Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

A long gap between Test matches for Pakistan is unacceptable

Having to wait ten months for Pakistan's next test match in October is simply unacceptable. The PCB needs to think long term just like the BCCI selectors have done with their team. I understand that the players are human and would love to have rest after being on a long journey with 15 ODI's and T-20's to play and then the ODI WC in England, this is why the PCB needs to adopt a rotation policy for the captain, the senior players and most importantly the pacers.

I would personally like the PCB to invite the likes of Zimbabwe, Kenya or Afghanistan to play a 2-3 test match series, ODI and T-20 series and field a second eleven. Use your bench strength and top domestic performers in that series and plan for the future. Surely one of these teams will be willing to come and even if the series is not profitable or where the PCB has to shell out some cash then so be it.

The other issue I have with this long gap is that Azhar Ali's pathetic tailender like batting will be forgotten by October 2019. Hope the PCB is proactive

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    when would they schedule it?

we have odis versus aus and eng coming up and then the world cup.

boys need a month or two rest.

september/october we have lankan series no?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there will be some test championship matches from july. Pakistan have to play home and away matches with 6 teams in two years , even if each series is two matches pakistan will have to play 24 matches from july 2019 to july 2021.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    I think there will be some test championship matches from july. Pakistan have to play home and away matches with 6 teams in two years , even if each series is two matches pakistan will have to play 24 matches from july 2019 to july 2021.
    Sorry i got it wrong.

Each team will play 3 series at home and away each and the minimum number of test in each series is 2. So pakistans gonna play at least 12 matches between july 2019 to march 31 2021.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post

I meant after the WC, and that's why I said field a bench 11.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan are jam-packed until the World Cup, there are no time for tests.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not all Pakistan's fault. NZ's series against us was their first Tests since March IIRC

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's to keep the players in ODI or LOIs mode in the first half of 2019 prior to the WC.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I meant after the WC, and that's why I said field a bench 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Pakistan are jam-packed until the World Cup, there are no time for tests.
    The have about a two and a half month break between mid July and October.

Kenya does not have Test status as OP recommended.

Zimbabwe and Afghanistan are playing each other.

Bangladesh, Ireland, and South Africa are really the only teams that are free during that period.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post

Bangladesh, Ireland, and South Africa are really the only teams that are free during that period.
    a test series against ireland would be sweet.

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chill dude, its a World Cup year!

We should be focusing on white ball cricket from now on. Can't criticise the board for this.

Considering how bad we have been at red ball cricket, it maybe a good idea to have a long break from it so that we can come back with better approach, (ie drop test captain, drop batting coach, etc)

Also players like Azhar and Asad can see if they can get individual coaching or play some First class cricket in other cricketing nations (although who would take them??).

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope the gap goes on for several years, we embarrass ourselves whenever we play

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We should invite Ireland to Pakistan for 1 test (preferably 2 but that's not gonna happen) 3 ODIs and a T20 in late August/early September. The whole tour could be done in under 3 weeks, and there is a better chance that Ireland might even consider it.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    The schedule for the first half of 2019 is perfect. 15 ODIs against top teams before the World Cup, including 5 in the host country !

The second half is a problem, not that there's only two Test series but that they both consist only of two Tests. Surely the Sri Lanka series can be converted to three Tests ? Gives us more margin for error if we mess up in one.

We can thank master administrator Sethi for agreeing to so few Tests in the FTP.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    This is a World Cup year. Every team is playing less test matches than normal.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its acceptable in a WC year.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    The schedule for the first half of 2019 is perfect. 15 ODIs against top teams before the World Cup, including 5 in the host country !

The second half is a problem, not that there's only two Test series but that they both consist only of two Tests. Surely the Sri Lanka series can be converted to three Tests ? Gives us more margin for error if we mess up in one.

We can thank master administrator Sethi for agreeing to so few Tests in the FTP.
    I think the FTP is the issue here. it reflects the reality of the big 3 (and a half). We will only get two tests, against most teams. Only India, England, Australia will play more tests. And India will not play test against Pakistan, so we actually have fewer tests and bigger gaps.
    I have been talking about this in other threads. The way that the FTP is set up right now is between haves and have nots. Its two tiered and structured in such a way that the teams that play more games are more like to be be contention for the world test championship.
    Having said all that, the only team that should feel truly upset by this New Zealand - they actually deserve more tests, vs. say Pakistan which basically squanders goodwill everywhere it goes.
    A second issue is that you cant have 32 - 34 years old batsmen sitting on the sidelines of 9 months until serious cricket shows up. It happened in 2017 as well. Azhar at least has county cricket (whatever hte merits of his future selection is another issue). Shafiq basically will be doing nothing over the next 9 months and come end of year might find himself playing in australia with only two test matches and probably one warm up game.
    These are institutionalized advantages to make sure the test championship will only feature the big three (and may the saffers) in contention.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Bite the bullet, Pakistan.

Drop the ego and invite Bangladesh for a 3-Test + 5 ODI + 1 T20 series in the UAE, preferably in the latter half of the year.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Bite the bullet, Pakistan.

Drop the ego and invite Bangladesh for a 3-Test + 5 ODI + 1 T20 series in the UAE, preferably in the latter half of the year.
    No chance, canít have us being whitewashed by Bangladesh.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Having to wait ten months for Pakistan's next test match in October is simply unacceptable. The PCB needs to think long term just like the BCCI selectors have done with their team. I understand that the players are human and would love to have rest after being on a long journey with 15 ODI's and T-20's to play and then the ODI WC in England, this is why the PCB needs to adopt a rotation policy for the captain, the senior players and most importantly the pacers.

I would personally like the PCB to invite the likes of Zimbabwe, Kenya or Afghanistan to play a 2-3 test match series, ODI and T-20 series and field a second eleven. Use your bench strength and top domestic performers in that series and plan for the future. Surely one of these teams will be willing to come and even if the series is not profitable or where the PCB has to shell out some cash then so be it.

The other issue I have with this long gap is that Azhar Ali's pathetic tailender like batting will be forgotten by October 2019. Hope the PCB is proactive
    Kenya don't have test status,now they don't even have Odi status

You can add Bangladesh to the list

Even Ireland
    Niall O'Brien had shown interest in touring Pakistan for tests during their inaugural test

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan Cricket has always struggled to schedule a season in an appropriate manner.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think this time it's due to the WC which we have good preparation for. But let's be honest PCB doesn't really care about test cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post

So a tour can be arranged to south Africa to avenge recent 3 nil loss in tests

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1784 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    9 months is nothing, PCBís standard is much higher. To my memory (have to check, no time), apart from few years self exile by Mughabeís ZIM, PAK is the only team in last 35 or so years not to play a single Test in a whole calendar year (2008).

Iíll be happy if they donít convert the SRL series to single Test and 7 T20s....

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's okay. At the moment we need to concentrate on the coming WC. I don't want any excuses of injured players when the tournament arrives like having just played a test series.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.