User Tag List

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Babar Azam a family man, sends back entire salary home: Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur

Babar Azam a family man, sends back entire salary home: Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur

Sports

Updated Feb 09, 2019 | 14:43 IST | Times Now Digital

Mickey Arthur has given insights on how Pakistan's cricket star Babar Azam is off the field. Revealing how much of a family man he is, Arthur said that the batsman sends his entire earnings back home.

Pakistan cricketer Babar Azam has risen to the limelight by his great batting display off late and is considered to be one of the top batsmen in the world at the moment. In the recently concluded tour of South Africa, Babar was the only player who rose to the occasion and performed in each format of the game. He even took Dale Steyn, South's Africa's all-time leading Test wicket-taker to the cleaners in the series. Although Pakistan lost the series, Azam's performance can be seen as one positive from the series.

Pakistan's head coach Mickey Arthur has revealed something about the batsmen which will win the hearts of his supporters and win him much appreciation. The coach revealed that the player sends all of his earnings back home to his family, an act which is something for everyone to be proud of. Arthur also told that the entire family is immensely proud Azam, who has been driving his old Honda until last year. Azam's father recently got him a new car to replace the worn out vehicle he has been driving for long.

“Babar Azam is among the five most talented batsmen in the world. Do you know he sends every penny of his income home – most of them do,” Arthur told Pakistan daily Business Recorder. “Then, one night round the family dinner table, his father made a short speech saying how much honour his son had brought to the family and how they loved him. Whereupon he gave Babar a set of car keys and outside the door was a brand new white Honda.”

The Pakistan head coach further revealed that Azam is so proud of the car gifted to him by his family that he compared his prized possession with Australian cricketer's Chris Lynn's Lamborghini.

The Lahore batsman averages 51 and 53 respectively, in the ODI and T20 format and a lot would be expected from him during the ICC World Cup in England, as Pakistan look to bag their second consecutive ICC trophy.

Link: https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-arthur/362700

Comments: Lol, why single out Babar when most of them do it.

Also it looks to be tad impractical for Babar to send all his earnings back to his family, how does he survive on tour then? I remember seeing a show with Mohd Wasim and Saqlain Mushtaq where they both explained that the players in the 90's would try to find economical eating options on tour so that they could save up as much of the daily allowances as possible so that they could maximize the amount of money they send home.

But this is very scary as to how much the families of these players depend on them, literally being dropped from the national side to the pittance of domestic cricket is the difference between a life of comfort and poverty.

Akhtar in his autobiography mentioned that the players are always on edge, worried, take strong anti depressants and mood stabilizers like Xanax, Prozac to cope with the pressures of being dropped, poor performances and are unable to work on their games in a relaxed frame of mind.

But my question is what do the players do with their money once they have played for the national team for a year minimum. I suspect they probably buy accommodation for the family members, cars, get their younger siblings into school, get sisters married off, can they invest in rental properties or businesses to have some comfortable level of income coming in? Don't these players have departmental cricketing jobs where they have a regular guaranteed paycheque coming in?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Babar is not from an impoverished background. He might be sending all his money home, but he is not burdened with putting food on the table for his family.

In fact, most players in this current team come from families who can make ends meet without solely relying on their cricket income.
    Last edited by MenInG; 9th February 2019 at 21:35.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nothing surprising here.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Akhtar in his autobiography mentioned that the players are always on edge, worried, take strong anti depressants and mood stabilizers like Xanax, Prozac to cope with the pressures of being dropped, poor performances and are unable to work on their games in a relaxed frame of mind.
    Wow that's horrific. We really donneed a team psychologist.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be a statement about Babar from Mickey everyday.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think that one of the reasons for the recent success of Ind is that young players come in to the team with a confidence and swagger not seen with previous generations, and the reason for that is the IPL. Failure at the higher level doesn't have to mean financial ruin, which is what happened to older players. Our players still fear being dropped but don't have the work ethic or desire to improve so that they are not dropped. Babar is a star and with a little more power( I have said often get him into the gym), he will go to another level.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There are central contracts, match fees, PSL. I'd assume top players like Babar makes close to 300 to 400k USD a year. That's a lot of dough in Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Most young people, especially bachelors, give their income to the family or parents. Even married ones.

It's the culture and looks like Mickey isn't aware of it .

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Most young people, especially bachelors, give their income to the family or parents. Even married ones.

It's the culture and looks like Mickey isn't aware of it .
    How do they take of themselves then if they are giving everything away to their family?

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How do they take of themselves then if they are giving everything away to their family?
    Family gives them the money.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would assume all or like 90 percent of our players do the same due to the culture

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Babar is not from an impoverished background. He might be sending all his money home, but he is not burdened with putting food on the table for his family.

In fact, most players in this current team come from families who can make ends meet without solely relying on their cricket income.
    How do you know that? Just cause they're not from impoverished backgrounds that doesn't mean they struggle lol, middle class people definitely struggle a lot more than rich people who can't see past their privilege.

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    How do you know that? Just cause they're not from impoverished backgrounds that doesn't mean they struggle lol, middle class people definitely struggle a lot more than rich people who can't see past their privilege.
    There is a big difference between being hand to mouth and not living a luxurious life. Apart from Masood and Imad, most of these current players in the team are not from upper/middle-class and would not have been able to enjoy a lavish lifestyle without cricket.

However, apart from a few such as Hasan for example, most of them are from families that are able to meet basic needs without solely relying on income generated by playing cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant coach bringing inside details about someone's personal life....very professional

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Yeah, expecting a statement about Babar's movie preferences tomorrow.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a big difference between being hand to mouth and not living a luxurious life. Apart from Masood and Imad, most of these current players in the team are not from upper/middle-class and would not have been able to enjoy a lavish lifestyle without cricket.

However, apart from a few such as Hasan for example, most of them are from families that are able to meet basic needs without solely relying on income generated by playing cricket.
    That's a very privileged view, I have relatives in Pakistan that are middle class and while they're not living "hand to mouth" it's not a very comfortable quality of living either. Middle class in Pakistan and middle class in a first world country are VERY different. You did mention on here that your dad was like the president of the tax service or something so you're just unable to see the whole picture.
    Last edited by Pakistanian; 9th February 2019 at 23:45.

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even South American, Portugese:Spanish footballers who play in European leagues help their families. Cristiano Ronaldo has always helped his family.
    Neymar’s dad is always involved in his son’s transfers and negotiations. Our culture is not different to South American one in terms of family.
    British culture is selfish. British footballers do not care about their parents and all. Beckham
    Never helped his mom/dad after getting famous.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur has taken a role of PR than a coach.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Don't know why the Indians get riled up whenever Babar's name floats around.

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is Mickey revealing personal details about Babar's life in the media

Also it's the norm here.single men do hand their earnings to their parents,heck i know of married men handing over their salary to their mothers who then gives them a designated portion for their family (wife and kids) so Mickey probably doesn't know that its not supposed to be that big a deal. Also,he should refrain from announcing in front of the world what the players do with their salaries,seems very unprofessional.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Family gives them the money.
    I am sure Babar keeps a cut for himself and his own expenses and needs and sends the remainder back home to his family. I very much doubt he sends everything to his family and then the family gives him his share. That would just be cumbersome and complicated/

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.. Not something a coach should be commenting on tbh. How one utilizes their salary is quite a personal thing

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Micky got carried away there, trying to talk about how good his team is, but revealing personal details he shouldn't have.

Regardless.....a Honda civic is pretty much a car for the wealthy here - it costs something like 20-25k USD, which is a lot for a regular person. I'm happy to see that Babar is happy and proud of this kind of gift, and imo, shows he values his money and earnings.

Debut
    Apr 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    It's almost like Mickey is almost praying for Babar to somehow be captain

you really can't beat the game. If you earn anything, it's minus taxes. If you buy anything it's plus taxes.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Needless statement.

Looks like Mickey is Babar's PR man.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1935 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Needless statement.

Looks like Mickey is Babar's PR man.
    its not a statement, its taken from a conversation - and is nice to hear that about our cricketers - some of whom cannot express these things themselves in press.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    its not a statement, its taken from a conversation - and is nice to hear that about our cricketers - some of whom cannot express these things themselves in press.
    My point being, that why would you wanna tell the world what Babar does with his money?

Unless you are trying to establish PR for him.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These days people have their salaries paid in the bank. If someone wants to "send" money to their family, all they have to do is to do online transfer to the account of the recipient. It is not such a big deal. Here it is being made out as if Babar gets paid in cash and then he sends that cash by money order to his family.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by latecut View Post
    These days people have their salaries paid in the bank. If someone wants to "send" money to their family, all they have to do is to do online transfer to the account of the recipient. It is not such a big deal. Here it is being made out as if Babar gets paid in cash and then he sends that cash by money order to his family.
    Nobody cares where babar spend money, i'm sure mickey isn't lying about it but these are needless statement.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    That's a very privileged view, I have relatives in Pakistan that are middle class and while they're not living "hand to mouth" it's not a very comfortable quality of living either. Middle class in Pakistan and middle class in a first world country are VERY different. You did mention on here that your dad was like the president of the tax service or something so you're just unable to see the whole picture.
    We both seem to be making the same point in different ways. I am talking about extreme poverty and you are talking about middle-class problems.

I am talking about people who struggle to afford food and other basic necessities, while you are talking about luxuries and wants.

The middle-class and the lower middle-class have their own set of problems and challenges, but those problems are different than the ones people from impoverished backgrounds face.

Just because I am from a privileged background doesn’t mean I am not aware of the problems the middle-class face. I was born and brought up in Pakistan and I still live here.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh now I know why Babar is so thin

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4625 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

How do you know this information ?

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    One thing for sure, you can tell Babar Azam works extremely hard on his batting behind the scenes. There is no other way you can be this consistent. This South African series was a huge step up by him and hopefully he uses that confidence to good effect going forward.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only does this show how much Babar cares for his family, it also tells you what Micky values in terms of of qualities in his players. Lets celebrate the coach's gesture instead of criticizing him unnecessarily for divulging Babar's personal details.

I do hope that his family is ensuring that the money is spent or invested wisely. I have more than once sons sending money back home only to see their families squandering all that wealth on material things.

Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am sure Babar keeps a cut for himself and his own expenses and needs and sends the remainder back home to his family. I very much doubt he sends everything to his family and then the family gives him his share. That would just be cumbersome and complicated/
    Dont know about Babar in specific but its common in Pakistan that bachelors give all their salary to their parents.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Dont know about Babar in specific but its common in Pakistan that bachelors give all their salary to their parents.
    Doesn't sound practical. Everyone has their own personal day to day expenses