Instagram



Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 136
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Indians who want to be like Westerners?

    I find it interesting some Indians like to behave as westerners.

    We have people changing their names from Gurpreet to Gary, Balwinder to Barry. I know of many in the UK who have changed their names to western sounding names due to feeling embarrased. We also have Nikki and Bobby in the US. Even when I call call centres in India, I get answered with Lucy, when I asked what is your real name, she replied Lucy.

    This is also interesting some are learning to eat like westerners too.

    Indians flock to learn secrets of western dining and grooming
    Mumbai image consultants are charging up to 1,000 a day to teach etiquette
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ining-grooming

    When I was in Dubai, I met a few Indians and I tried to talk to them in Urdu which they understood but they wanted to talk in English as if they were ashamed to talk in a langauge which is related to their culture,

    Even goes down to Indian soldiers at Wagah wearing trousers where as Pak soldiers wear their tranditional dress.

    Now we have Hardik Pandya speaking of going out, meeting girls for fun and not worrying to much about their name.

    When westerners are around Indians they are treated as something of royalty.

    Similar can be said of some Pakistani's but imo Indians have taken this western wanabee idea to the extreme level.

    My advise to Indians, you have a rich culture and proud history. No need trying to be what you're not.
    Last edited by gazza619; 9th January 2019 at 00:49.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    1,805
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical stereotyping by OP for all Indians but not surprised. I live in UK and never changed my complex Indian name. Whenever I go to starbucks...I have to spell my name but still stand proud of it. But many, I know choose to shorten their name. Its all personal choice and not restricted to Indians only.

    I have a Pakistani colleague in office named Jahangeer. But he shortened it to Jang. I have a SL friend name Laliyange who is fondly known as Lal. Then all chinese people does it too. For eg Xi Yu Lu will be Andy Lu etc.

    But yes, Indians aclimatize with western values better than other sub continent countries. Hence Microsoft or Google, Indians are CEOs there.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Typical stereotyping by OP for all Indians but not surprised. I live in UK and never changed my complex Indian name. Whenever I go to starbucks...I have to spell my name but still stand proud of it. But many, I know choose to shorten their name. Its all personal choice and not restricted to Indians only.

    I have a Pakistani colleague in office named Jahangeer. But he shortened it to Jang. I have a SL friend name Laliyange who is fondly known as Lal. Then all chinese people does it too. For eg Xi Yu Lu will be Andy Lu etc.

    But yes, Indians aclimatize with western values better than other sub continent countries. Hence Microsoft or Google, Indians are CEOs there.
    You must live in the sticks. There is a difference between shortining your name and changing it to a totally different western name. It's strange you've not come across this. But if you feel there is no merit to the OP, fair enough.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  4. #4
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    8,984
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL OP!

    What is Indian culture? You mean Hindu or Islamic or Christian culture?

    Times have changed and you have to adopt to the situation.

    Boddy Jindal and Nikky Haley are Christians. Punjabis may change their names to Barry or Larry. Not the rest of Indians. We all go by our normal names.

    I have seen Muslims cut short their names to sound more Western. Like Moe, Al, Ben etc.

    Call center people say their names as Lacy, Lucy, Mary because Westerners cannot pronounce Indian names. If you tell them their name is Siddharth, it wastes precious time in understanding the name itself.

    When you work at a place which caters to western customers, you better change your name. Recently been on a cruise. Almost all of the crew is either Indonesian or South Asian. Everyone has an American name.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    LOL OP!

    What is Indian culture? You mean Hindu or Islamic or Christian culture?

    Times have changed and you have to adopt to the situation.

    Boddy Jindal and Nikky Haley are Christians. Punjabis may change their names to Barry or Larry. Not the rest of Indians. We all go by our normal names.

    I have seen Muslims cut short their names to sound more Western. Like Moe, Al, Ben etc.

    Call center people say their names as Lacy, Lucy, Mary because Westerners cannot pronounce Indian names. If you tell them their name is Siddharth, it wastes precious time in understanding the name itself.

    When you work at a place which caters to western customers, you better change your name. Recently been on a cruise. Almost all of the crew is either Indonesian or South Asian. Everyone has an American name.
    Living all my life in the UK , that's all I have ever done but never changed my name. It;s pretty low to change your name imo to appease others or to fit in. Add some face whitening cream to your change of name.

    And what's this all about? lol

    "Indians flock to learn secrets of western dining and grooming
    Mumbai image consultants are charging up to 1,000 a day to teach etiquette "


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  6. #6
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    14,948
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Knee jerk thread KKWC Bhai.
    Perhaps you didn't notice but many Indian posters were quite vocal against Pandya in that thread.


