Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Steve Waugh was a typical Aussie, extremely tough and gritty. Kallis was a typical Saffer much like Amla, if you know what I mean. Not comparing Kallis with Amla though, Kallis was miles better.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Steve Waugh , as pure batsman was ahead of Kallis.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jacques Kallis was exceptional player. A vital cog in the team. A better bowler than Waugh and arguably better batsmen as well.

Waugh batted at 5 most of his career ended up averaging 50, kallis averages 55 though batting mostly at 3 or 4 later on. An argument can be made as former played most of his career in 90s, relatively more tougher era for batting. He was also a better captain and would step more often when mattered.

Tough call overall. Go with Kallis if you want to solve fifth bowling option or Waugh if you want a great captain but have a solid no. 3 or 4.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kallis is a better batsman and bowler.. Waugh was of course a top notch captain but as a cricketer kallis is better than Waugh

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kallis, and it's not even a comparison, say what you want about his limited over performances but as a test batter he was a level above Steve.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the thing that stood out about steve waugh was he usually scored big when aus were in trouble, and the fact that his record against england, which aussies pbly care most about is insanely good in the context of that rivalry.

kallis was a supreme batsmen, but he was the best in his line up. steve waugh was never the best batsmen in the aussie line up, he just invariably scored when aus needed runs.

of his top 5 scores in three innings he came in at 70/3 went on to score 200, 35/3 went on to score 199 and 90/3 scored 170.

the innings that sticks most in my mind tho was his 150 odd against pakistan in pindi in 99, cos i watched that, he came in at 30/3 and didnt give pak a single chance.

his record in world cups is also crazy good. kallis was the better technical crickter, but waugh was the tougher competitor and his record as a captain tips it in waugh's favour in my very subjective opinion.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kallis the better bat to watch but Steve Waugh is miles ahead as a cricketer, so clutch that he didnít need vast amount of talent.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    As an all-rounder, I will take Jacques Kallis in a heart beat. All-rounders don't grow on trees and Kallis was top notch. This discussion though is in terms of batting alone. Steven Waugh was a brilliant bat for Australia. Whenever Australia were in trouble, it was a given that Waugh will be there to pull them out of the hole. So purely as a batter, Steve Waugh was one notch above. He had the grittiness, the mental toughness, the ability to grind and get his team out of any situation in any format he played in. The 1999 WC was solely Waugh's. The amazing 120 no against SA in the must win game and the 50 odd in the semis when Australia were struggling are gems.

The innings against West Indies in 1995 in Australia's series win was another brilliant one. West Indies were a tough team to beat then, they hadn't lost a series for a long time. So Waugh for me purely as a batter.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kallis was the better batsmen.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Waugh. Always clutch. The most marvellous shot-player in his youth, but more attritional as he matured, like a right-handed AB.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kallis without a doubt

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Waugh was better against England.

Against every other country, and overall, Kallis was ahead.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kallis easily

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Steve Waugh was a typical Aussie, extremely tough and gritty. Kallis was a typical Saffer much like Amla, if you know what I mean. Not comparing Kallis with Amla though, Kallis was miles better.
    I'm not sure what you mean?

Kallis got a 5-fer in the final of the only ICC throphy we've won. He was the man of the match. In the semi-final, he got 113* at a SR of 113. He was also man of the match.

Not every Saffa is a "choker".

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    741 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'm picking Waugh for the same reason why people pick Miandad over YK - clutch player, who did it against better bowlers and more difficult surfaces to bat on.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would rate all of Kallis, Dravid, Sangakkara and Younis Khan above Waugh.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandiasza View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean?

Kallis got a 5-fer in the final of the only ICC throphy we've won. He was the man of the match. In the semi-final, he got 113* at a SR of 113. He was also man of the match.

Not every Saffa is a "choker".
    The problem is that you are speaking of Champions Trophy, a tournament which has little to no significance. But most of all, I wasn't speaking of ODI cricket. Steve Waugh was a very mediocre ODI batsman. I was specifically speaking of Tests, although I forgot to mention it. Kallis wasn't some brilliant ODI player either. Despite his average, he scored at a slow rate.

Both Waugh and Kallis are usually known specifically for their performance in Tests.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem is that you are speaking of Champions Trophy, a tournament which has little to no significance. But most of all, I wasn't speaking of ODI cricket. Steve Waugh was a very mediocre ODI batsman. I was specifically speaking of Tests, although I forgot to mention it. Kallis wasn't some brilliant ODI player either. Despite his average, he scored at a slow rate.

Both Waugh and Kallis are usually known specifically for their performance in Tests.
    I see. What do you mean with "typical Saffer" though? I thought you were refering to "choking". His ODI performance in tourmanent finals is an indication of his non-choking.

I agree in some regards. Many have criticised Kallis for his selfish behaviour and batting only for his average, not the team's requirements.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I see. What do you mean with "typical Saffer" though? I thought you were refering to "choking". His ODI performance in tourmanent finals is an indication of his non-choking.
    Innings - 17; Runs - 339; Ave - 24.21; SR - 60.10; 100's - 0; 50's - 1

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waugh easily , Kallis rarely stepped up was known for scoring soft runs most part of his career . Waugh was exact opposite .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Waugh...by a mile. One of the toughest competitors I've seen on a cricket field.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Innings - 17; Runs - 339; Ave - 24.21; SR - 60.10; 100's - 0; 50's - 1
    So you did mean "choking". How do you explain his performance in the only ICC trophy we've won?

I'm not sure what stats you're posting there.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So you did mean "choking". How do you explain his performance in the only ICC trophy we've won?

I'm not sure what stats you're posting there.
    Those are his stats in tournament finals of ODI cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those are his stats in tournament finals of ODI cricket.
    Yet, he's won two man of the match awards, in two concurent finals, in the only ICC tournament we've even won. One with the bat and one with the ball. He's clearly not a choker or "typical saffer". Your generalisation quite offensive. Those are his batting stats and not his "ODI performance". Even though this thread is about test batting, you were specifically referring to his character calling him a "typical saffer".

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yet, he's won two man of the match awards, in two concurent finals, in the only ICC tournament we've even won. One with the bat and one with the ball. He's clearly not a choker or "typical saffer". Your generalisation quite offensive. Those are his batting stats and not his "ODI performance". Even though this thread is about test batting, you were specifically referring to his character calling him a "typical saffer".
    This was your post -

I agree in some regards. Many have criticised Kallis for his selfish behaviour and batting only for his average, not the team's requirements.
    I posted his overall stats in tournament finals which is downright pathetic. If you want to look for a couple of good knocks among them, go ahead. But people care for overall performance.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This was your post -

I posted his overall stats in tournament finals which is downright pathetic. If you want to look for a couple of good knocks among them, go ahead. But people care for overall performance.
    Those are not his overall stats or "ODI performance" stats. Those are his batting stats, which is irrelevant seeing as how you were referring to his character.