Instagram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    97,101
    Mentioned
    1752 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

    [VIDEO] AB de Villiers confirms that he will feature in Qalandars’ back-to-back PSL games in Lahore

    AB de Villiers confirms Lahore return for HBL PSL 2019

    • “I feel I have a role to play in helping international cricket return to Pakistan,” says the former South Africa captain

    • “I am certain he will further brighten the Gaddafi Stadium with his amazing talent and skills on 9 and 10 March,” says Mr Fawad Rana

    • “I am sure de Villiers’s appearance will attract new fans, and more eyeballs will follow the HBL PSL than ever before,” says Mr Ehsan Mani

    • “I am confident that AB will take home memories which will bring him back again and again to this beautiful piece of land,” says Hafeez

    Lahore, 14 January:

    With one month to go for the start of the HBL Pakistan Super League 2019, one of the world’s most popular and competitive cricket leagues got another shot in the arm when charismatic and flamboyant former South Africa captain AB de Villiers confirmed that he will feature in Lahore Qalandars’ back-to-back matches at the iconic Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore in March.

    Lahore Qalandars, who are hoping to be fourth time lucky in their quest for glory, will take on defending champions Islamabad United on 9 March, while on the following day, they will face Multan Sultans.

    De Villiers will also be in action on the opening day of the tournament on 14 February in Dubai, when the Qalandars meet Islamabad United. The 32-day and 34-match tournament will culminate with the final at Karachi’s historic National Stadium on 17 March.

    “I am delighted to confirm that I will represent Lahore Qalandars in front of our home crowds on 9 and 10 March, during the HBL PSL 2019,” de Villiers, one of the most followed and admired cricketers of the modern era, announced.

    “I look forward to revisiting the Gaddafi Stadium and aim to play my part in helping Lahore Qalandars achieve something they have been aspiring for since the inception of this tournament in 2016,” he added.

    De Villiers’s only previous visit to Lahore was in 2007. In the drawn Test that October, he had scored 45 and eight not out, but returned later in the same month to score 103 not out, 35 and 17 in the first, second and fifth ODIs, respectively.

    “I am fully aware that cricket is like a second religion in Pakistan. I still remember the support and appreciation we received in 2007. Furthermore, I feel I have a role to play in helping international cricket return to Pakistan. These have been some of the motivating factors for me to return to Lahore,” said de Villiers.

    De Villiers will be the sixth South Africa cricketer to visit Lahore in less than 18 months. In September 2017, Faf du Plessis captained the ICC World XI, which also included Hashim Amla, David Miller, Morne Morkel and Imran Tahir. Pakistan won the three-T20I series 2-1.

    Later that year, Sri Lanka visited Lahore for a T20I, while the Windies played three T20Is in Karachi in April 2018. In May 2015, Zimbabwe had toured Lahore for five international matches.

    After the entire 2016 inaugural event was played offshore, HBL PSL marked its debut in Pakistan in 2017 when the final was held in Lahore. Since then, and as part of a gradual process to bring the entire tournament to Pakistan, three matches were played in 2018, while eight matches are scheduled to take place in 2019.

    “I sympathise with the people of Pakistan because they have been cricket-starved for no fault of theirs, but I am optimistic that the days are not too far when international cricket will return to Pakistan and the stadia will once again be packed with crowds.

    “Due to prior family commitments, I will only be available till the last group stage game. I want to thank Lahore Qalandars for giving me an opportunity to represent them and I look forward to not only enjoying my time in the HBL PSL 2019 but also contributing in making it a stronger brand,” de Villiers said.

    A happy Lahore Qalandars’ owner Mr Fawad Rana said: “There can’t be a bigger and better news for Pakistan cricket fans and the HBL PSL 2019 on the day we are celebrating ‘one month to go’ that AB de Villiers has confirmed his availability for the two Lahore matches.

    “De Villiers is one of the icons of international cricket, who has entertained his fans world-over, not only with his innovative and aggressive batting, but also with the flare, passion and agility that he always carries with him onto the field of play.

    “I am certain he will further brighten the Gaddafi Stadium with his amazing talent and skills on 9 and 10 March and this good news is a gift for our Qalandars clan.”

    De Villiers’s commitment to play in front of the cricket-mad Lahore crowds will undoubtedly give credence to the Pakistan Cricket Board’s stance in which it has been emphasising and assuring the cricket playing nations that Pakistan is now as safe and secure a country to play in, as any other place in the world.

    PCB Chairman Mr Ehsan Mani said: “We appreciate the decision of AB de Villiers and look forward to welcoming him to the home of Pakistan cricket. I am sure de Villiers’s appearance will attract new fans, and more eyeballs will follow the HBL PSL than ever before.

    “I am confident that de Villiers’s decision at the back of his fellow World XI, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and the Windies’ cricketers’ decisions to play in Lahore will encourage other leading cricketers and international sides to visit this cricket-passionate country.

    “For the Lahore crowds, it will be a great opportunity to watch this generation’s cricket genius live in action. I am sure they will turn up in great numbers to support de Villiers as well as Lahore Qalandars and their opponents.”

    Lahore Qalandars captain Mohammad Hafeez said: “De Villiers is one of the most respected cricketers in the world. He is a proven performer, who has added new dimensions to batting in white-ball cricket.

    “Not just me but the entire Lahore Qalandars side will wait eagerly for the unique experience of sharing with him a flight to Lahore and then being in the same team kit in front of what I envisage will be a packed house.

    “This will again be an opportunity for the Lahore crowds to show their passion, respect, love and hospitality, and I am confident that AB will take home memories which will bring him back again and again to this beautiful piece of land.”


    Last edited by MenInG; 14th January 2019 at 13:49.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    12,141
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    De Villiers has confirmed that he will play all of Qalandar's group stage games, including the games in Lahore. He will not play the knockout stages.

    Good stuff this.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    4,229
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    • “I am certain he will further brighten the Gaddafi Stadium with his amazing talent and skills on 9 and 10 March,” says Mr Fawad Rana
    will definitely buy a ticket to watch this legend batting and extra ordinary fielding

  4. #4
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great news

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    9,541
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    AB de Villiers confirms Lahore return for HBL PSL 2019

    • “I feel I have a role to play in helping international cricket return to Pakistan,” says the former South Africa captain

    • “I am certain he will further brighten the Gaddafi Stadium with his amazing talent and skills on 9 and 10 March,” says Mr Fawad Rana

    • “I am sure de Villiers’s appearance will attract new fans, and more eyeballs will follow the HBL PSL than ever before,” says Mr Ehsan Mani

    • “I am confident that AB will take home memories which will bring him back again and again to this beautiful piece of land,” says Hafeez

    • For more information on HBL PSL 2019, please visit www.psl-t20.com; official twitter handle is @thepslt20; hashtags: #HBLPSL and #KhelDeewanoKa

    Lahore, 14 January:

    With one month to go for the start of the HBL Pakistan Super League 2019, one of the world’s most popular and competitive cricket leagues got another shot in the arm when charismatic and flamboyant former South Africa captain AB de Villiers confirmed that he will feature in Lahore Qalandars’ back-to-back matches at the iconic Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore in March.

    Lahore Qalandars, who are hoping to be fourth time lucky in their quest for glory, will take on defending champions Islamabad United on 9 March, while on the following day, they will face Multan Sultans.

    De Villiers will also be in action on the opening day of the tournament on 14 February in Dubai, when the Qalandars meet Islamabad United. The 32-day and 34-match tournament will culminate with the final at Karachi’s historic National Stadium on 17 March.

    “I am delighted to confirm that I will represent Lahore Qalandars in front of our home crowds on 9 and 10 March, during the HBL PSL 2019,” de Villiers, one of the most followed and admired cricketers of the modern era, announced.

    “I look forward to revisiting the Gaddafi Stadium and aim to play my part in helping Lahore Qalandars achieve something they have been aspiring for since the inception of this tournament in 2016,” he added.

    De Villiers’s only previous visit to Lahore was in 2007. In the drawn Test that October, he had scored 45 and eight not out, but returned later in the same month to score 103 not out, 35 and 17 in the first, second and fifth ODIs, respectively.

    “I am fully aware that cricket is like a second religion in Pakistan. I still remember the support and appreciation we received in 2007. Furthermore, I feel I have a role to play in helping international cricket return to Pakistan. These have been some of the motivating factors for me to return to Lahore,” said de Villiers.

    De Villiers will be the sixth South Africa cricketer to visit Lahore in less than 18 months. In September 2017, Faf du Plessis captained the ICC World XI, which also included Hashim Amla, David Miller, Morne Morkel and Imran Tahir. Pakistan won the three-T20I series 2-1.

    Later that year, Sri Lanka visited Lahore for a T20I, while the Windies played three T20Is in Karachi in April 2018. In May 2015, Zimbabwe had toured Lahore for five international matches.

    After the entire 2016 inaugural event was played offshore, HBL PSL marked its debut in Pakistan in 2017 when the final was held in Lahore. Since then, and as part of a gradual process to bring the entire tournament to Pakistan, three matches were played in 2018, while eight matches are scheduled to take place in 2019.

    “I sympathise with the people of Pakistan because they have been cricket-starved for no fault of theirs, but I am optimistic that the days are not too far when international cricket will return to Pakistan and the stadia will once again be packed with crowds.

    “Due to prior family commitments, I will only be available till the last group stage game. I want to thank Lahore Qalandars for giving me an opportunity to represent them and I look forward to not only enjoying my time in the HBL PSL 2019 but also contributing in making it a stronger brand,” de Villiers said.

    A happy Lahore Qalandars’ owner Mr Fawad Rana said: “There can’t be a bigger and better news for Pakistan cricket fans and the HBL PSL 2019 on the day we are celebrating ‘one month to go’ that AB de Villiers has confirmed his availability for the two Lahore matches.

    “De Villiers is one of the icons of international cricket, who has entertained his fans world-over, not only with his innovative and aggressive batting, but also with the flare, passion and agility that he always carries with him onto the field of play.

    “I am certain he will further brighten the Gaddafi Stadium with his amazing talent and skills on 9 and 10 March and this good news is a gift for our Qalandars clan.”

    De Villiers’s commitment to play in front of the cricket-mad Lahore crowds will undoubtedly give credence to the Pakistan Cricket Board’s stance in which it has been emphasising and assuring the cricket playing nations that Pakistan is now as safe and secure a country to play in, as any other place in the world.

    PCB Chairman Mr Ehsan Mani said: “We appreciate the decision of AB de Villiers and look forward to welcoming him to the home of Pakistan cricket. I am sure de Villiers’s appearance will attract new fans, and more eyeballs will follow the HBL PSL than ever before.

    “I am confident that de Villiers’s decision at the back of his fellow World XI, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and the Windies’ cricketers’ decisions to play in Lahore will encourage other leading cricketers and international sides to visit this cricket-passionate country.

    “For the Lahore crowds, it will be a great opportunity to watch this generation’s cricket genius live in action. I am sure they will turn up in great numbers to support de Villiers as well as Lahore Qalandars and their opponents.”

    Lahore Qalandars captain Mohammad Hafeez said: “De Villiers is one of the most respected cricketers in the world. He is a proven performer, who has added new dimensions to batting in white-ball cricket.

    “Not just me but the entire Lahore Qalandars side will wait eagerly for the unique experience of sharing with him a flight to Lahore and then being in the same team kit in front of what I envisage will be a packed house.

    “This will again be an opportunity for the Lahore crowds to show their passion, respect, love and hospitality, and I am confident that AB will take home memories which will bring him back again and again to this beautiful piece of land.”


    Could have helped your own countries cricket had you not retired. Nevertheless, looking forward to it. Always a pleasure watching him bat.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 14th January 2019 at 12:19.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    7,902
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This is big. Great work by Sethi....oh....


    Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    1,784
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is some fantastic news. Surely going to go for the match in Gaddafi!

  8. #8
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    23,252
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow amazing stuff. Didn't think he would play in Pakistan. Probably was heavily paid but glad he is going.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    3,596
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Big.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    6
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    De Villiers has confirmed that he will play all of Qalandar's group stage games, including the games in Lahore. He will not play the knockout stages.

    Good stuff this.
    Why is he not playing in the knockout stages?

  11. #11
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    13,208
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That’s big news. Well done ABDV.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    329
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing news

  13. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    835
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the best possible news. Sõ much happy! Entire Lahore will be cheering for the legend.. Welcome to Pakistan AB!


  14. #14
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    1,381
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news. Having him come to Pakistan is great.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    14,269
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malik786 View Post
    Why is he not playing in the knockout stages?
    Clearly stated in OP:

    “Due to prior family commitments, I will only be available till the last group stage game. I want to thank Lahore Qalandars for giving me an opportunity to represent them and I look forward to not only enjoying my time in the HBL PSL 2019 but also contributing in making it a stronger brand,” de Villiers said.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    4,506
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least Lahore Qalandars now have a great chance to qualify for knockout stages because of Ab de Villiers.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    6,494
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be there InshAllah.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Milton, Ontario
    Runs
    461
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeraq View Post
    At least Lahore Qalandars now have a great chance to qualify for knockout stages because of Ab de Villiers.
    Easily!!


    Cricket analyst @Relukattay

    Politics and sports don't mix!!

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    1,401
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright then Lahore Qalandars have increased their qualifying chances by 40%


    If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    14,729
    Mentioned
    668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ab the legend.

    Best news in a long time. People will come from every corner of the country to watch him play in front of their own eyes.

    Kudos.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,007
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whole New Zealand team coming won't convince other teams like AUS, ENG, SA, compared to just AB D coming.

    This is certainly a very big step in the cricket coming back to Pak.

    Other teams will surely accept invitation for 3 T20Is at least, if AB first visit Pak.

    Apart from AB, visit from Kohli, Smith and Warner will be really big. These are influential figures in cricket.
    Last edited by Kohli, The King of Chase; 14th January 2019 at 21:43.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    1,877
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope these matches are day matches and not d/n. Lahore stadium looks better in daylight.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    97,101
    Mentioned
    1752 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lahoriyah1234 View Post
    I hope these matches are day matches and not d/n. Lahore stadium looks better in daylight.
    wont be - some sort of tradition for T20!


