Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1789 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

India firm favourites for World Cup: Wasim Akram

NEW DELHI: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram feels that India are firm favourites to win the forthcoming World Cup in England.

In his column for the Times of India, Akram wrote, "Among the teams that are involved in the cricket World Cup, Pakistan have always been an outfit that people loved to watch and follow. You can never write them off. India look firm favourites for me. New Zealand are the dark horses, but Pakistan are right up there."

Arguably the best left-arm pacer to play the game, Akram gave credit to the Pakistan Super League and the Pakistan Cricket Board for the resurgence of Pakistan cricket.

"I'll give credit to the Pakistan Super League and our board for the resurgence of Pakistan cricket. We have a young side - apart from a Mohammad Hafez and a Shoaib Malik, everyone is in their mid 20s. They are young, as well as experienced. The fielding also has improved. After the Pakistan Super League, Pakistan are playing five ODIs in England against England, which would be ideal practice before the World Cup," Akram added.

Akram marked out Faheem Ashraf for special praise and hoped that he improves both his bowling and batting to become a match-winner.

"The one Pakistan cricketer I want to see perform is Faheem Ashraf, because he's been the all-rounder Pakistan are looking for. He just has to improve his bowling a bit, and be consistent with the bat. He can be a match-winner. Shadab Khan (leg-spinner) was the Man of the Match against South Africa on Wednesday night. I also want Rizwan to perform because that can put pressure on Sarfraz Ahmed. Babar Azam, who was the best batsman on the difficult South Africa tour, looks confident and is in good nick. However, to prevent over-confidence, he must forget about what he did in South Africa," Akram opined.

Akram expressed happiness on how the Pakistan Super League is shaping up.

"It's the fourth season of PSL now, and it has been the most-watched league in Pakistan TV history - 70% of Pakistanis watched it last year. Everyone supports one team or the other. Everything is very well-organised," Akram concluded.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...6.cms?from=mdr

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Writing an article for Times of India lol he has to say that not England

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Wasim says, this is true..

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter.They were favorites in Champions trophy also and we know what happened

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fairly obvious India are one of the favourites if not out and our favourites.. However a tournament like WC you need to be consistent and not let pressure get to you at any stage so hopefully the team does well.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kailash Parvat Himalaya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullycricket View Post
    Doesn't matter.They were favorites in Champions trophy also and we know what happened
    And that prediction almost came true as India did went all the way to the final.

Going by reputation and form India and England are odds on favourites by far.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim Akram always making Pro-India comments

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    741 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Miracles don't usually happen twice, expect India to canter to WC glory this time.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    He is not wrong you know, India has been amazingly consistent in limited overs format for a very long time, anything can happen in a tournament but top performers are always considered favourites beofre the cup begins.

If you only wanna hear anti Indian statements only you need to follow Javed Miandad and Basit Ali.
    Last edited by Hyperion66; 8th February 2019 at 15:24.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think India's demolition of NZ in the recent ODI series at their backyard and England's weak bowling attack should be enough to tell you who's the favourite among these top 2 sides in ODIs.

Wasim isn't saying this to appease Indians. The likes of Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar would say the same if the respective teams were reverse in calibre.
    Last edited by topspin; 8th February 2019 at 15:37.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol wasim just want to please indians.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is it wrong to say the truth?

only fighters rise up from the dust..

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    And that prediction almost came true as India did went all the way to the final.

Going by reputation and form India and England are odds on favourites by far.
    No they are not and surely not ENG. They never won a 50 over ICC trophy and will chocke again.

India for sure will reach the semis and from there on its all about the pressure and execution.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favourites in general world - A team that has the most chance of winning according to current form. Doesn't mean they will.

Favourites in PP - Not India

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post
    No they are not and surely not ENG. They never won a 50 over ICC trophy and will chocke again.

India for sure will reach the semis and from there on its all about the pressure and execution.
    if neither India or nor England is favorite for world cup 2019 then who is according to you

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bah. i half expect india to defy expectations and inexplicably crash out before the semis

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasimís analysis & his predictions are epic lmao.. writing for tof too lol

Waiting for the day when there will be no p....i player in a green shirt

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kailash Parvat Himalaya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Navdeep Srivastava View Post
    if neither India or nor England is favorite for world cup 2019 then who is according to you
    Same question.

Team with best form going into the world is by definition the favourite. England might not have won a World Cup but they have been to many finals. They have enough history playing at the very top.

Why the insecurity? Being he favourite means nothing anyway. In fact it just adds pressure. I would rather have India go into the world not being complacement as favourites.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of our Pak friends are so salty 😂 Sorry brothers Pak is no longer a big team and most certainly not a fav for the WC, cope with it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Same question.

Team with best form going into the world is by definition the favourite. England might not have won a World Cup but they have been to many finals. They have enough history playing at the very top.

Why the insecurity? Being he favourite means nothing anyway. In fact it just adds pressure. I would rather have India go into the world not being complacement as favourites.
    Some posters can't stand anyone putting India as better than Pakistan.. it's not their fault the upbringing has been to dislike/hate India.. One can only hope with time they realise it's not worth all the bitterness for no reason which harms themselves and no one else..

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1856 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    England are the clear cut favorites. India comes in second spot as of now. Biggest worry regarding India as of now is unforeseen injury to key players. I expect both team to make it to semi finals.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think Wasim is correct.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I think Wasim is correct.
    I concur. I would fancy India over England most days of the week, their batting was always top notch, now they have a pace attack the equal of others, they would take some stopping. England's batting is still suspect, especially with the retirement of Cook.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5098 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Not sure why some people are moaning. India and England are the two best ODI teams by some distance, and unless they greatly underperform, they should meet in the final. In recent years, the World Cup has not been a tournament of upsets. The heavy favourites have won the last four editions. I expect the trend to continue with either of the two fancied teams going all the way.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that heís wrong , but it seems to me like Wasim Akram knows exactly what and when to say to make big headlines in all Indian newspapers.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Ind are undoubtedly fav but as the CT showed, on the day its anyones game.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On paper they are somewhat favorites. I won't be shocked if they exit very early. This middle order is the most uninspiring since 1975 world cup squad.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people think Wasim is kissing ***.
    India is definitely the favourite along with England.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan is the favorite one to win because the WC is in England. It is their cup to lose.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    nothing too controversial there. India is trampling pretty much everyone in world cricket at the moment. Worryingly for a lot of their opponents, its full of players built for playing the big moments.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Patriot View Post
    Why do people think Wasim is kissing ***.
    India is definitely the favourite along with England.
    Yes, that is a fact anyone who denies it is just being blind.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no Australia 00s or Windies 80s teams going around - favorites mean nothing for this world cup.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    Some posters can't stand anyone putting India as better than Pakistan.. it's not their fault the upbringing has been to dislike/hate India.. One can only hope with time they realise it's not worth all the bitterness for no reason which harms themselves and no one else..
    does your logic also apply to sachin ?hate in upbringing to hate/dislike pakistan .he certainly have ignored good cricket from pakistan in ct and next day tweet about india win against pakistan hockey.Was he afraid of backlash from public?
    Last edited by saeed5646; 8th February 2019 at 22:24.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    3rd Rock from an average star :)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Virat_Kohli_fan View Post
    There are no Australia 00s or Windies 80s teams going around - favorites mean nothing for this world cup.
    Windies of 80s won absolutely nothing at the global level in ODIs. Yeah there is no aussie 00 team and may never be another one

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    3rd Rock from an average star :)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No India are not the firm favorites, England are. Second would be India closely followed by Australia and NZ. I would never write off pakistan as the problem with most pakistan teams is related to playing as a team rather than the skill and ability to win. Pakistan may struggle a bit due to round Robin format.. If they manage to make it to semis they will only be behind Australia and India. Australia, India and Pakistan are the favorites in that order to win key knock out matches.

West indies team is flying low but they are doing well under Holder captancy as a team. The results are fully not there in LOIS but you never know. They have the team to go all the way

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CadPakFan View Post
    Yes, that is a fact anyone who denies it is just being blind.
    I dont think you understand, it's an opinion not a fact.

According to the bookmakers England are the favourites. This means most people are expected to bet on England to win. It makes sense since England is the no.1 ODI team, they are playing at home and have the best batting line up by far.

India can win it too if they play really well but have weaknesses. The middle order is average, 5th bowler could be an issue and they bottled it badly in the CT final, the biggest defeat of all time in a final.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    I dont think you understand, it's an opinion not a fact.

According to the bookmakers England are the favourites. This means most people are expected to bet on England to win. It makes sense since England is the no.1 ODI team, they are playing at home and have the best batting line up by far.

India can win it too if they play really well but have weaknesses. The middle order is average, 5th bowler could be an issue and they bottled it badly in the CT final, the biggest defeat of all time in a final.
    England bottled in the final in 2013. And India atleast reached a final in 2017. Why do you hype england then? lol I don't say India will win. But it is all relative.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I concur. I would fancy India over England most days of the week, their batting was always top notch, now they have a pace attack the equal of others, they would take some stopping. England's batting is still suspect, especially with the retirement of Cook.
    This is odis and the world cup we are talking about in england - wheds does cook come into it?

Id say england are favs The way they have played ovef the last 2-3 years and being at home Theyve got to be backed

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    England bottled in the final in 2013. And India atleast reached a final in 2017. Why do you hype england then? lol I don't say India will win. But it is all relative.
    I was at the ground in 2013, England were well on track to win but lost a wicket at crucial time in a rain interuppted game and things changed in a close encounter.

There is no hype for England, they are undisputed no.1 team in ODI cricket and have score 300+ runs on more occasions than any other team(recent times). Again the bookmakers have them clear favourites @ 9/4 while India is 10/3.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was at the ground in 2013, England were well on track to win but lost a wicket at crucial time in a rain interuppted game and things changed in a close encounter.

There is no hype for England, they are undisputed no.1 team in ODI cricket and have score 300+ runs on more occasions than any other team(recent times). Again the bookmakers have them clear favourites @ 9/4 while India is 10/3.
    Just because you were at the ground it doesn't mean they won. What happened to their "superior batting" in 2017? England is a team that bottles up or they are shown up against good bowling. They are favorites only on paper. I don't expect them to go all the way. If Smith sneaks in i would put Australia ahead.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Agree with Wasim, India are too good right now. That being said, even if somebody is favorites, it only takes 1 game for them to be out of the equation. Saw it with England in the 2017 CT.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In right conditions Rashid khan run through this slogger line up from England. Do they face each other?

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Just because you were at the ground it doesn't mean they won. What happened to their "superior batting" in 2017? England is a team that bottles up or they are shown up against good bowling. They are favorites only on paper. I don't expect them to go all the way. If Smith sneaks in i would put Australia ahead.
    lol. Did I say they won? Only Root, Morgan and Butler will play from the 2013 final team yet you are basing England batting today on the team of 2013. Great logic

What do you mean favourites on paper? lol. As I explained 'favourites' are determined by the amount of people backing them and the bookmakers expect most people, many more than India to back England.

Please do quote me again

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lol. Did I say they won? Only Root, Morgan and Butler will play from the 2013 final team yet you are basing England batting today on the team of 2013. Great logic

What do you mean favourites on paper? lol. As I explained 'favourites' are determined by the amount of people backing them and the bookmakers expect most people, many more than India to back England.

Please do quote me again
    One reason bookie favorite is different from cricketers is because of the performance history of different teams in bigger tournaments. If Smith and Warner play i hedge my bet on Australia.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not surprising. Wasim Bhai gets more love in India than in Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, given the genius of the player Wasim Bhai was, he doesn't get the same love in Pakistan as he gets in India. Pakistan owe their biggest ICC tournament win to Waz bhai only.

In contrast, Indians do appreciate and admire a great talent from all corners of the world particularly, if it gets exploited well.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 9th February 2019 at 02:54.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Unfortunately, given the genius of the player Wasim Bhai was, he doesn't get the same love in Pakistan as he gets in India. Pakistan owe their biggest ICC tournament win to Waz bhai only.

In contrast, Indians do appreciate and admire a great talent from all corners of the world particularly, if it gets exploited well.
    Waz bhai was great throughout the WC, but Inzi, Imran and Miandad were as important, if not more. Indians might be an ignorant bunch, but Pakistanis clearly are not. We appreciate all the architects of that win, not just the one who spent a lot of time in India for commentary and coaching assignments.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He was a great bowler, arguably the GOAT for Pakistan but he is an awful commentator and writer on the game. He's done good things for Pak in the past but he's a human being, no need to worship sports stars blindly. If they are good in other roles great, if they are not then it's best to say it how it is.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India and England are the favourites for the WC. Don't understand why posters are saying stuff such as " he's looking for an IPL contract" lol. I would love to know if a player was ever signed in the IPL after saying positive things about it .

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India Definite Favourites

Im a Pakistani fan, but there is no doubt it's India (NOT England) that are favorites, however; this is also shaping up to be the most competitive world cup i can remember.

Pakistan, New Zealand, England are not far behind, Aussies would have been there if not for their core players being banned.

I'm also excited to see South Africans showing some form with the bat top of the order now.

Bangladesh, Windies, Afghanistan can upset when they play good cricket.

only team i feel has no chance in hell is Sri Lanka.

This contest is wide open and im really looking forward to it

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Need Junaid Khan and Rumman Raees back urgently! They are the only half decent pacers who can give some sense and stability to the bowling.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with Waz, India's top three of Rohit, Dhawan and Kohli is lethal. Makes me laugh to think back when we rolled out Azhar Ali and Ahmed Shehzad as openers at the beginning of the last CT.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Need Junaid Khan and Rumman Raees back urgently! They are the only half decent pacers who can give some sense and stability to the bowling.
    Junaid is a must if you want to have any chance at the WC, no idea why Inzi keeps neglecting him despite recent performances. Kick out Amir, Shinwari and Faheem with utter disdain. Junaid, Shaheen, Hassan and Rumman makes a pretty good attack. Junaid and Shaheen with the new ball will be an exciting watch.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    nothing too controversial there. India is trampling pretty much everyone in world cricket at the moment. Worryingly for a lot of their opponents, its full of players built for playing the big moments.
    Agreed, they have threats in every department. Just in batting alone if Rohit/Dhawan don’t get you Kohli will, if he doesn’t then they have like 3-4 guys on rotation on the bench to make the runs and then you have Pandya and co lower down.

If the pitches are anything like CT17 then the odds are in their favor.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt they have a great chance. I am still making England the favourites.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Rumman will add some variety to our bowling, we have pacers and spinners, I guess we need someone who is neither a pacer nor a spinner.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if we didn't knew that, even a blind man can say that india is the team most likely to win the wc

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In the last 6 months India have played 17 ODI in toughest places like SA England Australia and Newzeland winning 12 out of them with the best winning percentage for any travelling team so they will start as favorites for the cup.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England still no 1 favourites,but we are second.If only we had the middle order of 2011 or even something reliable we would be unstoppable.Well even if we cant make it this time 2023 must be non negotiable victory on home soil with pant,gill,shaw settled in.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    Junaid is a must if you want to have any chance at the WC, no idea why Inzi keeps neglecting him despite recent performances. Kick out Amir, Shinwari and Faheem with utter disdain. Junaid, Shaheen, Hassan and Rumman makes a pretty good attack. Junaid and Shaheen with the new ball will be an exciting watch.
    Aamir took Kohlis wicket during ct2017. Cannot keep him out. Aamir is the only chance we have.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is telling it because IPL is coming soon......

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England are the best team going into the coming world cup, unless they have a disastrous few months.

India will be second favourites and rightfully so but this is a tournament that will be decided by those teams with the best legs, for there are so many matches in the first part of the tournament. Consistency, consistency, consistency.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lots of pressure on England for playing at home and India as usual. Kohli will be roasted if Dhoni fails and India loses. Despite that I see Eng, India steamrolling their opponents until SF

I think the most fascinating games will involve the following similarly matched teams- Pak, NZ, SA, AUS.

I have high hopes for WI but BD will surprise one of India or England.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India with their weak middle order wonít be winning anything. They should have dropped Dhoni, Rayadu, jhadhav and instead gone with Pant, Shaw and Raina and then they could have made a case. Indiaís middle order is their Achilles heel.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    does your logic also apply to sachin ?hate in upbringing to hate/dislike pakistan .he certainly have ignored good cricket from pakistan in ct and next day tweet about india win against pakistan hockey.Was he afraid of backlash from public?
    I don't know Sachin personally, but Pakistani players like Wasim and Shoaib have mentioned that they used to ear our together after games and most Indian and Pakistan players were friends.

I don't know if he hates Pakistan or not neither do I know if he was afraid of backlash or not.. Maybe he didn't want negativity on his Twitter who knows?

The logic applies to some Indians as well. But since this topic and subsequent comments were mostly from Pakistanis I mentioned some Pakistanis..

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Ah ok, that settles it. Why have the tournament and the 70,000 games then? The bookmakers are boss.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was held in Asia then def yes.

Otherwise I don’t have them as favourites because conditions play a part in England. If you have decent bowlers you can defend decent scores in England. But if the pitch is flat a good batting line can chase a big score as well.

So any of the top 4/5 teams can win it, depending on the pitch and conditions on the day. Even Pakistan have a chance as well if their bowling can click like it did in the CT17.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan go in as proper underdogs in this tournament. The team that we took to WC2015 was a joke, and no one gave us a chance.

And people say nothing has improved.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mystical man View Post
    In the last 6 months India have played 17 ODI in toughest places like SA England Australia and Newzeland winning 12 out of them with the best winning percentage for any travelling team so they will start as favorites for the cup.
    Who cares? Did the ball swing? For all we know, the opposition bowlers bowled half volleys and full tosses for 50 overs.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Who cares? Did the ball swing? For all we know, the opposition bowlers bowled half volleys and full tosses for 50 overs.
    Sure they all wanted IPL contracts and reserved their best only against Pakistan 🇵🇰 which in my opinion is unfair as their performances should be lowered to suit the needs of the Pakistan team. 🎊

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Basically there is no "Australian team of 2000s" You cannot say so and so team will win with out using "IF" condition.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post
    If it was held in Asia then def yes.

Otherwise I don’t have them as favourites because conditions play a part in England. If you have decent bowlers you can defend decent scores in England. But if the pitch is flat a good batting line can chase a big score as well.

So any of the top 4/5 teams can win it, depending on the pitch and conditions on the day. Even Pakistan have a chance as well if their bowling can click like it did in the CT17.
    Conditions in Eng are more batting friendly than in SC . While 320 is par on some of the pitches in India , in Eng even 350 is not safe . Yeah you have those rare days when it swings early on , but thatís hit that ..rare . Eng are form favs though , India will fancy their chances cos of their bowling imo

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was a great bowler, arguably the GOAT for Pakistan but he is an awful commentator and writer on the game. He's done good things for Pak in the past but he's a human being, no need to worship sports stars blindly. If they are good in other roles great, if they are not then it's best to say it how it is.
    I don't think I am worshipping any player or have ever done but you surely love them for their performances and their skills.

However, what he has said is absolutely spot-on and most cricketers round the world would agree. A team that has won ODI series in every corner of the world except one country where they ended up with a close 1-2 loss and last time made it to finals there are the favourites for this tournament, more so given that England have this element of bottling in big games.

It is a common understanding if someone says, India are favourites and this doesn't make him an awful analyser of the game.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think I am worshipping any player or have ever done but you surely love them for their performances and their skills.

However, what he has said is absolutely spot-on and most cricketers round the world would agree. A team that has won ODI series in every corner of the world except one country where they ended up with a close 1-2 loss and last time made it to finals there are the favourites for this tournament, more so given that England have this element of bottling in big games.

It is a common understanding if someone says, India are favourites and this doesn't make him an awful analyser of the game.
    Again they are not favourites because most people will not back India over England. They may be Akram's pick to win, yours or others but this is not the same as being favourites. Akram is a terrible commentator and analyst. If he was writing for an Aussie paper he would pick them, English paper he would pick them etc. Btw no team has ever bottled in a final like India did in the CT and this was recently.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again they are not favourites because most people will not back India over England. They may be Akram's pick to win, yours or others but this is not the same as being favourites. Akram is a terrible commentator and analyst. If he was writing for an Aussie paper he would pick them, English paper he would pick them etc. Btw no team has ever bottled in a final like India did in the CT and this was recently.
    India have won CT the most. So, gifting this once to our beloved padosis is not a big deal for us

However, in WCs, it is unlikely that it will happen. England have bottled it in CT 2017 at home as well, they bottled it vs WI in WT20(four balls-four sixes) and they bottled it vs even Bangladesh in WC 2015, not to forget the choke in CT 2013 at home as well. It is quite an obvious reason why a GOAT cricketer and any sensible person would consider India as favourites.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Ah ok, that settles it. Why have the tournament and the 70,000 games then? The bookmakers are boss.
    lol. This is how the concept of favourites is decided by how many people back them with money. Can't believe so many people dont understand this simple concept.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India have won CT the most. So, gifting this once to our beloved padosis is not a big deal for us

However, in WCs, it is unlikely that it will happen. England have bottled it in CT 2017 at home as well, they bottled it vs WI in WT20(four balls-four sixes) and they bottled it vs even Bangladesh in WC 2015, not to forget the choke in CT 2013 at home as well. It is quite an obvious reason why a GOAT cricketer and any sensible person would consider India as favourites.
    Fine, this is your opininon and that is all it is. The same for Akram and the thousands of other cricketers or commentators who will give their view. Should we start a thread every time any cricketer picks his team to win? Favourites are decided by the amount of people backing a team which is England for the World Cup. If you think it's India, fine but you canot dismiss the fact most dont.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So not reaching final at all is better than bottling in final? lol I really like to see what kind of logic is that.
    Last two CT happened in England. England won neither of it. India reached final in both times and won once. I accept India may not be the favorites in reality. But the reasons you give are not really convincing.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Not sure why some people are moaning. India and England are the two best ODI teams by some distance, and unless they greatly underperform, they should meet in the final. In recent years, the World Cup has not been a tournament of upsets. The heavy favourites have won the last four editions. I expect the trend to continue with either of the two fancied teams going all the way.
    They may meet in semi final also

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    lol. This is how the concept of favourites is decided by how many people back them with money. Can't believe so many people dont understand this simple concept.
    I wonder who were declared the favourites in CT 2017 then. Pakistan?

Have some Sehwag in your life.