Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"I am confident that if I can get a good start, I can convert it into a good innings" : Azhar Ali

Azhar Ali at a presser ahead of the third Test against SA:

"Yes, it looks like a batting track, it has grass and in terms of cracks they will widen up later than they did in the first 2 matches"

"We just want to our best and bring our best game forward"

"When you play well and start dominating the Test match, its always good to be in front of the game in these conditions"

"When you fall behind, its tough to come back and its not easy so I think if you can get in front of the game early, it will be good for us"

"Since last 2 years, I have felt the best [I have felt for a while] when I was batting in the nets and had a decent series against New Zealand and coming into this Test series, I had good confidence as well"

"I was good in the nets and played well in the side game but unfortunately, in the games [Tests] I did not perform"

"But I have one game to play and hopefully I can covert that good touch into performances in the middle [matches]"

"You can feel as good as you want to in nets but I need to transfer that feeling to the middle and I am still confident that if I can get a good start, I can convert that into a good inning"

"There might be changes but its better for the captain and the coach to speak about them"

"There might be some changes based upon the balance of the team which suits this pitch "

"Pace and bounce we knew we would get and also if you ask South African batsmen, they will also say that these wickets were hard [to bat on]"

"The bounce was not even and the cracks were there and it was same for both teams"

"Maybe we didnít perform as well as we could have done although we had the opportunities to do so"

"South Africa bowling attack is very good especially in these conditions"

"All their bowlers bowled at +140KpH apart from Philander but heís quite accurate"

"I think their pace is quite tough [to face] on these kinds of wickets"

"We are obviously disappointed that we didnít win the series"

"Every Test match we play whether its against England, Australia or South Africa is important for us"

"So we will bring our A game tomorrow into this Test match and it will be very good, especially as the tour is still not over yet"

"The ODIs will be a boost for the One-Day side [morale boost if they win]"

"So we are really looking forward to this Test match and doing well in it"

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our captain thinks it's our bowlers fault that we lost the test matches. I am only expecting Yasir dropoed for Shadab ... they might bring in Hassan again for Abbas .. but these guys are untouchables ...

A boat is safe in the harbor. But this is not the purpose of a boat." ~ Paulo Coelho

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well, he still has the last innings of the series, I suppose.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Started his career as a tailender and ending as one too. Needs to be dropped ASAP and should take his buddy Asad with him.

It is lovely that our revolutionary chief selector picked so many spare batsmen in the squad to pick from.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pathetic effort with bat all series, shouldnt be batting number 3 either. Time for him to be dropped.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1894 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    "Yes, it looks like a batting track, it has grass and in terms of cracks they will widen up later than they did in the first 2 matches"

Beautifully elaborated - explains exactly why every PAK fan wanted him to be PAK Captain; first in ODI, then in every format.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post

Beautifully elaborated - explains exactly why every PAK fan wanted him to be PAK Captain; first in ODI, then in every format.
    Good one

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was praying he get out on first bowl and I get my wish useless batsman Pakistan ever produce

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy’s technique and lack of shots was always a problem and age is not on his side either.

I would rather have Shadab bat at number 3 then Azhar.
    He’ll fail for a while but in time will do better then Azhar

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has to rid itself of leeches.

Azhar Ali is long last his expiration date with failing knees, reflexes, and has no mental strength to fall back on.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    dont understand what has happened to him..

However, doesn't deserve to be dropped. Probably a purple patch, needs to get his extended run.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If only he scored those 4 runs in UAE, I bet his mental state would have been different now. Anyway, there is no freakin way Azhar will be dropped. He is still considered a mainstay and just scored hundreds not too long ago. Established batsmen in subcontinent are typically not dropped based on overseas performances. The chief selector didn't have good averages in SA too and he knows full well how tough it is.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    dont understand what has happened to him..

However, doesn't deserve to be dropped. Probably a purple patch, needs to get his extended run.
    You canít be serious.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    If only he scored those 4 runs in UAE, I bet his mental state would have been different now. Anyway, there is no freakin way Azhar will be dropped. He is still considered a mainstay and just scored hundreds not too long ago. Established batsmen in subcontinent are typically not dropped based on overseas performances. The chief selector didn't have good averages in SA too and he knows full well how tough it is.
    Cheif selector scored a match winning 91* at no.8 in 2006/07 vs SA in SA, winning Pakistan the test by 5 wickets eventually.

Check out Pakistan vs South Africa at Port Elizabeth 2007.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have said it always that Azhar Ali has zero impact on a game. Even when he scores, it's thoroughly impactless because he is always overshadowed by someone else performing in the match.

He scores a 200 in Australia and is overshadowed by a Warner assault. Scores a 300 and is overshadowed by Bravo's almost match winning century. Scores a century in that Sharjah chase and people talk about how Sarfraz became the catalyst for that chase by negating Herath. When has he ever stood out?

Despite Asad having a lower average, he is still a much much better batsman than Azhar. And is a superb catcher. At the moment is also the best captain in the team. So he has utility. What does Azhar bring to the team? Useless fielder, captain, batsman.

It is Pakistan's misfortune that the next test series is 8 months away. Everything will be forgotten and Azhar by virtue of being 'senior' will retain his place in the team.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shariqnoor View Post
    Have said it always that Azhar Ali has zero impact on a game. Even when he scores, it's thoroughly impactless because he is always overshadowed by someone else performing in the match.

He scores a 200 in Australia and is overshadowed by a Warner assault. Scores a 300 and is overshadowed by Bravo's almost match winning century. Scores a century in that Sharjah chase and people talk about how Sarfraz became the catalyst for that chase by negating Herath. When has he ever stood out?

Despite Asad having a lower average, he is still a much much better batsman than Azhar. And is a superb catcher. At the moment is also the best captain in the team. So he has utility. What does Azhar bring to the team? Useless fielder, captain, batsman.

It is Pakistan's misfortune that the next test series is 8 months away. Everything will be forgotten and Azhar by virtue of being 'senior' will retain his place in the team.
    Ufff so much truth in one post.

Aag lagadi

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza78 View Post
    I was praying he get out on first bowl and I get my wish useless batsman Pakistan ever produce
    What a bad fan you are!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shariqnoor View Post

Did you just bash Azhar for being "impactless" and praise Asad Shafiq, master of hundreds in lost causes, in the same post? "Best captain in the team", on what basis? When has he showed himself to be a capable captain? I'd rather go with Shan as captain, at least he makes the team on merit, as of now.

Azhar and Asad should both be dropped.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad10 View Post
    Did you just bash Azhar for being "impactless" and praise Asad Shafiq, master of hundreds in lost causes, in the same post? "Best captain in the team", on what basis? When has he showed himself to be a capable captain? I'd rather go with Shan as captain, at least he makes the team on merit, as of now.

Shafiq at his best (which is admittedly rare) can be a dominant player with plenty of shots against the pacers. He is defensive and mentally weak, but not exactly a strokeless wonder.

On the other hand, apart from one fluke innings against Sri Lanka in Sharjah, Azhar has never shown any ability to dominate the opposition.

He needs to be dropped with immediate effect, but I think Shafiq can be carried for another year.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has followed the path of Vijay, sad to see a good test opener fail like this.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Shafiq at his best (which is admittedly rare) can be a dominant player with plenty of shots against the pacers. He is defensive and mentally weak, but not exactly a strokeless wonder.

On the other hand, apart from one fluke innings against Sri Lanka in Sharjah, Azhar has never shown any ability to dominate the opposition.

He needs to be dropped with immediate effect, but I think Shafiq can be carried for another year.
    Yes, he's always had ability, but he's generally been a soft, unevolving player and is approaching his mid thirties. Anyway, he'll probably remain a constant in our team for now, after all, he's had the luxury of playing 69 Tests on the trot.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He will only perform if he opens. He's a player who's only comfortable in his bubble. As an opener, he doesn't have to worry about runs, run rate, taking charge etc. He just has to bat time and that's what he's most comfortable with. The runs come naturally when he bats in that bubble.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    He will only perform if he opens. He's a player who's only comfortable in his bubble. As an opener, he doesn't have to worry about runs, run rate, taking charge etc. He just has to bat time and that's what he's most comfortable with. The runs come naturally when he bats in that bubble.
    He is past it.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Azhar deserves all the criticism headed his way but to say he is not a good test batsman is a lie. He has been a good servant to Pakistan's test team and has made some gusty runs against all odds. I am rooting for him to come good in the second inning as class eventually will rise to the top.......

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFM View Post
    He is past it.
    Yeah, it will appear that way but grinders can play a lot longer than strokemakers.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am losing patience with azhar now. He should not have edged that ball.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    In some ways Azhar's performance on this tour is more disappointing. Asad's performance in adversity is well established. Whereas Azhar's been able to soak up pressure for long periods in the past. Also feel he should be opening and shan one-down

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a lot of people here would like to see Azhar opening the batting but trust me, outside of Asia, he would be as bad as he is batting at number three or four...

His technique is shot to pieces and was exposed badly in the recent series against England...
    He moves across his stumps and falls over every time and I don’t think he can fix this at this age.
    He may be able to grind out a century here or there in the UAE where the wickets are so low and slow but he’s literally a walking wicket everywhere else.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad10 View Post

I said Asad is a much much better batsman than Azhar. If Azhar is a 1/10, Asad is a 4/10. Doesn't mean 4 is very good.

And Asad has captained temporarily. I think he did it on the Australia game when Sarfraz was injured and didn't take the field on one the days. He was pretty sharp and proactive. I'm not against the concept of making Shan the captain, but to be honest, Shan has still not secured his place in the team. Let him have a good one day series and then it can be thought of.