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  24. #24
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,104
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why do i get the feeling that the news of ABD coming to Pakistan was kept under the wraps and was revealed at the right time to divert fans' attention to the fact that our test team has been humiliated by SA and that our test team is totally rubbish?

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    2,069
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    Why do i get the feeling that the news of ABD coming to Pakistan was kept under the wraps and was revealed at the right time to divert fans' attention to the fact that our test team has been humiliated by SA and that our test team is totally rubbish?
    PCB is not that smart.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,104
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    PCB is not that smart.
    No. The smart thing would be to fix First Class cricket. Because they are not smart, they create these stupid diversions and cover ups.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    608
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huge news. Respect to AB for making the trip. Hopefully this may convince some of his countrymen to tour Pak in the future.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    18,098
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Could have helped your own countries cricket had you not retired. Nevertheless, looking forward to it. Always a pleasure watching him bat.
    He feels his country has found adequate replacement for him. What's wrong with that. And he wants to help Pak cricket in a difficult time


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

  29. #29
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    329
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    wont be - some sort of tradition for T20!
    Viewership numbers.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    97,101
    Mentioned
    1752 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    PCB Media Release : Duminy, Jordan and Sammy hail de Villiers’s decision to play HBL PSL 2019 matches in Lahore

    Lahore, 15 January:

    AB de Villiers’s decision to return to Lahore for the HBL PSL’s fourth edition in 2019 has been welcomed by his former international colleagues.

    De Villiers’s long-time team-mate JP Duminy hoped his former captain will enjoy Lahore as the public sentiment and passion for the game has increased substantially since South Africa last toured in 2007.

    “I am delighted that AB has decided to play Lahore Qalandars’ back-to-back matches at the Gaddafi Stadium on 9 and 10 March. I am sure when he takes the field, he will be amazed to see the electric atmosphere, passion and excitement in the crowds,” said Duminy, who captained Islamabad United in their triumphant HBL PSL 2018 final in Karachi.

    Duminy will miss this year’s event as he is recovering from an injury, something that has also kept him away from the ongoing series against Pakistan.

    “The March visit will also allow AB to sense the status and respect he commands in this part of the world, as well as the impact he has made on Pakistan cricket. These people love cricket and have tremendous respect for high-performing cricketers like AB.

    “The HBL PSL is a tournament which is growing fast, and with its successful staging in Pakistan, prospects of international cricket returning to the country have also brightened.

    “I am sure when AB will look back at his glittering and marvellous career, he will say with pride and satisfaction that he also played a part in the revival of international cricket in Pakistan.”

    England’s white-ball specialist fast bowler Chris Jordan, who will again represent Peshawar Zalmi, also backed AB, when he said: “I am glad AB de Villiers was able to make this decision of touring Pakistan.

    “The love and appreciation that we received when we played in Lahore and Karachi was beyond amazing, Pakistani fans just love their cricket and to be able to experience that is something I cherish till date and look forward to this year as well. I am sure AB will have a very similar experience.”

    “When you play in Pakistan, it just puts into perspective what an entire generation of their fans has missed out on and, seeing how the fans are reacting to this news, clearly it means a lot to them that AB will be playing in front of them. AB de Villiers is a great addition to this group of international cricketers who want to see international cricket return to Pakistan.”


    The Windies’ legend Daren Sammy, who played in de Villiers’s opposition in a number of international matches, hailed the South African’s decision, saying: “AB has entertained the world through his exploits. I am glad that he has decided to show his skills in Lahore, which I am sure will be hugely appreciated by the courteous and supportive Pakistan cricket fans.

    “De Villiers is a champion cricketer and I am excited for the players who will get to experience playing in Lahore with him and for the thousands of crazy Pakistan cricket fans who, I am sure, will line-up in huge numbers to see AB play.

    “I played in Lahore and Karachi in 2017 and 2018 and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The excitement and enthusiasm I saw in Lahore and Karachi was second to none and it just drives home the fact that this game is what it is because of these lovely fans.

    “Sadly, I will not get a chance to play against AB in Lahore but I will be watching the match on the television and I am sure we will get to see some great cricket.”

    In a fitting start to de Villiers’s PSL career, he will feature in the HBL PSL 2019 debut match on 14 February against defending champions Islamabad United in Dubai. The tournament will culminate with the final in Karachi on 17 March.

    For the first time in the history of the HBL PSL, eight matches will be played in Pakistan – three in Lahore and five in Karachi. In 2018, two matches were played in Lahore and the final in Karachi, while Lahore staged the only match (final) in 2017. The entire 2016 tournament was played in the United Arab Emirates.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •