Hybrid View

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1783 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Mohammad Sami announced as captain of Islamabad United and Shadab Khan to be vice-captain for PSL 4

Islamabad United Media Release

Lahore, 04 February 2019 – Islamabad United, the winners of the inaugural HBL PSL and the defending PSL champions, is proud to announce that Mohammad Sami will captain the side for HBL PSL 4.

Mohammad Sami was picked up by Islamabad United in the Gold Category Draft for PSL1. Since then he has taken 37 wickets in 27 PSL matches at an economy rate of just 6.55. Sami is the second highest wicket taker in PSL history – the highest for Islamabad United – and his economy rate is second only to Rumman Raees among pacers in PSL history.

Sami, who played 136 international matches for Pakistan, has been an ever present for the franchise, and is the senior-most member of the squad for HBL PSL4.

Regarding the appointment, Ali Naqvi, the owner of the franchise said, “Sami has always served the franchise with utmost respect and honour. He has always conducted himself in way that defines us and has been one of the stars for the team over the past three years, winning multiple matches on his own. Furthermore, he has years of captaincy experience – he has captained various Karachi teams, on and off, for almost a decade now, and has been successful in that role. He was our first choice for the role, and we are pleased that he will be leading the franchise for this edition of the PSL.”

Mohammad Sami welcomed this appointment, saying, “It’s an honour for me that Islamabad United and Ali Naqvi have selected me to lead the franchise. I have always aimed to give my all to the team, to repay the faith that they have vested in him, and I hope that I will be able to rise to this challenge too. I feel privileged to have been given this opportunity and I hope that I will continue Islamabad United’s tradition of success.”

Islamabad United is one of the six franchise teams in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and is the winner of the first and third seasons of the PSL. The franchise believes in bringing change to Pakistani sports with the introduction of international standards of practice and a commitment to continuous progress.
    Last edited by MenInG; 4th February 2019 at 15:59.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought Faheem Ashraf was likely to be their captain.

Why are current Pakistani youngsters not being made captains??

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab was the right choice.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Muhammad Sami?

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ali Naqvi has disappointed a lot of people by that choice I am very sure about that.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Sami seriously???

Islamabad, you have disappointed me.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Glad to see Sami get a high profile role towards the end of his career

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This shows that Sarfaraz will lead Pakistan team for next 10 - 15 years

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I guess the criteria which got him captaincy was age?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    I guess the criteria which got him captaincy was age?
    Sami has captained before and won domestic T20 titles for Karachi as captain so it's unfair to say he doesn't fulfill criteria.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He will celebrate this honor by bowling a 24-ball over

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Think they were looking for a player who was available throughout the tournament and was not subjected to overseas quota. Gives them a bit more flexibility in terms of overseas players selection. Other local players were either too young to be captains or too inconsistent to merit their places in the 11.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    Think they were looking for a player who was available throughout the tournament and was not subjected to overseas quota. Gives them a bit more flexibility in terms of overseas players selection. Other local players were either too young to be captains or too inconsistent to merit their places in the 11.
    Faheem Ashraf? Talat Hussain? Rumman Raees?

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Faheem Ashraf? Talat Hussain? Rumman Raees?
    Faheem is inconsistent (why he was dropped from the 2nd T20), Talat we all known what he did Yesterday, Rumman is Injured (rehabilitating).

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    Faheem is inconsistent (why he was dropped from the 2nd T20), Talat we all known what he did Yesterday, Rumman is Injured (rehabilitating).
    Talat Emerged into the Pakistan side by performing well in the PSL. He’s a good batsman and will continue to improve.

Faheem would be a different player when the responsibility is on him to deliver for his team. He’s a good bowler and his batting will improve if he has to bat seriously for the team

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Talat Emerged into the Pakistan side by performing well in the PSL. Heís a good batsman and will continue to improve.

Faheem would be a different player when the responsibility is on him to deliver for his team. Heís a good bowler and his batting will improve if he has to bat seriously for the team
    Iíd like to see Talatís scores throughout last yearís PSL. On Faheem, I think he is just overrated. He has not done anything of substance to be classed as an all rounder. He struck a purple patch in last yearís PSL, in terms of bowling, that too on the back of poor batting standards in PSL.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumman Raees would have been a better option imo. But there isn't much clarity regarding his injury, he might be still injured.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I get that why IU decided to remove Misbah. But then when you replace him as captain with a 37 year then it makes no sense.

The reason why Sami was made captain is obvious. They had no other options. BUt then again they bought themselves to this situation

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    I get that why IU decided to remove Misbah. But then when you replace him as captain with a 37 year then it makes no sense.

The reason why Sami was made captain is obvious. They had no other options. BUt then again they bought themselves to this situation
    They should have retained Misbah who could have played in place of talat after all Misbah can play till 60s anyway. His love for cricket oh wait.....

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    They should have retained Misbah who could have played in place of talat after all Misbah can play till 60s anyway. His love for cricket oh wait.....
    doesn't matter.

this is a domestic tourney.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    doesn't matter.

this is a domestic tourney.
    Yes I know he got more of a chance representing Pakistan then the likes of Saif Badar, Zeeshan Malik etc. After all Misbah is still young and can play for us soon again he needs to use this PSL to push for selection for PCT.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The options are there, Faheem has played enough cricket for Pakistan to be considered as their captain with one of the senior overseas pros guiding him. The same goes with Talat Hussain.

It seems that Pakistani management in general is allergic to backing young talent to learn how to take senior responsibility

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The options are there, Faheem has played enough cricket for Pakistan to be considered as their captain with one of the senior overseas pros guiding him. The same goes with Talat Hussain.

It seems that Pakistani management in general is allergic to backing young talent to learn how to take senior responsibility
    its not about playing cricket.

Its about having leadership skills.

Talat is very soft spoken and shy.

I dont know about the leadership skills of Talat, Faheem or Shadab. If they have got the skills and could captain players senior then them, then it would had been well and good.

But to be honest, it doesn't matte who they make captain.

This team was built by misbah ul haq. Faheem, Shadab, Hussain Talat, Asif Ali, and many more were mostly Misbah's picks.

So if they make anyone the captain, they have to build the team around that person.

Now Sami and other players donot have the same voice as Misbah did. Misbah was made captain immediately and he got his picks.

Sami had to be made captain after the drafts and he obviously didn't get his picks.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Misbah was a liability with the batting and hogging a place in the side for a more deserving batsman. His captaincy wasn't needed as he only managed to played a few games and when he did, his role in the side was peripheral one, so only in your mind "they bought themselves to this situation".
    Last edited by topspin; 4th February 2019 at 17:12.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Misbah was a liability with the batting and hogging a place in the side for a more deserving batsman. His captaincy wasn't needed as he only managed to played a few games and when he did, his role in the side was peripheral one, so only in your mind "they bought themselves to this situation".
    which is why Peshawar made a special request to him to come in the Draft for their pick.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    which is why Peshawar made a special request to him to come in the Draft for their pick.
    An obvious blunder from Javed Afridi who was probably unaware of his stats last year: average of 19 @ SR 75 with a top score of 22.

Even the staunchest of Misbah supporters can acknowledge he is not good enough to make any PSL side on merit.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    An obvious blunder from Javed Afridi who was probably unaware of his stats last year: average of 19 @ SR 75 with a top score of 22.

Even the staunchest of Misbah supporters can acknowledge he is not good enough to make any PSL side on merit.
    It was just one off should replce babar after this PSL.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If they were gonna make some one like Sami captain then they shouldn’t have let Misbah go

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If Zalmi ends up keeping Misbah as their mentor, i would say that they made the move of the century by getting him into their team.

Having Misbah as part of the team management is a great addition. And to steal him from another franchise you have to offer what others are not offering.

Majority of the IU guys are hand picked players of Misbah. Asif Ali was a gem.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Zalmi ends up keeping Misbah as their mentor, i would say that they made the move of the century by getting him into their team.

Having Misbah as part of the team management is a great addition. And to steal him from another franchise you have to offer what others are not offering.

Majority of the IU guys are hand picked players of Misbah. Asif Ali was a gem.
    That gem has lost us the series. Who's the other gem salman, asad ali, khurram shehzad, imran khalid, hafeez, zulfi etc.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    That gem has lost us the series. Who's the other gem salman, asad ali, khurram shehzad, imran khalid, hafeez, zulfi etc.
    You missed the brightest of the lot - Rafatullah Mohammand

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    You missed the brightest of the lot - Rafatullah Mohammand
    Oh yes how can i forget him. Don't forget he benched Babar, Umar amin, Kamran Ghulam pretty much the whole season in PSL 1. But Babar and umar amin were injured. Zafar has hardly got a chance when grandad was the captain. Even last PSL when he wasn't playing talat was batting higher up.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good planning by IU, let Sami captain for a year or two before he retires and then hand the reigns to Shadab who looks like a future captain for Pakistan. Stuff like this is why theyíve been so successful in the psl so far.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sialkot
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping your non-performing VC is not a big deal, but dropping your Captain is.

Shadab will probably be dropped from Playing XI in second half of the league. Sami is not safe either.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1783 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Rumman Raees at the announcement, looking like someone who didn't want to be there....

Name:  IMG_20190204_161305.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  173.9 KB

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Islamabad will be a train wreck this season. There players are badly out of form and this appointment is cherry on top. One of the worst cricketing decision ever made. Don't understand the mindset what you will be gaining with these appointments and how it serves Pakistan cricket which should be the ultimate goal

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IU and their love for oldie captains. Here they had opportunity of a lifetime to make Rumman or Shadab captain, but no they went with 37 year old Sami.

I guess it is an improvement from 44 year old Misbah.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This pic reminds me, why isn't Rumman Raes in the T20 side anymore? Surely he can do better than Wahab 2.0, Shinwari of "4-0-63-0" fame.

Honestly pick any random bloke from the street and he may do better than Shinwari.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    This pic reminds me, why isn't Rumman Raes in the T20 side anymore? Surely he can do better than Wahab 2.0, Shinwari of "4-0-63-0" fame.

Honestly pick any random bloke from the street and he may do better than Shinwari.
    He hasn't regained full fitness after the injury during PSL 3. Hasn't played a game since then.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this whining needs to stop

each PSL franchise is a for-profit entity and they will do what they think gives them the best chance of winning the tournament. Sami has captained domestic in the past, and has done quite well as captain, he is a perfectly reasonable choice

the anger should be directed at the PCB - have they every made Shadab a captain for a domestic tournament like the national T20 cup?

If the PCB aren't willing to give someone new a chance in a domestic tournament, why should a PSL franchise experiment

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was supporting IU but after this decision I will go back to my LQ team and I hope they will win this time

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1007 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Third rate competition exposing itself again. Mohammad Sami could barely think for himself when was playing for the national team, let alone think for others.

However I do appreciate him still being able to crank up the pace at his age.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is depressing appointment as an IU fan. Why did we not go for a younger player?

We have given so many youngsters a chance but when we finally move on from Misbah we make player who will never play for Pakistan again the captain .

PSL will extend these oldies careers. The franchises seem to love selecting them, if they are getting pay checks for nothing of course they will keep entering the draft. Abdul Razzaq came out of retirement

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    This is depressing appointment as an IU fan. Why did we not go for a younger player?

We have given so many youngsters a chance but when we finally move on from Misbah we make player who will never play for Pakistan again the captain .

PSL will extend these oldies careers. The franchises seem to love selecting them, if they are getting pay checks for nothing of course they will keep entering the draft. Abdul Razzaq came out of retirement
    Did Razzaq got selected for any team?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Did Razzaq got selected for any team?
    No. But he shouldn't even be entering the draft. He knows that on reputation he had a chance of getting selected and getting a free pay check.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    No. But he shouldn't even be entering the draft. He knows that on reputation he had a chance of getting selected and getting a free pay check.
    he should have been taken atleast for less money.. Im sure he will do better than those UA and KA.. I heard that he is putting work on his fitness to get picked in PSL... Sad for him that no one picked him...

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Rumman Raees was going to be the skipper from what I hear, but the guy still isn't fit despite being out for over a year.

Seems like another shambles between the player and the PCB medics.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Rumman Raees was going to be the skipper from what I hear, but the guy still isn't fit despite being out for over a year.

Seems like another shambles between the player and the PCB medics.
    Name:  1549311480184.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  28.2 KB

I met him last Monday and asked him when will he play again to which he answered that he will take part in the upcoming PSL Inshaallah and will be the Captain hopefully, I guess he wasn't aware of management's plan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good decision

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great decision. Captaincy isnt a joke like some people make it seem.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You would expect a younger choice considering that Islamabad have been one of the only franchise to give youth a chance. Sami is a boring pick.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was expecting some sense from islu management was the best chance to promote young man as a captain rather than a 38 year old who is on his last legs

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny_majoka View Post
    i was expecting some sense from islu management was the best chance to promote young man as a captain rather than a 38 year old who is on his last legs
    I am sure there are quite a few factors at play
    - gets the karachi press on their side
    - allows shahdab to grow in to captaincy
    - high probability of a mid-season promotion for shadab since we have enough evidence of what happens to sami when under pressure

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Dimaag se

Stupid decision. Captaincy should have been handed over to young shadab.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid decision. Sami is approaching end of his playing days, Shadab would have been a good choice, as he could be a future captaincy candidate for Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Raees wasn't bad last time he did it, but there is obviously a question mark over his availability.

Looking through the squad, there are hardly any captaincy options, so they went with someone who has been part of islu the longest and most experienced, which is a fair decision.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    Raees wasn't bad last time he did it, but there is obviously a question mark over his availability.

Looking through the squad, there are hardly any captaincy options, so they went with someone who has been part of islu the longest and most experienced, which is a fair decision.
    Also has to be mentioned that sami has done quite well as captain in domestic t20's

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Also has to be mentioned that sami has done quite well as captain in domestic t20's
    I don't think I've seen his captaincy, so can't say much about it.

It will be interesting to see his captaincy.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5080 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Shadab has been rewarded for flopping last year.