Instagram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Thoughts on four-match ban?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harsh, shouldn't have been banned

41 69.49%
  • Should have been banned for fewer games

9 15.25%
  • Just right

9 15.25%
  • The ban should have been longer

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Over-reaction from Root and the ICC.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Exactly!!! There was nothing derogatory in asking, Why are u smiling at me? Do you like me, a boy?
    As I've stated before, if you're asking the question (are you gay) with the intent of ridiculing someone then it clearly is homophobic.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    THat was a pretty dramatic reply from root then.
    True. I suspect he was trying to make this thing bigger than it actually was. He knew that he was standing close to the mic and will be heard.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    As I've stated before, if you're asking the question (are you gay) with the intent of ridiculing someone then it clearly is homophobic.
    What if he asked "are you mad?" with the intention of ridiculing him? Should he be banned because he insulted people with mental health issues?

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Over-reaction from Root and the ICC.
    Indeed, Root seized the opportunity and took full advantage, managed to change the headlines.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He wasn't banned for making the comment. He got demerit points which added to previous offences resulted in a ban.

He made a comment that was intended to insult by implying that someone was gay. He can claim he's not a homophobe in general but he still made a homophobic comment. Criticising Root for calling out that comment is ridiculous.
    This shouldn't even be worth demerit points. As harmless as it gets. What's next, can't even say stupid because it's offensive to less intelligent people? Or is it the fact that this particular group of people likes to take offense to everything?

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the heck? I was on board with Gabriel getting punished for using homosexulity term but if this is what he said ... not even a sledge/dig at this point. This is pointless. What the heck ICC?

"Do you like boys" and "stop looking at me" ... really?
    Last edited by The Viper; 15th February 2019 at 05:01.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    What the heck? I was on board with Gabriel getting punished for using homosexulity term but if this is what he said ... not even a sledge/dig at this point. This is pointless. What the heck ICC?

"Do you like boys" and "stop looking at me" ... really?
    ICC pushing their LGBT agenda on people who don't agree with that lifestyle.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Well there has been an overreaction from Root and ICC on this. I don't think Gabriel should received a ban. Really poor this. This could have been handled better.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root's reaction was very odd, you have to wonder if he was projecting his own prejudices on Gabriel?

John 3:16

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am glad that Gabriel has made the effort to understand his error and has apologised. Takes a big man to do that.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    741 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    As expected, people overlooking the fact that this incident on its own wouldn't have led to Gabriel's ban, he ALREADY HAD 5 DEMERIT POINTS, so this offence has resulted in a further 4 Demerit points and he has to serve a 4 match ban which is fair.

Did Gabriel's comments warrant a points infraction? I don think so but if it contravenes any ICC guidelines or regulations then by all means he should have been infracted but 4 points seems a bit excessive based o what he said.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Haroon786 gives me hope for PP. Measured, considering, possessed of an understanding and appreciation of history, and a refreshing lack of arrogance.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the surface, it seems soft...but I'm quite confident that the general consensus would be different on this forum if it was racial or religious abuse to the same degree.

Abuse regarding sexuality is equally offensive as racial and religious prejudice, is it not?
    Last edited by Torborg; 15th February 2019 at 18:58.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    ICC pushing their LGBT agenda on people who don't agree with that lifestyle.
    Nobody is pushing a LBGT agenda on you. Do you feel pressured to perform homosexual acts as a result of their decision?

Like it or not, homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals in most developed nations. Welcome to 2019.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    Well there has been an overreaction from Root and ICC on this. I don't think Gabriel should received a ban. Really poor this. This could have been handled better.
    In what way do you think Root overreacted?

From my perspective, he gave a measured response.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He might not be a homophobe but his comment can still be seen as homophobic. It's like when some people say stuff like "I hate Maths Class, it's so gay" but that doesn't necessarily make a person a homophobic, but like I said above, it is a homophobic comment no doubt. Don't understand why people are criticisng Joe Root, he just stuck up for gay people which is something that should be applauded and that doesn't mean that Root is gay himself. I am not black and am not related to black people in anyway for example but if someone made a racist comment about black people I would still stick up for them, remember Root himself acknowledged it wasn't anything that serious as he said he wasn't going to bother reporting it but I respect him a lot for sticking up. Overall, the ban is fair.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Wow, this is pretty dumb. This is why you should always know both sides of the story. This is not homophobic abuse, this is not even abuse.

Root's ever-present grin would get on my nerves too if I was bowling to him.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue with this, and even the Sarfraz issue, is that if these are the types of bans/fines that will be handed out for such comments then it has to be across the board. There can not be differences between a ban for someone from WI or Pak and someone from Australia. I always bring up Clarke threatening Jimmy iwth a broken arm, what punishment did he receive for it?

Or Aussie bowlers continuously using the f word, the c word and so on. All of that should be ban or fine worthy.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    As expected, people overlooking the fact that this incident on its own wouldn't have led to Gabriel's ban, he ALREADY HAD 5 DEMERIT POINTS, so this offence has resulted in a further 4 Demerit points and he has to serve a 4 match ban which is fair.

Did Gabriel's comments warrant a points infraction? I don think so but if it contravenes any ICC guidelines or regulations then by all means he should have been infracted but 4 points seems a bit excessive based o what he said.
    This deserves no attention from the ICC. It is not abuse, it is simply a guy demanding another guy to quit grinning at him.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    This deserves no attention from the ICC. It is not abuse, it is simply a guy demanding another guy to quit grinning at him.
    ...after insinuating he was gay.

I've found the response on this forum disappointing, and I'm a heterosexual married man.

If it was the same level of "not abuse" denigrating his skin colour or religion, would you have a different opinion?

We have a long way to go in this world as far as equality is concerned.
    Last edited by Torborg; 15th February 2019 at 22:22. Reason: grammar

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what way do you think Root overreacted?

He took a brave stand on his values, and I assume he isn't even gay.

If he took a similarly strong stance over religious or racial vilification against Moeen Ali, would you think he was over-reacting?

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root did not overeact. This incident may be good for cricket in the long run. Players are risking fines and bans if they make ill advised statements. There is no place for talk like that. If Gabriel had said that in the workplace believe me he'd be hanging onto his job. Players are role models and it's important especially with youngster watching to set a good example.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unnecessary ban.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    My issue with this, and even the Sarfraz issue, is that if these are the types of bans/fines that will be handed out for such comments then it has to be across the board. There can not be differences between a ban for someone from WI or Pak and someone from Australia. I always bring up Clarke threatening Jimmy iwth a broken arm, what punishment did he receive for it?

Or Aussie bowlers continuously using the f word, the c word and so on. All of that should be ban or fine worthy.
    I believe Clarke was sanctioned under the exact same regulation as Gabriel has been. The demerit points system wasn't in place at the time of that incident.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    741 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Yes but the ICC isn't a Muslim organisation, it has to cater for all its playing members and countries, have to remember that.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torborg View Post
    Nobody is pushing a LBGT agenda on you. Do you feel pressured to perform homosexual acts as a result of their decision?

Like it or not, homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals in most developed nations. Welcome to 2019.
    I was speaking about undeveloped nations. They don't have nor need western morals. We shouldn't force it on them, seems like we're repeating the mistakes of colonial past.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I was speaking about undeveloped nations. They don't have nor need western morals. We shouldn't force it on them, seems like we're repeating the mistakes of colonial past.
    Players have to abide by the ICC Code of Conduct.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1784 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    The Bottom Line.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Unnecessary ban.

He was not banned, he received 4 demerit points.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Clarke was sanctioned under the exact same regulation as Gabriel has been. The demerit points system wasn't in place at the time of that incident.
    Was there a ban? I certainly do not remember it.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember when McGrath sledged Sarwan in a supposed homophobic manner. Sarwan replied with a personal attack to McGrath.

Sarwan got the reprimand from the ICC.

The disciplinary rules are often one sided and silly.
    Last edited by Rana; Yesterday at 20:58. Reason: Disrespect towards a deceased person

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Was there a ban? I certainly do not remember it.
    Like I said, the demerit points system wasn't in place so no, there was no ban.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, the demerit points system wasn't in place so no, there was no ban.
    Yes I know but my point stands, he should have been. PLayers did get banned or fined or both even before the accumulation of the demerits points became a policy. The ICC must have the same code and rules for everyone.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes I know but my point stands, he should have been. PLayers did get banned or fined or both even before the accumulation of the demerits points became a policy. The ICC must have the same code and rules for everyone.
    Players didn't get banned for the level of offence Clarke and Gabriel committed.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not saying it's illegal, but unjustified. They made a huge issue out of it. Gabriel didn't abuse the gay community. Root is not a homosexual himself, Gabriel didn't deserve to be banned more than one match.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    International cricketers should be understanding of cultural differences as part of their employment.

I'm a caucasian atheist, and I expect Australian cricketers to show cultural sensitivity when playing against opponents who may hold different values regardless of what they are.

As an international cricketer of any nationality and/or faith, you don't have to approve of homosexuality, but you are expected to be sensitive towards the differing attitudes around the world.

If you disapprove, so be it. Just stay quiet on the subject. Nobody is forcing you to change your values.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not saying it's illegal, but unjustified. They made a huge issue out of it. Gabriel didn't abuse the gay community. Root is not a homosexual himself, Gabriel didn't deserve to be banned more than one match.
    Gabriel definitely did denigrate the gay community.

If you insult someone by insinuating that they're gay (on international tv) you're abusing the homosexual community as a whole who already have to deal with much prejudice.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he did in the same way that making a racist comment abuses communities of other races. That Root is presumably not gay us neither here nor there.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he did in the same way that making a racist comment abuses communities of other races. That Root is presumably not gay us neither here nor there.
    The consensus attitude here is extremely disappointing. I'm by no means a big contributor to this forum, so my opinion doesn't matter much...but I'm considering leaving for good over the response to this saga.

I thought Muslims and mostly coloured people would be more understanding towards prejudice in general.

Fwiw..I'll find it difficult to hate Root in the next Ashes series.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    793 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torborg View Post
    The consensus attitude here is extremely disappointing. I'm by no means a big contributor to this forum, so my opinion doesn't matter much...but I'm considering leaving for good over the response to this saga.

I thought Muslims and mostly coloured people would be more understanding towards prejudice in general.

Fwiw..I'll find it difficult to hate Root in the next Ashes series.
    I know what you mean. Some will scream blue murder at racism and Islamophobia and rightly so, yet give tacit approval to homophobia. But I would urge you to stay as you are a liberal pluralist voice and there are a few others here.