Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Pakistan suffering from the curse of left-hander pacers & barely any quality right-arm fast-bowlers

Where are the right arm pace bowlers? If Pakistan should have learnt one lesson in last few years it is that left arm pacers should be just used to add variety to the pace attack which should mainly constitute of right arm pacers.

In my opinion, right arm pacers have a much better chance of picking up wickets especially when the ball isnt swinging or seaming. India, Australia, South Africa, Newzealand, England, etc all have pace batteries full of Right arm pacers and one odd left armer for variety. While Pakistan is hell bent on picking left handed pacers who have been thouroughly disappointing for many years now. Even from Pakistan Abbas and Hasan ali have been the most successful fast bowlers in last couple of years.

So why this obsession with picking only left armers? If you tell me that they are picking the best bowlers irrespective of the bowling arm, then thats nonsense as far as strategy is concerned. Most batsmen are right handed and they will be more troubled by right arm pacers. These left armers are no Wasim Akrams to begin with and quality batsmen can negotiate them if the ball isnt swinging in to the Right handed batsman.

In my opinion Pakistan should not play more than 1 left arm pacer in the side. Find quality right arm pacers and you will see a marked difference in ability to pick up wickets.

when tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, right arm pacers have a much better chance of picking up wickets especially when the ball isnt swinging or seaming.

Most batsmen are right handed and they will be more troubled by right arm pacers.
    Genuinely curious to know why you think so.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    The angle is better suited for getting all kinds of dismissals even when the ball stops swinging or seaming. Whereas if the ball isnt swinging, left armers rely mostly on the angle across the right hander to get an outside edge and its rare for them to get an Lbw or bowled.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    The angle is better suited for getting all kinds of dismissals even when the ball stops swinging or seaming. Whereas if the ball isnt swinging, left armers rely mostly on the angle across the right hander to get an outside edge and its rare for them to get an Lbw or bowled.
    Makes sense. Amir tried bowling round the wicket some time back. But yeah, more like stop gap.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Another reason why i said that is personal observation over the years. I dont know the stats though.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lefties have this magic incoming ball that takes out most top quality right handers. There are very few as a matter of fact who can get the ball into RHB these days, ( Boult is the only one I can think of right away, Stac is struggling as he has lost his swing). This was Amir's novelyt when he first came and the same is expected of Shaheen. Its all in hope that these guys will swing it more than anything else.

If he bowls with a full sleeve and is an off-spinner, rest assured he chucks. Amen

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the right arm pace bowlers? If Pakistan should have learnt one lesson in last few years it is that left arm pacers should be just used to add variety to the pace attack which should mainly constitute of right arm pacers.

In my opinion, right arm pacers have a much better chance of picking up wickets especially when the ball isnt swinging or seaming. India, Australia, South Africa, Newzealand, England, etc all have pace batteries full of Right arm pacers and one odd left armer for variety. While Pakistan is hell bent on picking left handed pacers who have been thouroughly disappointing for many years now. Even from Pakistan Abbas and Hasan ali have been the most successful fast bowlers in last couple of years.

So why this obsession with picking only left armers? If you tell me that they are picking the best bowlers irrespective of the bowling arm, then thats nonsense as far as strategy is concerned. Most batsmen are right handed and they will be more troubled by right arm pacers. These left armers are no Wasim Akrams to begin with and quality batsmen can negotiate them if the ball isnt swinging in to the Right handed batsman.

In my opinion Pakistan should not play more than 1 left arm pacer in the side. Find quality right arm pacers and you will see a marked difference in ability to pick up wickets.
    Hasan Ali is quality and it was absolutely foolish to drop him for someone as innocuous as Abbas. Bowling in the early 120s never helped nobody. Hasan has looked most threatening in the series so far.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Makes sense. Amir tried bowling round the wicket some time back. But yeah, more like stop gap.
    Yes. Its not a natural angle for left armers. They have to adjust a lot And For a left armer to bowl round the wicket and be effective, he needs to have pace. Pakistani left arm pacers have not shown that either.

Pakistan must select right arm pace bowlers and pick maybe 1 left armer for variety.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite interesting observation, till now we have only one left handed bowler, legendary Wasim Akram, in the list of most successful fast bowlers of all time rest all are right handers. Imran, waqar, Aaqib, Shoaib, Shabbir(pre-ban), Umar Gul(to some extent), Sami(not successful but highly talented), Asif, and now Abas.

So, selectors should keep this point in mind while selecting squads.
    Last edited by ShahidDar08; 4th January 2019 at 18:27.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmaverik84 View Post
    Lefties have this magic incoming ball that takes out most top quality right handers. There are very few as a matter of fact who can get the ball into RHB these days, ( Boult is the only one I can think of right away, Stac is struggling as he has lost his swing). This was Amir's novelyt when he first came and the same is expected of Shaheen. Its all in hope that these guys will swing it more than anything else.
    The other teams have quality batsmen and more often than not they will negotiate the new ball swing of left armers. Now, given the fact that most teams have more right handed batsmen, its the right armer pace bowlers who have the best chance of troubling them after the new ball becomes old. Left armers are for variety only.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Hasan Ali is quality and it was absolutely foolish to drop him for someone as innocuous as Abbas. Bowling in the early 120s never helped nobody. Hasan has looked most threatening in the series so far.
    I would have dropped Amir and Yasir to play Hasan and Faheem to he honest.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have dropped Amir and Yasir to play Hasan and Faheem to he honest.
    Amir took a 4fer in the previous match so it would've been hard to drop him but dropping Hasan and not playing Fahim was the biggest mistake our batters are useless anyway, I'd have played the 4 fast bowlers and Fahim.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    690 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    121 kph by Abbas.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Amir took a 4fer in the previous match so it would've been hard to drop him but dropping Hasan and not playing Fahim was the biggest mistake our batters are useless anyway, I'd have played the 4 fast bowlers and Fahim.
    Actually forgot that Amir picked a 4fer last game you are right that he would have been hard to drop. At least Faheem should have played in place of yasir. This strategy of picking more than 1 left armer is flawed. No quality team is following it.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakistans deadly bowling attack turned into mediocre trundlers

Heres my explaination to why our current crop of bowlers are bowling as the likes of ashok dinda rather than Waqar Younis.

Firstly our pathetic batting lineup, which is as I earlier called- the second worst batting lineup after Zimbawe, couldn't cash in on completely flattened pitch and fell to the short bowl trap. Taking nothing away from South African bowlers who bowled brilliantly but tbh it wasn't the most ferocious of bowling attacks out there. Thanks to our legendary batting.

Now with absolutely nothin to bowl at and a pitch that requires lot of hard work to get a lift off, how much do you expect from our bowlers? Yes they have bowled below potential but that was because they have no hope. It is better for them to save their energy and body from injuries than wasting it on bowling at high speed and bumping it onto to the pitch just for our jokers (batsmen) to come in and collapse like bunch of low lives.

So I repeat, we shouldn't be going so harsh on our bowling attack which is the only department of cricket (other than batting and fielding) where we are actually good and can give tough competition. Basically, need lot of investment in our team management who can learn to properly groom upcoming batsmen and get them ready mentally for international cricket.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShahidDar08 View Post
    Quite interesting observation, till now we have only one left handed bowler, legendary Wasim Akram, in the list of most successful fast bowlers of all time rest all are right handers. Imran, waqar, Aaqib, Shoaib, Shabbir(pre-ban), Umar Gul(to some extent), Sami(not successful but highly talented), Asif, and now Abas.

So, selectors should keep this point in mind while selecting squads.
    Not just Pakistan, look at the history of cricket globally and tell me how many times have you seen teams playing 2 or 3 left arm fast bowlers in the playing XI consistently for many years. Its rare. But Pakistan has been doing it since many years now. Pakistan used to play 2 or even 3 of Amir, Wahab, Rahat, junaid etc. in tests and ODIs before emergence of Hasan and Abbas. And now Shaheen is also there.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's (lack of pace) really the elephant in the room as far as the bowling department is concerned. And I had one poster arguing unnecessarily that Abbas would be as effective in Australia with his avg. 125-126kph. Some pitches require pace, well at least a bare minimum pace. Mid-120s doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by BreadPakoda; 4th January 2019 at 18:50.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not just Pakistan, look at the history of cricket globally and tell me how many times have you seen teams playing 2 or 3 left arm fast bowlers in the playing XI consistently for many years. Its rare. But Pakistan has been doing it since many years now. Pakistan used to play 2 or even 3 of Amir, Wahab, Rahat, junaid etc. in tests and ODIs before emergence of Hasan and Abbas. And now Shaheen is also there.
    Before Pakistan it was India having 3-4 left arm fast bowlers in the squad - Zaheer, Pathan, RP Singh, Nehra etc, and the situation was same like Pakistan. But they some how got rid of them and the difference is in front of us all.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShahidDar08 View Post
    Before Pakistan it was India having 3-4 left arm fast bowlers in the squad - Zaheer, Pathan, RP Singh, Nehra etc, and the situation was same like Pakistan. But they some how got rid of them and the difference is in front of us all.
    Well said. So many low quality left armers were holding Indian team back since early 2000s even with their money and infrastructure. For the 100th time, left arm pacers are only for variety and that too only when they are good in quality.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Bump.

3 right arms pacers playing today. Not the highest quality of pacers by any means but result is in front of you.

I repeat : LEFT armers are for variety. Dont play more than 1.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bump.

3 right arms pacers playing today. Not the highest quality of pacers by any means but result is in front of you.

I repeat : LEFT armers are for variety. Dont play more than 1.
    I agree. This is true for Test cricket, but in LOIs, where the batsman are going after the bowlers, it doesn't really matter.