Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1783 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

The Formula 1 2019 Thread

Mercedes are "taking nothing for granted" this season, says team principal Toto Wolff.

The team, led by five-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, have won the past five constructors' championships.

Speaking at the launch of Mercedes' 2019 car, the AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+, Wolff said: "Every team can have a shot at the title and we're seeing all of them as a potential threat.

"There's absolutely no feeling of entitlement to be at the front."

He added: "The regulations have changed quite substantially.

"We have to start from scratch. We need to prove ourselves again - against our own expectations and against our competitors."

The season begins in Melbourne on 17 March. Briton Hamilton, who won his fifth world title last year, will lead Mercedes again alongside Valtteri Bottas for the third season.

"2018 was a great year, but I feel like 2019 can be even better," Hamilton said. "I want to achieve more. I want to continue to keep pushing."

What has changed with the new car?
    Work on the revamped Mercedes started 16 months ago, before the end of the 2017 season.

There is an improved power unit and the car has been designed around new regulations aimed at making the racing closer by reducing the disruption caused to the aerodynamics of a car following another.

The Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+ car
    The car has a similar silver livery and branding to last year but has changed substantially under the skin
    "Regulation changes are both opportunity and threat," said technical director James Allison.

"They are an opportunity because all the old assumptions about what you need to have to be quick are swept away and, if you are fleet of foot and smart in dealing with that, you can do better than all the other teams that are tackling the same change.

"They are a threat because if you are not as smart and you didn't see how to make the most of these new regulations, then you'll certainly suffer in the coming season.

"We have worked hard on the suspension and aerodynamic characteristics to deliver a car that will be much kinder to its tyres."

What has Hamilton been up to?
    Hamilton, 34, has kept a relatively low profile over the off-season, spending time in the United States, where he attended the Super Bowl this month.

"I had a great Christmas with my family and then I went snowmobiling, I went skiing, I went surfing with Kelly Slater, which was amazing," he said.

"I completely switched off from racing for a while, trying to focus and re-centre myself and training hard for the new season."

Wolff added: "When we met after the winter break, Lewis was refreshed. He's extremely hungry and wants to start racing again."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47224163

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2019 cars have begun the launch. Excited to see Charles Leclerc in a Ferrari. Expecting him to be better than Max!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1783 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Ferrari have unveiled the car they hope will end a decade-long Formula 1 title drought in 2019.

Ferrari lost out to Mercedes in 2018 despite having a faster car at least as many times as their rivals, after a series of errors by Sebastian Vettel and the team.

New team principal Mattia Binotto said the new car was "a development of last year's, not a revolution".

He added the team had tried to "raise the bar and reach another level".

Vettel is joined in the team by Charles Leclerc, in his second F1 season.

"I am looking forward to this year. The team is on the right path and hopefully we can continue improving," said Vettel.

Leclerc, promoted after an impressive debut season for the Sauber team, said: "It is a very proud day for me. I'm not nervous. I think it is more of an opportunity for me to be alongside Sebastian, a four-time champion, I can learn a lot. I am pretty sure it will be a strong season."

The new car, called the SF90 to reflect Ferrari's 90th anniversary this year, features a radical front wing design to meet new regulations this year, the aim of which is to allow cars to race closer together by reducing the turbulence experienced by a car running behind another.

The rearward flaps of the wing slope downwards from the centre towards the outside of the wing, with the intention of channelling air in aerodynamically advantageous ways and reducing the losses caused by the new rules.

Binotto singled out the front wing as one of the Ferrari's most important features. The wing has also been seen on the car of the sister Alfa Romeo team, formerly Sauber.

He added: "We tried to push very hard to be innovative. The roll hoop is very narrow and slim, the bodywork is very slim. Engine installation, packaging, a lot of effort has been done, and the final shape is the result of all this effort. We like it."

Binotto was technical director for the last three season and steps up to the position of team principal following the ousting of Maurizio Arrivabene in January.

The car is scheduled to run for the first time in a short 'shakedown' test at Spain's Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on Sunday before the start of pre-season testing at the same track on Monday.

Ferrari chief executive officer Louis Camilleri said: "Vettel remains as hungry as ever and I know he is totally devoted to achieve his and our ambitions and he knows the entire team will give him all their full-hearted support.

"Charles Leclerc - we are all tremendously excited to have him. His talent, maturity, race skill and speed was evident to all last year and we are sure great things await him in the future.

"The atmosphere in the team will be one in which serenity will prevail."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47252144

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter