User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

[PICTURES] ICC announce the Test team of the Year for 2018 - Mohammad Abbas included

The International Cricket Council today announced the men’s Test and ODI teams of the year with Virat
    Kohli named captain of both sides following a remarkable 2018 as batsman and skipper.

• Kohli named captain of both teams picked on basis of performances in 2018
    • Three players each from India and New Zealand in Test team; four each from India and England in ODI side

The awards, which honour performances during a calendar year, saw the India captain Kohli walk into both sides which were selected by the ICC Voting Academy* comprising former players, members of the media and broadcasters.

Kohli’s 1,322 runs at an average of 55.08 with five centuries in 13 Tests and 1,202 runs at an astounding average of 133.55 with six hundreds in 14 ODIs saw him selected to both sides by every voting member of the Academy with the majority of them also opting to name him at the helm of each.

Kohli also ended 2018 as the top-ranked Test and ODI batsman in the MRF Tyres ICC Player Rankings while his side finished the year as the top-ranked side in Tests and number two behind England in ODIs.

India won six Tests and lost seven during the voting period that ran from 1 January to 31 December 2018 and included victories in South Africa, England and Australia, as also some other close matches in away series. In ODIs, Kohli led India to nine victories, with four losses and one tied match.

India captain Virat Kohli said: “It has been an amazing year. I was able to play in a manner that I would not have imagined. If the intention is right and you keep working hard, the results are there in front of your own eyes. The intent has always to be helping your team at any cost, that is when these performances come by and you are pushing yourself to the limit, which you otherwise will not be able to. That is something I experienced in 2018 a lot.”

The Test team also features his compatriots, wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant and fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah, who is the only player apart from Kohli to feature in both sides. New Zealand also has three players in the Test squad with captain Kane Williamson, Henry Nicholls and opener Tom Latham selected. Five other nations make up the remainder of the Test team – Dimuth Karunaratne (Sri Lanka), Jason Holder (Windies), top-ranked Kagiso Rabada (South Africa), Nathan Lyon (Australia) and Mohammad Abbas (Pakistan).

The ODI team has opener Rohit Sharma, spinner Kuldeep Yadav and Bumrah from India along with captain Kohli, while England are represented by Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes. Mustafizur Rahman (Bangladesh), top-ranked Rashid Khan (Afghanistan) and Ross Taylor (New Zealand) complete the ICC ODI XI.

New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson said: “This looks like an individual piece of recognition but it is much more about the team. Both of the other two who have been fortunate enough to be named in the eleven, I am sure, would agree that as a group we have been growing for a period of time - as a Test unit. It is great that the guys have been looking to play their roles as best as they can. The Test team has been tracking nicely.”

Joe Root said: “It feels really great to be named in the ICC ODI squad and the fact that three of my team-mates are there along with me, makes it extra special. We had a fine year and expectations are on the rise as we look forward to playing the ICC Cricket World Cup at home this year. I thank the ICC for the honour and to the jury for taking the effort to go through the elaborate process.”

ICC Men’s Test Team of the Year (in batting order):

1. Tom Latham (New Zealand)
    2. Dimuth Karunaratne (Sri Lanka)
    3. Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
    4. Virat Kohli (India) (capt)
    5. Henry Nicholls (New Zealand)
    6. Rishabh Pant (India) (wk)
    7. Jason Holder (Windies)
    8. Kagiso Rabada (South Africa)
    9. Nathan Lyon (Australia)
    10. Jasprit Bumrah (India)
    11. Mohammad Abbas (Pakistan)

ICC Men’s ODI team of the year (in batting order):

1. Rohit Sharma (India)
    2. Jonny Bairstow (England)
    3. Virat Kohli (India) (capt)
    4. Joe Root (England)
    5. Ross Taylor (New Zealand)
    6. Jos Buttler (England) (wk)
    7. Ben Stokes (England)
    8. Mustafizur Rahman (Bangladesh)
    9. Rashid Khan (Afghanistan)
    10. Kuldeep Yadav (India)
    11. Jasprit Bumrah (India)

The ICC individual men’s awards will be announced later today.

