Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

"Lots of overseas players come to India to play IPL, there should be some reciprocity": Ehsan Mani

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ehsan Mani is upbeat about the forthcoming edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), commencing on Thursday. It would be Maniís first PSL as the PCB boss. In an interview with The Indian Express, he spoke about the PCBís intention to hold the entire event in Pakistan from the next year onwards and also that the Pakistan board has paid $1.5 million to the BCCI in legal costs after losing the ICC arbitration. Excerpts:

This would be your first PSL as the PCB chief. How do you look at it?

The last three years have really helped build the PSL brand. And we expect it to be absolutely world-class again this year. We have got nearly 45 overseas players signed up for it. So itís obviously popular. There are six franchises and all the overseas players for the franchises have confirmed that that they are prepared to come and play in Pakistan. For the final leg, we are going to have eight matches in Pakistan this year. So itís very good and positive. Itís a great pity that we canít have Indian players playing because they are busy with their own. But I would love to have them on board.

BCCI doesnít allow its players to play in overseas T20 leagues.

Yeah, I appreciate that. I hope things will change over time. There are a lot of overseas players coming to play in India. So I think there should be some reciprocity there, but that doesnít seem to be.

When do you expect Pakistan to host the entire PSL?

Well, we are certainly going to try and hold the maximum (number of matches) next year, if not all. We will do an assessment obviously after this PSL. It depends on a number of things. Obviously, Pakistan hasnít hosted international cricket for many years. It only just (re-)started two years ago. So we need to get some of our stadiums up to the level where we can host them. Thatís the only limiting factor. The players seem to be happy to come. So we donít see an issue there. We should be able to do it by next year.

After taking charge of the PCB, have you introduced any additional anti-corruption measure with regard to the PSL?

The PCB now has a very, very robust anti-corruption regime. We have a very, very good player awareness programme, regular interface with the ICC and its ant-corruption unit. And with all our players coming into the game at the first-class level and the academies, they are tutored and mentored on anti-corruption. So in terms of awareness, the Board is doing everything thatís necessary I believe.

How important this PSL is going to be for the players, with an eye on the World Cup?

Like the IPL, the PSL is helping the emerging players in terms of developing their skill. They are playing in front of big crowds and more importantly, they are playing with international stars. All of that helps develop the young players. If thereís any find (of the tournament), someone who does really well, then obviously that will have some influence (with regard to the World Cup squad selection). But we are playing five ODIs before the World Cup against Australia (in UAE) and five against England (in England); two very good opponents. Thatís going to be our main preparation for the World Cup. Between now and the World Cup, we are playing 10 ODIs.

What is the PCBís stance on Sarfraz Ahmed? (Sarfraz directed a racist taunt at South Africaís Andile Phehlukwayo in Durban last month.)

Look, he immediately apologised. There was no need to have a word with him about the incident. Because, what he said in Urdu was quite innocent. Actually what he was saying to the player was that Ďyour mother has been praying special prayers for youí. He just used the word, Ďblackí, which was totally unacceptable. And he understood that, when it was explained to him. And he apologised straightaway. The PCB apologised straightaway. Everyone accepted our apology on the South African side.

So Sarfraz stays as Pakistan captain for the World Cup?

Yes, he will remain captain.

The absence of bilateral series notwithstanding, the PCB and the BCCI have always been on good terms. But after the legal fight in the ICC, is it a case that bridges have been burned?

No. Because we changed our leadership at our end; what happened in the past has happened. I have very good relations with both Mr Rahul Johri (BCCI chief executive) as well as Mr Amitabh Choudhary (BCCI acting secretary); the two people I have met. We got on well. We respect each other. And we talk about the game and the administration of the game. And we do not get involved with politics.

As things stand, itís very unlikely that India and Pakistan are playing a bilateral series in the near future.

As far as bilateral series are concerned, we are not discussing with the BCCI for two reasons. One is that the general elections in India, that has its own connotations. And the second is that the BCCI itself has to have elections. So once those elections have taken place, it will only be after that there probably should be some dialogues; we can work together or not.

The ICC directed the PCB to pay a certain percentage of the legal costs to the BCCI from the disputes resolution proceedings that India won. Any update on that?

We have paid it. We paid it straightaway. It wasnít the ICC. It was the arbitration panel which ruled and we respected that. We paid approximately $1.5 million.

The PCB managing director Wasim Khan said the other day, Ďletís create a situation where they (India) ask us (Pakistan) to playí. Your thoughtsÖ

Yeah, thatís going to be the objective Ė top three in the ICC rankings. Those are the targets we are setting ourselves. And if we are playing good cricket, then hopefully other countries will want to play against us.

Explained | How PSL can lead to Test cricketís return to Pakistan

Pakistanís bid to host Test matches, which it hasnít since the attack on the Sri Lanka team bus by a militant outfit in 2009, in the near future would get an impetus with Karachi and Lahore hosting eight matches ó including the entire knockout stage of this editionís Pakistan Super League.

While the two venues have hosted finals of the 2017 and 2018 editions, with the UAE hosting the remaining matches, itís the first time the country is getting multiple matches as well as a substantial presence of international stars.

As many as 45 overseas players ó among them A-listers such as AB de Villiers, Kieron Pollard, Shane Watson Carlos Brathwaite and Colin Munro ó have consented to play matches in the country. And if the home leg runs smoothly, there wouldnít be a bigger advertisement for Pakistanís readiness to host bilateral Test series again than this. It could have a rub-on effect and more teams would be gradually encouraged to play in the country.

Already, emboldened by the successful hosting of PSL matches, teams have toured Pakistan, though amidst heavy security. Last year, soon after the PSL final, a depleted West Indies landed in Pakistan for a three-match T20Is series. So did Sri Lanka, returning to Lahore after 10 years for a T20I, and the West Indies womenís team most recently.

In between, a World XI, predominantly comprising South Africa players, too had dropped in for T20Is. But Pakistan would clearly want to, and have expressed the desire several times, to host matches on a grander scale. And this edition of the PSL could pave the way.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...ocity-5582777/

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Gurgaon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    After all the backlash pcb received because of Sarfaraz's comment, can't understand how Mani is still trying to trivialize this issue.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManstanding View Post
    After all the backlash pcb received because of Sarfaraz's comment, can't understand how Mani is still trying to trivialize this issue.
    South Africa accepted the apology, that's the main reason

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The players who are coming to play in IPL are not doing so out of charity. They are being paid handsomely for coming to IPL.
    Last edited by latecut; 14th February 2019 at 10:39.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is Pak media so obsessed with India and BCCI?
    Half of the questions involve BCCI and IPL..

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalin View Post
    perfect example of not reading whole article .When have ''Indian express ''become pakistani media outlet

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ehsan Mani is upbeat about the forthcoming edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), commencing on Thursday. It would be Maniís first PSL as the PCB boss. In an interview with The Indian Express, he spoke about the PCBís intention to hold the entire event in Pakistan from the next year onwards and also that the Pakistan board has paid $1.5 million to the BCCI in legal costs after losing the ICC arbitration. Excerpts:
    Last edited by saeed5646; 14th February 2019 at 10:51.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1784 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Pakistan media?

Obviously, you carefully read post#1

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Never knew The Indian Express is Pakistani. Our newspapers also print news from all around the world. Would you also call that obsession?

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    516 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why isn't this the headline:

Pakistan board has paid $1.5 million to the BCCI in legal costs after losing the ICC arbitration
    @Savak

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    516 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pretty crisp interview tbh, answered everything with a clear head, but looks like PCB is somewhat more cautious now w.r.t BCCI, but Rahul Johri is a friend really?

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Pakistan media?

Obviously, you carefully read post#1
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    perfect example of not reading whole article .When have ''Indian express ''become pakistani media outlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Never knew The Indian Express is Pakistani. Our newspapers also print news from all around the world. Would you also call that obsession?
    Apologies. My bad. Did not see that it was Indian express.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is actually a quite decent interview, he was upfront and to the point, didn't get carried away nor dodged anything, nice read.

Would request my fellow Indian posters to read it first instead of just reacting to the title.
    Last edited by Hyperion66; 14th February 2019 at 16:26.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first steps need to be to get Pak players back into the IPL. Let indian fans warm to our players again and then build slowly from their to re-open ties and international cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good interview, only thing I disagree is with the sarfaraz point it was not trivial just because it's ok in our society to be racists.. Other than that very good points.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Why isn't this the headline:

Pakistan board has paid $1.5 million to the BCCI in legal costs after losing the ICC arbitration
    @Savak
    Yep. I was surprised too. That's lot more than what was initially claimed

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    first steps need to be to get Pak players back into the IPL. Let indian fans warm to our players again and then build slowly from their to re-open ties and international cricket.
    No offence, but presently Pakistan doesnt have the star power to be sold in IPL.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightarmfast View Post
    No offence, but presently Pakistan doesnt have the star power to be sold in IPL.
    The number 1 t20 batsmen in the world is pakistani, but no offence taken

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you think India has any dearth of batsmen? And is Babar such a big name in the world? We hardly know who he is!

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And you think India has any dearth of batsmen? And is Babar such a big name in the world? We hardly know who he is!
    I can name you ten overseas batsmen which are not any better than babar.
    Last edited by saeed5646; 14th February 2019 at 21:32.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why would you want to beg pak players for ipl .they are fine earning decent money .let they come to us

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You and i are no body our opnion don.t matter.BTW indian legend laxman do knows him and have praise him alot

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Players like sohail tanvir would be an overnight superstar compared to some of the trundlers ive seen in the IPL.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    You and i are no body our opnion don.t matter.BTW indian legend laxman do knows him and have praise him alot
    I never said Babar Azam was a bad player. I merely said that to get IPL franchises to show interest in Pakistani players you need to have more star power. The likes of Afridi, Akhtar etc. Presently, Pakistan doesnt boast of such popular players. That was my point. On the basis on one player, Babar azam, you cant assume people to come running after Pakistani players.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I never said Babar Azam was a bad player. I merely said that to get IPL franchises to show interest in Pakistani players you need to have more star power. The likes of Afridi, Akhtar etc. Presently, Pakistan doesnt boast of such popular players. That was my point. On the basis on one player, Babar azam, you cant assume people to come running after Pakistani players.
    Power game is not every thing .look at willaimson he has lower strike rate in international which is also less than babars one but he successed in ipl last session and was top runs getter.

I will give you babar strike rate on two country where pitches are flat .
    Pakistan 148
    South africa 157
    There are sever unknown players are pick for huge amount so i have no idea why will babar not be picked

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    babar would go for more than a million usd

imad would get close to a million

pakistani players would bring in more viewers than a mosies henqirues or other weirdos with no significance.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post

pakistani players would bring in more viewers than a mosies henqirues or other weirdos with no significance.
    Even if Pakistan has a team in IPL, these numbers will not be true. As A bunch of us who watch and breathe IPL every year already said, It's 250/500. 250 for Babar and 500 for Imad. Moises doesnt get paid much. Check that too

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    forget about IPL for a sec. Is Babar Azam the biggest draw in PSL? See, now you have your answer and you now know No.1 in T20doesnt mean much.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    forget about IPL for a sec. Is Babar Azam the biggest draw in PSL? See, now you have your answer and you now know No.1 in T20doesnt mean much.
    The argument isn't who is the biggest draw,Pakistan are effective in T20 whether you like it or not so there players would have no problem getting picked up if they were included in the ipl auction, that is the point.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The argument isn't who is the biggest draw,Pakistan are effective in T20 whether you like it or not so there players would have no problem getting picked up if they were included in the ipl auction, that is the point.
    You are the one who mentioned No.1. SOme of the IPL millionaires don't even play regularly for their National T20 teams. There are 4 spots for overseas players and there is competetion from players in every cricketing nation. Indians typically have batsmen even in domestic cricket who can score at a decent SR. The big international draws are all rounders and explosive batsmen or bowlers or tricky spinners. Out of Pak, Imad is probably the biggest draw for the same reason and will be worth around 500k.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my initial response was to the guy who said pakistan dont have the star power to attract ipl teams without meaning to offend,my reply was that i m not offended because we have the number 1 t20 batsmen in the world. nothing wrong with that. I haven't made any claims about how much Pakistan players would cost, i was merely making the point that if Pakistan players were available in the auction and without government pressure they would easily be picked up. I can confidently say Hassan Ali, Imad wasim, shadab Khan, Fakhar zaman would get picked up, maybe even shoaib malik

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    You are the one who mentioned No.1. SOme of the IPL millionaires don't even play regularly for their National T20 teams. There are 4 spots for overseas players and there is competetion from players in every cricketing nation. Indians typically have batsmen even in domestic cricket who can score at a decent SR. The big international draws are all rounders and explosive batsmen or bowlers or tricky spinners. Out of Pak, Imad is probably the biggest draw for the same reason and will be worth around 500k.
    see above

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reason Indian players don't play outside IPL is product dilution. Pretty much every other league has some kind of TV contract in India. If you had Indian players in PSL/BPL/Big Bash/etc then it could create a situation where people will get tired of seeing some of the weaker players. A Kohli or Rohit will draw viewers anywhere, but can you say that for most of the lower level guys?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zn426 View Post
    The reason Indian players don't play outside IPL is product dilution. Pretty much every other league has some kind of TV contract in India. If you had Indian players in PSL/BPL/Big Bash/etc then it could create a situation where people will get tired of seeing some of the weaker players. A Kohli or Rohit will draw viewers anywhere, but can you say that for most of the lower level guys?
    There is viewership in India for BBL, CPL, PSL and even BPL. And there are no Indians playing in these. Imagine if Indians are in them

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not such a small step. If that happens, it will be post a huge breakthrough in ties.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't forget Fakhar, Amir and Shaheen. If I had my own IPL side I would be tempted for a shrewd bargain with Asif Ali

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    That's not such a small step. If that happens, it will be post a huge breakthrough in ties.
    @BaankeJi Its not going to happen in distant future and at least you know this after whats going on in India right now. Others can imagine whatever they can.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Don't forget Fakhar, Amir and Shaheen. If I had my own IPL side I would be tempted for a shrewd bargain with Asif Ali
    for sure man, even hafeez would be a definite asset for any team.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pakistani players would drive away a lot of the viewers, not bring them in.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    Pakistani players would drive away a lot of the viewers, not bring them in.
    lol please mate.. your folks take IPL more seriously than international cricket.

pakistani players would make the ipl a multiplitude times more entertaining.

who the hell wants to watch marcus stonis and moises henqirues
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 15th February 2019 at 21:16.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an ageing Azhar Mahmod had about 2 or 3 seasons in the ipl even after pakistanis were banned, so anyone who thinks Pak players will not be picked is obviously talking with a bias, or knows nothing about cricket.