Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1761 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

"Iím a journalist who fled Pakistan, but I no longer feel safe in exile"

PARIS ó On Jan. 10, 2018, I survived an abduction and possible assassination attempt by armed men who stopped my taxi in the middle of an highway in Islamabad, Pakistan, when I was on my way to the airport. Luckily, I escaped. I believe the attack was orchestrated by the Pakistani army, which has been threatening me for years over my journalistic work on military abuses in Pakistan.

Since the brazen assault, I have fled Pakistan with my wife and five-year-old son, and we now live in self-imposed exile in France. After the attack, several well-wishers told me that if I did not stop speaking about the Pakistani military, I would be shot dead the next time they came for me. So I decided to speak up from the safety of exile. But now, even in exile, I feel unsafe.

I was in Washington last month for a conference organized by Pakistani dissidents in exile like me, when I received a call from U.S. authorities. I met with the officials, who told me they had intelligence about an assassination plot against me if I were to ever return to Pakistan. I was further advised to stay away from Pakistani embassies around the world and also Pakistan-friendly countries. Other Pakistani dissidents in exile have received similar warnings.

The U.S. intelligence officials told me they believe that, after Jamal Khashoggiís killing, repressive regimes such as the one in Pakistan have been emboldened to silence critics, not only at home but also abroad. It certainly seems that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, who may have ordered the hit on Khashoggi, is going to get away with this murder, as the Saudi royals' global relations remain unscathed.

When a journalist friend asked me to be careful after the Saudi journalistís murder, I brushed it off by saying Paris, where I currently live, is safe. But then he reminded me of the killings of three Kurdish dissidents in the city in 2013, allegedly ordered by Turkish authorities.

Now, after the warning I received, I once again fear for my life. Every time I leave my apartment, enter public places or simply walk on the streets in Paris, I am paranoid about being followed. Every time I stand on the subway platform, I fear that someone may push me on the tracks at the last moment.

Since the warning by the U.S. agency, my family has been telling me to go quiet and forget about Pakistan. I remind them that the only reason I left Pakistan, where I had a stable job, a comfortable home and a strong journalism network, was so I could continue being the voice of those in Pakistan who cannot speak up.

I have had friends murdered, disappeared and shot because they dared to challenge the powers that be. This past year was the worst year for Pakistani journalists.

Hundreds of journalists have lost their jobs in recent months because of a financial squeeze that many believe has been orchestrated by the Pakistani authorities to teach independent media houses a lesson. With physical attacks such as the one on me and several others, fear has taken over the industry, resulting in unprecedented self-imposed censorship. A recent survey revealed 88 percent of Pakistani journalists exercise self-censorship.

With the mainstream media muted, social media platforms have become an important outlet for those who still dare to speak truth in Pakistan. But even those platforms are now collaborating with the Pakistani authorities. Facebook is heavily censored in the country and Twitter has been sending legal notices on behalf of the Pakistani government to its users to remove objectionable content. I received such a warning, too. Also, following the Saudi playbook, Pakistan also deploys armies of online trolls to target target critics like me, warning us of fates like Khashoggiís.

Pakistan recently had elections, and a new government has come into power, led by cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan. His close ties to the military show he may not care for democratic norms such as freedom of expression.

One year after my attack, the harassment, intimidation and threats have followed me abroad, too, and have forced me to think whether it is all worth it. As someone recently told me: If they are obsessed with silencing a journalist and his ideas, it probably means that his ideas are powerful and worth listening to.

I believe powerful and independent ideas should not be given up, no matter what the cost.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.df1e87ab08c3

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shows you whos the real power in this country.

Sham democracy

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    LMAO... who is this guy. There are folks like Najam Sethi who openly write against the Pakistani Army while living and working in Pakistan and have never complained about threats to their lives.

Some unknown journalist who nobody has even heard of is will be subject to assassination attempt

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The guy says "With the mainstream media muted"

Nothing could be further from the truth. Heck, the media is spewing fake news and false propaganda everyday and nobody does anything against them.

Man these journalists do not realize that while working for their own projection how much damage they are causing to the state

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "Hundreds of journalists have lost their jobs in recent months because of a financial squeeze that many believe has been orchestrated by the Pakistani authorities to teach independent media houses a lesson"

All the government did was stop giving the media houses money for advertisements. If your business is based on government dole out then you really shouldn't be in business.