*The voting academy was: Javed Hamid Kakar, Emal Pasarly (Afghanistan); Lisa Sthalekar, Andrew Wu, Mike Hussey (Australia) Utpal Shuvro, M. Farid Ahmed, Athar Ali Khan (Bangladesh); Julian Guyer, Lawrence Booth, Nasser Hussain (England); Deep Dasgupta, Sunandan Lele, Jasvinder Sidhu (India); Ian Callendar, Barry Chambers (Ireland); Mark Geenty, Ian Smith (New Zealand); Peter Borren (Netherlands); Ramiz Raja, Abdul Mohi Shah, Mazhar Arshad, Bazid Khan (Pakistan); Shaun Pollock, Neil Manthorp, Firdose Moonda (South Africa); Saroj Pathirana, Russel Arnold, Rex Clementine (Sri Lanka); Peter Della Penna (USA), Ian Bishop, Barry Wilkinson, Vinode Mamchan (West Indies); Trisan Holme, Mehluli Sibanda, Mpumelelo Mbangwa (Zimbabwe).

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/980936

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Strange that no English players in the test team

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see Mohammed Abbas making the Test team of the year, had been in some red hot wicket taking form before injury struck him. Didn't perform as expected in South African Test series but expect him to come good after he recovers fully from the shoulder injury. New ball is still a problem for our bowlers and we must try Abbas in ODIs before the world cup to see if he could be our new ball bowler with Amir in world cup.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyoOne View Post
    Strange that no English players in the test team
    One of Curran or Stokes should have been there at least.

Azaadi. InshAllah.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Sad as it maybe to see only one Pak name in the Test list, the fact is that it is a true reflection of our current situation - Hopefully 2019 would be better but the start has been disastrous

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    San Ramon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How may of us agree that Kohli deserves to be a test captain for ICC team considering his poor team selection? He has made Eyepopping mistakes in selecting non-performers and uncles that has cost India matches.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbar View Post
    How may of us agree that Kohli deserves to be a test captain for ICC team considering his poor team selection? He has made Eyepopping mistakes in selecting non-performers and uncles that has cost India matches.
    Yeah I do feel that Williamson or Holder would've been better choices as captain

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kohli is not a good captain. He certainly gets a look in into the test and ODI teams considering he's done well in 2018 but he's not a great leader certainly. Within the ODI & Test teams, Williamson, Rohit, Hoder, and Root are better captains than Kohli.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Making our Kaptaan the captain of icc test team is a mistake.

He will be so bad that he may lose a test series against Pakistan in UAE even with that team.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Making our Kaptaan the captain of icc test team is a mistake.

He will be so bad that he may lose a test series against Pakistan in UAE even with that team.
    He won a series in Australia which Imran, Dhoni, etc couldn't do. He has messed up with selections in the past, but in terms of wins, he's doing really well.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abbas my boy!! he deserves that.

Jason holder is most underrated allrounder who could have been consider worldclass if he was playing for top team

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    He won a series in Australia which Imran, Dhoni, etc couldn't do. He has messed up with selections in the past, but in terms of wins, he's doing really well.
    You know his captaincy shortcomings other than selection if you watch our matches regularly. Kane is far better captain.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Kane should have been the captain of the Test team.

Kohli is nowhere as good as him as a tactician, leader is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    One of Curran or Stokes should have been there at least.
    A clear bias towards the Indians there.

Pant with a 40-odd average is the keeper of the year as well as the emerging player, when Buttler did exceedingly well in his comeback to the test side (while Bairstow was also brilliant).

Curran should have been the emerging player of the year.

Anderson should have been there ahead of Bumrah as well

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyoOne View Post
    A clear bias towards the Indians there.

Pant with a 40-odd average is the keeper of the year as well as the emerging player, when Buttler did exceedingly well in his comeback to the test side (while Bairstow was also brilliant).

Curran should have been the emerging player of the year.

Anderson should have been there ahead of Bumrah as well
    The bias is in your eyes my friend.

Pant scored a 100 in England and Aus in his debut year and broke the world record of most catches in a test.

Anderson averaged 81 in SL and only took wickets in friendly conditions. Bumrah helped them win a test in Melbourne and was a stand our bowler.

Englishmen collectively clicked as a team, but individually, no performance was big enough to displace these guys.

While we are at it, Shimron Hetmyer in my opinion should have been emerging player and Curran a distant third.

Before accusing of clear bias I request you to check the voting committee.

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    The bias is in your eyes my friend.

Pant scored a 100 in England and Aus in his debut year and broke the world record of most catches in a test.

Anderson averaged 81 in SL and only took wickets in friendly conditions. Bumrah helped them win a test in Melbourne and was a stand our bowler.

Englishmen collectively clicked as a team, but individually, no performance was big enough to displace these guys.

While we are at it, Shimron Hetmyer in my opinion should have been emerging player and Curran a distant third.

Before accusing of clear bias I request you to check the voting committee.
    Don't forget Pant's 100 in Australia is outside the qualification period. Although he's clearly talented on the whole I think he can consider himself very lucky to have the emerging player award over both Curran and Hetmyer, whilst the place in the test team comes down to whether they would consider Buttler given he's rarely kept in tests this year. On the other hand though it's not like Pant's keeping has been particularly notable.

Pant - 537 runs @ 38.35

Curran - 404 runs @ 36.72 - 14 wickets @ 25.14
    Hetymer - 376 runs @ 37.60/727 runs @ 40.38 (Test/ODI)

Buttler - 760 runs @ 44.70
    Last edited by HitWicket; 22nd January 2019 at 20:29.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Don't forget Pant's 100 in Australia is outside the qualification period. Although he's clearly talented on the whole I think he can consider himself very lucky to have the emerging player award over both Curran and Hetmyer, whilst the place in the test team comes down to whether they would consider Buttler given he's rarely kept in tests this year. On the other hand though it's not like Pant's keeping has been particularly notable.

Pant - 537 runs @ 38.35

Curran - 404 runs @ 36.72 - 14 wickets @ 25.14
    Hetymer - 376 runs @ 37.60/727 runs @ 40.38 (Test/ODI)

Buttler - 760 runs @ 44.70
    You might want to check again. Last year they decided to "annualise" these awards, meaning the qualification period is from Jan 1-Dec 31 (https://www.icc-cricket.com/awards/about).

I said Hetmyer should have been there as the emerging player coz he was WI highest run scorer in an extremely difficult Bangladesh tour.

Not dismissing Curran at all. I guess, committee has taken away performances into consideration. Same with Butler I suppose.

Thanks

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is Buttler even playing as wicket keeper in tests? Exceptional player though.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    You might want to check again. Last year they decided to "annualise" these awards, meaning the qualification period is from Jan 1-Dec 31 (https://www.icc-cricket.com/awards/about).

I said Hetmyer should have been there as the emerging player coz he was WI highest run scorer in an extremely difficult Bangladesh tour.

Not dismissing Curran at all. I guess, committee has taken away performances into consideration. Same with Butler I suppose.

Thanks
    The above stats are taken from Jan 1st - Dec 31st. Pants 100 in Australia came in a test starting on the 3rd January 2019 therefore doesn't fit the qualification period.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Is Buttler even playing as wicket keeper in tests? Exceptional player though.
    Not really no, he stood in for Bairstow when he was injured at some point during the India series. I guess it's a question of how you then judge that. If you asked me on 1st January 2019 who I'd be taking as a keeper batsman in my team town out of Buttler or Pant I'd personally be saying Buttler and I think most would agree but that's not nessecarily how you're going to judge for a team of the year.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no Babar Azam?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    The above stats are taken from Jan 1st - Dec 31st. Pants 100 in Australia came in a test starting on the 3rd January 2019 therefore doesn't fit the qualification period.
    Oh my bad. I stand corrected. Thanks.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned