Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Shoaib Malik's batting in ODIs since the start of 2018: average 29, strike-rate 77

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Such a rubbish players should not be playing in PCT let alone be captaining ×1000
    shame on you chief selector.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was doing well from 2016-2018, I wonder what happened?

Did we start playing more games against the top teams in this period? I recall we had a lot of easy freebies against Zimbabwe, and games in Pakistan for him to feast on.

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The problem is they have not given others a proper chance to stake a claim and now will throw some guys in and give them one or two matches to perform, which is ridiculous and lacks forward-thinking and planning.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would love to know why Inzi selects a player with these numbers.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not good enough to be in the playing XI for the WC, infact he was the only player in CT winning XI who had no role for us in winning that tournament.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malik is another selfish player who never drops himself from the team to give others a chance expect him to play the last 2 matches instead he should rest and give Saad or someone else a chance.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sad part is majority of cricket enthusiast have been saying that Malik is a garbage player and should be replaced. But Inzimam did not drop Malik to give anyone else a chance at his spot and now we are in deep trouble. In any case if I was Ehsan Mani I would ensure we don't select Malik in the WC squad as whoever replaces him has 100% chance of performing better than him (to be honest not so difficult).

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    He was doing well from 2016-2018, I wonder what happened?

Did we start playing more games against the top teams in this period? I recall we had a lot of easy freebies against Zimbabwe, and games in Pakistan for him to feast on.
    Probably old age - on paper he's 37 however he could even be 2-3 years older than that.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...-discrepancies

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...lik-s-real-age

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's gonna be the Younis Khan of this World Cup

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am not in favour of Malik in the team. I rather have Ahmed Shehzad who at least scores big when he gets a start.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    I am not in favour of Malik in the team. I rather have Ahmed Shehzad who at least scores big when he gets a start.
    Is this what Pakistan cricket has come to a few months before a world cup, crying out for the return of tuk tuk TTF's

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Is this what Pakistan cricket has come to a few months before a world cup, crying out for the return of tuk tuk TTF's
    I rather have a guy who can potentially score 100 (120 balls) not someone who only gets 31 (50 balls)

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malik is there to ensure we finish off games against the minnow level teams. This is important
    He will also do well Vs Indian spinners, again very important
    He would stay in my team

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cant believe majority wanted him to be captain in WC and were praising him in full flow.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol this thread has been alive for 10 years.

He's a poor player that would have been dropped long time ago under any other country.

The connections this guy has is ridiculous. Not to mention the lack of self respect this guy has, if you're forcing your way into the side at least put some effort into improving your game.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Would take a brainless Umar Akmal or Asif Ali over him any day. At least if they click, they'll go some way to winning Pakistan the match.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsalan Pro View Post
    Not good enough to be in the playing XI for the WC, infact he was the only player in CT winning XI who had no role for us in winning that tournament.
    As per some, he had the biggest role to play because he 'inspired' the team with his motivational talks

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In Asia' cup it was Malik who saved and won game against Afghanistan. He will and is good to score a decent 50 to 100 runs I world cup games. He should stay

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what is Malik's averages playing in England? What about his
    averages playing England in England?

Has Inzi or Mickey arthur looked at his averages? or are they going of
    performances against minnows?

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp812 View Post
    In Asia' cup it was Malik who saved and won game against Afghanistan. He will and is good to score a decent 50 to 100 runs I world cup games. He should stay
    and that's all he's good for, minnows.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point it's frustrating we have persisted with him for a long time with no performance, what do we do make changes last minute before the world cup. He should have been sacked the latest after the South Africa series so the replacement brought in could have 5 Australia ODI's, 5 England ODIs, 5 practise matches under his belt.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batfirst View Post
    I wonder what is Malik's averages playing in England? What about his
    averages playing England in England?

Has Inzi or Mickey arthur looked at his averages? or are they going of
    performances against minnows?

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And then we're surprised why we're always collapsing

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malik, Rizwan, Shaan need to go. Hafeez, Asif Ali should come in as replacements, Imam should move to backup opener.

World Cup Squad Should Be:

Babar
    Fakhar
    Shehzad
    Hafeez
    Shadab
    Asif Ali
    Sarfraz WK C
    Faheem Ashraf
    Hassan Ali
    Wahab Riaz
    Shaheen Afridi

M Musa
    Shinwari
    Haris Sohail / Imad Wasim
    Imam Ul Haq

Babar and Fakhar can use the powerplay well, Shehzad can anchor the innings (by playing a selfish innings that could end up being beneficial for the team by extending the game), Hafeez could be the anchor to hold the middle orders and see through end over hitting. Not expecting much from Shadab but he is useless at 8 with no ability to strike big, more useful in the middle overs to contribute 20-30 runs. Asif Ali, Sarfraz, Faheem, Hassan Ali to provide the last 10-15 overs spark.

