User Tag List

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terence Crawford v Amir Khan: Briton agrees shot at WBO world welterweight champion

Amir Khan has agreed to face undefeated WBO world welterweight champion Terence Crawford in the US on 20 April.

Khan, 32, returned to boxing last April after 23 months away from the sport and secured two wins in 2018.

The Briton had an offer to face domestic rival Kell Brook in a bout, which his team had said would prove more financially rewarding.

But he will instead be a heavy underdog against 31-year-old Crawford, who has held world titles in three divisions.

A news conference is due to take place early next week to outline a venue, either in New York or Las Vegas. Both are cities in which Khan has boxed before - this time, though, he will go up against an American widely regarded as one of the sport's best pound-for-pound fighters.

Khan picks one of world's best

Omaha-born Crawford has held world titles at lightweight, super-lightweight and welterweight, and has already been installed as 1-10 favourite with some bookmakers.

More notably, he was an undisputed champion at super-lightweight in 2017 when he overcame Julius Indongo to hold all four world titles in the division.

He moved up to the 147lb welterweight class to take his current title from Australia's Jeff Horn in June, and his most recent stoppage win over Jose Benavidez Jr in October took his record to 25 knockouts from 34 wins.

Brook to switch to Smith?

Khan has been criticised for avoiding Brook but has always insisted he hoped to pursue world titles upon returning to the sport and this challenge - albeit fraught with difficulty - offers such a chance.

Negotiations between Khan and Brook had dragged on, with Khan insisting any deal included a rehydration clause that would have prevented his rival from gaining excessive weight following any weigh in.

Khan's move now leaves Brook, 32, without an obvious opponent and undoubtedly disappointed given both he and his team had agreed to demands having pursued the lucrative bout in recent years.

Some have suggested Khan believes a meeting with Brook will still be available to him after he faces Crawford, though Eddie Hearn - who promotes both fighters - has publicly said negotiations had reached a stage where it was "now or never".

Brook will need to look elsewhere. Perhaps tellingly, former light-middleweight world champion Liam Smith raised his name as a potential opponent when he switched to the same promotional team earlier in the week.

Khan has faced disapproval in some quarters for his September points win over Samuel Vargas, where he was knocked down before recovering to take his record to 33 wins and four defeats.

And Crawford, who boxes from the tricky southpaw stance, represents a huge step up as Khan bids to become a world champion for a second time having held titles at super-lightweight between 2009 and 2011.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/46850643

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very interesting fight. I think Khan has made the right decision, you dont get an opportunity to win a world title very often esp since he's not been an A lister for a while. Crawford is strong favourite but if Khan can last the distance, not many boxers can beat him on points.
    @shaz619 Will Brook ever get his big pay day now?

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Very interesting fight. I think Khan has made the right decision, you dont get an opportunity to win a world title very often esp since he's not been an A lister for a while. Crawford is strong favourite but if Khan can last the distance, not many boxers can beat him on points.
    What is sad is Khan fought no fight for 2 years when he was at his peak age. I always supported him but I feel he is very badly outmatched here, he can box but he can't keep his discipline.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    What is sad is Khan fought no fight for 2 years when he was at his peak age. I always supported him but I feel he is very badly outmatched here, he can box but he can't keep his discipline.
    He injured his hand but imo the brutal knockout against Canelo was also a major factor. When you have made so much money, held the world title and then get hurt it would lose your motivation. He also went thought issues in his personal life. Yes he will be a strong underdog but in boxing if you have the skill and fitness, there is always a chance you can upset the odds.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That's a proper fight for khan. He doesn't mind the big boys does he

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He injured his hand but imo the brutal knockout against Canelo was also a major factor. When you have made so much money, held the world title and then get hurt it would lose your motivation. He also went thought issues in his personal life. Yes he will be a strong underdog but in boxing if you have the skill and fitness, there is always a chance you can upset the odds.
    I hope so, I want him to win everytime anyway. He has had great hands, only if he can keep up the discipline. His fight aganinst Kotelnik is how he should always fight.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    It is the right decision looking at it in pure boxing terms, people keep talking about the Brook fight and how he will make more money but I don't even believe that is entirely true; number one that fight is not worth as much no more and number two Amir will not be sharing the spoils of British PPV with anyone else when he faces Crawford so he will make around about the same in America if not more. Eddie failed to do his job and thought he could get Khan on the cheap. But in the end regardless, with an opportunity like this presenting itself in this moment Amir was never going to face Brook. The Crawford fight may not be there, you get fights these days when you're not looking so good to entice fighters so if Amir was to beat Kell there's no guarantee he would be facing Crawford later on in 2019.

Whether Amir gets sparked in 1 round or round 12, the Brook fight will always be there; heck why wouldn't it, Eddie booked Whyte / Chisora on PPV ! at least Amir and Kell are former world champions even if they are past it, people would still want to see the fight once it was booked and it still holds value which is why I believe it will still happen at some point.

It was a no Brainer, Crawford is P4P the best fighter on the planet and majority of rankings will have him in their top 2 at the very least. There's so much at stake, a world title, a P4P title and beating Crawford would cement Amir's status as a bondafide all time great and if he's looking decent even in a loss it is still a win win for him.

However, I never thought I'd say this but Amir's best chance of winning the fight is landing a hail mary ! I don't believe he will be able to out box Crawford over 12 rounds or win on points. The most likely result is that he will be stopped and am afraid that will happen, Crawford has that killer's instinct, he can punch, he can box, he can fight out of southpaw and orthodox, someone who will be able to compete with Amir for speed, has amazing footwork and a bigger reach then Amir as well. AK may win some rounds but Crawford will largely dominate him.

Khan was dropped by a simple 1-2 in Birmingham in the static position, normally you need to be punching with him to land a clean blow but I have never seen that before so that tells me his reflex's are gone. On top of that Vargas is not the biggest puncher but Amir was seriously hurt by that knockdown but saved by the bell, he made the same old mistake of getting up to fast as well, then he got caught in the final 1/4 of the fight trying to move away; made the same old mistakes defensively and at his age is going to be even more susceptible now. He doesn't glide anymore either, the lateral movement isn't effortless and his engine isn't there, he was trying to bob and weave in the corner many times during that fight which is not his style. I know that was his first 12 rounder in 4 years but still.

I just think Crawford is going to brutally knock him out, but nothing but respect for an incredible career. I would want him to retire immediately after that personally but he will carry on trying to leave the sport on a high like many boxer's past it and go on longer then they should.

From Crawford's POV it's a great fight for him and it says something that even this version of Amir will be his toughest test in his career and also be the chance to get himself some global and national exposure.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    Wow. That's a proper fight for khan. He doesn't mind the big boys does he
    Errol Spence and Thurman have gone out of their way to avoid Crawford. Danny Garcia was also offered seriously good money to face Crawford but he said no @KingKhan , this is why Amir is respected so much globally and especially in the USA and Mexico, the man will take on any of the big guns and some of the most avoided fighters in the division, and while he has dealt with some defeats he has also found great success taking such risks against someone like a Maidana and Devon Alexander for example to name a few. In life, you need to challenge yourself sometimes, it's the only way to have a shot at victory and while you will fail at times you will also succeed, that possibility wont exist if you just stay in a comfort zone, e.g Kell Brook on Jeremy Kyle talk show recently:

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir basically has to knock Crawford out inside 2 rounds, he canít last any longer than that.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Check this out for those who have not watched much of Crawford, that was his best win and performance at 140 lb for me against a world class fighter who would have done well even during Amir's era at 140

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Amir really needs to win this to leave a legacy...
    Last edited by gazza619; 13th January 2019 at 01:51.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Errol Spence and Thurman have gone out of their way to avoid Crawford. Danny Garcia was also offered seriously good money to face Crawford but he said no @KingKhan , this is why Amir is respected so much globally and especially in the USA and Mexico, the man will take on any of the big guns and some of the most avoided fighters in the division, and while he has dealt with some defeats he has also found great success taking such risks against someone like a Maidana and Devon Alexander for example to name a few. In life, you need to challenge yourself sometimes, it's the only way to have a shot at victory and while you will fail at times you will also succeed, that possibility wont exist if you just stay in a comfort zone, e.g Kell Brook on Jeremy Kyle talk show recently:

Lol

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be a good fight. Khan doesnít really stand a chance though. He will trouble Crawford for a while but then get finished I think.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    It is the right decision looking at it in pure boxing terms, people keep talking about the Brook fight and how he will make more money but I don't even believe that is entirely true; number one that fight is not worth as much no more and number two Amir will not be sharing the spoils of British PPV with anyone else when he faces Crawford so he will make around about the same in America if not more. Eddie failed to do his job and thought he could get Khan on the cheap. But in the end regardless, with an opportunity like this presenting itself in this moment Amir was never going to face Brook. The Crawford fight may not be there, you get fights these days when you're not looking so good to entice fighters so if Amir was to beat Kell there's no guarantee he would be facing Crawford later on in 2019.

Whether Amir gets sparked in 1 round or round 12, the Brook fight will always be there; heck why wouldn't it, Eddie booked Whyte / Chisora on PPV ! at least Amir and Kell are former world champions even if they are past it, people would still want to see the fight once it was booked and it still holds value which is why I believe it will still happen at some point.

It was a no Brainer, Crawford is P4P the best fighter on the planet and majority of rankings will have him in their top 2 at the very least. There's so much at stake, a world title, a P4P title and beating Crawford would cement Amir's status as a bondafide all time great and if he's looking decent even in a loss it is still a win win for him.

However, I never thought I'd say this but Amir's best chance of winning the fight is landing a hail mary ! I don't believe he will be able to out box Crawford over 12 rounds or win on points. The most likely result is that he will be stopped and am afraid that will happen, Crawford has that killer's instinct, he can punch, he can box, he can fight out of southpaw and orthodox, someone who will be able to compete with Amir for speed, has amazing footwork and a bigger reach then Amir as well. AK may win some rounds but Crawford will largely dominate him.

Khan was dropped by a simple 1-2 in Birmingham in the static position, normally you need to be punching with him to land a clean blow but I have never seen that before so that tells me his reflex's are gone. On top of that Vargas is not the biggest puncher but Amir was seriously hurt by that knockdown but saved by the bell, he made the same old mistake of getting up to fast as well, then he got caught in the final 1/4 of the fight trying to move away; made the same old mistakes defensively and at his age is going to be even more susceptible now. He doesn't glide anymore either, the lateral movement isn't effortless and his engine isn't there, he was trying to bob and weave in the corner many times during that fight which is not his style. I know that was his first 12 rounder in 4 years but still.

I just think Crawford is going to brutally knock him out, but nothing but respect for an incredible career. I would want him to retire immediately after that personally but he will carry on trying to leave the sport on a high like many boxer's past it and go on longer then they should.

From Crawford's POV it's a great fight for him and it says something that even this version of Amir will be his toughest test in his career and also be the chance to get himself some global and national exposure.
    The Brook fight will be there unless Amir wins, then it's over. Brook hasn't really made the huge money in boxing as others have and he's lucky he has Amir to help him out.

You've pretty much summed it up as to why Crawford is strong favourite. I think Amir has a few things in his locker he can call upon to counter him. His conditioning needs to improve massively from his last fight and there is no reason he can't be ripped and feel strong with hard work in the camp. Although Crawford has a slight reach advantage, Amir is slightly taller and will possibly be much heavier on fight night. Crawford not being a big man, Amir imo should try to outbox him from range by throwing combinations in order to win rounds. Both fighters will hit each other, Amir has to do it 2 to 3 X more in order to win fight and these shots don't have to be power shots. I think his last performance wasn't his best but at the same time I think people are underating Vargas who is in great shape and fought with some heart. Amir is 32 so should be able to regain his fitness and strength if he works hard. Sure the brutal KO to Canelo puts milage on the body and worry on the mind but Crawford has nowhere near that power and Amir imo will not be knocked out clean. He might go down and the ref might stop it but this will be late on.

I think Amir has a 30% to pull this off if he trains well. If he does then he will go down as a future hall of famer.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    The Brook fight will be there unless Amir wins, then it's over. Brook hasn't really made the huge money in boxing as others have and he's lucky he has Amir to help him out.

You've pretty much summed it up as to why Crawford is strong favourite. I think Amir has a few things in his locker he can call upon to counter him. His conditioning needs to improve massively from his last fight and there is no reason he can't be ripped and feel strong with hard work in the camp. Although Crawford has a slight reach advantage, Amir is slightly taller and will possibly be much heavier on fight night. Crawford not being a big man, Amir imo should try to outbox him from range by throwing combinations in order to win rounds. Both fighters will hit each other, Amir has to do it 2 to 3 X more in order to win fight and these shots don't have to be power shots. I think his last performance wasn't his best but at the same time I think people are underating Vargas who is in great shape and fought with some heart. Amir is 32 so should be able to regain his fitness and strength if he works hard. Sure the brutal KO to Canelo puts milage on the body and worry on the mind but Crawford has nowhere near that power and Amir imo will not be knocked out clean. He might go down and the ref might stop it but this will be late on.

I think Amir has a 30% to pull this off if he trains well. If he does then he will go down as a future hall of famer.
    I agree with everything you say and Vargas is under rated in that sense especially since he came to fight with a full camp behind him and treated the bout like he was competing for the world title, and while Khan did ok after the lay off I just feel some of the mistakes he was making were glaring at this stage in his career and I thought to myself that is all that it would take if he was against one of the top guys at 147. 30% is about right and if we ignore all the strengths Crawford has then we can say that Amir ought to cause some issues with his speed and his success against southpaws will help although Crawford is a switch hitter but he has largely fought out of the southpaw stance in recent times and perhaps he will not want to switch as much against someone with quick hands. If the Amir which fought Alexander shows up we're in for a treat and in many ways that would ideally be the blue print for Amir to use, but Alexander didn't have feet like Crawford or has his power and ring generalship but they are a bit similar in their technical approach.

Command over range will be key here, Amir needs to avoid those body shots because he is going to get attacked from the word go; it is the text book game plan to beat Amir and Crawford is a great body puncher and it can be tricky to avoid with his long arms and brilliant footwork, Amir will need insane strength/conditioning because to stand a chance his legs will need to so much work, he can keep Crawford off with his jab but can he glide away each time after a combination for 12 rounds is the question ? you make a good point on his size, but because I don't feel as if his conditioning and reflex's is up there along with Crawford's boxing ability he should perhaps overwhelm Crawford with his size early on and try to stop him? Crawford is also known to be a slow starter, but this is obviously very risky.

I'd say command over range will decide the fight very early on, for Khan his goal should be to avoid the body shots and especially be on red alert for looping power punches. Whatever anyone has to say, this fight is one which I'd love to see over Brook and it's so much more interesting.
    Last edited by shaz619; 13th January 2019 at 18:04.