Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"To score against South Africa, you have to be at your very best" : Imam-ul-Haq

Opening batsman Imam-ul-Haq has insisted Pakistan will not lack motivation, come the third and final Test against South Africa, which will get under way at the Wanderers on Friday.

Defeats in the first Test at SuperSport Park in Centurion and second at Newlands in Cape Town have seen Paksitan concede the series. A three-nil whitewash, though, can be avoided in Johannesburg.

‘We lost the series, we know that, but the last match is very important for us because we have to make a statement as we have been working very hard for the last two months,’ said Imam, who is the nephew of former captain and current chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq.

‘We have learnt a lot. Some guys have had some good innings in the two Test matches. We are still working hard on it and hopefully we will do better in the last Test.’

The 23-year-old left-hander scored zero and 57 in the first match and eight and six in the second. He has not fallen to one bowler more than once, instead affording Vernon Philander, Dale Steyn, Duanne Olivier and Kagiso Rabada his dismissal each.

‘To score against South Africa, you have to be at your very best, mentally strong and prepare well. The wickets are so difficult here. It is very difficult to start on, but when you do get a start it is easier,’ he added.

‘Before coming here I knew it was not going to be easy, but it is all about the hard work you do in the net sessions.’

https://www.sacricketmag.com/mental-...ey-for-ul-haq/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Or have chachu as chief selector, then you don't have to worry about such trivial things as making runs.

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chaiwala

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imam needs to be taken out of the spotlight. The fact he is Inzis nephew doesn't help. People are rightly saying he is in the team due to nepotism. He is being picked in tests and ODIs despite being in pathetic form. The critiscm and the consistent exposure isn't very easy to recover from mentally.

Inzi isn't helping his nephew out at all.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

"...who is the nephew of former captain and current chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq."

Writer making sure everyone knows.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Id love to see if imam is practicing his slashing to the slips shot in nets as it seems to be his favourite shot.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's shown he is capable of playing good innings, he's only young, let's see how he does in the 3rd test.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Imam needs to be taken out of the spotlight. The fact he is Inzis nephew doesn't help. People are rightly saying he is in the team due to nepotism. He is being picked in tests and ODIs despite being in pathetic form. The critiscm and the consistent exposure isn't very easy to recover from mentally.

Inzi isn't helping his nephew out at all.
    He made it difficult the moment he introduced him to international cricket when he hardly had any exposure or runs to back him up at domestic level.

Best thing for Imam now is to send him back to domestic let him play a year or 2, see how he performs and if he's good enough he will be selected on merit. Keeping him in the team like this will grow even more dislike for him from the fans and will do his own mental state no good.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was selected for both the ODI and Test team boasting an average of:

33.73 in 45 FC matches. 4 100's, 14 50's.
    33.73 in 30 List A matches. 1 100, 7 50's.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iPakistani View Post

Whereas players like Usman Salahuddin, Abid Ali, Saud Shakeel, Saad Ali, Fawad Alam are all sat on the sidelines even though their domestic stats are levels above Imam's.

I see alot of potential in Imam but him being selected like this atleast in the test side is not fair to everyone else grinding it out in domestic for no reward.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

‘To score against South Africa, you have to be at your very best, mentally strong and prepare well. The wickets are so difficult here. It is very difficult to start on, but when you do get a start it is easier,’ he added.

https://www.sacricketmag.com/mental-...ey-for-ul-haq/
    Pitches seem even more difficult to bat on when you are incompetent

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whereas players like Usman Salahuddin, Abid Ali, Saud Shakeel, Saad Ali, Fawad Alam are all sat on the sidelines even though their domestic stats are levels above Imam's.

I see alot of potential in Imam but him being selected like this atleast in the test side is not fair to everyone else grinding it out in domestic for no reward.
    Yes but those players you mentioned are middle order batsmen, not openers, which is an area we are really struggling in. Imam got a chance because of lack of alternatives, in the series before his debut, the openers were Sami Aslam and Shan Masood, who were both struggling, obviously Masood has improved incredibly in the last few months but he was rubbish back then, and Sami Aslam was struggling too.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your best is not good enough Imam

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imam is talented but he's been picked out of turn. In the long run that will negatively impact his career. Once Inzamam is gone, Imam will be dropped. It will be the easiest decision any new selector makes and will have the backing of every fan. From then on no matter what Imam does he will always be considered a product of nepotism. Inzamam is doing a great disservice to Pakistan and his nephew.

Many Pakistanis moaned about Faisal Iqbal and Bazid Khan. To be honest they should have both played more for Pakistan. But once it was established that they had connections, it hurt them in the long run.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Or have chachu as chief selector, then you don't have to worry about such trivial things as making runs.
    Not always true #AsadShafiq

Anyways, Imam needs to shut up and score runs.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should expect Shan Masood to open with Fakhar in the ODI series but won't be surprised to see him coming in No.3 with Fakhar and Imam opening.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeymurBlake View Post
    Should expect Shan Masood to open with Fakhar in the ODI series but won't be surprised to see him coming in No.3 with Fakhar and Imam opening.
    Can’t wait for Saad, Shaqeel, Rizwan and Saud to start.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snak3eye5 View Post
    Can’t wait for Saad, Shaqeel, Rizwan and Saud to start.
    Don't think they will do. Babar, Hafeez and Malik will be the middle order.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imam is a good kid and I expect him to bounce back. Let’s not forget we were carrying Ahmed Shehzad when Imam came in to the team. He earned his call up and anyone who thinks otherwise is literally an airhead

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeymurBlake View Post
    They surely won't change the batting order of Pakistan's best batsman and one of the best in the World 'Babar Azam' for either Imam or Shan, only one should play and on current form it should be Shan Masood.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan Pro View Post
    They surely won't change the batting order of Pakistan's best batsman and one of the best in the World 'Babar Azam' for either Imam or Shan, only one should play and on current form it should be Shan Masood.
    I actually hadn't thought of that, maybe they might move Fakhar to 6 or move Shan to No.4. I personally don't want Imam to play but you never know.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Aussieland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he means he will not perform in the next test either so don't have high hopes..atleast he is honest that he is a dud

Yesterday is the past.Tomorrow is the future.Today is a gift.That's why it's called the "present"

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Stats are irrelevant, He was selected pure based on his surname

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    These guys need to shutup & perform

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hardly see our batsmen performing well at all.The best chance they had was at newlands.

This is Jo'burg,possibly the hardest for batting.This is the ground where we folded for 49.I dont see anybody scoring here.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Patriot View Post
    I hardly see our batsmen performing well at all.The best chance they had was at newlands.

This is Jo'burg,possibly the hardest for batting.This is the ground where we folded for 49.I dont see anybody scoring here.
    I read they're preparing a dry-ish pitch to make up for the poor rating they received last year against India. Best chance for us to win a game atr Wanderers and time for Shadab to play!

My team -

Imam
    Shan
    Azhar
    Asad
    Babar
    Sarfraz
    Faheem
    Shadab
    Amir
    Hasan
    Abbas

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandarchowka View Post
    I read they're preparing a dry-ish pitch to make up for the poor rating they received last year against India. Best chance for us to win a game atr Wanderers and time for Shadab to play!

My team -

Imam
    Shan
    Azhar
    Asad
    Babar
    Sarfraz
    Faheem
    Shadab
    Amir
    Hasan
    Abbas
    That is good news but you are still underestimating our batting.
    They have an incredible talent of collapsing even if they are batting on a highway.

Btw,why have you not included Shaheen.Is that because of some rumors about his fitness floating around?Because otherwise,with his height he might generate more bounce and be a handful.He hasnt been bad either in the first 2 matches.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is good news but you are still underestimating our batting.
    They have an incredible talent of collapsing even if they are batting on a highway.

Btw,why have you not included Shaheen.Is that because of some rumors about his fitness floating around?Because otherwise,with his height he might generate more bounce and be a handful.He hasnt been bad either in the first 2 matches.
    I feel Shaheen has been rushed into test cricket. He should go and play some counties/first class back home. He gets tired and loses pace quickly by second spell. He's been quite disappointing in the first two tests. Hasan is clearly better at this moment. Hasan can add some useful runs too.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandarchowka View Post
    I feel Shaheen has been rushed into test cricket. He should go and play some counties/first class back home. He gets tired and loses pace quickly by second spell. He's been quite disappointing in the first two tests. Hasan is clearly better at this moment. Hasan can add some useful runs too.
    I second you on this.i believe that the PCB does not manage players well and we end up losing good players who might have gone on to be great if handled well.

But still our pace department is very mediocre,with Abbas not being his usual self coming right after an injury and Amir,even though has picked wickets hasn't been threatning enough.Hasan bowls well but for every good bowl he bowls 3-4 erratic ones,releasing all the pressure.Which is why i personally feel Shaheen might be better.He can play the last and then perhaps be rested.We dont have any tests coming up for another 10 months or so,anyways.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I second you on this.i believe that the PCB does not manage players well and we end up losing good players who might have gone on to be great if handled well.

But still our pace department is very mediocre,with Abbas not being his usual self coming right after an injury and Amir,even though has picked wickets hasn't been threatning enough.Hasan bowls well but for every good bowl he bowls 3-4 erratic ones,releasing all the pressure.Which is why i personally feel Shaheen might be better.He can play the last and then perhaps be rested.We dont have any tests coming up for another 10 months or so,anyways.
    True but Shaheen is still very raw. I feel Hasan can deliver it with the ball as Shaheen failed to do so in the last 2 games. Amir, Hasan, Abbas are all different bowlers and will be effective together as a group, I think.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    He's shown he is capable of playing good innings, he's only young, let's see how he does in the 3rd test.
    now there is no pressure so he should perform

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Doing ok this morning but can he get a big score?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out for 43. I think 2nd innings is his last chance to impress. If he fails then he should be worried. If he does good then he probably earns another series