Bowling you have Shaheen and Hassan to open the bowling and take wickets up front, Faheem to bowl 2-3 tight overs in the powerplay. Shadab, Wahab and Hassan can be used to pick up wickets in the middle overs. Faheem is a good death overs bowler.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1094 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I've been repeating these numbers over and again yet some folks here claim he's our best batsman.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Wasn’t this expected for a batsman into his late, late 30s with poor technique? He was never a good batsman against pace, bounce or movement; but still players at their prime age can manage - at least can make up stats selectively. But, now his eye sights & reflex is fading, his muscle power is reducing, his hand-eye coordinations are not as perfect as 2-3 years back. This is natural decline and PAK Tank should have realised that long back. Me being a great fan of Malik have written here several times that he (& Hafeez) should have been forced to retirement after CT win and those two spots should have been invested in players at least 12 years younger.

A batsman survives (or score runs), based on 3 attributes- his technique, his experience & his physical capabilities. There are odd examples but in general batsmen are at their prime probably at the biological age of 29, with 2-3 years either side. Before that age his physical attributes are completed (at peak), his technique also should be perfect, but not his experience of playing in different conditions, situations & opponents. After that age, (say 35), his experience & technique is at the peak but his body starts betraying.

Most of the ATGs have shown the same trend - from Viv, Greg, Sunney, Border, Javed, SRT, BC to recent days Amla, KP, Cook, Ponting, Jaques have gone through the cycle. However, these players still had watertight technique and their experience helped them to manage a decent stats (read save face), by playing good/great innings/series here & there - but hardly any of them were the dominant master they had been in their late 20s, early 30s. This guy Malik never had the technique or class & now his body has given up - he is surviving here & there by bashing soft bowlers backed by his 23+ years of experience. He’ll be something to watch during WC and I am sure the day MoHa falls for the final time, he’ll be same - already has done that in Test; I am afraid, will do in ODI as well during WC.

It’ll be a treat to watch PAK middle order in WC - MoHa, Milan, Sarfi at 4-5-6...... then may be all-rounders Shadab & Faheem. Good luck.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some more interesting stats since 2018 onward

A walking wicket in SENA conditions/against Top teams.

Code:
    		Inns	NO	Runs	HS	Ave	SR	100	50	4s	6s
    in New Zealand	4	0	49	27	12.25	51.57	0	0	5	2
    in South Africa	4	0	95	31	23.75	77.86	0	0	6	0
    in U.A.E.	11	2	371	78	41.22	80.47	0	3	20	6
    in Zimbabwe	2	0	40	22	20	108.1	0	0	2	1

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadozai View Post
    A walking wicket in SENA conditions/against Top teams.

Code:
    		Inns	NO	Runs	HS	Ave	SR	100	50	4s	6s
    in New Zealand	4	0	49	27	12.25	51.57	0	0	5	2
    in South Africa	4	0	95	31	23.75	77.86	0	0	6	0
    in U.A.E.	11	2	371	78	41.22	80.47	0	3	20	6
    in Zimbabwe	2	0	40	22	20	108.1	0	0	2	1
    I'd take Hafeez over this guy any day of the week.
    Hafeez is decent.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a_tahir View Post
    Hafeez is decent.
    its not either or

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The problem is they have not given others a proper chance to stake a claim and now will throw some guys in and give them one or two matches to perform, which is ridiculous and lacks forward-thinking and planning.
    The same thing seems to happen every time the world cup comes round. Then when the inevitable failure comes to pass, everyone says we have to rebuild. Rinse and repeat.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a_tahir View Post
    Hafeez is decent.
    Honestly, both are mediocre and should have been retired from international cricket long ago.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The list of tailenders with better stats in England would be big Malik in an advisory role isn't a bad idea.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Worst part he is a sure starter at the WC.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shobby's had a poor series no doubt. He can't play pace but unfortunately neither can our other batsmen. He can still be useful in the middle overs by bashing away at the spinners.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair critisism, but I remember he gave a team talk after the loss to India in the Champions Trophy.
    We went on to win it.
    Bad form, but a good person to have around for the youngsters to follow.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he hits some low scores. Can't afford to have him start in the WC.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Shobby's had a poor series no doubt. He can't play pace but unfortunately neither can our other batsmen. He can still be useful in the middle overs by bashing away at the spinners.
    He even can't clear the fence against spinners anymore aswell. Holed out last game against spin.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Fair critisism, but I remember he gave a team talk after the loss to India in the Champions Trophy.
    We went on to win it.
    Bad form, but a good person to have around for the youngsters to follow.
    But but but...
    We're trying the bench we don't care about losing

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Power has never been Shoaib Malik's forte. This is especially true against any sort of pace.

Secondly, Malik has been consistently below average since he's returned to the team. He generally only scores against weaker teams in Asian Conditions.

Third, we really need to stop blaming the players. Shoaib Malik is exactly what his numbers suggest he is. We need to focus on the people who continue ask these players to do things that they are simply physically or mentally incapable of doing.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been a fan. Even Afghanistan’s or zimbabawe wouldn’t persist with such trash