Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What are the rules about bringing cell phone to Pakistan

If you are a non-resident Pakistani and visiting Pakistan then what are the rules for bringing cell phone with you? Here are the scenarios:

1. You are bringing 1 used cell phone with a foreign SIM. (your personal)
    2. You are bringing 2 used cell phones with foreign SIMs (one is your personal and one is from your job).
    3. You are bringing 1 used cell phone with a foreign SIM (your personal) and 1 new cell phone with no SIM (to give as a gift).
    4. You are bringing 1 used cell phone with a foreign SIM (your personal) and 1 used cell phone with no SIM (to give as a gift).

Do you have to register them with government? Also do you have to pay taxes?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A person is allowed 1 personal phone duty free, and upto a maximum of 5 phone per year under their names. So First set is free, the others you have to pay tax on no matter what status you give to the phone (personal, business, gift, sale). They will jot down imei of the phones brought in, and they will only work if registered with the imei numbers and having paid the duty.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh? There are rules for bringing 2-3 phones only?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reversehook View Post
    A person is allowed 1 personal phone duty free, and upto a maximum of 5 phone per year under their names. So First set is free, the others you have to pay tax on no matter what status you give to the phone (personal, business, gift, sale). They will jot down imei of the phones brought in, and they will only work if registered with the imei numbers and having paid the duty.
    Thanks. Do you know how much is the duty/tax? Want to know if it would be cheaper to buy a new cell phone from Pakistan and give it as a gift instead of bringing a cell phone with you and pay duty/tax.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Thanks. Do you know how much is the duty/tax? Want to know if it would be cheaper to buy a new cell phone from Pakistan and give it as a gift instead of bringing a cell phone with you and pay duty/tax.
    From what I have heard so far, its on the higher side and depends on which phone (value) you bring in. There were lots of complaints about the taxation and the process is lengthy as well and there is a lot of GREY on the whole process. Also, there are talks of reducing the tax amount plus other relaxations, but that's yet to be seen as to what materializes from it.

This whole thing has been done for 2 reasons.

1. Safety/terrorism: when a phone isnt registered you wont be able to use it. And every phone will be traced by imei with registration of nadra card. So even if you report ur mobile stolen it will be deactivated and become useless to the new holder. So theft, mobile snatching, terrorism usage will go down.

2. Ppl bring in phones and sell them or even if they gift them, it affects the market, and deprives the economy.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reversehook View Post
    From what I have heard so far, its on the higher side and depends on which phone (value) you bring in. There were lots of complaints about the taxation and the process is lengthy as well and there is a lot of GREY on the whole process. Also, there are talks of reducing the tax amount plus other relaxations, but that's yet to be seen as to what materializes from it.

This whole thing has been done for 2 reasons.

1. Safety/terrorism: when a phone isnt registered you wont be able to use it. And every phone will be traced by imei with registration of nadra card. So even if you report ur mobile stolen it will be deactivated and become useless to the new holder. So theft, mobile snatching, terrorism usage will go down.

2. Ppl bring in phones and sell them or even if they gift them, it affects the market, and deprives the economy.
    are there any web sites where I can check the prices of cell phones in Pakistan? looks like the best option is to buy cell phone from Pakistan and then give it as a gift

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    are there any web sites where I can check the prices of cell phones in Pakistan? looks like the best option is to buy cell phone from Pakistan and then give it as a gift
    For up to date mobile phones prices:

https://m.whatmobile.com.pk

For in depth detail on the registration process and eligibility:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1451019

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    For up to date mobile phones prices:

https://m.whatmobile.com.pk

For in depth detail on the registration process and eligibility:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1451019
    Thanks. The taxes look too high. If I am bringing a 1000 US$ phone i.e. 139,000 Rs then the total taxes would be 51,000 Rs thats like 37%

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Thanks. The taxes look too high. If I am bringing a 1000 US$ phone i.e. 139,000 Rs then the total taxes would be 51,000 Rs thats like 37%
    Naya Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Naya Pakistan.
    Perfect.

Every country has regulations on imports.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slipcatch View Post
    Perfect.

Every country has regulations on imports.
    But it's just 2-3 mobiles for personal use. Not mass import.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we use the term overseas Pakistani instead of "non-resident Pakistani"? Lets not try to copy Indians.

"Peace is only made with the powerful"

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    But it's just 2-3 mobiles for personal use. Not mass import.
    Not sure why you need 3 personal mobile phones.

The new law of brining only one personal phone makes sense. There are people from the UK who take half a dozens phones and sell them in Pakistan. Usually these phones are stolen phones which are blocked in the UK but work overseas.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious how this new tax system works? At what point will you be asked to pay tax? In all my travels customs have never checked my luggage when entering Pakistan so I really doubt they can stop people from bringing in multiple phones (not talking about people who bring large quantities to sell but normal people who might bring a few as gifts or for personal use).

Will you be asked to pay duty when registering the imei because otherwise I am not sure how they will implement this?

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Not sure why you need 3 personal mobile phones.

The new law of brining only one personal phone makes sense. There are people from the UK who take half a dozens phones and sell them in Pakistan. Usually these phones are stolen phones which are blocked in the UK but work overseas.
    Quite a few UK Taxi drivers will go bankrupt.
    Most rely on an annual bonus by taking phones left in their cabs, switching them off immediately (to stop them being blocked) and then taking them to Pakistan to sell to the traders.
    I know one who takes 30- 40 a year to Pakistan.

Pakistan Cricket: Exciting, Entertaining, Unpredictable, Dangerous and Unique.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For now they have changed the rules.

Your phone will be automatically registered if its working on a local network till 15th Jan 2019.

After that the taxation policy will be implemented.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Patriot View Post
    For now they have changed the rules.

Your phone will be automatically registered if its working on a local network till 15th Jan 2019.

After that the taxation policy will be implemented.
    If people are that in to illegal activities, they can just take a non working mobile and change the imei of the new phone copying from the old one. Those imei are hard coded but you can change it if you know the protocol.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    If people are that in to illegal activities, they can just take a non working mobile and change the imei of the new phone copying from the old one. Those imei are hard coded but you can change it if you know the protocol.
    I am not sure how this works tbh,but what about the people who bring phones in a bulk amount from abroad and sell them here.
    The amount of taxation on just one set is astounding.
    This will lead lots of dealers to bankruptcy and not everybody knows the protocol or even if is aware can not sit and apply it 40-50 sets together.