Pathetic low life journalist trying to gain cheap sympathy by writing utter lies.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "I have had friends murdered, disappeared and shot because they dared to challenge the powers that be. This past year was the worst year for Pakistani journalists."

What the heck... how can people just fabricate complete lies out of thin air in this day and age.

Committee for Protection of Journalists tracks the deaths and motives of journalists across the world and is an independent global organization (not influenced by the big bad Pak army)

https://cpj.org/data/killed/asia/pak...up_by=location

Only ONE journalist was killed in Pakistan in 2018 and he was killed in KPK after exposing a drug dealer.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

Sham democracy
    Yeah this democracy wasn't sham when your leader Zardari was looting with both hands and feet.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Sham democracy

Well said Major

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Yeah this democracy wasn't sham when your leader Zardari was looting with both hands and feet.
    The irony of these losers being on here at the same time. They hoped that we forget the "democracy" they espouse is one of looting and plunder from a poor country.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Syed1 bro this is no laughing matter.

I know extended family members who was a journalist and killed.

There was also a book that this guy wrote, and was killed immediately regarding our agencies involment with al qaeda.

These are no laughing matters. Those qilas exist for a reason

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sialkot
    Runs
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO... who is this guy. There are folks like Najam Sethi who openly write against the Pakistani Army while living and working in Pakistan and have never complained about threats to their lives.

Some unknown journalist who nobody has even heard of is will be subject to assassination attempt
    Superman.

Armed men stopped his Taxy on highway and he ESCAPED. Just WoW.

Honestly, He is more likely to be an undercover agent of Pakistan Army.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I mean how incapable are our agencies, theres a 3rd time i am listening the same ** story about some journalist "escaping" from abduction, same story with that taha siddiqi guy.
    also, he is admitting to have relations with forgien intel agencies in same article.
    LOL.

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talentspotterpk View Post
    well said major

whats the meaning of ppra ?

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People like Sethi, Talat Hussain, Ghareeda Farooqi, Hamid Mir, Munizey Jahangir, Asma Jahangir and plenty of social media stars have made their careers and probably fortunes by bashing army yet they are roaming freely in this country while pro army journalists like Dr Shahid Masood are in jail.

Its so easy, bash your army, pose as a victim and immigrate to a western country, preferably US. There you can become a free agent and can work for the highest bidder.

I hope our authorities are as ambitious and far sighted as people think them to be. They should take care of him.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    People like Sethi, Talat Hussain, Ghareeda Farooqi, Hamid Mir, Munizey Jahangir, Asma Jahangir and plenty of social media stars have made their careers and probably fortunes by bashing army yet they are roaming freely in this country while pro army journalists like Dr Shahid Masood are in jail.

Its so easy, bash your army, pose as a victim and immigrate to a western country, preferably US. There you can become a free agent and can work for the highest bidder.

I hope our authorities are as ambitious and far sighted as people think them to be. They should take care of him.
    the problem in our society, cannot see whats wrong

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Irony just died a thousand deaths.

your own post applies first to you, because you did not see the meat of Greenstorm's post, of how there are many vocal and popular anti-army journalists doing their work in Pakistan without being subject of "assassination attempts"

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    says a PPP supporter, enough said.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    says a PPP supporter, enough said.
    really?

Enough said? COming from a guy who believes in controlling peoples voices, and actually wanting the army to take action against their critics.....

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Irony just died a thousand deaths.

your own post applies first to you, because you did not see the meat of Greenstorm's post, of how there are many vocal and popular anti-army journalists doing their work in Pakistan without being subject of "assassination attempts"
    I had relatives close to me who were picked up by the agencies and killed for being vocal against...................................

THen there is Syed Saleem Shahzad death. You think that just happened out of no where?

If you do bother to research regarding this, and stop turning a blind eye and getting personal with everyone who disagree with you, you will find out many stories.

Do read what happened with Najem SEthi in 1999
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 10th January 2019 at 15:00.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Aussieland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by last_knight View Post
    Superman.

Armed men stopped his Taxy on highway and he ESCAPED. Just WoW.

Honestly, He is more likely to be an undercover agent of Pakistan Army.
    SUPERMAN says HI.....

Yesterday is the past.Tomorrow is the future.Today is a gift.That's why it's called the "present"

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Aussieland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had relatives close to me who were picked up by the agencies and killed for being vocal against...................................

THen there is Syed Saleem Shahzad death. You think that just happened out of no where?

If you do bother to research regarding this, and stop turning a blind eye and getting personal with everyone who disagree with you, you will find out many stories.

how do u know it were agencies ? stop conspiracy theories on a cricketing forum

Yesterday is the past.Tomorrow is the future.Today is a gift.That's why it's called the "present"

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    People like Sethi, Talat Hussain, Ghareeda Farooqi, Hamid Mir, Munizey Jahangir, Asma Jahangirand plenty of social media stars have made their careers and probably fortunes by bashing army yet they are roaming freely in this country while pro army journalists like Dr Shahid Masood are in jail.

These journalists are/were very high profile and extremely influential. It is not easy to mess with them because they have more than enough clout and networking to brutally expose any institution that attempts to take away their right to free speech, let alone attempt to assasinate or kidnap them.

As a result, only the small time, unknown journalists are targeted and blackmailed. The reason is that they donít want these journalists to grow into the Najam Sethis and Talat Hussains of the future.

Bullies never pick on the big guys. They only target the small and the weak.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)

These people are too naive and ignorant to understand. They are completely clueless of the ground realities, but you cannot blame them either because they have barely any exposure.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    These journalists are/were very high profile and extremely influential. It is not easy to mess with them because they have more than enough clout and networking to brutally expose any institution that attempts to take away their right to free speech, let alone attempt to assasinate or kidnap them.

As a result, only the small time, unknown journalists are targeted and blackmailed. The reason is that they don’t want these journalists to grow into the Najam Sethis and Talat Hussains of the future.

And what would be the point of targeting guys that have no profile. You make no sense at all. If you want to target anyone, target the main guys but they are on TV every night and that give their lifafa point of view.You know these ones that are paid to spout craap on behalf of the Nooras and RAW

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    And what would be the point of targeting guys that have no profile. You make no sense at all. If you want to target anyone, target the main guys but they are on TV every night and that give their lifafa point of view.You know these ones that are paid to spout craap on behalf of the Nooras and RAW
    Because they are not naive to target the big guns. It is nothing but asking for trouble because they will be easily exposed.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Because they are not naive to target the big guns. It is nothing but asking for trouble because they will be easily exposed.
    But what is the point of targeting the nondescripts? Its a bit like targeting the 12th man. The mafia and their supporters have been exposed and this is the only thing they can come up with.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I pity the ignorance of those who are laughing at this story.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    But what is the point of targeting the nondescripts? Its a bit like targeting the 12th man. The mafia and their supporters have been exposed and this is the only thing they can come up with.
    Targeting low profile journalists is their tactic of ensuring that they do not become high profile tomorrow.

Today, they are around 10-15 bigwigs that give them sleepless nights. Tomorrow, they donít want that number to be doubled.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    I pity the ignorance of those who are laughing at this story.
    Lol so people who are not taking this fabricated story on face value are ignorant?

So this superman escaped from the agencies and then took a flight out of the country but our agencies were so incompetent that first they let him go and couldn't catch him at the multiple checkpoints at the airport? Did he travel on a fake passport? Did he smuggle himself out of the country?

The people who are believing this lame story are the ones who are naive and ignorant.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewarrior View Post
    I mean how incapable are our agencies, theres a 3rd time i am listening the same ** story about some journalist "escaping" from abduction, same story with that taha siddiqi guy.
    also, he is admitting to have relations with forgien intel agencies in same article.
    LOL.
    Always the telling factor in these cases. It would be like a UK journalist having relations with Iranian secret services.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol so people who are not taking this fabricated story on face value are ignorant?

So this superman escaped from the agencies and then took a flight out of the country but our agencies were so incompetent that first they let him go and couldn't catch him at the multiple checkpoints at the airport? Did he travel on a fake passport? Did he smuggle himself out of the country?

The people who are believing this lame story are the ones who are naive and ignorant.
    Whatever floats your boat man.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Targeting low profile journalists is their tactic of ensuring that they do not become high profile tomorrow.

