonstrations are being held in several other cities including Lyon, Marseille and Grenoble, where a local leader of the yellow vests is reported to have been arrested.

Protests against climate change are also taking place in Paris and other locations across the country.

What is happening this weekend?
    There have been a number of confrontations in Paris. Some protesters have been seen smashing shop fronts, painting walls with graffiti and setting fire to cars.

Video footage showed one demonstrator being hit in the torso with a rubber bullet while standing in front of a line of police with his hands up. At least three members of the press were also hit.

Water cannon were deployed on a street east of the city centre.

As the sun set, different groups of protesters were converging on Place de la République. As well as the yellow-vest demonstration, a climate-change march was also being held in the city.

However, the BBC correspondents on the scene say that the situation remains tense on the Champs-Élysées - where the daytime action was centred - and a high level of tear gas is still in the air.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46492070

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The daughter will be performing across France from the 22nd till New Years across France. Hopefully this dies down by then.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has there been any looting. If not, that is very unlike the London Riots that spread.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Chisinau, Moldova
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Been following the Yellow Vests protests with interest recently and yep it's just another show of people having 'principles' until it effects them...

Oil prices might go up to £76 a barrel by the end of the year... Oil is expensive for everyone with OPEC refusing to increase production... Prices for fuel will likely go up in the UK also (by 11p and 14p per litre respectively)... So already world leaders are left in a tough position... One of the benefits though is for the environment with people in theory more likely to go the electric car route and use cars less... The Italians and Dutch actually pay more per litre than the French as do we...

Poor Macron... In September he got slammed for not doing enough for the environment...a European survey showed that 79% of the French were concerned about climate change... What evidently wasn't asked in that survey is if they cared enough for the future to have their pockets effected in the short term...

Diesel prices have indeed been raised by 23%...gas by 15%...and a carbon emission tax of $35 per ton... With incentives like a $2,840 bonus for drivers who ditch diesel cars or a $6,817 windfall for those who buy an energy-efficient car... But hey that doesn't help people in the short term ...

All the usual long termism in fake principles while exhibiting short termism in reality... Now that Macron has given in people can go back to attacking him for not doing enough for the environment...

But hey people are still protesting... If that's what destroying cars with people in them, burning buildings with ppl in them and looting can be called... These in addition to more unsavoury incidents such as:

A black woman was assaulted and told to go back to her country...

A Muslim woman forced to remove her hijab while being mocked by a group of men putting their yellow shirts on their head...

Two homosexuals assaulted 'I recognise him, he's gay' being the precursor...

Naturally there is the 'it's the Jews fault' stuff there with banners with 'Macron is the ***** of the Jews'

That the Far Right and Far Left have co-opted the movement (Le Pen and Melenchon have praised the 'protesters') is hardly a surprise...

But with Macron having backed down on the fuel what are the demands now?...

Their demands include a redistribution of wealth as well as the increase of salaries, pensions, social security payments and the minimum wage.

And of course anger at Macron for removing the wealth tax (which was part of his election promise)... Which gave him his 'friend of the rich' tag in the first place...

So if you have an asset valued at more than 1m euros you will be taxed on the revenue coming from that estate and you will be taxed on the estate itself even if it brings no revenue...

Something which most countries don't have and many countries have abolished... Because of their detrimental effect on the economy... Because unfortunately the reality is that taking away from the rich often results in taking away from the poor... Countries like Sweden abolished the tax because of capital flight, brain drain and the subsequent job losses caused by such flight... Not to mention the general net loss in tax revenue...One French economist estimates the wealth tax has earnt the government about $2.6 billion a year but has cost the country more than $125 billion in capital flight since 1998...

Irregardless of what the protesters think of Macron's policies he won the election and has until 2022 to make good on his promises...and then if not happy then go to the ballot box... And vote for Le Pen or Melenchon...

The most telling part of the protests were the asking for him to be replaced... What seems increasingly clear is the authoritarian wave is wielding its ugly head...

This isn't the protesters arguing for democracy and liberty... Rather its them trying their best to undermine them...

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    @shaykh good to see you back, on leave for the holidays

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Chisinau, Moldova
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    @shaykh good to see you back, on leave for the holidays
    Haha one more week...and then Christmas...all the usual faces still here? ...

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    If the rise in fuel prices is the primary reason for these non-pacifist protesting style then very poor form, however while this is great to reduce congestion and traffic there needs to be adequate alternatives and planning for widespread electrification; this will take a while though but you need to ease people into a world without resources they consume like food/water. By 2040 in the UK we wont be able to purchase new petrol or diesel vehicles, in the mean time manufacturers also can invest further in R&D to develop technology which is practical for the average consumer in a bid to also increase demand.

Right now it's not affordable due to the complexity of battery's which boost the upfront cost although good news is their value is dropping, but I think beyond this the product's viability compared to the internal combustion engine needs to be emphasised and a big area for improvement as reliability is a big factor, if people have faith then more will be willing to take a leap. Fuel cells are the future in my view though, more efficient, compact and by products are just water / hydrogen; cost again is an issue so this is where R&D come in again.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaykh View Post
    Been following the Yellow Vests protests with interest recently and yep it's just another show of people having 'principles' until it effects them...

