Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Steve Smith and David Warner's comeback ahead of 2019 World Cup

Justin Langer is open to a contentious proposal that would fast-track the Australian national team returns of Steve Smith and Dave Warner.

The Australia coach is delighted with what he is seeing from Smith, Warner and fellow exile Cameron Bancroft as the punishments for their parts in the South African sandpaper debacle near their end.

Bancroft’s Cricket Australia ban ends on December 29 while Smith and Warner are eligible for Australian selection again on March 29.

Smith and Warner could return through the Indian Premier League but Pakistan are proposing a five-match series of one dayers against Australia in the UAE before the World Cup.

The series from March 31 is set to ruffle Indian feathers because the dates cut across the IPL.

“There’s potential, yeah, definitely potential,” Langer said of the Pakistan proposal.

“That’s part of the process.

“There are lots of conversations going on; what’s best for our bowlers, best for the guys returning.

“I’m sure we’ll work through that ... but there’s certainly been no decisions.”

Langer is impressed with the attitudes and preparations of the banned trio.

“He (Smith) is the Virat Kohli of the Australian cricket team, that’s the truth of it,” Langer said.

“I know how determined he is to get back and play for Australia.

“That makes me feel warm and fuzzy, knowing Steve Smith is determined.”

Langer pointed to Bancroft’s letter to his younger self that was published in the West Australian on the weekend.

“That was incredibly courageous, what we wrote and he’s learned,” Langer said.

“He’s gone from pretty much you’d say a boy into a man, from what’s happened; that warms my heart as well.”

Langer also has no doubt about what the pugnacious Warner is doing to prepare himself.

“Davey Warner would be training like Rocky Balboa at the moment ... (he is) such a good player,” Langer said.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/cr...ng-b881059066z

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I simply ADORE Langer's press quips. Stuff of memes.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol why is this headline news now ? I heard about this week's ago.

Australia should get them back into the team as soon as the ban is finished.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Lol why is this headline news now ? I heard about this week's ago.
    Because Langer spoke about it today.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    “He (Smith) is the Virat Kohli of the Australian cricket team, that’s the truth of it,” Langer said

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mp812rediff View Post
    “He (Smith) is the Virat Kohli of the Australian cricket team, that’s the truth of it,” Langer said
    Virat Kohli is not a disgraceful cheat. Not even close.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Absolutely nonsense. If Smith was a real cheat he would've blatantly refused his involvement in the whole scenario and would've thrown the rookie bowler under the bus.

It's the stupid Australian cricket board that went overboard and punished Smith way more than he actually deserved.

Do Plessis cheated and tempered the ball with lollipop. What punishment did CSA give to him.

And pls don't hold kohli to such a high position. There r quite a few images where kohli was seen using lollipop saliva to shine the ball. What punishment did BCCI give to him?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan_ View Post
    Absolutely nonsense. If Smith was a real cheat he would've blatantly refused his involvement in the whole scenario and would've thrown the rookie bowler under the bus.

It's the stupid Australian cricket board that went overboard and punished Smith way more than he actually deserved.

Do Plessis cheated and tempered the ball with lollipop. What punishment did CSA give to him.

And pls don't hold kohli to such a high position. There r quite a few images where kohli was seen using lollipop saliva to shine the ball. What punishment did BCCI give to him?
    Extremely naive of you to believe what happened in South Africa was a one off episode involving those players and the Australian team in general

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Virat Kohli is a sadak chap who swears(see S.Marsh wicket in 2nd test) while promising no sledging at start of series.Even Gavaskar slammed him with starting the sledging in this and 2014 series.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith didn't do anything wrong. The decisions made on him were harsh.

Bowl tampering ain't a big deal. CA made those decisions to keep their reputation and dignity high.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullycricket View Post
    Virat Kohli is a sadak chap who swears(see S.Marsh wicket in 2nd test) while promising no sledging at start of series.Even Gavaskar slammed him with starting the sledging in this and 2014 series.
    Sledging is not tantamount to cheating. Yes I don't like Kohli's fake Aussie and South African wannabe desperately forced aggression and his cowardly antics of giving send offs to opposition batsmen when he and his team are on top and then to see him go into a shell when his team are badly behind the game, but it is not tantamount to cheating.

A lot of justified question marks on how long the Aussie regime of Smith, Warner, Lehman were tampering with the ball and cheating to win games. It is questionable how Starc was able to get reverse swing out of no where on that flat Melbourne pitch against Pakistan on Day 5 when did nothing through out the test match and Star's dismal ineffective performances since the ball tampering scandal.

And let's not even claim that Smith was some kind of role model gentleman. Everyone can see photos of him mocking an Indian player who was carrying an injury

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad Smith and Warner are coming back earlier than said. They have been punished more than enough.

Just hope they have learned their lessons and stop planned and repeated cheating attempts and lying. No more sandpapers and no more "brain fade" DRS.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically no chance for Australia to tour Pakistan then...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we should bring back Sharjeel.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    LOL at people trying to equate Smith's conduct with Kohli's on field aggression and sledging. How desperate can people get?

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    And we should bring back Sharjeel.
    Aamir and Sharjeel vs Smith and Warner

Blockbuster!!!

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan_ View Post

Does your non stop moaning and crying about Indian team and players help you sleep better? I hope it at least helps you forget the pain of being the fan of your number 8-9 ranked Asian powermouse team which lost a home test to Zimbabwe recently.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1730 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wonder what would be the excuse now if we smash the Aussies again WITH Smith and Warner.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    For this we need to shift our series a bit later I believe.

We should make sure they travel to Pakistan in return. Play in Pakistan or play without Smith and Warner.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home and away: Australian cricket a 'soap opera,' says Langer

Australian cricket cannot escape its "soap opera" with the ghosts of 2018 following the team to Sydney for the new year.

Coach Justin Langer has conceded Cameron Bancroft's controversial interview, which overshadowed one of the marquee days of the cricket calendar, was a distraction for the Test side in their loss to India in Melbourne.

On Wednesday night, as Australia's players gear up for the fourth Test at the SCG, Bancroft will be across town at Spotless Stadium on Big Bash League duties for the Perth Scorchers.

In another twist of fate, David Warner's Sylhet Sixers will take on Steve Smith's Comilla Victorians in the Bangladesh Premier League on Sunday night - a match-up which would not have been possible had the Bangladesh board not made last-minute changes to their rules to allow the former Australian captain to play in their Twenty20 tournament.

Smith and Warner are working to repair their relationship, which was strained after the events in Newlands. The pair have already squared off in Canada's Global T20 and more recently in Sydney's first-grade competition.

Momentum is building for the pair to be recalled to the national side once they complete their 12-month suspensions in late March.

Test captain Tim Paine gave the strongest indication yet they will be welcomed back to the Test side for the Ashes, which Australia will have little hope defending without them having lost four of six games since the bans were handed down.

Cricket Australia is exploring how Smith and Warner can play in the final two games of the one-day international series against Pakistan in the UAE.

There could be a scenario where the duo are able to train with the team on tour but not join in the player/match official area on game day until their bans expire.

With all this drama in the background, it is little wonder Langer could be forgiven for thinking his job is not as a cricket coach.

"It's all just part of the soap opera we're in every day. I feel like a director of a soap opera at the moment, I honestly do," Langer said.

Bancroft made his comeback to top-level cricket on Sunday when he was jeered to the crease then given mild applause on his way off the ground after making two.

While those close to Bancroft were expecting a different reaction to his interview with Adam Gilchrist, which drew wide criticism, the opener is said to be feeling better having completed it.

Langer has previously referred to Australian cricket as a "dysfunctional family" with the sideshow of last week a case in point.

"That's part of coaching - it's man management, looking after people and caring for people," Langer said.

"That was just another distraction last week. There's different ways you can look at those interviews.

"It's just another part of our day-to-day job. We're in touch with the boys all the time, there's a really good process we're going to go through to get the boys back into the team. It was great to see Cameron playing last night. It's part of the soap opera."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...31-p50ozh.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1807 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Shane Warne reveals why Australia can win World Cup

Both are widely expected to walk straight back into Australia’s XI, although opinion remains divided on how the pair will fare after such a lengthy period away from competitive cricket.

But Warne has no concerns, pointing to his own 12-month ban from the game and the limited effect it ultimately had on his playing career.

“Sometimes having an enforced lay off - like I’m used to, I had 12 months off myself - what that means is you become really fresh,” Warne - who was in 2003 banned from cricket for testing positive to banned diuretic drugs - said on Fox Cricket.

“You freshen your mind up, you become hungry again and realise how important cricket is to you.”

That’s not the only reason why Warne fancies Australia’s chances at the World Cup.

The legendary spinner added that both players will “have a point to prove” when they eventually make their returns.

“That’s why I reckon Australia can win the World Cup,” Warne said.

“Have a look at their records. Absolute class, as good as anybody in the world those two players. They’ll walk straight back in, they’ll be hungry.

“They’ll be a bit nervous in the first few games but that’ll be good for them, they’ll be excited and I would expect them to play as good as they always have.”

Smith and Warner were key members of Australia’s World Cup winning team in 2015 and are among the nation’s finest one-day batsmen this century.

Former Australia captain Smith has made 3,431 ODI runs at 41.84, and Warner 4,343 at 43.43. There are 22 ODI centuries between the pair.

Brett Lee said he has no doubts they will still have what it takes to perform at the highest level if they are on top of their mental game in front of what will likely be a hostile UK crowd.

“I think it comes down to their mental strength. I have no issues with their ability, I’ve got no issues with their technique,” 2003 World Cup winner Lee said on Fox Cricket.

“Because when any of us play in England you get sledged, you get hammered from the crowd. But I think it’s how they deal with it.”

He added: “Try and laugh it off and get through that tough period.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...d8a9c9d00b5d2a

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Aamir and Sharjeel vs Smith and Warner

Blockbuster!!!
    Battle of the banned.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Warner is the more crucial addition whereas Smith is pretty ordinary by modern ODI standards.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully Warner gets his mojo back, he is a dangerous batsman when in form and a treat to watch.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    I think Warner is the more crucial addition whereas Smith is pretty ordinary by modern ODI standards.
    He might be, but pre-ban I would have backed him to produce in a big tournament ala S Waugh- he was just 'good" as an ODI player but played out of his skln in a couple of World Cup trophy wins over the decades.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    He might be, but pre-ban I would have backed him to produce in a big tournament ala S Waugh- he was just 'good" as an ODI player but played out of his skln in a couple of World Cup trophy wins over the decades.
    Smith had a pretty good 2015 if I remember correctly but then again, Starc was on fire back then and probably helped Australia more.

Now, in a world where the bowling line up looks pedestrian and the batsmen need to score heavily and quickly, Smith kind of just slots in....meh.

But you're right, he could up his game for a world cup.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Gaurantee you that id Smith was playing the other day, the Aussies wouldn't have choked so hard.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Smith has scored the bulk of his runs at home. He only has one ton out of Aus. Obviously he is an upgrade on current Aus batsman but not sure if he will perform that well in England. Especially after missing out for so long.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith had a pretty good 2015 if I remember correctly but then again, Starc was on fire back then and probably helped Australia more.

Now, in a world where the bowling line up looks pedestrian and the batsmen need to score heavily and quickly, Smith kind of just slots in....meh.

But you're right, he could up his game for a world cup.
    Eh, Smith is the biggest HTB in ODIs, look at his away stats. Don't take his 2015 WC seriously, Smith was playing in Australia (he averages < 30 outside Aus)

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Eh, Smith is the biggest HTB in ODIs, look at his away stats. Don't take his 2015 WC seriously, Smith was playing in Australia (he averages < 30 outside Aus)
    HTB is only relevant for tests. For LOIs , they are more of a fun fact. How do you explain a batsmen scoring more at home in ODIs when he scores in tests both home and away?

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    Gaurantee you that id Smith was playing the other day, the Aussies wouldn't have choked so hard.
    They did actually, during their last tour to India. Smith was well set at 50-odd, with Australia needing 115 runs off last 20-odd overs, with 6 wickets in hand.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...in-ind-2017-18

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home or not, he played very well in a world cup, with all that home pressure and got his team a world cup win.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Secret Steve Smith, David Warner reintegration plan revealed

Steve Smith and David Warner’s formal reintegration will start earlier than expected, with the banned duo to soon front World Cup teammates in the UAE.
    Smith and Warner are set to catch up with Australia’s ODI squad in Dubai prior to joining their respective Indian Premier League franchises for the Twenty20 tournament that begins on March 23.

The face-to-face meetings are the surest sign yet the gifted batsmen will be part of Australia’s World Cup defence, as has long been the widespread expectation.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns recently suggested Smith and Warner, now in the final three weeks of year-long suspensions, would likely have played ODIs against Pakistan on March 29 and 31 if not for their elbow injuries.

Coach Justin Langer and selectors will not rush the former captain and vice- captain back into the XI, having left them out of the 15-man squad that will travel from Delhi to Dubai on Thursday.

But the visit will give Smith and Warner a chance to reconnect with support staff and teammates, and start repairing any strained relationships within the touring party.

It will be their first exposure to a team culture and high-performance environment that has undergone major changes under Langer since the Cape Town cheating scandal.

Langer has been in regular dialogue with both Smith and Warner since being appointed coach, while they’ve been part of NSW training sessions and kept in touch with many teammates during a year in exile.

But, up until now, Smith and Warner have been kept at arm’s length from national squads.

Smith and Warner’s trip is expected to fall before the five-match series against Pakistan starts on March 22.

Langer, who likened himself to a soap opera director and described Australian cricket as a dysfunctional family this summer, wants his charges to focus on maintaining the momentum they’ve generated with back-to-back wins over India.

Nathan Lyon, Pat Cummins, Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb and Jhye Richardson are members of the current ODI squad who were also on deck at Newlands when the ball-tampering furore erupted.

Cummins has backed Smith and Warner to make seamless returns.

“We have all played a lot of cricket with them. It’s not a surprise they are coming back, we have known it for a long time,” Cummins said.

“They are two really good guys ... I don’t see any problems.”

Khawaja suggested the squad is content with a scenario in which two incumbent batsmen will be axed to accommodate Smith and Warner.

“They are world-class players and they’ve been amazing for the one-day team ... when they do come back they’ll be welcomed with open arms,” Khawaja said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...b709746231fa4e

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have doubts about Smith and Warner getting selected for the World Cup.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1807 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Banned duo Steve Smith and David Warner will begin their reintegration into the Australian white ball squad in the UAE, with the pair set to conclude their 12 month ban on March 28.

Although the former Australian captains were omitted for the upcoming tour of the UAE, the pair will front the national squad in Dubai as they prepare for the five-match series against Pakistan.

It's expected that Smith and Warner will train with the Australian squad for approximately a week before they reunite with their respective Indian Premier League franchises for the Twenty20 tournament that begins on March 23.

Although the 12-month suspension expires in time for the final two matches against Pakistan, selection chairman Trevor Hohns believes that the "best pathway" for their returns will be through the Indian Premier League as they both recover from their respective elbow surgeries.

"After consultation with members of the National Selection Panel, Greg Chappell and Head Coach Justin Langer, Interim EGM Team Performance Belinda Clark, CA Medical Team and both players, it has been agreed Steve Smith and David Warner will not be available for selection for the final two matches of the series against Pakistan," Hohns said in a statement.

"While their bans will be finished on March 28, Steve and David have been working through rehabilitation from elbow surgery and it has been agreed the best pathway for them to return to play is in the Indian Premier League, a strong competition which features some of the world's best players."

Due to the restrictions of their bans, Smith and Warner have been kept at an arms length from the national side but have instead trained with NSW and their respective grade cricket clubs.

They also practiced with Pat Cummins, Mitch Starc and Josh Hazlewood over the summer, before they suffered injuries in the Bangladesh Premier League.

But the Dubai visit will give Smith and Warner an opportunity to reconnect with players and familiarise themselves with the new team environment ahead of the World Cup.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/cric...m1rih51d1g8gll

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1807 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Steve Smith and David Warner must prepare for a barrage of fan hostility and intense media scrutiny in the United Kingdom this year, says Ricky Ponting, who has warned their international returns could "derail" Australia's World Cup campaign if the team isn't adequately prepared.

The gradual easing of Smith and Warner back into the national fold following their 12-month bans will begin in the UAE later this month ahead of their expected recall for Australia's 50-over world title defence, beginning on June 1 in Bristol.

Ponting, a three-time World Cup winner and the most successful captain in the tournament's history, will play an integral role in smoothing the duo's likely returns when he joins Australia's coaching staff for the six-and-a-half week campaign.

While the 44-year-old doesn't anticipate any internal hostility towards the side's former captain and vice-captain, he stressed both the pair and the rest of the ODI squad need to prepare for unprecedented antagonism externally.

"I don't think it is much of a challenge internally around the players," Ponting told cricket.com.au. "You'd like to think that those guys are having conversations now, so they're not leaving it to the last minute and just be exposed to this thing that could be derailing to a team.

"I'm sure this would have been talked about at a higher level for a long time - how do we integrate them back in? How do they fit in? How is it all going to be seamless?

"But the hardest part for those guys is going to be the public perception of us, especially in England.

"They're coming back into a World Cup in the UK - they shouldn’t be expecting too many pats on the back over there.

"They're going to cop it everywhere they go. They've got to know that, they've got to accept that and understand that.

"The team needs to as well, because that could also be something that could be unsettling for a team."

The Aussies got a brief taste of the stick they might cop at the World Cup during their six-game limited-overs tour of the UK last year, with some fans at The Oval bringing '4' and '6' cards printed on yellow sandpaper into the ground, a crude reference to the foiled Cape Town ball-tampering plot.

Smith and Warner weren't named to play in Australia's final World Cup tune-up in the UAE, an upcoming five-match series against Pakistan, despite their bans elapsing before the fourth ODI in Dubai.

But it was confirmed this week that the pair will link up with the squad in the Middle East, ahead of their Indian Premier League stints, in which they'll turn out for Rajasthan Royals (Smith) and Sunrisers Hyderabad (Warner).

Ponting, who lost just two of the 29 World Cup games in which he was captain, forecast that both may be taken aback by the level of animosity that accompanies their comebacks.

And stressed that runs will be their best defence against it.

"I think they are well equipped (to handle the scrutiny), but I think it could be a shock for them by the same token when they come back," Ponting said.

"They have to expect the absolute worst and then anything better than that is going to be a bonus for them. That would be the way I would approach it if I was them.

"But at the same time, the way they'll integrate themselves back in quickly and have some of the public helping them out, is for them to be scoring runs. If they’re scoring runs and the Australian cricket team is winning, it’ll be a whole lot easier.

"If it’s the other way around and they're not scoring runs and the Australian team is losing, then it’s going to be hard.

"That's where there's a great challenge there for all of us - not just for them, but for all of us coaches and everyone in that squad of 15 – there's going to be some great challenges but ones that I'm looking forward to."

From a purely on-field perspective, the returns of Smith and Warner to the one-day side had looked like they could not come soon enough during the side’s recent run of losses.

But Australia's recent performances in India, where they've followed two tight ODI defeats with a pair of clutch victories to set up a series decider on Wednesday, looks to have increased competition for batting spots in the World Cup squad of 15.

Ponting has admitted concern over the way Australia have played spin in the middle overs during their barren recent stretch in ODI cricket, though the likes of Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell and even newcomer Ashton Turner have all thrived in the ongoing series against arguably the most potent spin attack in the world on their home turf.

Warner and Smith's quality will be hard to ignore; between them, they have 22 ODI tons, the same number of hundreds Australia's entire squad in India have put together.

But bedding down an effective game-plan to match it with the world's best while also reintegrating two players who will have missed 14 months of international cricket by the time their World Cup opener against Afghanistan arrives looms as one of Ponting's major challenges in new role.

"If you look at the way the best teams go about it, (how) England and India go about it now, they tend to go particularly hard at the top of the order," Ponting said of Australia’s rivals.

"England especially go really hard to a point where (only) if it gets to like a three or four for 50 then they'll have (Eoin) Morgan or even (Jos) Butler to come in the middle order and slow things down a little bit and keep wickets in hand. And then try and explode at the end again.

"I haven't spoken in depth with Justin about that (strategy) yet, because we haven't been exactly sure about what our team line up is going to be. There's still a big question around Warner and Smith and do they come straight back in.

"Until we know the answer to that, we don't know what our style of play is going to be, because you could have guys that are not quite as skilled … in those positions that those guys are going to bat in.

"But once we know if those guys are coming back in, I’ve certainly got a pretty clear picture in my head of the way I’d like to see this team play through the World Cup."

Australia's World Cup fixtures

May 25: (warm-up) England v Australia, Southampton

May 27: (warm-up) Australia v Sri Lanka, Southampton

June 1: Afghanistan v Australia, Bristol (D/N)

June 6: Australia v West Indies, Trent Bridge

June 9: India v Australia, The Oval

June 12: Australia v Pakistan, Taunton

June 15: Sri Lanka v Australia, The Oval

June 20: Australia v Bangladesh, Trent Bridge

June 25: England v Australia, Lord's

June 29: New Zealand v Australia, Lord's (D/N)

July 6: Australia v South Africa, Old Trafford (D/N)

July 9: Semi-Final 1, Old Trafford

July 11: Semi-Final 2, Edgbaston

July 14: Final, Lord's

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/rick...dia/2019-03-12

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    hope Warner found his rhythm back before IPL starts.. he wasn't good other t20 leagues he's played in..

ﺳُﺒْﺤَﺎﻥَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭﺍﻟْﺤَﻤْﺪُﻟﻠّﻪِ ﻭَ ﻻ ﺍِﻟﻪَ ﺍِﻟَّﺎ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﻭَ ﺍﻟﻠّﻪُ ﺍَﻛْﺒَﺮُ
    PCL 3 FC CHAMPIONS | Loose Cannons CC | #CannonsFire

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    I have doubts about Smith and Warner getting selected for the World Cup.
    Warner is an absolute must, if he's in form Australia can definitely reach semis or even finals.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warner is an absolute must, if he's in form Australia can definitely reach semis or even finals.
    Not entirely sure Australia will risk playing a bloke who last faced an international class bowling attack 14 months ago.

Read Ponting's latest interview. There are second thoughts.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Senior players ‘to miss’ David Warner, Steve Smith ODI squad meeting

Steve Smith and David Warner’s rendezvous with the Australian ODI squad will last just hours, and not include senior players.
    The suspended batsmen were on Tuesday revealed to be joining the squad this week in Dubai, where a meeting outlining team values and culture before Australia’s World Cup defence will be held.

Now it’s understood that the meeting could last as little as half a day, and it will not include Test captain Tim Paine, vice captain Josh Hazlewood and senior fast bowler Mitchell Starc, cricket.com.au reported. Cameron Bancroft also won’t attend.

Only the members of the current ODI squad will be present for Smith and Warner’s formal reintegration.

Both Paine and Bancroft will be busy on Sheffield Shield duty, while Hazlewood (back) and Starc (pectoral) won’t travel as they continue their injury rehabilitation programs.

Smith and Warner will then join their respective Indian Premier League franchises for the Twenty20 tournament that begins on March 23. Their ball-tampering suspensions end on March 29.

Both players are on track to play in the IPL, and are expected to make full recoveries from their elbow injuries before the World Cup starts in late May.

Warner is at the most advanced stage of his recovery, having returned to competitive cricket on the weekend with Sydney grade side Randwick-Petersham, going on to make a century.

Smith has been confined to the nets and, for the first time on Tuesday, began to face fast bowling again.

“The elbow feels really good. This was the first time I’ve faced fast bowling in the nets and it’s all coming along really nicely,” Smith told reporters at Drummoyne Oval on Tuesday, where he batted in the nets as his NSW teammates played Victoria.

“I did some range hitting and I feel like I’ve got my full movement and range.

“I strap the elbow up when I’m batting, but otherwise it’s all good, I’m out of the brace.

“I’ve been in the nets a few times now facing the ‘wanger’ (ball thrower) and it’s all on track for me to play the first game of the IPL if I’m picked.

“The plan is that I’ll gradually start throwing again during the IPL and I’ll be full tilt by the time the World Cup rolls around.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...6b77f471a716d2

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1807 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Australia’s on-field and off-field plans for the World Cup will form the crux of a team meeting with Steve Smith and David Warner in Dubai.

The incumbent ODI squad has landed in the UAE for their five-match series against Pakistan.

Smith and Warner will soon briefly join the touring party during a stopover en route to their respective Indian Premier League franchises.

It will mark the first time the disgraced duo, now serving the final fortnight of their year-long bans, have formally been part of the team environment since the Cape Town cheating scandal.

“It’s the perfect opportunity to get us all together, to talk about some of our plans for the World Cup,” coach Justin Langer said.

“Keep reiterating the messages about our gameplans on the field, keep reiterating the messages about what’s important for us as a group off the field. “Because they go hand in hand.

“It’s going to be really good to see them. We’re all looking forward to catching up.”

Langer and captain Aaron Finch have fostered a fantastic team culture in a short space of time, as reflected by Australia fighting back from 0-2 down to win their five-match series against India.

Successfully managing Smith and Warner’s reintegration will be critical if Langer’s charges are to have the same dynamic at this year’s World Cup and Ashes.

“This is just part of the process,” Langer said of the Dubai meetings. “What’s happened has happened.

“We have to keep moving forward. We’ve had lots of conversations with the boys ... we keep talking about the World Cup coming up.”

The visit will come while the ODI squad is enjoying a break from training. Smith and Warner’s returns have been carefully planned by Langer, Cricket Australia chief executive Kevin Roberts and interim team-performance boss Belinda Clark.

Langer has previously noted it would be unfair on the team plus Smith and Warner if they just returned to the fold without any plan.

Smith and Warner won’t hit the nets in Dubai.

Their first training session in the green and gold after copping life-changing suspensions will come during a World Cup training camp in Brisbane in early May, provided there no hiccups in India.

Allan Border Field will also be the scene of their returns for Australia, with Langer’s team set to face New Zealand in a couple of practice matches. Australia’s World Cup squad must be submitted by April 23, with Warner and Smith both fully expected to make the cut.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...562d8ec63f652d

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1807 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Suspended former leadership pair Steve Smith and David Warner have had their long-awaited meet-up with the Australia squad in Dubai, with both players suggesting the feeling upon their return was almost as if they never left.

As the national squad enjoyed some downtime in the Emirates following an historic ODI series win against India, and ahead of the upcoming five-match ODI series with Pakistan, Smith and Warner flew in for a number of meetings with players and coaching staff.

It is understood players had the opportunity to air any questions and issues with the pair, whose 12-month bans following the sandpaper scandal in South Africa are set to expire next week.

"It's been awesome," said Warner. "It's like we didn't really leave, the boys were very accepting of us coming in and with open arms.

"(There were) a lot of big hugs and cuddles. It's been great. It's good to see the spirit they're in after a great series win in India and I am obviously looking forward to watching them play against Pakistan here and hopefully they win that series as well."

Smith noted the positive energy in a group that last week tasted its first ODI series win since January 2017, becoming the first-ever Australian side to overturn a nil-two deficit to win a five-match one-day series.

Following the Cape Town scandal, Australian cricket also underwent an independent cultural review, one upshot being the aim towards a cultural shift in the men's national sides.

During the meetings, Smith and Warner were further brought up to speed with the revised landscape of the national set-up under limited-overs skipper Aaron Finch and coach Justin Langer, who took over following Darren Lehmann's resignation in South Africa last March.

"I guess it's just been going through the values that are instilled in the team at the moment and making sure we are on the right path looking forward to what's coming up; a huge World Cup and an Ashes series in England," Smith said.

"It's pretty exciting times ahead for the team and just making sure everyone's on the right path and heading in the same direction."

Warner echoed his former skipper's sentiment with regards to gaining an understanding of team values, pointing out the sizeable shift that has taken place in the pair's absence.

"Making sure that we are aligned with the team values moving forward," the opening batsman said with regard to the meetings.

"Obviously being out for 12 months there's been a big change, which is great, and it's about just accepting that and playing what our role in the team should be moving forward."

Coach Langer was typically warm in his acceptance of the returning pair, Australia's best two batsmen in recent years and key figures in the two major upcoming assignments in the UK.

"It's great to have them back in the team," the Western Australian said. "It's like two brothers coming home.

"They have been received really well, we had a good night together last night and had some great meetings today so it's been really positive.

"We set some values probably nine or 10 months ago with the team and then (in the meetings) we just had a look at how we are going with those values and how we can use our values and behaviours to keep moving the team forward on and off the field.

"We talked about making Australians proud. We talked about great cricketers and great people, so this is just a really good opportunity with this time between the Indian series and the Pakistan series just to reset where we are at and reassess where we are at and I think it's been a really worthwhile exercise.

"As a coach when you have got two guys with as many runs and experience as they've got coming back into a team that's playing well, that's very exciting."

The pair is now set to head to India for the upcoming Indian Premier League, which begins on March 24.

Warner returned from an elbow injury via Premier Cricket last week and is expected to feature in Sunrisers Hyderabad's first game, while Smith is further behind in his recovery from elbow surgery and as such, his return date with Rajasthan Royals remains unclear.

"I love playing in India," Smith added. "The IPL's a terrific tournament and the elbow is tracking really well.

"I've been batting for the last two weeks and (am) able to play all shots, got my power back, so I am tracking really well and I'm just excited to play again."

Australia's first ODI against Pakistan is on March 22 in Sharjah.

Qantas Tour of the UAE

First ODI: v Pakistan, March 22 in Sharjah

Second ODI: v Pakistan, March 24 in Sharjah

Third ODI: v Pakistan, March 27 in Abu Dhabi

Fourth ODI: v Pakistan, March 29 in Dubai

Fifth ODI: v Pakistan, March 31 in Dubai

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/stev...ipl/2019-03-17

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

'Smith, Warner have to prove themselves again' – Ricky Ponting

Ricky Ponting, the former captain who will take up a role as consultant for Australia at the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019, said that Steve Smith and David Warner will have to earn their places back in the side.

Until a month ago, Australia seemed like they desperately needed Smith and Warner back in the side to bolster their batting fortunes, and had gone over a year without winning a one-day international series.

However, recently, the likes of Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb and Ashton Turner proved their worth in the ODIs in India to win their side a come-from-behind 3-2 victory. They ensured there would be competition for places among the batsmen.

Warner and Smith, who complete their respective 12-month suspensions on March 29, are the undisputed best batsmen in the team. But with others doing well in their absence, the two will have to make their way back into the team on the weight of runs and not mere reputation.

"They still have to prove they are the best players, especially on the back of what has happened in the recent ODIs against India," Ponting said in an interview with the Times of India. "Those guys have not played any high-level cricket for a long time. IPL becomes really important for them."

Ponting said there was plenty of depth in the Australian side, and that after the triumph against India, the team should be considered as serious contenders for the World Cup.

"If it's Warner, Smith, Khawaja, (Aaron) Finch, (Glenn) Maxwell, Turner, (Adam) Zampa, (Mitchell) Starc, (Pat) Cummins and (Josh) Hazlewood ... it ends up being a pretty amazing line-up as well, with Nathan Lyon as the second spinner," said Ponting.

"There's great depth there. Two weeks ago, not many would have been talking about Australia as Cup contenders. Now, all of a sudden, they're right back in the calculations."

That said, Ponting thinks India have a good claim as favourites to win the coveted trophy, provided that Virat Kohli, their captain, has a good tournament.

"Virat's ODI record ... is unbelievable," he said. "That's why I feel India are a very dangerous side. If Virat has a good World Cup, India will win.

"His numbers show that he is the best. How old is he? Maybe 30, and he is going to play another 200 games. I don't think there will be many people who are going to argue against him being the best."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1108050

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    85 from 53 today from Warner.

Welcome back!

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    594 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    85 from 53 today from Warner.

Welcome back!
    It's T20.

If I was Aus selector I would think very carefully selecting them for the World Cup. The abuse these two will face from the crowds in England will be huge. Australia are playing well atm, these two returning could ruin it for them.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    It's T20.

If I was Aus selector I would think very carefully selecting them for the World Cup. The abuse these two will face from the crowds in England will be huge. Australia are playing well atm, these two returning could ruin it for them.
    So they will be used to it in time for the more important Ashes series.

Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    So they will be used to it in time for the more important Ashes series.
    What do you reckon mate? If the two hahe a good IPL would you take them to CWC.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    What do you reckon mate? If the two hahe a good IPL would you take them to CWC.
    Smith and Warner are clearly Australia's two best batsmen.

If they are fit they play.

And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Smith and Warner are clearly Australia's two best batsmen.

If they are fit they play.
    So they are going to the WC?

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    So they are going to the WC?
    If the selectors have any brains.

They need to be integrated in the team for the Ashes which means that they need to play in the World Cup.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the selectors have any brains.

They need to be integrated in the team for the Ashes which means that they need to play in the World Cup.
    I think both will play at the WC.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Aussie top 4:

Warner
    Finch
    Khwaja
    Smith

Can't write these guys off.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Aussie top 4:

Warner
    Finch
    Khwaja
    Smith

Can't write these guys off.
    Wow. I can see a World Cup win, right there.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Aussie batting is quality and filled with match winners. Players who will rise in a tense semi final or final and smash the living daylights of the opposition to seal the match.

Their bowling also will like to bowl in England.