Today, they are around 10-15 bigwigs that give them sleepless nights. Tomorrow, they don’t want that number to be doubled.
    Wow that much planning ahead- do you think they target them when they are in their nappies? So how did these lifafas get through to be on TV to spout rubbish?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Whatever floats your boat man.
    On the one @Mamoon is telliing us that the agencies are superhuman and plan way ahead and on the other hand this guy escaped because of their incompetence, so what you are telling us that these agencies are super good and incompetent. That really makes a hell alot of sense.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On the one @Mamoon is telliing us that the agencies are superhuman and plan way ahead and on the other hand this guy escaped because of their incompetence, so what you are telling us that these agencies are super good and incompetent. That really makes a hell alot of sense.
    Wouldn't be the first time.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    will someone plz give me the answer ? why is he in the contacts of the foreign Intel agencies ?

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    will someone plz give me the answer ? why is he in the contacts of the foreign Intel agencies ?
    Yeh. Like how is it that journalists are in contact with their potential sources of inside information?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a result, only the small time, unknown journalists are targeted and blackmailed. The reason is that they don’t want these journalists to grow into the Najam Sethis and Talat Hussains of the future.

What you mean by the clout of these 'high profile' and 'influential people' is that they are well connected with western media community and if anything happens to these army haters in Pakistan, those foreign journalists will create hoopla for them in their respective media outlets for few weeks but do you really think that is enough deterrence for our authorites if they want to take them out ?
    Geo tried to cash Hamid Mir incident but it did not ended well for them (they went from the most news watched channel to just another news channel watched by the supporters of a certain party).

And I only mentioned the big names in media industry. There are plenty of minnows openly doing the same thing, specially on social media. Actually nowadays, it is considered cool if you criticize Army. Every other wannabe is doing it.

Also, the agencies must be taking action against some people who are linked with suspicion and antistate activities but that is their job. Just look at your shining neighbouring country and tell me how many journalists are openly criticizing their army ?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really?

Enough said? COming from a guy who believes in controlling peoples voices, and actually wanting the army to take action against their critics.....
    No critics are fine, its the traitors, the namak harams that should be taken care of like most civilized countries do.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeh. Like how is it that journalists are in contact with their potential sources of inside information?
    are you kidding me ? potential source of inside information ? these dodos dont even know whats the meaning of PPRA these days, they are not even qualified journalists.
    the journalists could be in contact with anyone, but some Higher Intel Agencies. If you are in the contacts of Higher Intel agencies of any country, thats means you are collaborating with them.

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No critics are fine, its the traitors, the namak harams that should be taken care of like most civilized countries do.
    That's very subjective. For instance, if you give a power like this to someone like Trump, he will hang everyone who disagree with him. If someone is traitor, then bring them in to the court of law. Like civilized countries, stop executing them.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    are you kidding me ? potential source of inside information ? these dodos dont even know whats the meaning of PPRA these days, they are not even qualified journalists.
    the journalists could be in contact with anyone, but some Higher Intel Agencies. If you are in the contacts of Higher Intel agencies of any country, thats means you are collaborating with them.
    Its a mutually beneficial relationship. That's how sharing the inside information works. A journalist does not have as much knowledge as higher intel agencies have on certain issues. So objectively, its the journalist who gains more intel than the intel agencies.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't be the first time.
    That makes sense.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very subjective. For instance, if you give a power like this to someone like Trump, he will hang everyone who disagree with him. If someone is traitor, then bring them in to the court of law. Like civilized countries, stop executing them.
    Believe me if they are brought into court of law and executed, same enlightened souls will tell us that army is in bed with judiciary and how the system is rigged (it has already happened with Nawaz Sharif's sentence). If you want to believe that all powerful big bad army is mother of all evils in this country, you will always find a way to validate your belief.

Also a lot of these critics have cases pending against them but they are on the run. Hussain Haqqani is one example. You will see in future, Ishaq Dar might become another army critic in western media.

Fact is that pro establishment journalists like Shahid Masood are facing jail time, Amir Liaquat is banned every other day, if army was so powerful, things would have been different.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    These people are too naive and ignorant to understand. They are completely clueless of the ground realities, but you cannot blame them either because they have barely any exposure.
    still its abit annoying, how some of these posters go around the forum saying that they have more siyassi shaoor while others dont and at the same time bashing those journalists who gave up there life and peace just so that they could expose the truth to the nation. THe same nation debunks them.

These people probably would had supported Kashhoggis killing aswell.

And what baffles me is the examples they give, and no one has bothered to realize that Najem SEthi was also picked up in the 1999s

Next they would deny the agencies creating MQM

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Syed Saleem Shahzad's book is there for everyone to read

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a mutually beneficial relationship. That's how sharing the inside information works. A journalist does not have as much knowledge as higher intel agencies have on certain issues. So objectively, its the journalist who gains more intel than the intel agencies.
    This mutually beneficial relationship can go beyond mere information exchange. A journalist working with a foreign intel agency will always be looked at with suspicion.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And this is where the army gets bashed

Even if someone is a critic, then bring him to court.

THe Rao Anwar case revolves around this particular point. Extrajudicial killings.

They are illegal. No matter what. Whether you say something against the country or whatever, take them to court.

Thing is, such matters dont go to court and are dealt with a gang of plain clothes people barging into your house taking you away and then shooting you off.

The a missing person report is made.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Believe me if they are brought into court of law and executed, same enlightened souls will tell us that army is in bed with judiciary and how the system is rigged (it has already happened with Nawaz Sharif's sentence). If you want to believe that all powerful big bad army is mother of all evils in this country, you will always find a way to validate your belief.

Also a lot of these critics have cases pending against them but they are on the run. Hussain Haqqani is one example. You will see in future, Ishaq Dar might become another army critic in western media.

Fact is that pro establishment journalists like Shahid Masood are facing jail time, Amir Liaquat is banned every other day, if army was so powerful, things would have been different.
    Civilized countries are increasingly getting repulsed to the whole idea of executing the traitors.
    Secondly, I don't think establishment (which include wide variety of organisations and individuals and not just army) cares about the well being of the Shahid Masoods and Amir Liaquats of Pakistani media. To them they are as expandable as any 'traitor'.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still its abit annoying, how some of these posters go around the forum saying that they have more siyassi shaoor while others dont and at the same time bashing those journalists who gave up there life and peace just so that they could expose the truth to the nation. THe same nation debunks them.

These people probably would had supported Kashhoggis killing aswell.

And what baffles me is the examples they give, and no one has bothered to realize that Najem SEthi was also picked up in the 1999s

Next they would deny the agencies creating MQM
    Najam Sethi was involved with the Baloch separatists in 70s. What baffles me is how he is operating freely till this date.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

THe Rao Anwar case revolves around this particular point. Extrajudicial killings.

They are illegal. No matter what. Whether you say something against the country or whatever, take them to court.

Thing is, such matters dont go to court and are dealt with a gang of plain clothes people barging into your house taking you away and then shooting you off.

Against 'namaaloom Afraad'.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Najam Sethi was involved with the Baloch separatists in 70s. What baffles me is how he is operating freely till this date.
    Rhetoric is not enough to legally prosecute people.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Against 'namaaloom Afraad'.
    yes, the namaloom afraad!

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are thousands of terrorists who have been freed by the courts because of insufficient evidence. People have seen killers of their loved ones released free right in front of them, specially in Karachi. You know the standard of our police who has the responsibility of gathering evidence. Desperate times demand desperate measures and as a result of those measures, terrorism has been reduced drastically.

People should call for judicial and police reforms instead of bashing army as that is the root cause of this issue of extra judicial killing.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole article in OP is based on rhetoric.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This whole article in OP is based on rhetoric.
    I don’t disagree. All op eds are rhetoric of some sorts.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    yes, the namaloom afraad!
    Where do stand on Rao Anwar? Why are the PPP so fond of this murderer?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ufff the irony....

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It wont be mutually beneficial case thn, it will become one sided relationship, where other intel agencies could "leak" any conspiracy theories as "fact" to the journalists to damage the country and create chaos. they will become paid/lifafa journalist in the end.
    or in other cases, they will become president and owner of some new "news" channels.

The Griffins ....

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ufff the irony....
    Both of us can agree that there is a power imbalance between the civilians and the deep state and that there is a situation of perpetual lawlessness in Pakistan. Prosecutorial incapacity is also part of it.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It wont be mutually beneficial case thn, it will become one sided relationship, where other intel agencies could "leak" any conspiracy theories as "fact" to the journalists to damage the country and create chaos. they will become paid/lifafa journalist in the end.
    or in other cases, they will become president and owner of some new "news" channels.
    Its one possibility. However, strong evidence is needed to prosecute such people. The problem is that ppl are too keen to buy the stories that resemble their ideology. So regardless of fake news ppl aren't gonna change.