Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Pakistan is blessed with batting talent in Tests!

In my opinion we are going to be a top 4 side in tests very shortly.

So many batsmen in the wings in test cricket who are destined to break into ICC Top 20 rankings:

1) Haris Sohail
    2) Babar Azam
    3) Usman Salahuddin
    4) Saad Ali
    5) Fakhar Zaman

We are truly blessed with batsmen. Give them a long rope and watch these guys grow into test cricket superstars

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hyperbole galore. Pakistan is going the SL way in one thread and Pakistan is blessed in another.

Pakistan is just unpredictable.

On topic....You've not had test "batting superstars" for years, and here we have you claiming Saad Ali (no one outside Pakistan even knows him) is the next superstar.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Hyperbole galore. Pakistan is going the SL way in one thread and Pakistan is blessed in another.

Pakistan is just unpredictable.

On topic....You've not had test "batting superstars" for years, and here we have you claiming Saad Ali (no one outside Pakistan even knows him) is the next superstar.
    Give these guys a long rope and they will deliver.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think there are a lot of positives in the batting, these young players have a lot of talent and a good technique. What they need is to have a couple of hundreds under their belt.

Sure we lost to Lanka in the UAE but the team was in transition. Which ever teams come to the UAE in the next few years will be taken apart esp now we have a good balanced bowling line up with 3 pacers and 2 leggies.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm of the unpopular opinion that Asad Shafiq is Pakistan's best Test bat. Yes, he just had a poor match, but so did everyone else. Has performed all around the world at #6 and now needs to get a chance at #3.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to first find bowlers who have the stamina to bowl longer spells.None of your bowlers hit even 145 kph in this series which will haunt you while playing in other countries where you dont get much swing like England.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolfy View Post
    You need to first find bowlers who have the stamina to bowl longer spells.None of your bowlers hit even 145 kph in this series which will haunt you while playing in other countries where you dont get much swing like England.
    Avg speed in this test,

Amir - 133 KPH
    Abbas - 127 KPH
    Ali - 133 KPH
    Fahim - 130 KPH

You many be right in general, but Ali did bowl few balls in 141 KPH. So one bowler did cross 140 mark. Others never crossed 140 KPH in this match, but in Eng you don't need to bend your back that much.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh, I see you mentioned 145 KPH. That's too high. You are getting into 90 MPH.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Oh, I see you mentioned 145 KPH. That's too high. You are getting into 90 MPH.
    No. Even an unfit Shami was hitting that bowling against SL in India.150 is high not 145.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the laugh.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    No. Even an unfit Shami was hitting that bowling against SL in India.150 is high not 145.
    Wahab could have hit 150 but he would have done a worse job.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has some of the most talent in their side currently right now. Usually it's just hype, but this time it's real. Question remains whether we can fufill it, yes CT was great, but we're still a mid/mid-low side currently.

Shadab, Amir, Haris, Babar are all examples of extreme talent whether or not they achieve great heights or not (Amir and Haris probably won't). Most teams only have one or two of that sort of talent in their team at a time. Then you have examples of those perhaps less talented in Fakhar and Hasan but that hasn't stopped them from dominating in LOI.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Wahab could have hit 150 but he would have done a worse job.
    Shami was hitting 145 and taking wickets.So was Bumrah in SA.You need bowlers who can do both.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    I think there are a lot of positives in the batting, these young players have a lot of talent and a good technique. What they need is to have a couple of hundreds under their belt.
    And where will they purchase those hundreds?

Some talent shop?

What happened. Were those talent shops closed this weekend

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Shami was hitting 145 and taking wickets.So was Bumrah in SA.You need bowlers who can do both.
    We need batsmen who can score hundreds more. Perfectly happy with the bowling resources to be honest, if we could have score 250 in the first innings of this test, it would have been a much closer game. That would have put at least some pressure on England, as it was 170 was an easy target and they got the momentum.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good post, unlucky that we lost Babar who looked the best batsman in last match from both sides. Usman's technically excellent defensively but need to show more intent. Haris too but has 1 slight weakness when playing away from the body. Thats three quality youngsters who should be worked with. Fakhar, Saad, Saud in the bench. Take positives, har waqt ka rona dhona acha nahi but if your are trolling then i cant say much.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and I see so much crying that why cant we convert starts to bhayyun can you tell me which English batsman scored 100s in this series despite playing n their own conditions and some even after 40+ test matches? Even Buttler their highest scorer had 2 drop catches.

Our young lot has done well and they will be even better with time.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1922 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah this "batting talent" sure showed up in this test.

Haris Sohail is 30/40 run player. Babar can be good but he hasn't done much in FC and there is nothing to suggest he would translate his LOI success into tests. Salahuddin is a limited, timid player who although might be useful but these kinds of players never win you matches. Jury still out on Saad Ali and you are rating him based on whim rather than substance. Fakhar is too "loose" for test cricket otherwise Mickey would have played him at available opportunity.

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chaiwala

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golden Era boys

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have some talanted batsmen but our domestic system doesn't allow them to flourish. So we are reliant on them learning in international cricket. We have no choice to be patient with the new batsmen but the experience ones need a kick up the backside.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Yeah this "batting talent" sure showed up in this test.

Haris Sohail is 30/40 run player. Babar can be good but he hasn't done much in FC and there is nothing to suggest he would translate his LOI success into tests. Salahuddin is a limited, timid player who although might be useful but these kinds of players never win you matches. Jury still out on Saad Ali and you are rating him based on whim rather than substance. Fakhar is too "loose" for test cricket otherwise Mickey would have played him at available opportunity.
    They certainly outperformed the ďexperiencedĒ members in the team.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love me some @babajee but this is a little too optimistic.

Salahuddin hasnít looked all assured at the crease and in all honesty, Fakhar would have been a better option coming in at #5.

Furthermore, I do believe that that Top 5 has potential but you have two players nearing 30. If everything goes to plan (hopefully), we have 4-5 years of good batting.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    I love me some @babajee but this is a little too optimistic.

Salahuddin hasnít looked all assured at the crease and in all honesty, Fakhar would have been a better option coming in at #5.

Furthermore, I do believe that that Top 5 has potential but you have two players nearing 30. If everything goes to plan (hopefully), we have 4-5 years of good batting.
    He made his debut in foreign conditions with wickets falling around him - the worst possible scenario. Yes he seemed a bit timid but itís understandable.

Idk about you but I was impressed by his defensive technique and grit. Good batsman for #5.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Once Azhar and Asad are gone I want to see a top 6 like this:

Fakhar
    Imam
    Haris
    Babar
    Usman
    Saad

Give these guys a long run and they will come good. Let them learn on the job.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Which team is not blessed if you think Pakistan is blessed?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Once Azhar and Asad are gone I want to see a top 6 like this:

Fakhar
    Imam
    Haris
    Babar
    Usman
    Saad

Give these guys a long run and they will come good. Let them learn on the job.
    Youíre supposed to be ready to perform at Test cricket level.

Not learn on the job.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not impressed with Usman Salahuddin. Game phasanay wala player hai. We don't need Azhar 2.0 in the test team.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Youíre supposed to be ready to perform at Test cricket level.

Not learn on the job.
    Playing domestic cricket wonít help these guys.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He made his debut in foreign conditions with wickets falling around him - the worst possible scenario. Yes he seemed a bit timid but itís understandable.

Idk about you but I was impressed by his defensive technique and grit. Good batsman for #5.
    He has a great defense which is why he was able to last a 100 balls.

But it is not as if the ball was swinging corners. It was a combination of poor shot selection and mental pressure that led to us collapsing once again in the second innings.

If we judge a player only on defense and grit than Dizzy was an ATG.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re supposed to be ready to perform at Test cricket level.

Not learn on the job.
    What do you think Pakistan has an Australia like First Class system?

Pakistan cricket will always be about learning on the job, until the domestic system is improved (probably never).

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Not impressed with Usman Salahuddin. Game phasanay wala player hai. We don't need Azhar 2.0 in the test team.
    Nothing wrong with an Azhar Ali type player in a team especially like Pakistan as long as he is performing and scoring runs.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing domestic cricket wonít help these guys.
    I think the pitches should be made FLAT once again.

Itíll encourage bowlers to increase pace, bend back, get reverse swing while allowing the batsmen to remove that crouch, play on the front foot, score big runs and play long innings and play strokes.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with an Azhar Ali type player in a team especially like Pakistan as long as he is performing and scoring runs.
    I'm all for giving consistent chances, but didn't like what I saw. Might aswell bring in Fawad Alam if you want to play such a player in the line-up. Atleast you get someone who plays spin really well.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackanhyellow View Post
    What do you think Pakistan has an Australia like First Class system?

Pakistan cricket will always be about learning on the job, until the domestic system is improved (probably never).
    Mate, Bob Simpson told the boys at the ACA in 1990 that if they didnít score 350-400 in one day, they could pack their bags and leave. (Words of Ricky Ponting)

1990!

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think the pitches should be made FLAT once again.

Itíll encourage bowlers to increase pace, bend back, get reverse swing while allowing the batsmen to remove that crouch, play on the front foot, score big runs and play long innings and play strokes.
    I agree. Donít know if it will happen though

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with op . I would put imam in there as well.
    Most of these guys have played a handful of games only.
    Need 10 - 15 games as a unit.
    Bowling is absolutely fine

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, Bob Simpson told the boys at the ACA in 1990 that if they didn’t score 350-400 in one day, they could pack their bags and leave. (Words of Ricky Ponting)

1990!
    You tell that to teams in Pakistani domestic structure, everyone will pack their bags and leave.

There is a difference in standard between Pak domestic cricket and Australian.This difference is in everything from the wages to the standard of cricket balls, umpiring, pitches, facilities, coaching staff, etc...

It doesnt have to do with Aussies being more talented, its more to do with incompetence in the management, organization, and frankly compentence levels of the PCB employees.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackanhyellow View Post
    You tell that to teams in Pakistani domestic structure, everyone will pack their bags and leave.

There is a difference in standard between Pak domestic cricket and Australian.This difference is in everything from the wages to the standard of cricket balls, umpiring, pitches, facilities, coaching staff, etc...

It doesnt have to do with Aussies being more talented, its more to do with incompetence in the management, organization, and frankly compentence levels of the PCB employees.
    The story of Pakistan cricket is the story of Pakistan and itís followers.

Thatís why I made that SL thread despite knowing I would get heat for it. Pakistani seniors should have at least shown fight but they are too comfortable in their roles and no one will bat an eye.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHAT?

Your opinion is based on what?

Fakhar and Saad are uncapped?
    Usman played 1 Test and scored a total of 37?
    Babar averages 28 in 14 Tests?
    Haris in mid 30s after 5 Tests and only 2 50s against SL in UAE?

Pffft. It's annoying when people prefer to be blinded by facts.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 4th June 2018 at 05:08.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Struggles on the leg-side?

Watched plenty of both tests - do our batsmen have a problem with dispatching balls on the pads?

Not expecting peak Cook but we often miss out on easy runs - worse still get strangled...

SOUND the ALAM!

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In your list only babar azam looks good, and yet his average is poor

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    And where will they purchase those hundreds?

Some talent shop?

What happened. Were those talent shops closed this weekend
    Those hundreds will be purchased with time and patience.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Vancouver, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridiculously optimistic. Haris is the only one who's shown that he really belongs in Tests of that group. This was Babar's big chance to rewrite his terrible Test record, but that injury put paid to what could've transpired. If anything Shadab has looked the best batting talent out there, which says a lot.

I've mentioned this before but this has to be the leanest period for batting talent that the world has seen for a long time. England have no upcoming young gun batsman, the closest Australia do is Khawaja (who's hopeless when the ball spins), there's only Markram from SA that I can think of. India is probably the exception, but they've also got a lot to prove.

Bowling on the other hand, especially spin, seems to be thriving weirdly enough. Guess T20 mighthave pulled down the standards of batsmanship in Tests atleast (thought admittedly Buttler delivered)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not impressed with the lad Usman. Don't have a modern cricket mindset to prosper

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CadPakFan View Post
    Those hundreds will be purchased with time and patience.
    There is something so sincere about this post that I feel compelled to say

All the best

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishta Aunty View Post
    Ridiculously optimistic. Haris is the only one who's shown that he really belongs in Tests of that group. This was Babar's big chance to rewrite his terrible Test record, but that injury put paid to what could've transpired. If anything Shadab has looked the best batting talent out there, which says a lot.

I've mentioned this before but this has to be the leanest period for batting talent that the world has seen for a long time. England have no upcoming young gun batsman, the closest Australia do is Khawaja (who's hopeless when the ball spins), there's only Markram from SA that I can think of. India is probably the exception, but they've also got a lot to prove.

Bowling on the other hand, especially spin, seems to be thriving weirdly enough. Guess T20 mighthave pulled down the standards of batsmanship in Tests atleast (thought admittedly Buttler delivered)
    Bhai, Khwaja is 31.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So both Babar and Haris have proven their worth in tests. Fakhar has shown how he can be a game changer in the UAE.

There is talent but it needs to be backed.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also forgot to add Shan Masood and the clear technical improvements he has made to his game!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be cautious.Time and again we have heard X,y,z player is waiting in the wings and is super talented just to get our hopes crushed.Recent example is Farhan Sahibzada.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If PCB and selection panel had their way, the most blessed batting talent of all would have been opening v South Africa on this tour and Shan Masood who has looked the best Pakistani batsman on this tour, would not have been in the squad. Don't forget they recalled Hafeez into the test team, specifically knowing that an important tour to SA was coming up -- it's only Hafeez's kind heartedness to Pakistan fans that he retired, or else there would be at least 10 out of the Top 20 threads on PakPassion discussing the heroics of Hafeez in SA

"Lack of Form is Temporary, Lack of Class is Permanent" -- dedicated to The Honorable Professor.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We have really missed Haris in SA.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullycricket View Post
    I would be cautious.Time and again we have heard X,y,z player is waiting in the wings and is super talented just to get our hopes crushed.Recent example is Farhan Sahibzada.
    No one hyped him up as some legendary talent, he just appeared to be a young aggressive opener who was topping the charts in List A so people got a bit excited. Didn't look too bad from some clips as well.

When he got his chance, he got it in T20s in the UAE. Not the place for a aggressive player (hack if you want to call him that) to debut. T20 wasn't the format where he was prolific anyway.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm down. Remember India almost chased down at last test in Oval with Rahul and Pant getting huge centuries. But scoring in these dead rubbers don't mean much. If they had so much talent why didnt they show it when the series was alive?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Precisely - have no idea why quite a fair few rate him on here.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Calm down. Remember India almost chased down at last test in Oval with Rahul and Pant getting huge centuries. But scoring in these dead rubbers don't mean much. If they had so much talent why didnt they show it when the series was alive?
    This thread was made last June and isn't based on this performance but anyways, Pant is a great talent.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Precisely - have no idea why quite a fair few rate him on here.
    Solid defence, decent range of shots and clearly has the temperament to play long innings.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Solid defence, decent range of shots and clearly has the temperament to play long innings.
    Defence and temperament yes but range of shots? No - otherwise he wouldn't be so sedate with the bat.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Defence and temperament yes but range of shots? No - otherwise he wouldn't be so sedate with the bat.
    Drives, flicks, cuts, hooks and pulls. He's just conservative.