Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Time for financial penalties for PSL side which is last in the points table

Here are my impressions of the PSL

1. Seems like a party for players which is paid by the franchisees - every other evening in UAE, they have dinners, cruises, desert safaris etc

2. There is no real incentive to win games - seems just showing up in fancy kits, making some empty statements about PSL quality and then not worrying too much about results - basically if the lose, so be it and a tweet to wish the fans thanks, collect the paycheque and move on

3. There is no desperation to win - no real emotion on being knocked out or not making to the top - life goes on type attitude.

The only way this will be fixed is via where it hurts the most - the wallets of the team owners.

Simply put, the first team to be knocked out should pay a penalty to other teams or to the organizers - so maybe $250k

Or the team with lowest NRR should pay another penalty etc

If implemented, I would say that we will see a marked improvement in attitudes.

There will be less partying and more work put in, and we may see some of the sides like LQ and MS putting more thought into coaching/team etc instead of worrying about which restaurant to eat in next or what to wear in the evening dinner....

It seems we copied the have-fun model of IPL but the players possibly dont feel the heat to put in their best.

I am open to criticism....

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this wouldn't change the behavior of the cricketers and utimately franchises will have to bear more losses. They need to bring change in drafting method. Selection of so many old horses killed the enthusiasm & passion in young lads.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very bad idea. At the end of the day, this tournament is thriving because of the franchises and their fan following. This move, will discourage franchise owners from taking part in the PSL. They are already having to spend a lot on marketing and working on player development programmes. Coming last on the table is not a crime.

Think about it, if you were a businessman and you saw an ad for buying a new PSL team- you'd already be thinking about your new franchise coming last and you having to pay a sum of money. Business man think a lot about loss and profit. They would get discouraged.

Furthermore, this will only put added pressure on players and coaching staff.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lolz, bhai pcb is already struggling to keep the owners happy and most of the owners are losing out or about breaking even... all these talks of relegations, financial penalties is arm chair GM talk... what do we want to see from these athletes, crying us a river to prove they tried... T20s are a very hit n miss scenarios, and usually goes with reputations of players, and obviously they always try. Just enjoy the game for what it is, lets not all start worrying about how it should be run...

I would though, love to see these questions/suggestions asked to any of the current owners and get their expected responses :-)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Basically then dont complain about quality of cricket etc

The franchises are sitting pretty with no one to challenge them - they get good players, bad players, have fun etc - it doesnt matter - there is no incentive to improve.

So you will see Rana Sahib on tv screens once again next year looking sad etc

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reversehook View Post
    Lolz, bhai pcb is already struggling to keep the owners happy and most of the owners are losing out or about breaking even... all these talks of relegations, financial penalties is arm chair GM talk... what do we want to see from these athletes, crying us a river to prove they tried... T20s are a very hit n miss scenarios, and usually goes with reputations of players, and obviously they always try. Just enjoy the game for what it is, lets not all start worrying about how it should be run...

I would though, love to see these questions/suggestions asked to any of the current owners and get their expected responses :-)
    Of course they wont like it.

Who would want to lose out? But is Pakistan cricket the winner out of this?

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Of course they wont like it.

Who would want to lose out? But is Pakistan cricket the winner out of this?
    It's a tamasha T20 league. No one takes it seriously.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad idea.. Already those owners are in big financial loss.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kick out bad coaches, bring in new faces, add two more team to make ot feel loosers more bad..as soxth position not to bad.... To be honest isl pes and quetta got good playsrs from season 1...so should atart a new bidding process

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only lahore fans would support this ridiculous proposal lol

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should be the other way like big prize money for the winner team and its players. This will encourage team owners and players to work hard. Moreover, I don't like the model of draft i.e. Team ends up last on the table will have the 1st picks etc. IPL draft model is way better.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it's fun cricket... the quality was only bad in the uae

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not a good idea.
    I am sure the franchise owners do want their team to win,no point punishing them over the lossess.

However what can be done is that some attractive incentive for the players who come out on the top three teams or something.This could make them more passionate maybe.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I think, instead of financial penalty, which’ll be interpreted negatively by the owners (players as well), it should be other way round. Make financial gains subject to the position on final table.

The idea is simple, PSL’s highest money comes from broadcasting, and then may be gate money - both are controlled by PSL commission (or similar). Gate money should increase with PSL being played in PAK next year. These money are shared between Franchise equally (correct me otherwise).

I’ll bring a change here - 60% of the purse is shared equally between 6 teams (10% each), and rest 40% like this

- Top 2: 10% each
    - Next 2: 7.5% each
    - 5th: 5%
    - 6th: 0%

Here, the biggest gainer will be 5th team over 6th team, because of a jump of 5% extra from the biggest pay bucket, therefore teams should be desperate to avoid last spot.

On top of that the prize money is there for finishing 1-2-3/4 & they should make prize money for elimination 4 games multiple times higher than priliminary round - making it even more costly for last 2 teams.

But, it’s true that there is a genuine lack of effort/heart from players in PSL - this can only improve if PSL’s average age is reduced by at least 5 years, so that young, hungry players can use it as a platform to launch their career.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialkid View Post
    Kick out bad coaches, bring in new faces, add two more team to make ot feel loosers more bad..as soxth position not to bad.... To be honest isl pes and quetta got good playsrs from season 1...so should atart a new bidding process
    They will only be kicked out if franchises feel they are losing out and need to take steps to fix situation

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are my impressions of the PSL

1. Seems like a party for players which is paid by the franchisees - every other evening in UAE, they have dinners, cruises, desert safaris etc

2. There is no real incentive to win games - seems just showing up in fancy kits, making some empty statements about PSL quality and then not worrying too much about results - basically if the lose, so be it and a tweet to wish the fans thanks, collect the paycheque and move on

3. There is no desperation to win - no real emotion on being knocked out or not making to the top - life goes on type attitude.

The only way this will be fixed is via where it hurts the most - the wallets of the team owners.

Simply put, the first team to be knocked out should pay a penalty to other teams or to the organizers - so maybe $250k

Or the team with lowest NRR should pay another penalty etc

If implemented, I would say that we will see a marked improvement in attitudes.

There will be less partying and more work put in, and we may see some of the sides like LQ and MS putting more thought into coaching/team etc instead of worrying about which restaurant to eat in next or what to wear in the evening dinner....

It seems we copied the have-fun model of IPL but the players possibly dont feel the heat to put in their best.

I am open to criticism....
    I disagree sir - cannot penalize teams further for having a bad season/poor performance. The opportunity cost of not winning the PSL and the prize money that goes with it is already enough of a “penalty” IMO.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    571 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if a team comes last regularly automatically the sponsorship demand of that team will fall and in turn less revenue so I dont think there is need of penalty.

Imagine a winning LQ with all their campaigns, they could have definitely roped in big sponsors but now considering their performances they might not be able to attract such big names as their sponsors.

Big example is of QG, they are being sponsored by Engro gorup which is one of the largest in Pakistan for the last two editions.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real emotion? Emotions for clubs? What a crappy post by op.

Obviously people are there to make money. And op expects AB to show emotions for Lahore. What a joke.

Emotions come when you wear a national cap.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the draft method should have penalty for players for not performing, its like any other job. I feel for the franchise owners here, they are the one in real loss. I would make every member of the team pay for the loss if they do not perform. It could be some percentage of the payment to them that will be deducted if they do not perform. They can create goals and accomplishment chart and if they perform within that region they should be fine. There should be a formula to calculate the overall pay out with respect to the individual performance and team performance. I would not be happy to pay for all the accommodation and other things and at the end of the day just have someone collect the check and leave.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This is true everywhere, including in the IPL. Do you think Watson or ABD can even point out Bangalore or Lahore on a map? They are there to make money and the franchises make money off these players. As long as the fans continue throwing their cash at them, nothing is going to change.

The quality of cricket, development of players and helping the local economy are not the priorities of these T20 leagues. That is not what they are there for.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a ridiculous idea, it simply is not possible and afaik it doesn't happen anywhere in the world in any sports.

All PSL franchises are making losses, even PZ and IU who have been Champions, and to penalize them for poor performance is gonna make them pull out of the league.

Relegation system is best in this regard but it's not possible for 6 team league, it's not possible even for IPL to introduce relegation system, a league needs atleast 20 teams, 10 each for first division and 2nd division to introduce relegation system.

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Disasterous idea, and drive away potential investors from the PSL?. The PSL is not well established like the IPL yet to pull this approach off.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Btw no team has the amount of team dinners, parties and outings like the Peshawar Zalmi does and yet they keep coming in the top 3-4 and the finals.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There needs to be some kind of incentive based reprecussion for these guys. Colin Munro must have raked in serious cash for scoring a total of 50-60 runs this year!

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I think, instead of financial penalty, which’ll be interpreted negatively by the owners (players as well), it should be other way round. Make financial gains subject to the position on final table.

The idea is simple, PSL’s highest money comes from broadcasting, and then may be gate money - both are controlled by PSL commission (or similar). Gate money should increase with PSL being played in PAK next year. These money are shared between Franchise equally (correct me otherwise).

I’ll bring a change here - 60% of the purse is shared equally between 6 teams (10% each), and rest 40% like this

- Top 2: 10% each
    - Next 2: 7.5% each
    - 5th: 5%
    - 6th: 0%

Here, the biggest gainer will be 5th team over 6th team, because of a jump of 5% extra from the biggest pay bucket, therefore teams should be desperate to avoid last spot.

On top of that the prize money is there for finishing 1-2-3/4 & they should make prize money for elimination 4 games multiple times higher than priliminary round - making it even more costly for last 2 teams.

But, it’s true that there is a genuine lack of effort/heart from players in PSL - this can only improve if PSL’s average age is reduced by at least 5 years, so that young, hungry players can use it as a platform to launch their career.
    this looks a lot better idea than what OP suggest

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    this looks a lot better idea than what OP suggest

I agree as long as it makes some of the franchises wake up and stop using PSL like a party just because they are paying for it

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Btw no team has the amount of team dinners, parties and outings like the Peshawar Zalmi does and yet they keep coming in the top 3-4 and the finals.
    All of them do, just dont make videos of it.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The franchises are sitting pretty with no one to challenge them - they get good players, bad players, have fun etc - it doesnt matter - there is no incentive to improve.

This is a great thread. I would suggest a prize money pool which is split so no penalties but the opposite.

Psl has not been very intense this year. Watching shadab khan get smashed and laugh like he’s having a joke is pretty annoying

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Punishing for being slow or non performance is right out of Uday Hussein's school of sports performance. Professionalism is expected of sportsmen and I'm sure people are trying their best. That doesn't guarantee performance. Players know they will be thrown away if they dont give their best. That's all you can ask.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thats very irrational.

Franchise are involved in this for marketing purpose. If they are making money thats it good enough.

Also Rana sahb looking sad is all just a gimmick. The guy has done good marketing of himself, and not only that but also of his team. EVery PSL related content shared on facebook is about Lahore Qalanders.

So the main goal of Lahore Qalander is being fulfilled.

If they arn't performing, thats not PCB's concern. THe purpose of PSL isn't to provide quality cricket, its to make profits for PCB and the franchise owners. Now the profits could be made many ways and if performing bad is effective then soo be it.

If Pakistan cricket team selection is done based on PSL selection, then that shows how much of a joke our Cricket management is. T20 is fun cricket, but you cant make odi and test selection based on t20 performance.

Also you have to understand that the PSL model is different compared to other sports.
    Teams do not have home grounds, thus losing doesn't matter. If teams had homegrounds with home base fans, then it would matter because the gate revenue generated would go to the home team, and fans usually do not show up for a home team that isn't performing.

So if you want PCB to influence the quality of cricket in a franchise then that could be done by the following process:

1) Have the whole PSL played in Pakistan
    2) All teams get there home ground in their respective city (United gets Pindi stadium )
    3) Franchise teams get to set the ticket price and they get to keep all the revenue generated from ticket sales.

This is the kind of model they have got in NHL. But for this struture to be bought in place, we first need psl matches happening not only in Pakistan but in cities like Peshawar, Quetta and Pindi. But thats going to take time.

The first and only PM of Pakistan to lose the peoples confidence = Imran Khan

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

also its teh franchises money, they have not recieved these teams for free they ahve paid big amounts and to get the return they could do whatever they want.

If on the basis of Cost benefit Analysis, poor performance generates them more revenue then winning, then so be it.

Remember, even the winning teams donot have good players. Peshawar Zalmi is an example. THey are winning, but they have the tried and tested. Hence next you might complain that PCB should make sure that certain players shouldn't play PSL as we are not generating new players and blocking the way for them.

Peshawar has Kammi, Umar Amin, Sohaib Maqsood, Misbah,Wahab and Umaid. All of them are tried and tested, but hey they are giving the results that Peshawar wants.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an awful idea. Makes no sense, teams aren't losing on purpose. The only incentive to really really stop teams from losing could be to add a promotion/relegation system but don't think that would work for T20 leagues.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So if suddenly everyone becomes more focused and the games are way more competitive the lowest ranking team will still have to endure financial penalties despite giving their all? I see a problem with this.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let’s not forget all teams are losing money as is..case in point Schon group or whoever dumping the team one year on.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I understand that franchises are not making money, but think about this

1. They bought the teams, they will hold these teams come rain or shine, its sunk cost. Basically, you win or lose, no one will take the team away, all you need to do is somehow to make money on the side.

2. So each game is treated as - "challo boys do your best" - nothing less or more at stake.

3. Lets party, have fun, call our friends over to Dubai in fancy hotels, have a ball.

From my experience, I saw players losing games, then back to their bus laughing and joking, arrive at the hotel and out they were waiting for the taxis/friends to take them away.

Some players were only coming into the hotel to sleep, others could not be located as they were 'relaxing' etc

The PSL = party time - the people who worry about cricket? you and I!

In summary, What I am asking for is how to raise those stakes. If not money, what will make them do better?

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO.

On the contrary, there is a lot of pressure on players and owners as it is. If the players do not perform, they are bound to lose their contract or not get selected for next season. Might even result in them not being selected for any team in the other leagues. So a big monetary loss for them.

If the team loses, the market value of the team can take a hit, not to mention embarrassment for the owners. I am sure behind the scenes, they put a lot of pressure on players to perform. All those parties and entertainment is planned to make players relax, feel good and enjoy their off time. In return, the owners expect that the players (specially overseas) repay them in kind.
    Last edited by surprise-package; 12th March 2019 at 23:39.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surprise-package View Post
    NO.

On the contrary, there is a lot of pressure on players and owners as it is. If the players do not perform, they are bound to lose their contract or not get selected for next season. Might even result in them not being selected for any team in the other leagues. So a big monetary loss for them.

If the team loses, the market value of the team can take a hit, not to mention embarrassment for the owners. I am sure behind the scenes, they put a lot of pressure on players to perform. All those parties and entertainment is planned to make players relax, feel good and enjoy their off time. In return, the owners expect that the players (specially overseas) repay them in kind.
    What market value of LQ has gone down after 4 PSLs? This is a monopoly bro!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol it's a T20 league. The players aren't going to show that much interest let's be honest. Also the quality of cricket isn't the best.

Franchises should scout more heavily. These T20 leagues have more than enough talent out there. Just got to find them.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What market value of LQ has gone down after 4 PSLs? This is a monopoly bro!
    Am sure sponsorship revenue takes a hit. Which product will want to be associated with a team which keeps losing?

Also pride of the owner and the city itself is at stake. So if a player is not serious and motivated, he can say goodbye for next season. I am sure heads will be rolled for next season in the LQ camp.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    IPL players party off the field as well. If the players don't perform, they get shafted and go unsold in the next season. Its pure business. The PSL showed Gale and Mccullam the Boot for not delivering

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    T20 is essentially party cricket unless you are playing a world cup

Isnt it the same in IPL?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Was watching a Game On Hai episode of Rashid Latif and Shoaib Akhtar and they disclosed that some of the owners in the PSL and they indirectly mentioned the two biggest Franchises i.e. Karachi Kings and Lahore Qalandars were being run unprofessionally and not as a business. Their biggest gripe was that the owners were just too close to the players in the squad and the team management which made it very difficult for them to make tough decisions.

Rashid Latif also mentioned that some of the owners were trying to butter up to the Foreign players and ignored the local players in the side which too was not good for team morale.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Eventually i hope there will be 8 teams. The bottom 2 teams should be relegated to National T20 cup (or create a new similar T20 league). Teams that do well in the new T20 league should be promoted to PSL. Basically similar to how it's done in soccer.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Was watching a Game On Hai episode of Rashid Latif and Shoaib Akhtar and they disclosed that some of the owners in the PSL and they indirectly mentioned the two biggest Franchises i.e. Karachi Kings and Lahore Qalandars were being run unprofessionally and not as a business. Their biggest gripe was that the owners were just too close to the players in the squad and the team management which made it very difficult for them to make tough decisions.

Rashid Latif also mentioned that some of the owners were trying to butter up to the Foreign players and ignored the local players in the side which too was not good for team morale.
    shoaib akhtar always has problems with others

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My word Rashid Latif has really become anti Mickey Arthur, Karachi Kings. Never minces words to take a dig. When the host asked him about Umar Khan and his future, Latif just responded that he will try to buy a team himself and the first thing he will do is to select Umar Khan, when asked why, Latif was like "He is going to be wasted in Karachi Kings".

I think he in previous episodes as well took a dig at the Karachi Kings management that they give too much respect, importance to foreign players, foreign coaches but put the local players and coaches aside.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awful idea.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This idea is beyond stupid.

You can't punish non performance directly. You can award the teams who do better and that's the only way to police them.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrai View Post
    Eventually i hope there will be 8 teams. The bottom 2 teams should be relegated to National T20 cup (or create a new similar T20 league). Teams that do well in the new T20 league should be promoted to PSL. Basically similar to how it's done in soccer.
    No, it doesnÂ’t work like that in soccer.

Club soccer is run by the Soccer Association of the county (not in US), and all the teams are in a system which has 10-12 tiers, may be top 3-4 professional, rest are either amateur clubs or community/service clubs. For example, English league has 12 tiers - last one has university/service teams which plays in FA cup 1st round .... around 350 clubs in total. Pro/semi pro 127 (?) clubs play in top 4 tiers (PL, Champuonship, League 1, League 2) - EPL has 20 teams, Championship & other 2 has 24 each; then the lower tier. There is promotion & relegation.

PLs & SLs run in franchise model, where the league is basically owned by the club/brand owners (they appoint a commissioner to administer the operation within guidelines & national sports body laws) & major chunk of revenue is owned by the franchise who pays the players & CommissionerÂ’s office. Each league is seperate from others and there is no cross over (read relegation/promotion). We hear lot about NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS or NHL - these are the top leagues of respective sports, but there are other leagues as well. No team in North American sports are relegated/promoted simply because there is no tier - there is no NBA division 2 (NBA D league is different thing); whatever proceeds are earned is shared by the franchise depending on their position in regular season table. Top teams get higher share but lower ranked teams get the top draft rights which helps them building better squads in future - this mechanism keeps the leagues very much balanced in terms of revenue share and relative strength over a period. For example once MJ & Pipen left, that Bull team had none left and their draft picks were outside top 30 (because of winning 6 NBA in previous 7/8years) - they couldnÂ’t recover from that in a decade until 1st pick (by that time they dropped down enough to enjoy 1st pick) Derick Rose pulled them up in his MVP year. A similar phase now is being faced by Cleveland & Lakers. NBA teams can block their players even from contesting in Olympics, and US (or any other), National federation canÂ’t do much, because the league isnÂ’t owned by US Olympic Association.

There canÂ’t be any relegation in any PL, SL - no owner will agree to miss a season (of revenue share), after such investment for finishing last (or last 2) - only solution is classification in revenue shares as I mentioned and draft picks. For PSL, draft picks are not working much because LQ has enjoyed 1st picks for last 3 years and they are run by idiots - after enjoying 12 of the 15 1st drafts, they ended up playing Dinesh Ramdhin at 4, then forced Umar Akmal to leave .... then made hack Fakhar Captain. Another franchise that enjoyed top drafts is no good either - Mickey ArthurÂ’s KK; a coach that played 3 pacers in UAE Test, in 2 back to back games, after burning hand in 1st one.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    My word Rashid Latif has really become anti Mickey Arthur, Karachi Kings. Never minces words to take a dig. When the host asked him about Umar Khan and his future, Latif just responded that he will try to buy a team himself and the first thing he will do is to select Umar Khan, when asked why, Latif was like "He is going to be wasted in Karachi Kings".

I think he in previous episodes as well took a dig at the Karachi Kings management that they give too much respect, importance to foreign players, foreign coaches but put the local players and coaches aside.
    Mickey Arthur wasn't even involved in the draft, and Rashid Latif took the opportunity, went ahead and picked Jaahid Ali

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If only we had tier 1, tier 2 system where bottom ranked teams at the end of each season would be at the risk of being relegated to tier 2 like it happens in football.

T20 league cricket is still a joke though. One player playing for 10 clubs all over the world and no threat of relegation; no champions league to decide the best club in the world etc.

It’s all just some non serious circus to make money.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    No, it doesnÂ’t work like that in soccer.

Club soccer is run by the Soccer Association of the county (not in US), and all the teams are in a system which has 10-12 tiers, may be top 3-4 professional, rest are either amateur clubs or community/service clubs. For example, English league has 12 tiers - last one has university/service teams which plays in FA cup 1st round .... around 350 clubs in total. Pro/semi pro 127 (?) clubs play in top 4 tiers (PL, Champuonship, League 1, League 2) - EPL has 20 teams, Championship & other 2 has 24 each; then the lower tier. There is promotion & relegation.

PLs & SLs run in franchise model, where the league is basically owned by the club/brand owners (they appoint a commissioner to administer the operation within guidelines & national sports body laws) & major chunk of revenue is owned by the franchise who pays the players & CommissionerÂ’s office. Each league is seperate from others and there is no cross over (read relegation/promotion). We hear lot about NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS or NHL - these are the top leagues of respective sports, but there are other leagues as well. No team in North American sports are relegated/promoted simply because there is no tier - there is no NBA division 2 (NBA D league is different thing); whatever proceeds are earned is shared by the franchise depending on their position in regular season table. Top teams get higher share but lower ranked teams get the top draft rights which helps them building better squads in future - this mechanism keeps the leagues very much balanced in terms of revenue share and relative strength over a period. For example once MJ & Pipen left, that Bull team had none left and their draft picks were outside top 30 (because of winning 6 NBA in previous 7/8years) - they couldnÂ’t recover from that in a decade until 1st pick (by that time they dropped down enough to enjoy 1st pick) Derick Rose pulled them up in his MVP year. A similar phase now is being faced by Cleveland & Lakers. NBA teams can block their players even from contesting in Olympics, and US (or any other), National federation canÂ’t do much, because the league isnÂ’t owned by US Olympic Association.

There canÂ’t be any relegation in any PL, SL - no owner will agree to miss a season (of revenue share), after such investment for finishing last (or last 2) - only solution is classification in revenue shares as I mentioned and draft picks. For PSL, draft picks are not working much because LQ has enjoyed 1st picks for last 3 years and they are run by idiots - after enjoying 12 of the 15 1st drafts, they ended up playing Dinesh Ramdhin at 4, then forced Umar Akmal to leave .... then made hack Fakhar Captain. Another franchise that enjoyed top drafts is no good either - Mickey ArthurÂ’s KK; a coach that played 3 pacers in UAE Test, in 2 back to back games, after burning hand in 1st one.
    Thanks for the info.

Owners definitely would not agree.

Now that you mention it, it's very annoying how Lahore has gotten first picks 3 times in a row-yet they still finished last.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've been saying it for the longest time, give each a few local players. They will play with more passion and fans will feel a larger connection to the team. Might not be realistic, but it will work.

For example:

Islamabad gets: Imad, Amir, Asif, Amin...

Karachi gets: Sarfraz, Fakhar, Rumman, Afridi...

Lahore gets: Babar, Wahab, Umar, Kamran...

Peshawar gets: Shaheen, Shehzad, Yasir, Rizwan...

Then Multan and Quetta gets a mixed squad like Malik, Nawaz, Hasan, but they get to choose the best foreign players.

There should be a redraft of players now. Enough with the same teams making the finals.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Maybe Indian posters can shed light on whether this was a problem with the IPL early on?

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Maybe Indian posters can shed light on whether this was a problem with the IPL early on?
    Of course.

Delhi and Punjab have been at the bottom of the table except for 1-2 seasons.

Like I said above, without a proper multiple tier system with relegations, there is no threat to franchise promoters to get things right. Even bottom ranked teams make good money from sponsorships, ticket and merch sales etc.

The system is far from perfect.

Bottom line, T20 leagues are a joke. Not tobe taken too seriously for the time being. So let’s chill.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Of course.

Delhi and Punjab have been at the bottom of the table except for 1-2 seasons.

Like I said above, without a proper multiple tier system with relegations, there is no threat to franchise promoters to get things right. Even bottom ranked teams make good money from sponsorships, ticket and merch sales etc.

The system is far from perfect.

Bottom line, T20 leagues are a joke. Not tobe taken too seriously for the time being. So let’s chill.
    Yes, in a way that's how they should be taken. Good entertainment and good level cricket. Good for finding few good talented players every season but that's it. If you want intense T20 cricket then watch the world T20 or something.

Having said that, T20 leagues are still pretty fun and rope in crowds.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBowlingAllrounder View Post
    Yes, in a way that's how they should be taken. Good entertainment and good level cricket. Good for finding few good talented players every season but that's it. If you want intense T20 cricket then watch the world T20 or something.

Having said that, T20 leagues are still pretty fun and rope in crowds.

That's a word that cannot be associated with any T20 league.

I had some interest in IPL in its early days like first 3-4 seasons. That's when not many nations had a premier league and the best players in the world played for probably 1 more club other than IPL back home. Today players are active in 6-7 leagues. It's quite absurd. As a fan i have zero attachment with any club. There is no club loyalty.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    That's a word that cannot be associated with any T20 league.

I had some interest in IPL in its early days like first 3-4 seasons. That's when not many nations had a premier league and the best players in the world played for probably 1 more club other than IPL back home. Today players are active in 6-7 leagues. It's quite absurd. As a fan i have zero attachment with any club. There is no club loyalty.
    There is no loyalty in franchise cricket because essentially it is all a business with the contracts and sponsorships and endorsements. I guess the volume of T20 League cricket around the world is why so many players such as Tymal Mills choose that path.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Any views on this topic, now that we are in PSL 7?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make financial incentives for making top 4 and also the picking order for the draft be the rankings with the top ranked team picking first and so forth. Financial penalties will only aggrieve the owners.