Oil prices might go up to £76 a barrel by the end of the year... Oil is expensive for everyone with OPEC refusing to increase production... Prices for fuel will likely go up in the UK also (by 11p and 14p per litre respectively)... So already world leaders are left in a tough position... One of the benefits though is for the environment with people in theory more likely to go the electric car route and use cars less... The Italians and Dutch actually pay more per litre than the French as do we...

Poor Macron... In September he got slammed for not doing enough for the environment...a European survey showed that 79% of the French were concerned about climate change... What evidently wasn't asked in that survey is if they cared enough for the future to have their pockets effected in the short term...

Diesel prices have indeed been raised by 23%...gas by 15%...and a carbon emission tax of $35 per ton... With incentives like a $2,840 bonus for drivers who ditch diesel cars or a $6,817 windfall for those who buy an energy-efficient car... But hey that doesn't help people in the short term ...

All the usual long termism in fake principles while exhibiting short termism in reality... Now that Macron has given in people can go back to attacking him for not doing enough for the environment...

But hey people are still protesting... If that's what destroying cars with people in them, burning buildings with ppl in them and looting can be called... These in addition to more unsavoury incidents such as:

A black woman was assaulted and told to go back to her country...

A Muslim woman forced to remove her hijab while being mocked by a group of men putting their yellow shirts on their head...

Two homosexuals assaulted 'I recognise him, he's gay' being the precursor...

Naturally there is the 'it's the Jews fault' stuff there with banners with 'Macron is the ***** of the Jews'

That the Far Right and Far Left have co-opted the movement (Le Pen and Melenchon have praised the 'protesters') is hardly a surprise...

But with Macron having backed down on the fuel what are the demands now?...

Their demands include a redistribution of wealth as well as the increase of salaries, pensions, social security payments and the minimum wage.

And of course anger at Macron for removing the wealth tax (which was part of his election promise)... Which gave him his 'friend of the rich' tag in the first place...

So if you have an asset valued at more than 1m euros you will be taxed on the revenue coming from that estate and you will be taxed on the estate itself even if it brings no revenue...

Something which most countries don't have and many countries have abolished... Because of their detrimental effect on the economy... Because unfortunately the reality is that taking away from the rich often results in taking away from the poor... Countries like Sweden abolished the tax because of capital flight, brain drain and the subsequent job losses caused by such flight... Not to mention the general net loss in tax revenue...One French economist estimates the wealth tax has earnt the government about $2.6 billion a year but has cost the country more than $125 billion in capital flight since 1998...

Irregardless of what the protesters think of Macron's policies he won the election and has until 2022 to make good on his promises...and then if not happy then go to the ballot box... And vote for Le Pen or Melenchon...

The most telling part of the protests were the asking for him to be replaced... What seems increasingly clear is the authoritarian wave is wielding its ugly head...

This isn't the protesters arguing for democracy and liberty... Rather its them trying their best to undermine them...
    Very enlightening, i dont watch the news, just about read the headlines on internet. Won't watch till the Great Tory Party Punghaa that is brexit is over.

I agree with your educated view, but thats a lot of people burning. What's the death toll.

Some people just dont want the party to stop, or they arrived late...

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Haha one more week...and then Christmas...all the usual faces still here? ...
    Pretty much the same faces with a couple of new jobbers looking for the put over , I notice you only show up during certain times post non-stop for a few weeks then vanish like the undertaker

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Chisinau, Moldova
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsadvokat View Post
    Very enlightening, i dont watch the news, just about read the headlines on internet. Won't watch till the Great Tory Party Punghaa that is brexit is over.

I agree with your educated view, but thats a lot of people burning. What's the death toll.

Some people just dont want the party to stop, or they arrived late...
    I'm not sure of the exact number...it was six the last time I checked...and all yellow vests and not caused by police but more so by motorists...

One such story involved them blocking cars and then damaging them...one woman with her child drove into them and killed someone...

Plenty of injuries though...over 170 including 17 policemen...water cannon and tear gas is being used...what hasn't been broken down yet is who is responsible for what...so there has been the police fighting with the vests...general people...the vests fighting each other...it's a mess...

The setting of fires to property has been to destroy the property rather than to kill people...and as usually happens during these riots it's local businesses that are the targets of these attacks...

A lot of people are disgruntled...but the violence is mainly from the far-right and the anarchists...

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Chisinau, Moldova
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Pretty much the same faces with a couple of new jobbers looking for the put over , I notice you only show up during certain times post non-stop for a few weeks then vanish like the undertaker
    Haha yep I have to otherwise I would never get any work done

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Te-ai intors din nou mai omule. Distractie placuta.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

No vest.
    No protest.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    No vest. No Protest
    LOOL.

When i went on Umrah i tried to get one of the workers uniform, it was brown overalls with The Bin Laden Construction Company logo on the back, obviously no one sold me one.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

No vest.
    No protest.

What about all the clothing companies who have a vested interest in vests. Could be their doing to begin with.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    France and its habit of protests, how the signature of Saadibaba holds true "I'm not young enough to know everything"

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah you must have a fair bit of marking to do, maybe not as much compared to the UK. Good to see you around though and especially chat about Boxing, I usually have convos with myself in that thread Hopefully eastern europe is treating you well, btw check out the Vikings TV show it's so good