Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would research in Tissue Engineering suit a Chemical Engineer?

Being in the final year of my Engineering program (Chemical Engineering), I am looking for option of doing masters abroad.
    After having looked at different options, I have decided to go for research masters.
    Having looked at the general trends, the research in chemical engineering is mainly being carried out in inter-disciplinary manner.

So one thing is for sure, I will have to link my major field(chemical engineering), with some other science subject. After having thorough looked at all the options, I have concluded that liking bio-sciences with chemical engineering would be best for me.

I have already studied an elective in Polymers( i.e Fundamental of Polymers Engineering), there is a great need for regenerative tissues these days, and tissue engineering is gaining great importance world wide.So, I have decided that I would use Tissue Engineering as the major topic for the research proposal in my SOP.

The problem though, is that I am worried that if the concepts of biology relating to tissue engineering might be too hard for me to comprehend (as I think I am stepping on an un-chartered territory).

So, if someone has any Idea about tissue Eng or biosciences, I would be extremely pleased if he could guide me.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being a Chemical Engineer myself, I would've asked you not to go ahead with the Bio-Medical division. However, now since you are there, this is a great option (if you want to work after graduating). Tissue Engineering bio is normally quite standard and very high schoolish. If you want to do research or Masters, the Bio-medical field is a lot more than Tissue Engineering. Keep in mind, no matter what your research area is, you can still get a job in other aspects on Chemical Engineering, such as Oil & Gas, Environment, Chemicals, Food industry etc.

My real life base suggestion is: You have done Polymer. Why not apply into Oil & Gas industry and work there instead of doing masters. Masters in Engineering is pretty much for those who want to get into research for the rest of your life. Money isn't in it. Money is in Middle east or energy industry. Apply for work right away and get experience till you get your Professional License. You are gold then. As a masters graduate, you still need experience to get your Engineering Professional License.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzee View Post
    Being a Chemical Engineer myself, I would've asked you not to go ahead with the Bio-Medical division. However, now since you are there, this is a great option (if you want to work after graduating). Tissue Engineering bio is normally quite standard and very high schoolish. If you want to do research or Masters, the Bio-medical field is a lot more than Tissue Engineering. Keep in mind, no matter what your research area is, you can still get a job in other aspects on Chemical Engineering, such as Oil & Gas, Environment, Chemicals, Food industry etc.

My real life base suggestion is: You have done Polymer. Why not apply into Oil & Gas industry and work there instead of doing masters. Masters in Engineering is pretty much for those who want to get into research for the rest of your life. Money isn't in it. Money is in Middle east or energy industry. Apply for work right away and get experience till you get your Professional License. You are gold then. As a masters graduate, you still need experience to get your Engineering Professional License.
    Well I do have Oil & gas sector, as well as MNC's in mind. But I have already consulted quite a few people and they are of the opinion that I should do my Masters first.

Another thing that lays a role in me making this decision is that from what I have scene companies like schlumburger and MOL prefer female employees more (that's what I have heard). I have no Idea about the likes of Halliburton and Conocco Phillips.

I would still be applying for jobs in O&G industries, and the fact that I hold a domicile of Quetta and have studied at NUST, would probably increase my changes of getting into OGDCL (for gaining experience).

Do you have a list of O&G industries that you could suggest me for applying?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean143 View Post
    Well I do have Oil & gas sector, as well as MNC's in mind. But I have already consulted quite a few people and they are of the opinion that I should do my Masters first.

Another thing that lays a role in me making this decision is that from what I have scene companies like schlumburger and MOL prefer female employees more (that's what I have heard). I have no Idea about the likes of Halliburton and Conocco Phillips.

I would still be applying for jobs in O&G industries, and the fact that I hold a domicile of Quetta and have studied at NUST, would probably increase my changes of getting into OGDCL (for gaining experience).

Do you have a list of O&G industries that you could suggest me for applying?
    O&G is more than Schlumberger, Halliburtan. These are drilling companies. You can try companies like Shell and similar ones. Multiple of them are in the middleeast too, something like Adnoc, Taqa, Mubadla, Adco, Adgas, Eppco, OMV, etc.

Apart from that, you can try consulting companies too, like worleyparsons, wood group, amec, jacobs, fluor, etc. So many other there, and they do O&G as well other projects too.

When it comes to Masters, I have always been certain that Masters in Engineering is just useless if you want to join the industry. A better masters would be MBA, where you get the business side of things. I recommend getting some experience before going for MBA though.