0 Thread(s)

Mohammed Shami - An underrated ODI star

Fastest to pick 100 ODI Wickets by Pacer

52 Mitchell Starc
    54 Shane Bond
    55 Brett Lee
    56 MOHAMMED SHAMI
    56 Trent Boult

Injuries and Bhuvi's reputation of being a better death bowler has meant he has been underbowled over his career.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread is as underrated as him. Shami should be playing ahead bhuvneshwar in odis for worldcup.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shami's bowling average away in some top countries

Aus - 25.22
    Ban - 25.55
    Eng - 19.00
    NZ - 21.20
    SAF - 20.55

Low 20s average away from home in ODIs these days, insane stuff.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    India's best pace bowler over the last few years. Far better than Bhuvi "Economy" Kumar.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    This thread is as underrated as him. Shami should be playing ahead bhuvneshwar in odis for worldcup.
    Will play ahead of Bhuvi, problem is he is good test bowler also, abd injury prone too, so he is rested quite often in normal odi series which is good for his fitness.
    But in odi world cup he will play ahead of Bhuvi

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    India's best pace bowler over the last few years. Far better than Bhuvi "Economy" Kumar.
    His economy against top side is pretty poor so you can't even label him with that.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India's best pacer if you consider wicket taking ability.
    Only in death overs he fails to keep runs flow down.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Happy he's come back strong just in time for the WC. Should make for a strong pair with the redoubtable Bumrah.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    He is a much better bowler than Bhuvi Kumar.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Md shami has this "wicket taking" mentality. Dare i say has the same mentality of some of 90s Pak bowlers. He has a plan in place every over instead of trying to just hit the length hoping to get a wicket.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    He is a much better bowler than Bhuvi Kumar.
    Yes ,problem here is we need a third pacer in England, now with the Pandya fiasco and Shankar defn not replacement material we are in bit of a worry.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Yes ,problem here is we need a third pacer in England, now with the Pandya fiasco and Shankar defn not replacement material we are in bit of a worry.
    He will be back till WC.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    He will be back till WC.
    Yes but with a different mental capacity I feel, there was new he hasn't gone outside his home after the incident.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a very good bowler in ODIs and good enough in tests. He is not anything special though like Bumrah.

In recent years, Ishant has been a bigger deal than Shami in tests. I have seen Shami not being able to keep up the pressure at times but he is definitely a very good bowler to have in his own right.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

'There have been outstanding changes in my life' Shami eyes World Cup success after second wind

Mohammed Shami, the India fast bowler, credited management and the coaches, both at the Indian team and the ones at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru, for helping him rediscover his confidence.

Shami was India's second-highest wicket-taker at the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2015, where his 17 scalps helped India bowl out the opposition seven successive times leading up to the semi-final.

Injury subsequently cast him on the sidelines, even as new, young fast bowlers emerged in the likes of Jasprit Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Kumar. After the World Cup semi-final loss to Australia, Shami did not play one-day cricket for two years. It was a period marked by weight gain and a struggle for rhythm.

Shami has since put those issues behind. He is now back in top shape, is once again a regular in India's ODI squad, and is primed to go at the 2019 World Cup, having been named in the 15-man squad that was announced on Monday, 15 April. "In the last 18 months, I have continuously worked on my fitness and have been constantly trying to improve my game, [and] on what will be better for my team," he said on the sidelines of the IPL in Mohali.

"Yes, I was a bit heavy after my injury and didn't play ODIs for an extended time, but I have played ODIs recently. Especially in the last six months, there have been some outstanding changes in my life. I am happy with whatever I have achieved. I lost so much of weight, my body has that flow now and the rhythm, I feel, is similar to when I started [my career]. I will try to maintain the same rhythm in the future for the World Cup.

"There's a lot of difference [with my bowling] when compared to, say three years back. I have done a lot of hard work. I've worked with the coaches, and the confidence that I got with the Indian team, backing me when I was trying to improve my fitness levels, the management, the NCA - they all backed me with all their heart. I was also dedicated to take on the fitness challenge in front of me. I accepted that and the result is now in front of you."

Apart from issues with fitness, Shami has also had to deal with personal problems. He even had to take a break from the 2018 Indian Premier League after suffering a head injury in a road accident. But after spending another year out of the ODI team, Shami has gone back to his wicket-taking ways since returning to the side in October last year. He is Kings XI Punjab's highest wicket-taker in the IPL this season, with 10 wickets in eight matches.

"I'm very happy that I have got a second chance in a World Cup," he said. "As far as performance is concerned, they way I had performed in 2015, how I approached it with confidence, I am hoping that there's an increased confidence in me. And whatever confidence that I have, in terms of my performance in the last seven-eight months, I want to carry that confidence and put my best foot forward for my team."

With India's players up for a full grind, with the IPL season followed immediately by the World Cup, workload management has been a frequently broached subject. But Shami felt the IPL offered ideal simulation to be mentally prepared to deal with pressure at the marquee event.

"Playing these matches [in the IPL] help in terms of fitness and mental preparation," he said. "It's a challenging tournament before the World Cup and it is very helpful in the preparation, mentally and physically."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1180164

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    819 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Shami has to be in the playing XI. It does not swing in England in ODIs beyond the first 3-5 overs making Kumar's medium pace absolute cannon fodder. Shami can crank it up if needed.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Pahad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are days when Shami is literally unplayable on any surface. He actually intimidates batsmen with his pace and sharp bouncers.

But then there are days when he looks totally uninterested, bowling mid to late 130s. That's not good enough and I am not sure about his ability to turn it on at will.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In IPL he is bowling in mid 140s. He seems to have regained peak fitness.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has to start in the WC. He has been brilliant with the white ball in the last few months.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
    There are days when Shami is literally unplayable on any surface. He actually intimidates batsmen with his pace and sharp bouncers.

But then there are days when he looks totally uninterested, bowling mid to late 130s. That's not good enough and I am not sure about his ability to turn it on at will.
    Those are the days when he gets a call from his ex wife!

Yeah, Shami has that EX Factor!

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumrah
    Shami
    Kuldeep
    Chahal

That bowling lineup actually kind of scares me.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shami should obviously start in playing eleven. He was our best bowler in last WC. He is in rhythm. He is fast. And he takes wickets.

Bumrah and Shami will start along with 2 wrist spinner's. If needed and if weather is too English then bhuvi can play for a spinner.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Shami is much better than Kumar. Shami should play every game.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?