    Tazimi Sirdar

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    1,805
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no harm in learning western culture. Europe was the 1st civilization afterall. I would any day love to learn and adopt a western culture than living like a stone age.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    Knee jerk thread KKWC Bhai.
    Perhaps you didn't notice but many Indian posters were quite vocal against Pandya in that thread.
    It's not just the Pandya issue but in general brother. On the contrary this isn't to have a go at Indians or to laugh at them as I genuinly feel sad to see people esp Indians who have rich culture and history feeling somehow ashamed of their background.

    I remember when I was a child, a racist kid called the P word to an Indian friend of mine, to which he replied I'm Indian not Pak***, to which the racist kid replied, you're all the same to me.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    4,393
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I dont agree actually. I have seen many people from India who are more comfortable talking in English.

    English is my second language but having lived in the UK for so many years even I prefer communicating with a Pakistani/Indian in English rather than in Urdu.

    You have a point on names though. Indians and Pakistanis prefer to have a short english like name. I guess they are just trying to gel in.
    Last edited by gazza619; 9th January 2019 at 00:54.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    There is no harm in learning western culture. Europe was the 1st civilization afterall. I would any day love to learn and adopt a western culture than living like a stone age.
    Do you feel Indian culture is 3rd civilisation, backward or in the stone age?

    Do you go by the name of Cliff by any chance?


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    4,718
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just cringey to me cause they try so hard


    "i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    1,805
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Do you feel Indian culture is 3rd civilisation, backward or in the stone age?

    Do you go by the name of Cliff by any chance?
    Haha....you exactly know what I mean. We both live in UK afterall. But lets not go there.

  13. #13
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    8,984
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Do you feel Indian culture is 3rd civilisation, backward or in the stone age?

    Do you go by the name of Cliff by any chance?
    World is ruled by West. Their's is the dominant culture and many in India work for them and have to interact with Western colleagues and customers. You cannot say your name is Venkateswarlu and expect them not to get confused. Pure waste of time.

    Nobody changes their name completely. Names like Harry, Sid are pet names. They still have their original names.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    West Ridings
    Runs
    3,349
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly sikhs who are bobby, tommy et all. British Hindus don't hate on Pakistanis as much
    ..

  15. #15
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    13,048
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The call centre guys change their name cos they can never pronounce it and you end up repeating it a dozen times so its basically for convenience .

    As for the article , its true some may put efforts to learn say how to use a fork ..but hows it wannabe ? soft skills are extremely important these days especially in the corporate world and most Indian jobs involve interacting/meeting westerners . Some changes are for good and just wearing denim or speaking does not mean you are leaving Indian culture .


    " you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

  16. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    8,171
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just see the American terms like "Mom" and "Buddy" they regularly use in their vocabulary. Most Indian journalists can't even speak fluent Hindi yet try to impress us with their English. Look at how most Bollywood movies now have English titles as well. The Sikhs however have retained their culture much better then the Hindu's have. They are a much more cultured people. Then there are all these programmes they have directly copied from British or American ones like "Big Boss".
    Last edited by giri26; 9th January 2019 at 05:13.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    5,007
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be a really anti Indian post but not a surprise given what some posters have already pointed out. One has to adapt according to the times and place they are in, as the age old adage goes "When in Rome ...".

    If you are living in a country where you are the minority, the main thing is assimilation and integration. If you have self confidence in your culture and traditions then changing your name from Sameer to Sammy, Harbajet to Harry or from Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas to just Vaas shouldn't be a problem or hindrance but instead a benefit. Unless of course one is an insecure person suffering from an identity crisis.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    It's just cringey to me cause they try so hard



    Also why do they call their film industry Bollywood? I dont know of any large forest in Mumbai.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    Seems to be a really anti Indian post but not a surprise given what some posters have already pointed out. One has to adapt according to the times and place they are in, as the age old adage goes "When in Rome ...".

    If you are living in a country where you are the minority, the main thing is assimilation and integration. If you have self confidence in your culture and traditions then changing your name from Sameer to Sammy, Harbajet to Harry or from Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas to just Vaas shouldn't be a problem or hindrance but instead a benefit. Unless of course one is an insecure person suffering from an identity crisis.
    It would 'seem' more sensible if you bothered to read it and understand it properly but that's you with you own personal issues against certain posters.

    It's not only about Indians abroad. Care to comment on this?

    "Indians flock to learn secrets of western dining and grooming
    Mumbai image consultants are charging up to 1,000 a day to teach etiquette "

    I think if you change the name your mother gave you because you're embarrased by it , you are the insecure person.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    5,007
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    It would 'seem' more sensible if you bothered to read it and understand it properly but that's you with you own personal issues against certain posters.

    It's not only about Indians abroad. Care to comment on this?

    "Indians flock to learn secrets of western dining and grooming
    Mumbai image consultants are charging up to 1,000 a day to teach etiquette "

    Don't see any problem in that if it improves your chance to succeed in the Western countries. People take courses for everything that could benefit them and their families in their lives.

    I think if you change the name your mother gave you because you're embarrased by it , you are the insecure person.
    Not really, most of these names are nicknames and pet names which are used in every culture. For example we call KA, Kami or Sarfraz Sarfi, should they also be embarrassed by it?

    Also a person's name is their own property and they can change it how they wish or however well their parents intentions were. What if your mother named your Adolf Hitler? Think about it.

  21. #21
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    12,659
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What name do you guys say when ordering food?

    My brother always gives random names lol.

    I just say Ray or Ryan for me.

    I knew this guy named Shahzaib and he said is name was Shaw

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    Don't see any problem in that if it improves your chance to succeed in the Western countries. People take courses for everything that could benefit them and their families in their lives.



    Not really, most of these names are nicknames and pet names which are used in every culture. For example we call KA, Kami or Sarfraz Sarfi, should they also be embarrassed by it?
    Sure but there are many who want to be like westerners instead of being proud of their own background and culture. If you have never seen this, then you haven't but many others have noticed this. Look at the clip I posted, they made this comedy scene because it happens in real life.

    Also a person's name is their own property and they can change it how they wish or however well their parents intentions were. What if your mother named your Adolf Hitler? Think about it.
    I know Adolf is popular in India but I've not come across anyone named after him. Of course you can change your name but it's why you do it which is interesting. Also nicknames are in every culture, its' not same as calling someone Kami from Kamran to changing your name from Kamran to Keith. Anyway I dont think you understand the point of this thread but please tell me you're name isn't Wolfgang now.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    8,171
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See Indian people feel that it's okay if they feel embarrassed to dress in their local attire as long as the ripped up denims look good. By comparison us Pakistanis still love our salwar suits. Indians feel no need to learn Hindi, Urdu or even Sanskit coz the west or white people don't care about these languages. We must impress the imperialists by becoming their proper slaves doing exactly as they do which is to do everything like the Amerikan or Angrez do. In Pak news channels classical Urdu is spoken where as in Indian ones they struggle to put together two words in Hindi. Gurdas Maan recently said we are still very much slaves of the west. Only difference is we are now their mental slaves. True that Pak Cricketers struggle to speak English where as most Indian celebrities can't even speak their own!
    Last edited by PakLFC; 9th January 2019 at 06:23.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    10,472
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistanis often mistake hindi to have the same influence as urdu. It doesn't. There are 22 languages in total which have the same priorities. Except North and central India, most will prefer either local language or English. Hence, not knowing hindi in our case doesn't equate to not knowing our culture on contradiction to urdu for Pakistani.

    My ex used to work in a call Centre. She did chose a western name. According to her, she was asked to use that name as it will make the clients more comfortable for a homely environment. Atleast they won't be wasting time on the name.

    I didn't know how to use fork and all those. I ate with hands. But when I was in Ukraine, I learnt it. Not because I was trying to shed away my culture but out of respect to the person that invited me.

    If you are confident about your identity, then you can chose these aspects easily. When you have no idea who you are, that's when you will lose yourself.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    1,073
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a strong urge and inferiority complex among a lot of Indians ( minus Sikhs) to seek validation from the Westerners. Aping a Westerners style of eating, talking, dressing and their cultural values is considered a sign of development and progress.

    Indians are considered as the most docile and subservient immigrants in the West, the ones who will offer their cheek for a slap but never hit back.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    102,692
    Mentioned
    1842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Well when Pakistani Muslims can call themselves Mo then why look elsewhere?


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Also why do they call their film industry Bollywood? I dont know of any large forest in Mumbai.
    Bollywood is obviously a blend of Bombay and Hollywood - but Mumbai does have a very large dense forest, with wild leopards. Actually one of the few cities in the world that has a national park within its boundaries - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanj..._National_Park

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    2,486
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    There is a strong urge and inferiority complex among a lot of Indians ( minus Sikhs) to seek validation from the Westerners. Aping a Westerners style of eating, talking, dressing and their cultural values is considered a sign of development and progress.

    Indians are considered as the most docile and subservient immigrants in the West, the ones who will offer their cheek for a slap but never hit back.
    Yet another thread driving the same agenda. Indians are docile and subservient while Pakistanis are alpha creatures, jigre-waale, bade-dil waale, etc. How do you guys survive in multicultural environments with such stereotyping tendencies?

  29. #29
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    11,634
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    have zero respect for these turncoats. generations of indians, mostly hindus, who have been fed that everything about them is inferior, and they must copy the western overlords to progress, dressing up like them in beghairat and sharmnaak shoulderless and backless dresses, going to pubs and discos mingling and dingling with na mehrams, celebrating valentines day and western new year which promotes adultery and sin, even the intellectual seekers reading their literature and ignoring their own mother tongues and being bloody proud of that. these passive petunias, obedient orchids and two faced tulips deserve the ridicule and contumely they suffer.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    98
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstMoM-spJU


    Also why do they call their film industry Bollywood? I dont know of any large forest in Mumbai.


    Another good one..


  31. #31
    Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    4,493
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going out and meeting girls is Western culture, so Indians shouldn't do it? Just more nonsense to show Indians in a bad light.

    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    There is a strong urge and inferiority complex among a lot of Indians ( minus Sikhs) to seek validation from the Westerners. Aping a Westerners style of eating, talking, dressing and their cultural values is considered a sign of development and progress.

    Indians are considered as the most docile and subservient immigrants in the West, the ones who will offer their cheek for a slap but never hit back.
    Considered by who? Are you speaking for a population of hundreds of millions?

    And you seem to assume a lot about what we consider signs of development and progress despite not being an Indian yourself.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    864
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This applies Pakistani elites in Pakistan. Where aping the west is still the norm, women in India when wearing Shalwar Kameez atleast wear a duppata it seems to have long gone in a lot of circles in Pakistan.

    The Indians I have known have not changed their names on the other hand every Chinese I have met has a western name.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    8,171
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    2,486
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    We have Pakistanis call themselves Indians in the west. So this might apply to Pakistanis as well.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    2,217
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    peoples of the Subcontinent have always worshiped Westerners, whether Aryans, Afghans, British etc nothing new.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    2,486
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Not much different, eh?

  37. #37
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    2,217
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post

    Not much different, eh?
    fair skin fetishism is not White worship, it's because in the SC upper castes are generally fairer, so if you're fair it's an allegory for having a good socio-economic position of some sort, but it's true the fair races generally also have more harmonious features (in PK the Pashtuns/Baloch and in India the Punjabis and Brahmins).

  38. #38
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    25,395
    Mentioned
    815 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    There is no harm in learning western culture. Europe was the 1st civilization afterall. I would any day love to learn and adopt a western culture than living like a stone age.
    Sure? Mesopotamia? Epic of Gilgamesh? Then Egyptians put up the pyramids when the best we Europeans could do was Stonehenge.

  39. #39
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    25,953
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Isn't this just an example of willingness to integrate, something Pakistanis and other Muslim races have been accused of failing to do?


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    194
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a Thai guy who works for me, his name is Chalermchai, try pronouncing it. We call him Jordan.


  41. #41
    Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    1,586
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    We have people changing their names from Gurpreet to Gary, Balwinder to Barry. I know of many in the UK who have changed their names to western sounding names due to feeling embarrased. We also have Nikki and Bobby in the US. Even when I call call centres in India, I get answered with Lucy, when I asked what is your real name, she replied Lucy.
    I think it is more common among Punjabis in UK. Do others (Tamils, Biharis, Bengalis) do that in your experience?
    Nikki and Bobby are converted Christians. There are many Indian politicians, CEOs in USA with original Indian sounding names.
    Call centre Lucy may be a Christian. Christianity is a major religion in regions like Goa, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, North East etc and they are over represented in workforce because of cultural thrust on education. Lucy is a name I have come across a few times in my life. Generally our Christians have Anglicized first names followed by Indian sounding surnames, eg Vincent Kumar, Elizabeth Kuruvilla, James Pandian etc.

    When I was in Dubai, I met a few Indians and I tried to talk to them in Urdu which they understood but they wanted to talk in English as if they were ashamed to talk in a langauge which is related to their culture,
    Are you sure they were fluent in Urdu/Hindi, it is possible to understand a language without having the confidence to speak in it. As a Tamil I don't understand those languages, many Indians don't understand or lack fluency in those languages. English is a matter of convenience for us, unlike Pakistan we have too many regional languages and the notion of national language (Hindi) never took off despite best attempts by New Delhi. If I were to meet someone in Dubai, I too would speak in English unless the other person is a Tamil.
    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 9th January 2019 at 17:48.

  42. #42
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    14,948
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enkidu_ View Post
    peoples of the Subcontinent have always worshiped Westerners, whether Aryans, Afghans, British etc nothing new.
    Who worshipped Afghans and when?


    Tazimi Sirdar

  43. #43
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    14,948
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    There is a strong urge and inferiority complex among a lot of Indians ( minus Sikhs) to seek validation from the Westerners. Aping a Westerners style of eating, talking, dressing and their cultural values is considered a sign of development and progress.

    Indians are considered as the most docile and subservient immigrants in the West, the ones who will offer their cheek for a slap but never hit back.
    I hope things are alright with Bhabhiji at home.


    Tazimi Sirdar

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    38,549
    Mentioned
    1783 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The elite burger class from India have this incessant need to fit in and be more 'westernized'. However, the middle class folks that I have come across or am friends with are normal people who hold onto their culture but also assimilate into society.


    #Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

  45. #45
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    20,327
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    I think it is more common among Punjabis in UK. Do others (Tamils, Biharis, Bengalis) do that in your experience?
    Nikki and Bobby are converted Christians. There are many Indian politicians, CEOs in USA with original Indian sounding names.
    Call centre Lucy may be a Christian. Christianity is a major religion in regions like Goa, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, North East etc and they are over represented in workforce because of cultural thrust on education. Lucy is a name I have come across a few times in my life. Generally our Christians have Anglicized first names followed by Indian sounding surnames, eg Vincent Kumar, Elizabeth Kuruvilla, James Pandian etc.



    Are you sure they were fluent in Urdu/Hindi, it is possible to understand a language without having the confidence to speak in it. As a Tamil I don't understand those languages, many Indians don't understand or lack fluency in those languages. English is a matter of convenience for us, unlike Pakistan we have too many regional languages and the notion of national language (Hindi) never took off despite best attempts by New Delhi. If I were to meet someone in Dubai, I too would speak in English unless the other person is a Tamil.
    Mate this thread is just to take a dig, everytime you see India winning you would see one thread like this from one of the two Brit Pakistanis ,so relax a you don't have to be logical.

    Many Pak posters have already said it's common across.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    2,217
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    Who worshipped Afghans and when?
    the B-word, look at the leading actors.

  47. #47
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    25,953
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Mate this thread is just to take a dig, everytime you see India winning you would see one thread like this from one of the two Brit Pakistanis ,so relax a you don't have to be logical.

    Many Pak posters have already said it's common across.
    I think that is just your paranoia, us guys are in Time Pass shooting the breeze regardless of India winning or losing, cricket is not that important - to me at least.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  48. #48
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    14,948
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enkidu_ View Post
    the B-word, look at the leading actors.
    Which leading actor is Afghan in bollywood?


    Tazimi Sirdar

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    3,552
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enkidu_ View Post
    peoples of the Subcontinent have always worshiped Westerners, whether Aryans, Afghans, British etc nothing new.
    i dont think anyone worshipped Afghans , also Afghans of past just mean Pashtuns.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    3,552
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    Which leading actor is Afghan in bollywood?
    none of note, best looking bollywood actors are easily High cast Hindus(Khatris etc) and its not even close.

  51. #51
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    14,948
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amax View Post
    none of note, best looking bollywood actors are easily High cast Hindus(Khatris etc) and its not even close.
    Yes that could be true.


    Tazimi Sirdar

  52. #52
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    25,953
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    See, now I am going to turn this thread on it's head by asking: what is wrong with trying to be like westerners? If you see something better, why reject it in order to cling onto something inferior or outdated?
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 10th January 2019 at 16:03.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  53. #53
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    14,948
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    See, now I am going to turn this thread on it's head by asking: what is wrong with trying to be like westerners? If you see something better, why reject it in order to cling onto something inferior or outdated?[/QUOTE]
    I have no idea Captain. I come from a small village and never been outside India therefore can't really comment on this supposed behavior of NRIs.
    Perhaps it could be a caste thing.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 10th January 2019 at 16:03.


    Tazimi Sirdar

  54. #54
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    I think it is more common among Punjabis in UK. Do others (Tamils, Biharis, Bengalis) do that in your experience?
    Nikki and Bobby are converted Christians. There are many Indian politicians, CEOs in USA with original Indian sounding names.
    Call centre Lucy may be a Christian. Christianity is a major religion in regions like Goa, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, North East etc and they are over represented in workforce because of cultural thrust on education. Lucy is a name I have come across a few times in my life. Generally our Christians have Anglicized first names followed by Indian sounding surnames, eg Vincent Kumar, Elizabeth Kuruvilla, James Pandian etc.



    Are you sure they were fluent in Urdu/Hindi, it is possible to understand a language without having the confidence to speak in it. As a Tamil I don't understand those languages, many Indians don't understand or lack fluency in those languages. English is a matter of convenience for us, unlike Pakistan we have too many regional languages and the notion of national language (Hindi) never took off despite best attempts by New Delhi. If I were to meet someone in Dubai, I too would speak in English unless the other person is a Tamil.
    Fair response appreciate it. Im sure they were fluent enough as they understood what I said and replied well. Perhaps they just felt more comfortable but I prefer to speak in Urdu to those whose first language isn't English as we Brits tend to speak fast and our accents along with our slang often makes it difficult for others to understand.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  55. #55
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    8,171
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    We have Pakistanis call themselves Indians in the west. So this might apply to Pakistanis as well.
    Indians are also called Pak?s in the west in much greater numbers then the other way around. Millions of Pakistanis however suffer from an Arab complex similar to the one Indians have of Americans and westerners..


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Sep 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    9,580
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians that the OP is stereotyping do take the award for being the most cringe-worthy people in the world over the last decade or two, they are always trying, most of the time very badly to adapt socially to a more western lifestyle in and outside India.

    The internet is a gem of a time capsule if we go hunting for evidence of my claims, am quite tempted.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    11,325
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    See, now I am going to turn this thread on it's head by asking: what is wrong with trying to be like westerners? If you see something better, why reject it in order to cling onto something inferior or outdated?
    It's not bad but some people here try to put on a fake british/american accent. You can clearly distinguish between NRIs, NRPs who were born abroad and those who live here as soon as they open their mouth. Desis try too hard to fit in.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Nov 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    1,351
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Well when Pakistani Muslims can call themselves Mo then why look elsewhere?
    brutal

  59. #59
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    25,953
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Well when Pakistani Muslims can call themselves Mo then why look elsewhere?
    This reminds me of one of my favourite scenes from the Walking Dead ( when it used to be good). Merle, the redneck bully who is taking out a Spanish newbie to hunt down Michone asks him "what's your name?"

    Spanish guy puffs out his chest and says "G-H- arjulio!"

    Merle: "I'm gonna call you Neil.."



    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  60. #60
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    11,325
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    It's not just the Pandya issue but in general brother. On the contrary this isn't to have a go at Indians or to laugh at them as I genuinly feel sad to see people esp Indians who have rich culture and history feeling somehow ashamed of their background.

    I remember when I was a child, a racist kid called the P word to an Indian friend of mine, to which he replied I'm Indian not Pak***, to which the racist kid replied, you're all the same to me.
    Bottom line is you can copy their dressing, their accent but not their thinking and culture. Pandya thread is the perfect example of that. Most of the wannabes in that thread are going after Pandya for something which is discussed quite openly in the western world. These people will watch series like GOT and what not but still think like pendu.

  61. #61
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    25,953
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Bottom line is you can copy their dressing, their accent but not their thinking and culture. Pandya thread is the perfect example of that. Most of the wannabes in that thread are going after Pandya for something which is discussed quite openly in the western world. These people will watch series like GOT and what not but still think like pendu.
    Actually, those things aren't discussed openly as a rule in the western world, it is locker room talk usually behind closed doors or between friends. I can't think of too many who would go on tv and brag about it and include their mommies as part of their banter crew.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  62. #62
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    11,325
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Actually, those things aren't discussed openly as a rule in the western world, it is locker room talk usually behind closed doors or between friends. I can't think of too many who would go on tv and brag about it and include their mommies as part of their banter crew.
    If someone does it there, will it be blown out of proportion like it is done here?

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Well when Pakistani Muslims can call themselves Mo then why look elsewhere?
    Not just Pakistani Muslims but millions around the world as Mohammed is the most popular name .

    Its an abbreviation of Mohammed , just as Kam is of Kamran. This is very different to changing the whole name to another language and another culture because you are insecure of your background.

    Not all but many Indians have an inferiority complex when it comes to white westerners . Not sure why people are trying to deny this .


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  64. #64
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    25,953
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    If someone does it there, will it be blown out of proportion like it is done here?
    It would cause a massive backlash yes. If you read the papers over the last couple of days there is outrage over some French author who has said publicly that he doesn't feel attracted to women of his own age (50) and prefers 25 yr olds. Also says he prefers Asian women from Korea, Thailand etc, and there is a lot of angry white women over 30 causing a fuss.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  65. #65
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    11,634
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post

    It’s an abbreviation of Mohammed , just as Kam is of Kamran. This is very different to changing the whole name to another language and another culture because you are insecure of your background.
    of course it is an abbreviation, but would you refer the Prophet by that abbreviated name? if not, why use the abbreviation.

    the most important name, which your parents chose for you to commemorate the Prophet, hoping that you emulate him, is changed just to fit in another culture, can't get worse than that. Surprised that you are defending this practice.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    32,618
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    of course it is an abbreviation, but would you refer the Prophet by that abbreviated name? if not, why use the abbreviation.

    the most important name, which your parents chose for you to commemorate the Prophet, hoping that you emulate him, is changed just to fit in another culture, can't get worse than that. Surprised that you are defending this practice.
    We should follow the Prophet(pbuh) example. Shorting of manes is common in all cultures & doesnt mean you are disrespecting the name .

  67. #67
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    11,634
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    We should follow the Prophet(pbuh) example. Shorting of manes is common in all cultures & doesn’t mean you are disrespecting the name .
    if you don't see it as disrespect then you can be forgiven as it is an innocent mistake.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    864
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very generalised.......I have come across a lot of Indians from India and none of them have ever given a western name and try and make sure people pronounce their name correctly and don't go from Jagpal to Jack (will shorten to Jag).

    I think this is just a big beat up on Indians when you look at Pakistani burgers all they care about is the west. You have school systems in Pakistan where you can drop Urdu from your final school exams so a bit like kettle calling pot black.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    See Indian people feel that it's okay if they feel embarrassed to dress in their local attire as long as the ripped up denims look good. By comparison us Pakistanis still love our salwar suits. Indians feel no need to learn Hindi, Urdu or even Sanskit coz the west or white people don't care about these languages. We must impress the imperialists by becoming their proper slaves doing exactly as they do which is to do everything like the Amerikan or Angrez do. In Pak news channels classical Urdu is spoken where as in Indian ones they struggle to put together two words in Hindi. Gurdas Maan recently said we are still very much slaves of the west. Only difference is we are now their mental slaves. True that Pak Cricketers struggle to speak English where as most Indian celebrities can't even speak their own!
    WRONG! Many Indians do not bother learning Hindi/Urdu/Sanskrit because these are alien languages to a lot of Indians. For a Tamil/Malayali Indian Hindi/Urdu/Sanskrit is as alien as English and which would they rather learn given the economic incentives thru education/job?

    Many Pakistanis sadly see India through their Punjabi/Northern lens and use a broad brush to paint everyone. India is a lot more diverse than you can imagine - especially if you see it through a narrow lens like this.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Not just Pakistani Muslims but millions around the world as Mohammed is the most popular name .

    It’s an abbreviation of Mohammed , just as Kam is of Kamran. This is very different to changing the whole name to another language and another culture because you are insecure of your background.

    Not all but many Indians have an inferiority complex when it comes to white westerners . Not sure why people are trying to deny this .
    The OP seems to clearly have a bias against Indians (as is evident from other posts I see as a newbie here). Once you are biased against something you clearly want to look for data points that confirm your bias.

    Worshipping/exalting white people is sadly prevalent among ALL races and national groups. Have you seen Latin Americans? Africans? Arabs (notorious for bowing down to white people)? Turks? Asians? other Subcontinental nations including Pakistan? Saying only Indians worship white people makes it either delusional or taking specific data point out of context to confirm your existing bias.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Isn't this just an example of willingness to integrate, something Pakistanis and other Muslim races have been accused of failing to do?
    Well put! As an Indian born in the US, I have been pretty active in organizing military veterans of South Asian origin (not just Indians), issue I generally see is the relative lack of Americanness among the Pakistani community relative to other ethnic groups.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the OP's comments (even if meant in a serious unbiased note) is like fitting a square peg in a round hole or maybe akin to claiming all pegs should be square and not round. There are 2 schools of thoughts here

    1. People who change/evolve more rapidly than their culture/nation/religion
    2. People who choose not to

    Bear in mind culture by itself is constantly evolving, so your comparison baseline is itself not a constant. Claiming culture never changes is moronic - Will you want burning wife after husband's death to still be the norm? Will you want any one of archaic practices from the South Asia of 1800s or middle east of 1200s be the norm today? As you see, we are comfortable with culture as a shifting parameter.

    The above being said, consider #1 and #2 above. Who are we to judge and say only one way is correct and people's cultural preferences should only evolve at a certain rate?

    I for one, am peeved by fellow Americans of South Asian origin (born or grew up here in the US) not being as integrated into the mainstream and continuing to only exist within their ethnic social "ghettos" (liberal use of this word in a derogatory sense).

    I would say that continuing to make assumptions for everyone's cultural evolution could make us come off as "my way or the high way" or singling out a specific country (India in this instance) could make us and others reveal a certain subjective bias - very shallow in either case.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    8,171
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    WRONG! Many Indians do not bother learning Hindi/Urdu/Sanskrit because these are alien languages to a lot of Indians. For a Tamil/Malayali Indian Hindi/Urdu/Sanskrit is as alien as English and which would they rather learn given the economic incentives thru education/job?

    Many Pakistanis sadly see India through their Punjabi/Northern lens and use a broad brush to paint everyone. India is a lot more diverse than you can imagine - especially if you see it through a narrow lens like this.
    Nope I am seeing India through Pak, Indian and an international lens which is why I provided an Indian video where the person admits the inferiority complex Indian people suffer from. You can see many more of them on youtube if you type "Indian inferiority complex". By the way Pak is also Saraiki, Kashmiri and Baloch as well. So why are most Indian people so desperate to mimic the west?


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Nope I am seeing India through Pak, Indian and an international lens which is why I provided an Indian video where the person admits the inferiority complex Indian people suffer from. You can see many more of them on youtube if you type "Indian inferiority complex". By the way Pak is also Saraiki, Kashmiri and Baloch as well. So why are most Indian people so desperate to mimic the west?
    Dude - this is a classic case of "let me find a link/video to confirm my bias". This video if anything only proves your inherent bias against a certain group of people. The video was probably made by someone connected in some way to India to express their group's opinions. We can find millions of similar videos showing both kinds of opinions (contestable subjective opinions mind you) for all nations and groups of people. These videos prove nothing at the large scheme of things. IMO the only thing the video proves is YOUR ability to do internet searches for a given opinion (so can everyone else participating in this forum for their opinions).

    Mind you I'm not even getting to the point of opinions in the video being right/wrong (whole other ball game if you ask me). They could well be right in a certain context, but that is besides the point I'm trying to make.

    Besides - why should Tamil/Malayali people for instance learn Hindi/Urdu/Sanskrit in order to prove their "Indianness"? They have languages that predate Christianity/Islam. Not sure if I caught your answer for this (assuming you do comprehend that the video you linked to in another post does not answer that). So, I still stand by my original opinion that you are sadly seeing India in it's entirety through your narrow lens, which is very sad. I for one, would love folks from Pakistan to open up and learn more about other parts of India and not just the typical Indian areas that Pakistanis can relate to.

  75. #75
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Nope I am seeing India through Pak, Indian and an international lens which is why I provided an Indian video where the person admits the inferiority complex Indian people suffer from. You can see many more of them on youtube if you type "Indian inferiority complex". By the way Pak is also Saraiki, Kashmiri and Baloch as well. So why are most Indian people so desperate to mimic the west?
    I'm aware bud. So how would a Pashtun/Baloch/Kashmiri feel if an Indian of Punjabi heritage stereotypes them with a Punjabi lens? I think that is very similar (probably an even more stark difference) to how a south Indian could feel when you use Hindi/Urdu/Sanskrit as the yardstick to measure their level of Indianness.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    2,192
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    There is no harm in learning western culture. Europe was the 1st civilization afterall. I would any day love to learn and adopt a western culture than living like a stone age.
    I am keen to learn about the fact of Europe being the 1st civilisation? why do you say that? Wouldnt there be others that may claim being older than Europeans?


    عبدي أنت تريد ، وأنا أريد ، ولا يكون إلا ما أريد ، فإن سلمت لي فيما تريد كفيتك ما تريد

  77. #77
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    8,171
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    I'm aware bud. So how would a Pashtun/Baloch/Kashmiri feel if an Indian of Punjabi heritage stereotypes them with a Punjabi lens? I think that is very similar (probably an even more stark difference) to how a south Indian could feel when you use Hindi/Urdu/Sanskrit as the yardstick to measure their level of Indianness.
    I will feel okay if you did that! I have no probs when certain people accuse Pakistanis as being Arab wannabe's coz they are often right! It is true that millions of Pakistanis have sod out their own culture to be more Arab like that angers me. The criticism of these kind of people is absolutely correct as is those Indians desperate to be Americans. I am not seeing Pakistanis through Punjabi but Pak glasses being able to differentiate between various Pak cultures and Arabism. As far as I know the burkha and those robes Arab men wear that ours have adopted has gradually been increasing in Pakistan over the years in massive numbers. What I am seeing in India is everyone wants to be an American so desperate to call their culture as Indian one. If I Punjab acts like a Baloch I have no problem as both as Pakistani but I have an issue when they do so like non Pakistanis. Whats all this "Mom", "Dude", "Babe" and "Buddy" obsession in your country when you certainly were not using these terms in the 70's or 80's? Just be yourself okay otherwise tolerate the world laughs at you and rightly so! Tamil or whoever else need not learn anything however when any group accept outside values and culture as their own then they are rightfully mocked. You just need to deal with it.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    2,802
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Pakistanis often mistake hindi to have the same influence as urdu. It doesn't. There are 22 languages in total which have the same priorities. Except North and central India, most will prefer either local language or English. Hence, not knowing hindi in our case doesn't equate to not knowing our culture on contradiction to urdu for Pakistani.

    My ex used to work in a call Centre. She did chose a western name. According to her, she was asked to use that name as it will make the clients more comfortable for a homely environment. Atleast they won't be wasting time on the name.

    I didn't know how to use fork and all those. I ate with hands. But when I was in Ukraine, I learnt it. Not because I was trying to shed away my culture but out of respect to the person that invited me.

    If you are confident about your identity, then you can chose these aspects easily. When you have no idea who you are, that's when you will lose yourself.
    Well put. There is no harm in adapting to whichever country you are based in at the moment. It makes you look lot less like an alien.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    11,634
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Well put. There is no harm in adapting to whichever country you are based in at the moment. It makes you look lot less like an alien.
    indians are the model residents wherever they go, except in india.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    1,073
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    indians are the model residents wherever they go, except in india.
    Indians ( Minus the Sikhs) yes.

    Non-confrontational, Subservient, Mellowed down, always keep a lower gaze, the ones who offer their right cheek after being slapped on the left.

    You can even bully them but they will laugh it off and take no offense.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •