Instagram


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 56 of 56
  1. #1
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    388
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is the current Pakistan Test side the worst ever in their history?

    I really think Pakistan batting lineup currently is worse than Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, England and India.

    I still rate our bowling highly as thats the only department keeping us relevant in Test Cricket. Yes bowling performance yesterday would have been disappointing but the reality is the pitch absolutely flattened out after the first session, which makes our batting looking even more miserable. Fifty from Sarfraz should have given us a hint. There was absolute no swing or lateral movement and only thing bowlers could do was bend their back and bang the bowl on the pitch hoping for a bit of lift off.

    We have absolute pathetic batting lineup and I think we are also over-hyping Babar who would soon be figured out (his recent dismissals have been disappointing). I dont see any hope in batting in future too.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    388
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any thoughts guys? Or are we waiting for a miracle turnaround in the second innings before we can start talking on this thread?

  3. #3
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    10,468
    Mentioned
    789 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Is this one of the weakest Pakistan Test side - ever?

    I've been watching cricket for nearly 20+ years now and in this time I have never felt so helpless with the state of our team than I am feeling at the moment.

    Zero Batsmen averaging 50+
    No Impact Bowler barring (Abbas), who is just returning from Injury.
    The Less Said about the Captain the Better.
    Dressing rooms leaks and other political panderings by both the players and media.

    How do we pick ourselves from here? Did we invest in the wrong players? Are we going in the same identical route as the West Indies Cricket?

    Discuss

  4. #4
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    9,897
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    I've been watching cricket for nearly 20+ years now and in this time I have never felt so helpless with the state of our team than I am feeling at the moment.

    Zero Batsmen averaging 50+
    No Impact Bowler barring (Abbas), who is just returning from Injury.
    The Less Said about the Captain the Better.
    Dressing rooms leaks and other political panderings by both the players and media.

    How do we pick ourselves from here? Did we invest in the wrong players? Are we going in the same identical route as the West Indies Cricket?

    Discuss
    Bowling is good but batting is the big issue. On a bat first pitch, if batsmen dont do their job, it becomes harder for bowlers really to pull things back.

    As Pakistan always had atleast one world class batsmen, Iny, Moyo, Yk, and now there is none, yes , it is one of the weakest IMO.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    9,897
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like to add that as Pakistan has very weak batting and SA had four solid pacers, Faf knew and backed his bowling to get Pakistan out cheaply, which might be the cause as to why he opted to bowl. Once bowlers do their job for SA, batsmen will make use of that as there is no pressure and can put up big total for SA, which will help. So, SA perhaps backed their strength in home conditions.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    3,552
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, SA pace attack is scary ,all guys averaging under 24.
    Actually Pakistani bowling talent is one of the better we had over last few years.UAE has really hurt Pak cricket badly.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    8,607
    Mentioned
    1857 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Probably the weakest Test batting in last 40 years.


    Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    30,412
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Definately the weakest team ever. Not a single legendary batsman in the team even by Pakistani standards, the likes of Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq just conned everyone by the number of test matches next to their name and nothing else.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    25,400
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes it is 1 of the weakest Pakistan teams. Our fans have no shame calling other teams weak. SA were called minnows on this forum yet they are beating us black and blue, and they beat Australia and India at home even with some key players injured.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    20,589
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Weakest SA,Aus and now Pakistan?

    I think Pakistan bowling is better than what it looked few years ago. Batting is weaker for sure.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  11. #11
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    14,100
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Only NZ look like they have one of their strongest teams ever.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  12. #12
    Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    5,255
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Bowling is without a doubt on of the better ones. Hassan, Abbas, Amir and rookie Shaheen are a big upgrade over some of the past bowling line-ups, especially recent past.

    Batting is without a doubt one of the weakest if not the weakest we have ever had. The seniors who were supposed to be the pillars of this batting line up average 44 and 38.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    1,078
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowling is good better than Anwar Ali ,Billawal times.Batting is at its weakest with retirements of Misyou.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    428
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan batting line up is better than that of West Indies & also Bangladesh

    It's their weakest I have seen since the one which played on Eng tour of 2010
    Last edited by RyanRyan10; 4th January 2019 at 12:16.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    12,494
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Itís a mixture of weak batting exacerbated by blind loyalty to an out-of-form skipper who should have been dropped.

    That blind loyalty has in turn meant that because Sarfraz canít currently bat at 6, the two all-rounders have been dropped and Yasir Shah is playing on surfaces where he should be unselectable.

    Itís no Golden Age, but even with Abbas and Haris injured, this team would have put South Afticaís own weak batting under pressure.

    1. Azhar Ali
    2. Shan Masood
    3. Asad Shafiq
    4. Babar Azam
    5. Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
    6. Umar Akmal
    7. Shadab Khan
    8. Faheem Ashraf
    9. Mohammad Amir
    10. Ehsan Adil
    11. Shaheen Shah Afridi

    My team bats down to Number 10.

    And because there are four quicks, they bowl shorter, faster spells.

    I think my team is a lot stronger than the real one!

  16. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    1,282
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    It’s a mixture of weak batting exacerbated by blind loyalty to an out-of-form skipper who should have been dropped.

    That blind loyalty has in turn meant that because Sarfraz can’t currently bat at 6, the two all-rounders have been dropped and Yasir Shah is playing on surfaces where he should be unselectable.

    It’s no Golden Age, but even with Abbas and Haris injured, this team would have put South Aftica’s own weak batting under pressure.

    1. Azhar Ali
    2. Shan Masood
    3. Asad Shafiq
    4. Babar Azam
    5. Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
    6. Umar Akmal
    7. Shadab Khan
    8. Faheem Ashraf
    9. Mohammad Amir
    10. Ehsan Adil
    11. Shaheen Shah Afridi

    My team bats down to Number 10.

    And because there are four quicks, they bowl shorter, faster spells.

    I think my team is a lot stronger than the real one!
    Ehsan Adil? Umar Akmal? Shafiq? You sir, are trolling. Please stop.

  17. #17
    Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    19,253
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only the worst ever if you are an amnesiac babby.

    We didn't win a test series for four years before Misbah was appointed captain.

    Lost away to Safrica.

    Lost in Pakistan to Safrica.

    Lost in India.

    0-0 against Sri Lanka in Pakistan. (2nd test abandoned after the attack on the Sri Lankan bus but they had scored 600 so that match was going to be a draw as well tbh)

    Lost in Sri Lanka.

    1-1 in New Zealand.

    Lost in Australia.

    1-1 against Australia in England.

    Lost in England.

    Doesn't matter if they had Inzi, Yousuf, Younis, Shoaib, Asif, indispensable Australian GOAT Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif etc. They didn't win a single series for four years so this current lot already has them beat.
    Last edited by Big Mac; 4th January 2019 at 14:47.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    1,534
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen, probably the closest as even lost to SL in the UAE never mind NZ. Mental midgets leading the batting and "pacers" launching 130k thunderbolts. Nothing to get excited about with this team.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    30,799
    Mentioned
    1029 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    We were worse in the 1960s and between 2009-2010.

    But this Test batting lineup is pretty bad yes, and isn't helped by the fact our selectors are so reluctant to blood new batsmen.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    338
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Itís a mixture of weak batting exacerbated by blind loyalty to an out-of-form skipper who should have been dropped.

    That blind loyalty has in turn meant that because Sarfraz canít currently bat at 6, the two all-rounders have been dropped and Yasir Shah is playing on surfaces where he should be unselectable.

    Itís no Golden Age, but even with Abbas and Haris injured, this team would have put South Afticaís own weak batting under pressure.

    1. Azhar Ali
    2. Shan Masood
    3. Asad Shafiq
    4. Babar Azam
    5. Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
    6. Umar Akmal
    7. Shadab Khan
    8. Faheem Ashraf
    9. Mohammad Amir
    10. Ehsan Adil
    11. Shaheen Shah Afridi

    My team bats down to Number 10.

    And because there are four quicks, they bowl shorter, faster spells.

    I think my team is a lot stronger than the real one!
    This is delusion. I am sad but I have to say, which ever team we play currently will be terrible to say the least.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    7,905
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't speak for teams before I started taking interest in the game. It is easily the worst I can remember with not one world class player in the side. No! I don't regard Amir, Yasir or Babar Azam as world class so don't start.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    5,316
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They are doing through a transitional phase, it happens to all team..1-2 years after their main stalwarts retire are pretty dire, eventually Babar Azam will step up and carry the mantle..

  23. #23
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    2,533
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well just remember as bad as it gets, can the batting match the achievement of that one team back in early 2000s that was out for 50 odd in both innings of a test match on a batting paradise in UAE against the Aussies. I always look at that scorecard when Pakistan cricket team have had a bad day, thinking it could be much worse

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    2,393
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    They are doing through a transitional phase, it happens to all team..1-2 years after their main stalwarts retire are pretty dire, eventually Babar Azam will step up and carry the mantle..
    After few years it will be time for current stalwarts, Azhar and Asad to retire and the team will go into another transition phase.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    5,316
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    After few years it will be time for current stalwarts, Azhar and Asad to retire and the team will go into another transition phase.
    The current stalwarts Asad and Azhar didn't have impact like misbah and Younis.. Ideally it should be Misbah/Younis taken over by Asad/Azhar take over by Babar/Shahzad/Umar however the failure of Asad/Azhar/Shehzad/Umar have been a major blow for Pakistan batting.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    18,845
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    After few years it will be time for current stalwarts, Azhar and Asad to retire and the team will go into another transition phase.
    It seems like the Pakistani ODI team have been forever in transition (since 2003 arguably), so it's only fair that the test team join them too.

    Who are we kidding, they have been in "transition" as well since Misbah and Younis retired.


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    1,353
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    They are doing through a transitional phase, it happens to all team..1-2 years after their main stalwarts retire are pretty dire, eventually Babar Azam will step up and carry the mantle..
    Pakistan have been in transition since 2003 world cup, just saying.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    24,586
    Mentioned
    1894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Thought itís the worst team of my memory which is almost covering 4 decades now, and led by the worst Test Captain, probably in PAKís history.

    @babajee - what do you think? Last time I believe we had a little disagreement regarding this.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    5,316
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul1 View Post
    Pakistan have been in transition since 2003 world cup, just saying.
    Not really their test team was pretty good till Misbah and Younis were around..
    Same thing happened with India but then Kohli and Pujara elevated themselves to level..
    Problem with Pakistan team is their Kohli and Pujara (Azhar and Shafique) turned out to be duds.. For ODI's they invested in Akmals and Shehzad who also turned out to be duds..

    Babar seems to be someone who can be their batting stalwart but only time will tell if he takes his game to next level or fails after couple of initial bright years like the above mentioned duds.

  30. #30
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    12,647
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent fight shown today

  31. #31
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    4,411
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    anyone who thinks this is the worst Pakistani Test team must not have watched cricket very long, or very closely...

    Things have been much much worse just in the last 18 years. We have a lot to work with right now

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    3,232
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Other teams have professionals doing their job and Pakistan are a bunch of amateurs pretending to be pros.

    There is a lot of work to be done if Pak want to be competitive again. Otherwise, only dark days ahead.

    With like of Ajmal, Misbah and YK we used to win in UAE at least. Just saying...

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    1,639
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The batting line-up is not great. Babar is solid and Shan has had a decent series. The rest need go ASAP. Bring in Saad Ali and Saud Shakeel, I know this might be an unpopular opinion but continue with Fakhar Zaman with Shan Masood. Make Babar No.3, followed by Haris Sohail and Saad Ali/Saud Shakeel. Bring in a Batting Allrounder like Aamir Yamin or Hammad Azam at No.6. Rizwan gets the gloves.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    1,083
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The bowling may not be perfect but better than a few years ago. The batting is really weak though. So probably not the worst overall.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    6,028
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No we are just a team in transition atm.
    In terms to of the top 6 teams, if you add up the caps of the playing squads, I am sure Pakistan will be the most inexperienced. So things will take a while to settle as guys get more and more experience. In the interim our 3 seniors needed to step up and they have actually been the worst of the bunch!!
    The guys that have started out and are between 5 and 20 matches will come good in time.
    The problem is that we want everything YESTERDAY!
    I for one am content with how the team is going ( barring the performances of Asad sarfaraz and Azhar)
    The others are naturally going to have ups and downs until they become established.


    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

  36. #36
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    6,028
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    anyone who thinks this is the worst Pakistani Test team must not have watched cricket very long, or very closely...

    Things have been much much worse just in the last 18 years. We have a lot to work with right now
    I agree with you 100%
    If u look at our defeats in last two years, 80% have been from winning positions. So a team in transition has been ahead in 7-8 games out if 10. In those situations our seniors should have seen the side home but they didn't.
    The other 8 players have played their parts and consistency only comes when u get the experience and know ur game after about 20-25 tests.


    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

  37. #37
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    163
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy what an over reaction. This not the worst side at all, the 2009-10 one was definitely worse.

    Our bowling is pretty good, better than before, but we need 2-3 new batsmen. IIRC Saad Ali/Said Shakeel average 48+ in FC, they should be blooded into the team . If Umar Akmal continues his performance in FC for one more season he can also do well as a Test batsmen.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    949
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, not a bad team but I think team camadarie is missing in this team. That's been a traditional problem with Pakistan but this team doesn't have a single outperformer who could become the leader and command respect through his performance.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    24,586
    Mentioned
    1894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Just for a clarification- why are we considering 2009-10 (there are several time frame mentioned by different posters here, I take Jan 2009 to Dec 2010 period) is considered as the worst period for PAK cricket in last 50 years?

    To my memory, in that time PAK played 9 Tests against world's No1 & No2 team (ENG, AUS) - all nine away away and won 2 Tests, should have won at SCG as well; tied 1-1 in NZ and drew 0-0 against a far better SAF in UAE. In ODI, they made SF of only ICC event that time & won a T20I WC, made another SF, won a series against AUS in ENG.

    In current context (not going to compare teams player by player separated by 10-12 years), current PAK team will lose 9-0 in those Tests though ENG & AUS are not 1-2 now (might win 1 Test in UK); lost a series in UAE to Kiwis - so I am not sure in 3 Tests, how many time Sarfrazís charges will make Kiwis bat twice in their land; and lost 2-0 to a SRL side which is skeleton of their team from 10 years back.

    In ODI, least said is better - after a 0-9 run against any team above No8, they have won one ODI against NZ and the expression in PP for that win actually tells about the expectations from this team. Left is T20I, against substandard squads, that too not against IND, ENG & SAF.

    Can anyone clarify which year or even month we are comparing from that 2008-2010 period against this dynamic team led by Sarfraz Ahmed????

  40. #40
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    6,771
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Thought it’s the worst team of my memory which is almost covering 4 decades now, and led by the worst Test Captain, probably in PAK’s history.

    @babajee - what do you think? Last time I believe we had a little disagreement regarding this.
    Sorry just saw this.

    I agree more or less.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    6,055
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol no way near worst. lmao


    Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

  42. #42
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    6,055
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This team has competed better than he one which toured SA last time.

    Its more of a mental issues where they have lost matches from winning position mainly due to batting and senior batsmen who are way below par.


    Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

  43. #43
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    6,771
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Lol no way near worst. lmao
    The problem is Azhar and Asad

  44. #44
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    6,055
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    The problem is Azhar and Asad
    Yeah but 2 players dont make it worst.

    Lets not get emotional here. : )


    Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

  45. #45
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    6,771
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Yeah but 2 players dont make it worst.

    Lets not get emotional here. : )
    Do you think Sarfi should carry on as skipper?

  46. #46
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    6,055
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Do you think Sarfi should carry on as skipper?
    No.

    This should be his last series as test captain for a while.

    Maybe later he can come back if he can take the burden of captaincy in all 3 formats with performance but now he needs a break. Havent produced the result and has been poor with the bat after captaincy. He is one of our few match winner unlike 2 senior batsmen so i rather want him back to batting best that can win Pakistan matches.


    Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

  47. #47
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    24,586
    Mentioned
    1894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Yeah but 2 players dont make it worst.

    Lets not get emotional here. : )
    1970-71, SAF was banned from cricket & their tour to Australia was cancelled, replaced by a World XI tour, which was led by Sir Gary & 3 PAK players made the 16 (2 Indians) - Zaheer, Intekhab, Asif Masood.

    7 years later, Kerry Packer made 3 teams for his World Series - Australia, West Indies & Rest of the World, which had 5 PAK players - Imran, Zaheer, Mazid, Asif & Javed.

    10 years later, MCC arranged a 5 Day FC game between best of County players vs Rest of the World to celebrate Bicentenary of Lordís ground - 4 PAK players played in that game - Imran, Wasim, Javed & Qadir. A 5th one was in squad - Salim Malik.

    15 years later, Australia played a 6 day Test against RotW - 2 PAK players played in XI - Inzamam & Shoaib (who missed for injury), and MoYo made the squad of 14 ....

    Today, if you arrange a series between Worldís best 24 players; only 1 PAK player will make the list, that too for UAE only - Yasir Shah. Hope it opens some eyes.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    396
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reallly??

    You're telling me this is worse this this side? Overreaction to say the least.

    http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/6...irates-2002-03

    Baring Younis Khan, who was still only 2/3 years into his career, there were no world class batsemen or batsmen with many years of Test matches under their belt - against arguably the best Test side ever! And people talk about "oh we weren't competitive", when this is the benchmark for absolute lack of spine and courage.

    Perspective please!

  49. #49
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    21,077
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Results wise no.
    Individual numbers of players wise.....maybe, in the batting.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    24,586
    Mentioned
    1894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Khan View Post
    Reallly??

    You're telling me this is worse this this side? Overreaction to say the least.

    http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/6...irates-2002-03

    Baring Younis Khan, who was still only 2/3 years into his career, there were no world class batsemen or batsmen with many years of Test matches under their belt - against arguably the best Test side ever! And people talk about "oh we weren't competitive", when this is the benchmark for absolute lack of spine and courage.

    Perspective please!
    I think yes. That was an ATG Australia side that got inexperienced PAK side under a poor Captain. Even if I don't go by career achievements (comparing players at their peak), if I compare 11 vs 11 of that series & this series - that PAK side'll be much better.

    Nazir vs Fakhar/Imam
    Taufique vs Shan
    YK vs Azhar
    Misbah vs Asad
    Faisal vs Babar
    Latif vs Sarfraz
    Saqlain vs Shadab
    A Razzak vs Fahim
    Waquar vs Amir
    Shoaib vs Hasan
    Danish vs Abbas

  51. #51
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    30,799
    Mentioned
    1029 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Just for a clarification- why are we considering 2009-10 (there are several time frame mentioned by different posters here, I take Jan 2009 to Dec 2010 period) is considered as the worst period for PAK cricket in last 50 years?

    To my memory, in that time PAK played 9 Tests against world's No1 & No2 team (ENG, AUS) - all nine away away and won 2 Tests, should have won at SCG as well; tied 1-1 in NZ and drew 0-0 against a far better SAF in UAE. In ODI, they made SF of only ICC event that time & won a T20I WC, made another SF, won a series against AUS in ENG.

    In current context (not going to compare teams player by player separated by 10-12 years), current PAK team will lose 9-0 in those Tests though ENG & AUS are not 1-2 now (might win 1 Test in UK); lost a series in UAE to Kiwis - so I am not sure in 3 Tests, how many time Sarfraz’s charges will make Kiwis bat twice in their land; and lost 2-0 to a SRL side which is skeleton of their team from 10 years back.

    In ODI, least said is better - after a 0-9 run against any team above No8, they have won one ODI against NZ and the expression in PP for that win actually tells about the expectations from this team. Left is T20I, against substandard squads, that too not against IND, ENG & SAF.

    Can anyone clarify which year or even month we are comparing from that 2008-2010 period against this dynamic team led by Sarfraz Ahmed????
    In summer of 2010 our totals read 148, 289, 258, 180/7, 182, 80, 72, 296, 308, 148/6, 74 and 147.

    In First Test v England our XI read: Farhat, Butt, rookie Azhar, Amin, U Akmal, Malik, Kamran, Amir, Gul, Kaneria, Asif.

    Current team has many problems, but even our recent A team walks all over that 2010 batting lineup.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    24,586
    Mentioned
    1894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    In summer of 2010 our totals read 148, 289, 258, 180/7, 182, 80, 72, 296, 308, 148/6, 74 and 147.

    In First Test v England our XI read: Farhat, Butt, rookie Azhar, Amin, U Akmal, Malik, Kamran, Amir, Gul, Kaneria, Asif.

    Current team has many problems, but even our recent A team walks all over that 2010 batting lineup.
    But, this team won't win a single Test of No. 1 & No. 2 Team at their strongest condition. In Amir & Asif, they had 2 genuine world class match winner, and Danish was far better leggi outside Asia - not to mention as Test Captain, Butt will keep Sarfraz in one pocket, and might forget later which pocket it is.

    They were blown away by the best team in world that time (ENG) in their home, who beat IND also 4-0 next year batting 5/6 times; but in between when got their chance that PAK team did beat ENG and AUS, got AUS all-out for 88 as well. Also, that last Test at Lord's should have been erased from record book. This team is losing to SRL & NZ 4-1 in UAE ... come on - in any other era, even in 1950s, PAK Captain would have stepped down in shame after NZ series, if not the SRL series; here he is on his glorious way to lead PAK in WC, as there is no replacement!!!!!!! - this tells lot better about standards & expectations.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    163
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    But, this team won't win a single Test of No. 1 & No. 2 Team at their strongest condition. In Amir & Asif, they had 2 genuine world class match winner, and Danish was far better leggi outside Asia - not to mention as Test Captain, Butt will keep Sarfraz in one pocket, and might forget later which pocket it is.

    They were blown away by the best team in world that time (ENG) in their home, who beat IND also 4-0 next year batting 5/6 times; but in between when got their chance that PAK team did beat ENG and AUS, got AUS all-out for 88 as well. Also, that last Test at Lord's should have been erased from record book. This team is losing to SRL & NZ 4-1 in UAE ... come on - in any other era, even in 1950s, PAK Captain would have stepped down in shame after NZ series, if not the SRL series; here he is on his glorious way to lead PAK in WC, as there is no replacement!!!!!!! - this tells lot better about standards & expectations.
    For sure it's quite terrible. I think it's on par with the 09/10 side. (maybe slightly better.) I do agree, this is all unacceptable though. I think PCB doesn't want any drama before the WC. I think huge changes will be made after WC though, and for the better. We have a more sensible board now, with Mani and Wasim Khan coming in.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    11,492
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    See a thread of the same name pop up every time you see 3-0, 2-0 or 4-0 was delivered to Pakistan.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    2,881
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    , Amir, Gul, Kaneria, Asif.

    Current team has many problems, but even our recent A team walks all over that 2010 batting lineup.
    That bowling attack in those conditions was amazing.

    Pre Ban Amir, peak Asif, peak Gul and Kaneria was more than decent

  56. #56
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    24,586
    Mentioned
    1894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    In 2010 & around; PAKís Test squad would have 8 bowlers - Asif, Amir, Gul, Wahab, Sami & 3 spinners - Dani, Ajmal, Rehman.

    They would have beaten Sarfrazís PAK 6-0 or at worst 5-1- in UAE or UK under YK or Butt; no matter who is batting for them. In UK or SAF it would have been a treat to watch Asif-Amirís first 16 overs ....... followed by duel spin attack by Ajmal-Rehman in UAE.

    Also that batting looked poor because in a wet summer they had to face Anderson, Broad, Finn & Swan at their pick. Based on this guy Olivieraís heroics, I can imagine what Jimmi, Berbi & Finn could have done to this batting unit. They won a Test in NZ, then a series in NZ (early 2011) and made AUS closest to defeat at home in 23 years!!!! This team has lost series at home to post 2015 SRL without Anjelo & then to NZ..... FGS.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •