Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

[REPORT] Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf being considered for Under-19 and coaching roles

KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is planning to hire some former players as coaches and managers of the national age-group teams, taking inspiration from the success that India has achieved with Rahul Dravid in a similar role.

There is speculation here that former captain Younis Khan is being considered for the role of Pakistan's under-19 coach and manager.

Younis, who retired last year after becoming Pakistan's highest Test run-getter and the first to reach 10,000 runs in the format, has expressed interest in coaching junior players if the board gave him "full freedom" to implement his programme.

"Australia utilised the services of their top players like Rodney Marsh, Allan Border and Ricky Pointing while India has also given Dravid the responsibility of manning their under-19 players and it has produced good results," PCB Chairman Ehsan Mani said.

Dravid has been the coach of the Indian under-19 and A teams and has drawn a lot of credit for shaping up the youngsters. Under his tutelage, the under-19 team won the ICC World Cup last year.

In Australia, Border has served as a selector and Ponting is currently part of the national team's coaching staff.

The PCB, on the other hand, has constantly changed the coaches and managers of the under-19 squad, something that has been blamed for its below-par performances. It has also avoided appointing high-profile former players as coaches/managers of the youth teams.

Mani, while speaking to the the media in Lahore, said that the board has finally decided to utilise the services of its former senior players to work with the youth.

"We also need to have classes for our players as they go on to become ambassadors for the country. They will be given grooming and education at the National Cricket Academy," Mani said.

"We should have attached our own coaches with foreign coaches just like India did so that they could have also learnt a lot more."

The PCB is also considering appointing former Test captain Mohammad Yousuf as the batting coach at its National Cricket Academy in Lahore.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67971750.cms

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, source is times of India?? Lol

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they have any coaching qualifications? Do they have any passion for working with junior cricketers?

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Younis khan will be far better than current u19 coach .our batting in under 19 is average from couple of years now

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yousuf is also good choice for domestic

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hope Younis Khan doesn’t beat up someone this time around.
    Last edited by shaaik; 13th February 2019 at 14:19.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good initiative. I was a big fan of Yousuf and his style of play until I heard his analysis on tv. Doesn't come across as a smart cookie. Younis would be perfect for the role. He commands respect and carries himself well.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What has this world come to, surely Younis is too inexperienced for coaching U19 level, you need a proper coach like Intikhab or Mushtaq Mohammad.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like this

U 19
    Head, Batting coach: M Yousuf
    Bowling coach: M Asif

NCA:
    Director: Mudassar Nazar
    Batting coach: Younis Khan
    Bowling coach: M Akram

A team
    Batting coach: M Yousuf
    Bowling coach: Shoaib Akhtar

Chief selector: Inzamam ul Haq
    Selection committe: Misbah ul Haq, Afridi, Moin Khan, Saqlain, Shoaib Akhtar

International team:

Head coach: Mickey Arthur
    Batting coach: Andy Flower
    Fast bowling coach: Waqar Younis
    Spin bowling coach: Mushtaq Ahmed
    Fielding coach: Johnty Rhodes
    Last edited by Kohli, The King of Chase; 13th February 2019 at 14:48.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Good idea. Lots of coaches spoke of how thorough YK was in his preparations and pre-match routines. He has a Level 2 coaching qualification so it's not like he hasn't any training.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope they provide Younis with a high-end Room to stay and make prior arrangements for his accommodation this time if he gets selected!

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    I would like this

U 19

NCA:

A team

International team:

why would you want to allow fixer,ill discipline any way near under 19 kids.Asif is not the ideal choice it should be someone like waqar youis

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    why would you want to allow fixer,ill discipline any way near under 19 kids.Asif is not the ideal choice it should be someone like waqar youis
    It's my opinion. He did a mistake, and everyone does. He's been punished. And, yes, he shouldn't be allowed to represent the country. But, you can utilise his services.

Moreover, Amir is still being the golden boy, despite fixing.

Regarding Waqar, I think he lives in Aus. He won't stay in Pak unless it's paid well. He can be paid well for being the coach of a national team, but not for being a u 19 coach.

That's the reason I didn't include Azhar or Waqar as they won't reside in Pak for low salaries.

Wasim is a commentator and also in some committee. So he wouldn't be available either.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's my opinion. He did a mistake, and everyone does. He's been punished. And, yes, he shouldn't be allowed to represent the country. But, you can utilise his services.

Regarding Waqar, I think he lives in Aus. He won't stay in Pak unless it's paid well. He can be paid well for being the coach of a national team, but not for being a u 19 coach.

That's the reason I didn't include Azhar or Waqar as they won't reside in Pak for low salaries.

Wasim is a commentator and also in some committee. So he wouldn't be available either.
    Don,t drag amir here he is not going to retire soon neither i am going to support his job as a coach .There is certain other thing you should know about asif he is ban to enter uae .he is also not allowed to enter in england without proper application.he have hit his partner with the bat .he have positive dop test.

Considering all his record if you still want him to ruin kid career than you are not pak team well wisher .if not waqar than there are dozen ex player with clean record who should be consider
    Last edited by saeed5646; 13th February 2019 at 15:11.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    Don,t drag amir here he is not going to retire soon neither i am going to support his job as a coach .There is certain other thing you should know about asif he is ban to enter uae .he is also not allowed to enter in england without proper application.he have hit his partner with the bat .he have positive dop test.

Considering all his record if you still want him to ruin kid career than you are not pak team well wisher .if not waqar than there are dozen ex player with clean record who should be consider
    Take a chill pill, bro. It's just my opinion. You can disagree.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Take a chill pill, bro. It's just my opinion. You can disagree.
    Asif could be really a good choice as bowling coach for our bowlers whom lack new ball bowling skills. He could be deployed in NCA under scrutiny if possible else in tour preparations+domestic coach could be the way to go. Itís like we need him not sure about vise versa. I think abbas played in the same team as asif before debut there was improvement in him in the past. He recognised issues related with Abbas well before england series and was telling on a tv show. And we have a coach who is payed as British resident and there is no improvement in bowling since he took over except that some excellent debuts on the basis of domestic and psl performances like Hassan abbas etc. We always feel helpless when a wicket is needed and part of it coachís planning goes on a holiday on the same day

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Gurgaon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dravid has managed to make under 19 coaching glamorous.

Dravid was always a gentleman in his playing days on and off the field. Yousuf and younis behaved more like prima donas. Granted they have much to offer technically to these youngsters but certainly not a good role model for them.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Younis is a big no.

He'll only product his type of players, who are sitting ducks against pacers and hopping, struggling to face fast bowlers.

MoYO yes, a very good choice! Keep Younis out!

MoYo also has a negative side to him where he'll instill the 'first of all I want to thank...' mentality in the players.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like this

U 19

NCA:

A team

International team:

Canít agree more.

Wish this could be too in reality.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like this

U 19

NCA:

A team

International team:

Good thought, but i would keep shoaib, asif and inzi out of the setup. Inzi as we have all seen. Asif could have been but is past history and travel ban issues effectively take him out. Shoaib hmm, would be interesting but the character isn't an ideal candidate for grooming young kids. The domestic setup needs someone who can undwrstand the technical deficit that our raw talents faces. Younis and mo yo are extremely competent. Wasim/Waqar would be gold for these young buds at the NCA.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The problem is that if any of these guys that become even modestly successful they will want the main job, and the 2 jobs are totally different.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Younis needs ‘full freedom’
    Javed Maiandad always needed full freedom as captain and coach
    He never lasted long in either job

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    The problem is that if any of these guys that become even modestly successful they will want the main job, and the 2 jobs are totally different.
    One of them has been subtly lobbying for it in my view

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Younis is a big no.

He'll only product his type of players, who are sitting ducks against pacers and hopping, struggling to face fast bowlers.

MoYo also has a negative side to him where he'll instill the 'first of all I want to thank...' mentality in the players.
    Younis was more than competent against pace at his peak. You cannot extrapolate what happened at the end of his career when he was well past 40 years of age.

Even now he'd walk into this mediocre batting lineup.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Younis is a big no.

Coming from a Misbah fan ok then.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Younis was more than competent against pace at his peak. You cannot extrapolate what happened at the end of his career when he was well past 40 years of age.

Even now he'd walk into this mediocre batting lineup.
    I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    Coming from a Misbah fan ok then.
    What does that have to do with anything, genius?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I disagree.

What does that have to do with anything, genius?
    Mr genius you don't average 50 plus by bashing spinners all your career. you don't score double hundred in England by basing spinners. Mr genius he is going to be teaching them about batting not that he will be batting in their place. Plus i read recently he has a qualification. With that stupid logic of your means people who haven't even played international are awful coaches. Lets ask Shan that. Your batting has nothing to do with your coaching.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    International team:

Waqar is a TTF as coach. He has been bowling coach, and twice head coach, and failed each time.

Name:  Screenshot_20190213-215418_Brave~01.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  189.4 KB

^^ This was our atrocious bowling record during legendary fast bowler Waqar's 2nd stint as head coach. Second only to UAE !

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we seriously think that these two, with their giant sized egos, will consider anything less than a job with the national team? No way!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither strike me as having the right temperament to be coaches for young players.
    Younus is too moody and emotional, Yousuf is too jaded and bitter. Both are great bats, but not sure if they should be coaching.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Younis is a big no.

50 average in Australia, 50 average in England, 43 average in NZ. Only place he did poorly is SA, with an average of 32 which is still respectable.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope itís true. Pakistanís legends should help the upcoming talent.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wouldn't mind Asif use as a bowling coach (or consultant) if he could do a good job. He made a mistake, and better he teach others how to maximise their skill and reaching their potential. Would redeem him in the eyes of many people, providing a service so that others can make their cricketing dreams come true. And I don't think he'd likely engage in fixing as a coach, all are unlikely to make the same mistake, and those who bribe cricketers to fix are unlikely to want to use them again as they're under watch now, better use those who haven't been caught or completely new people.

Representing as a cricketer again is more selfish really, you get the glory, yet you've already betrayed the country before selling out for money. Behind the scenes involvement for the good of Pakistan, I don't mind.

I don't think any of the trio should have really been allowed to play international cricket again. But to support Pakistan cricket as an advisory role I can accept.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were good players but both possess terrible temperament, not suitable to train youngsters.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People will never stop looking flaws.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I hope it is not true. Even though both are brilliant players, what little I have seen them in media, they look like terrible role models for young players. For training these kids, it is not only important to be a good player, it is also important to be a good role model overall. Rahul Dravid struck that right balance for India. I don't know who in Pakistan is like that, but certainly not these two.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yousaf will be a better choice imo but won't mind Younis either.