Peak Sachin Tendulkar vs Peak Virat Kohli - Page 4

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Peak Sachin Tendulkar or Peak Virat Kohli in Tests?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sachin all the way

3 50.00%
  • Virat for me

3 50.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waleed93 View Post
    A lot of people here who are choosing Tendulkar over Kohli are saying that Kohli didn't have a good WC. Keeping in mind Rohit's form which led Kohli to bat for a limited amount of time, to end with ~450 runs is quite good in my opinion.
    It's true that he is not as good as Tendulkar in WCs, but he is ahead in other aspects when it comes to ODIs.
    Ten batsmen outscored Virat Kohli in 2019 World Cup. He wasnt even in list of Top 10 run getters.

Likes of Shakib, Root, Williamson, Babar scored more runs than Kohli. Even Ben Stokes scored more runs than Kohli.

In Bi-Laterals he always scores tons of runs but in a competition with batsmen from all around the World, he has been largely outperformed.
    Last edited by Rafa; 14th December 2019 at 10:53.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Ten batsmen outscored Virat Kohli in 2019 World Cup. He wasnt even in list of Top 10 run getters.

Likes of Shakib, Root, Williamson, Babar scored more runs than Kohli. Even Ben Stokes scored more runs than Kohli.

In Bi-Laterals he always scores tons of runs but in a competition with batsmen from all around the World, he has been largely outperformed.
    Compare that to Tendulkar who DONINATED 3 world cups and was quite decent in the other 3.

1992 - Impressive for a teenager to score some good fities especially against Pakistan

1996 - Dominated, Top scorer

1999 - Average for his standards but wasn't a failure. Averaged 40+

2003 - Dominated, Top scorer once again

2007 - Early knock out. Was made to bat at #4. Played 3 games. Had only 1 good outing.

2011 - Dominated. Among Top 2-3 scorers

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    I have seen every one of them. Most of them live. But apart from his 98 at the centurion most of my favorite Sachin ODI innings came in other tournaments or bilaterals. Till date no Indian innings can come even remotely close to Kapil's 175 in the world cup
    Some of them I can mention now and I would argue they all are better innings than any knock that Kohli played in WC:-

1996 WC:-

1)Vs Sri Lanka, he scored a 130 odd at 100 SR in India's total of 272, which was an excellent score in 1st inning. This was arguably one of his best knocks in WC outside of the Pakistan one.

2)Vs Australia, he got a 90 which you already know.

2003 WC:-

3)75 ball 98 vs Pakistan, enuff said.

2011 WC:-

4)111(101) vs a strong South African team

4)120(115) vs England

6)Arguably, a match winning 80 odd vs Pakistan in WC semi final.

He had some more quality knocks like the one vs WI in '96, Aus in '11 and a century vs Sri Lanka in '03 WC but the impact was bigger in the mentioned six games and they all are better performance than any inning Kohli has played in World Cup.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 14th December 2019 at 13:07.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Some of them I can mention now and I would argue they all are better innings than any knock that Kohli played in WC:-

1996 WC:-

1)Vs Sri Lanka, he scored a 130 odd at 100 SR in India's total of 272, which was an excellent score in 1st inning. This was arguably one of his best knocks in WC outside of the Pakistan one.

2)Vs Australia, he got a 90 which you already know.

2003 WC:-

3)75 ball 98 vs Pakistan, enuff said.

2011 WC:-

4)111(101) vs a strong South African team

4)120(115) vs England

6)Arguably, a match winning 80 odd vs Pakistan in WC semi final.

He had some more quality knocks like the one vs WI in '96, Aus in '11 and a century vs Sri Lanka in '03 WC but the impact was bigger in the mentioned six games and they all are better performance than any inning Kohli has played in World Cup.
    That Srilanka knock 137 i watchced live. Still vividly remember. It was such an easy surface to bat on. But Tendulkar did not attack the bowler until say 45th over or so. He was very cautious upto that point. I Jayasuriya/Kalu started with 42 runs in 3 overs. I wish he had started the acceleration a bit sooner. His 90 was a quality one. His 65 in the semi was a decent one given the nature of the surface.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    That Srilanka knock 137 i watchced live. Still vividly remember. [V]It was such an easy surface to bat on.[/B] But Tendulkar did not attack the bowler until say 45th over or so. He was very cautious upto that point. I Jayasuriya/Kalu started with 42 runs in 3 overs. I wish he had started the acceleration a bit sooner. His 90 was a quality one. His 65 in the semi was a decent one given the nature of the surface.
    If it was such an easy pitch to bat on, then why did the other Great Opener Prabhakar scored 7 ( 36) ? How did Manjrekar perform ?

Jaya and Kalu were known to give explosive starts in those days irrespective of the surface, sometimes it clicked and sometimes it didnt ( Semifinals 96 ) . Even Jayasuriya only scored 79 in 76 balls nearly 100 SR, while Tendulkar also scored 137 in 137 Balls..... What more were you expecting from Tendulkar? To single handedly score 200 in 137 Balls while likes of Manjrekar and Prabhakar take their sweet little time.

Those were not the days of Phatta tracks and bigger bats like the current Kohlis era where its usual for batsmen to score at 150-200 S/R.

Maybe if Prabhakar and Manjrekar didnt bat like snails coupled with some late order big strikes down the order India might have reached around 300 and put up a better challenge. But even then it would be necessary to dismiss Jaya and Kalu cheaply.

Tendulkar made a contribution of 137 in 137 balls, cant expect more than that from an opener against a Top Side in 90s era.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liam26 View Post
    If it was such an easy pitch to bat on, then why did the other Great Opener Prabhakar scored 7 ( 36) ? How did Manjrekar perform ?

Jaya and Kalu were known to give explosive starts in those days irrespective of the surface, sometimes it clicked and sometimes it didnt ( Semifinals 96 ) . Even Jayasuriya only scored 79 in 76 balls nearly 100 SR, while Tendulkar also scored 137 in 137 Balls..... What more were you expecting from Tendulkar? To single handedly score 200 in 137 Balls while likes of Manjrekar and Prabhakar take their sweet little time.

Those were not the days of Phatta tracks and bigger bats like the current Kohlis era where its usual for batsmen to score at 150-200 S/R.

Maybe if Prabhakar and Manjrekar didnt bat like snails coupled with some late order big strikes down the order India might have reached around 300 and put up a better challenge. But even then it would be necessary to dismiss Jaya and Kalu cheaply.

Tendulkar made a contribution of 137 in 137 balls, cant expect more than that from an opener against a Top Side in 90s era.
    Don't look at the scorecard. Tendulkar was confident and at peak of his powers. Just that he did not choose to attack up until that point.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tendulkar was a treat to watch. His innings against Pakistan in 2003 World Cup was exceptional. Some of the shots were just world class.

Cricket is changed compare to Tendulkars time. Kohli got flatter pitches and weaker bowlers compare to who Tendulkar faced.
    Last edited by KingKhan12; 14th December 2019 at 17:39.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhan12 View Post
    Tendulkar was a treat to watch. His innings against Pakistan in 2003 World Cup was exceptional. Some of the shots were just world class.

Cricket is changed compare to Tendulkars time. Kohli got flatter pitches and weaker bowlers compare to who Tendulkar faced.
    Disagree. Tendulkar faced very very weak bowlers as well. He infact underachieved against some teams. For instance Tendulkar could have absolutely dominated obliterated 1993 England attack, ZImbabwe attack, Srilanka attack. Also in England he didn't exactly face ATGs either. He threw his wicket away many times with loss of concentration. I won't entirely blame him. Tendulkar at his peak hardly had chance to play tests. There was awful low number of Test matches at that point. He played mostly one dayers. So some one day habits crept into his batting. He didn't exactly realize his peak potential. Still ended up with an average of 58 in the 90s. Tendulkar's most challenging, daunting point of his career was upfront when he made debut. Almost exclusively overseas tours. Pakistan, NZ, England, Australia. He passed with flying colors in each series. In the mid 90s he hit the peak. They hardly scheduled any test matches which is sad.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    Tendulkar didn't use to field in slips? Well, you learn something new everyday....

And even if one takes your statement at its face value, its better to stay away from slips especially if you keep on dropping catches there....However Kohli has this very big ego of him which sometimes helps his team and sometimes is detrimental to it.
    Tendulkar didn't feid in slips in England, Australia and South African conditions. Ever wonderd why ?

Kohli saves more runs on the field and takes catches that arent' catches even if you add the dollies he dropped it still makes up. I never watched Murali or Ganguly drop a single catch ever. Does that mean they are better fielders ?
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 14th December 2019 at 20:43.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Realromeo View Post
    Tendulkar didn't feid in slips in England, Australia and South African conditions. Ever wonderd why ?

Kohli saves more runs on the field and takes catches that arent' catches even if you add the dollies he dropped it still makes up. I never watched Murali or Ganguly drop a single catch ever. Does that mean they are better fielders ?
    You have clearly not seen his drops then lol No India will forget this drop by Kohli. He shelled a simple one Baz was on 9. NZ would have been 78/4 with 168 runs behind to avoid innings defeat. He went on to make 302 and match was shut down

Mohammed Shami to McCullum, no run, dropped at silly mid-on! Kohli, that was a relatively easy one! It was fullish and McCullum went through with a drive even though he wasn't to the pitch of it. It went to the left of Kohli but he snatched at it with his left hand and doesn't hold on. Came a lot slower than he expected. How costly is that going to be?

ANother one was he dropped Warner and he made 180 runs.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 14th December 2019 at 20:44.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://sports.ndtv.com/south-africa...dtv_topstories

Star batter Virat Kohli on Wednesday surpassed the legendary Sachin Tendulkar's tally of 5065 runs to become the Indian player with most runs in away One-day Internationals. He achieved the feat during the first ODI against South Africa. Kohli made 51 off 63 balls, with the help of three boundaries. Sri Lanka's Kumar Sangakkara (5,518) holds the top spot for most runs in overseas ODIs. When he reached 27, Kohli also went past former skippers Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid for most runs scored against the Proteas.

Succeeded recently by Rohit Sharma as India's full-time limited-overs skipper, Kohli came into the game with 1287 runs.

Kohli now remains only behind Tendulkar, who has scored 2,001 runs against South Africa in ODIs, the most by any player across countries.

In the overall list, Kohli is now the sixth-highest run-scorer against South Africa. Apart from Tendulkar, Kohli is behind Ricky Ponting (1,879), Kumar Sangakkara (1,789), Steve Waugh (1,581), and Shivnarine Chanderpaul (1,559).

Kohli shocked the cricket fraternity last week by announcing his decision to step down as India's Test captain, a day after the team lost the three-match series 1-2.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peak Tendulkar was better.

Tendulkar is much more technically capable than Kohli.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In ODIs also, I will pick Tendulkar. He has a World Cup average of 56 and was the leading run scorer/2nd leading run scorer for three tournaments.

Kohli has disappointed in this regard as he has never been among the top 10 run scorers in any given ODI World Cup.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I would say Tendulkar handled the pressures of carrying the burden, expectations of the entire nation much better. He handled failures, disappointments with dignity

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sachin is to Pakistanis what Babar is to Indians.

They will never be respected in each other's countries the way Wasim, Kohli, Imran, Dhoni, Sehwag, Anwar are, no matter what they do. Amir/Rizwan will get more respect in India and Rishabh Pant/Bumrah in Pakistan.

Obviously Sachin and Babar are no comparison at this stage of Babar's career but just providing my viewpoint in terms of the respect they receive. Even if all of world's experts are on side, and even if, atleast Sachin has a very good record against Pakistan.

I feel personally it has to do with how they seem as if they are playing the game for themselves, and how they deliver when the chips are truly down.

There will be arguments made by both sets of supporters to the contrary but it won't change a single mind.