Instagram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your opinion regarding the duration of the Pakistan Super League?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be shorter

5 19.23%
  • It's just right

18 69.23%
  • It should be longer

3 11.54%
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1790 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Is the duration of the PSL just the right length for it to be interesting? Or should it be longer?

IPL

52 days - 29 March to 19 May
    Last edited by MenInG; 9th February 2019 at 15:23.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The length is just perfect, no need stretching it.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The length is perfectly fine!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    The quality of cricket in PSL is poor. The duration is fine, anything beyond that could result in people losing interest. IPL is the only league that can afford to go on and on for over 50 days and still keep the fans engaged. Along with the WT20, it is the highest form of T20 cricket in the world.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IPL has the stars so it's length it's tolerable. But other T20 leagues should try not go beyond 35 days.

PSL length is fine. Playing in the UAE doesn't help.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You cannot play for a month and call it a league. Even the IPL is not ideal. A minimum of 4 month is needed and sooner rather than later, it will get there. From February through May.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The length is fine but it need some changes when the whole PSL move back to pakistan
    1) February to march schedule is pretty much book for all the top international teams.i think it should be held from November to December which will allow more current top players to play in PSL.
    2)Every team should be allotted with home ground which means six venue for 6 psl team .4 home matches with 4 away .It is big ask but can be done .Currently two grounds are international standard in pakistan .Pcb need to work on other 4 stadium .

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a bit too long, no league should be longer than 25 to max 27 days.

International cricket all the way!

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I tend to lose interest after 2-3 weeks.

I think 3 weeks should be the maximum.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I tend to lose interest after 2-3 weeks.

I think 3 weeks should be the maximum.
    2 more teams will make things more interesting as well...

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the length is fine. My issue is with the structure, 60 matches in the group stage, with play off matches and then the final. There is the potential of sides playing each other too many sides.

They should have placed the teams into groups, then had semi finals and then the final.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Make it 4 to accommodate every alpha beta of domestic cricket & retired foreign players.
    Last edited by xricket; 9th February 2019 at 17:47.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    3-4 weeks is perfect.

IPL and BBL are way too long and the middle phase becomes tedious at best.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We might see length increased a bit with additional 1 or 2 teams in coming editions. Still with each team playing 12 or 14 matches time frame can be controlled.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Not necessarily.

More teams doesn't guarantee a better tournament.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    BANGLORE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The quality of cricket in PSL is poor. The duration is fine, anything beyond that could result in people losing interest. IPL is the only league that can afford to go on and on for over 50 days and still keep the fans engaged. Along with the WT20, it is the highest form of T20 cricket in the world.
    sorry to disappoint you brother but here in India its not so interesting especially the middle phase.. only the start and finals

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wish they made a proper domestic league, similar to the NFL, which could be much longer. The team to win the league would get promoted to the super league. I have no interest in Pakistan domestic cricket because it's not appealing and it's a mess. Those ridiculous names of the teams don't help either.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The cricket enthusiast View Post
    sorry to disappoint you brother but here in India its not so interesting especially the middle phase.. only the start and finals
    Maybe for you and a few others, but I don't think that is the case for the majority. The stadiums are full even during the middle-phase of the tournament.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    BANGLORE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe for you and a few others, but I don't think that is the case for the majority. The stadiums are full even during the middle-phase of the tournament.
    usually we just check.. score online.. and watch last few overs... if the match seems interesting..and going till the final over..
    no one really care about who wins..
    being from banglore i never supported banglore

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IPL should be reduced to 32 matches overall with only 1 round robin and thus home/away rubbish should be done away with. Just play at neutral venues and he done with. Shouldn't take more than 5 weeks to be honest.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quality is poor compared to what?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For a league that you consider poor you spend alot of time discussing it.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think it is just right... 6 teams is more than enough. We don't have the bank of talent to go to 7 or 8 teams.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Should be increased.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should not be longer than 3 weeks.

No need for every team to play each other twice once we have another team or two.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily.

But does guarantee youngsters getting more chances.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Big Bash has went on far too long. I think that PSL is a decent length. Any longer and it will start to feel boring.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't think its not about the length of a league. People are getting fed-up with BBL because its local audience has been moving towards other sports like football at a rapid pace whereas the international audience doesn't have enough emotional investment to follow a particular franchise throughout the season. But again its just my opinion and others can feel differently.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think it is fine, no need to stretch it more.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should only be increased if we add more teams.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a poor initial argument. Of course the quality level isn't top notch. The elite of the world is prepping for IPL. We're second tier. Also, ours is a league only in its 4th season. He is expecting a finished product. IPL now in it's second decade is still trying to get it's balance right. It takes many seasons for a league to rise in quality. If PSL is still of the same quality in season 10 then we have a problem. As long as there is improvement year over year we will be fine. Sometimes people speak without thinking.

As the seasons go on, the owners will continue to learn, the coaches, the players. People talk about crowds, but in the UAE I don't know why anyone is expecting full houses. Mostly laborers, with minimal disposable incomes alongwith middle of the week matches. The more interesting part will be the in Pakistan matches. If attendence there is poor then we have a problem. Otherwise, as moreatches move to Pakistan, crown quality will improve as well.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    new delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily.

And the additional teams would mean a longer tournament , though i agree 5 teams is too few given 4 of them qualify for the knockouts

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    new delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon751 View Post
    And the additional teams would mean a longer tournament , though i agree 5 teams is too few given 4 of them qualify for the knockouts
    my bad, forgot there are 6 teams this year

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    For a league that you consider poor you spend alot of time discussing it.
    I won’t be watching it this year. I am done with it.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Quality is poor compared to what?
    The gold standard in franchise T20 cricket - IPL.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I kinda like PSL. Fun watch, nothing too dramatic and fits in the schedule. Don't like doubleheaders though but making it long just makes it more costly.

ya aenu chuk lay ya mainu aenu chukkan di taaqat day

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1709 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh what a loss for PSL

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kailash Parvat Himalaya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In Quality/Duration ratio PSL is well ahead of any T20 league in the world. That justifies further investment into making it a longer league.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the number of participating teams in the tournament, it's the perfect length.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    The gold standard in franchise T20 cricket - IPL.
    I cannot believe people comparing PSL to IPL, BBL or even CPL.

The leading runscorers of the first three editions of the PSL tell you everything you need to know about the quality of this league.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sed this.....
    A huge loss for Pakistan Cricket in general and PSL in particular, wonder what steps will governing body of PSL do to deal with this...

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1790 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Just right - BBL is a joke with the so many days - also not good for players fitness etc.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Psl is perfect length, shouldn’t be any longer

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the duration is just about fine. I am not sure when people comment on the quality of PSL. I mean what is the evaluation based upon, to compare a league with world richest sporting body's league that has been around for 11 odd years is ridiculous. I mean do we need dead pitches for batsmen to score at will? Do we need cheerleaders to spice things up a bit?

I mean this criticism for the sake of criticism just because they dont like pak cricket is utter nonsense.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh what a loss for PSL
    You mean the ratings will drop, and all owners will have to look for a bail out maybe

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrai View Post
    I wish they made a proper domestic league, similar to the NFL, which could be much longer. The team to win the league would get promoted to the super league. I have no interest in Pakistan domestic cricket because it's not appealing and it's a mess. Those ridiculous names of the teams don't help either.
    The NFL is basically the premier football league and so all of the top Gridiron players participate in the league, therefore, they can afford to make it go on for many months (I believe the pre-season phase in the NFL lasts for 4-6 weeks itself). PSL, IPL, etc. are all (premier) domestic leagues and shouldn't be longer than two months (like this edition of BBL is/was), as we also have international cricket which is all year long. Furthermore with the amount of premier T20 leagues and international cricket and first class cricket, etc. fans will tend to lose interest, whereas there is only one NFL. Other than NFL there is only college football and numerous NFL fans don't follow that.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is just right... 6 teams is more than enough. We don't have the bank of talent to go to 7 or 8 teams.
    Or the home grounds.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    Big Bash has went on far too long. I think that PSL is a decent length. Any longer and it will start to feel boring.
    Yeah. Many people have lost interest and not following too closely. Yes they still show up to matches but that is because CA and the BBL also provides other entertainment in the matches (they even have a pool in the stands of one of their stadiums!!) therefore people show up for the experience whenever a match happens in their area, however, now with all of the important matches and finals happening in February, the summer holidays (school) in Australia has ended and therefore many people (families) don't have plans to go to the stadiums to actually watch these, or to even watch them on TV. Since BBL targets the family and child audience in Australia, this is actually a down-fall. They were better off starting the season earlier if it really had to go on this long, or make it two matches a day for a few days (especially since they have Fox and Channel 7 broadcasting the league).

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Indians dont value IPL so much as you.Kohli wanted his bowlers to skip IPL for World cup and you think it's highest form of T20 cricket.You hold PSL in Pak and see the crowds.Quality I don't know how you measure as it's subjective.If you mean that flop international players making ton of runs in PSL then that is true for IPL also with Unadkat etc.Also Psl is in intial stages and has already achieved a lot.Remember at one time even Akash Chopra played in IPL

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullycricket View Post
    Even Indians dont value IPL so much as you.Kohli wanted his bowlers to skip IPL for World cup and you think it's highest form of T20 cricket.You hold PSL in Pak and see the crowds.Quality I don't know how you measure as it's subjective.If you mean that flop international players making ton of runs in PSL then that is true for IPL also with Unadkat etc.Also Psl is in intial stages and has already achieved a lot.Remember at one time even Akash Chopra played in IPL
    The World Cup is obviously more important than the IPL, just like how ODI cricket is deemed more important than T20I cricket. For example, most teams prefer to give fringe players an opportunity in T20Is but not in ODIs.

The reason why I consider IPL the highest form of T20 cricket along with World T20s is because in bilateral T20 cricket, most teams do not play their full-strength teams. However, in the IPL, you have 90% of the best players in the world playing alongside each other, and that is why the standard of cricket is higher compared to other leagues like PSL, BBL, CPL, BPL etc.

No other league comes anywhere close to the IPL when it comes to the participation of the best players in the world. The pool of foreign players is the only objective measure of the standard of a T20 league.