Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1809 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Wahab Riaz asked to stop ‘slitting the batsmen’s throat’ celebration in PSL

Wahab Riaz’s pace can be scary, bounce scarier - ask the 2015 World Cup-winning Australian top-order for proof. But scariest is his latest celebration style.

From ‘twirling the moustache’ to the his ‘sword’ celebration, the Pakistan left-arm pacer has moved on and perfected the art of ‘slitting the batsman’s throat’ -- by way of celebration.

Now, his coach in the Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Peshawar Zalmi has asked him to stop the controversial celebration.

“My coach has told me to lay off this celebration style and, in fact, all the bowlers have been told to avoid excessive celebrations after taking a wicket,” Wahab, who has taken 13 wickets in the T20 league, said.

The experienced pacer, known for his ability to bowl at around 150mph, said he had decided to get rid of his handle bar moustache for the same reason.

“I am back to a clean shave and avoiding taking a wicket with my slitting the throat celebration as I also realised it could lead to criticism and unnecessary controversies. I didn’t look very nice after I saw it on screen myself,” Wahab said.

In awe and fear, the world watched as Wahab rattled the likes of Michael Clarke, David Warner and Shane Watson with his searing pace and bounce, in the quarterfinal of the ICC World Cup four years ago.

Wahab’s celebration style was the talk of the PSL after he exhibited it in the first match but has now tapered down his aggression.

Wahab said he was very disappointed at not being in the national team for the coming one-day series against Australia but had still not given up the dream of playing in his third successive World Cup.

“That I very disappointed would be an understatement but I have learnt to take such things in my stride and just keep on doing my best and that is what I am doing in the PSL,” he added.

Apparently, Wahab, who has taken 83 Test, 102 ODI and 28 T20 international wickets in his career, was initially selected in the Pakistan squad for the Australia series but was dropped at the last moment and replaced by rookie fast bowler, Mohammad Hasnain.

“I don’t know what happened or not but my job is to keep trying. My only grievance is that if you give me a chance give me a proper chance to show my worth. Don’t sideline me after a few games,” he said.

Wahab said he also deserved to get as many chances as others got.

“I know I still have plenty of cricket left in me and I can make an impact in the World Cup but rest is up to the selectors. But, yes, I would like to know where my future stands,” he said

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le26524944.ece

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice by the coach. His celebration was cringe worthy. I am glad he realized it and ended it.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Good. The celebrations should not be too offensive.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iRfaN_LA View Post
    Good advice by the coach. His celebration was cringe worthy. I am glad he realized it and ended it.
    He realized after being told. Should have that much sensitivity.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think i've seen a single article about Wahab Riaz that doesn't reference the 2015 WC QF.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was there in 2015 where u felt Watson could be ko’d every delivery was super satisfying.

But this is 2019 and his ship as long sailed

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1809 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by static View Post
    I don't think i've seen a single article about Wahab Riaz that doesn't reference the 2015 WC QF.
    Even in yesterday's presser Watson was asked about it!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mans 34, he needs to stop.

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might seem impressive that he can still crank it up to 150k's at his age, but actually the fact he is still continuing to do so shows that he has nothing else in his armoury.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

In awe and fear, the world watched as Wahab rattled the likes of Michael Clarke, David Warner and Shane Watson with his searing pace and bounce, in the quarterfinal of the ICC World Cup four years ago.

Wow that escalated quickly.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God.
    It was cringeworthy to say the least.

Besides i enjoy the natural celebrations more than preplanned ones,they seem forced and awkward.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Wow that escalated quickly.
    Totally over the top. Sounds straight out of an Indian soap opera

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I don’t know what happened or not but my job is to keep trying. My only grievance is that if you give me a chance give me a proper chance to show my worth. Don’t sideline me after a few games,” he said.

How many chances do you need? He still can be decent in tests and T20s (when bowlers are being rotated) but not in ODIs, i have mentioned reasons numerous times.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    two new balls ended his career..

but wasn't his phainta in the 2012 asia cup before the two new balls rule? gave 50 runs in 4 overs

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I would still consider him for the WC to be honest. In 50 over games you do get some reverse, and even in the 20 over games he has been good at the death. If you watched yesterday's game, only those with sheer pace were able to stop batsman like Shane Watson from going to town.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What about wearing army caps that could be interpreted as promoting warfare?

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I would still consider him for the WC to be honest. In 50 over games you do get some reverse, and even in the 20 over games he has been good at the death. If you watched yesterday's game, only those with sheer pace were able to stop batsman like Shane Watson from going to town.
    Problem with him in ODIs is that bowl only starts to reverse swing max as early as 25 overs because of two new balls but if you are playing with only 3 seamers he would have to ball some overs before that as well. However, due to his inherent wrist issue his control over new or semi new ball is pretty mediocre and he can generally cost a lot of runs before the ball starts to reverse. You can check the trend in his last few ODIs. So unless a captain has an option of not bowling him till 25th over than he can be really handy as his death bowling skills arent questionable.

In T20s and Tests he can still play according to conditions or as required.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Don't mind a bit of showmanship, stop telling bowlers how to celebrate.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Should be in the squad ahead of garbage like Junaid. His good days are done.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Problem with him in ODIs is that bowl only starts to reverse swing max as early as 25 overs because of two new balls but if you are playing with only 3 seamers he would have to ball some overs before that as well. However, due to his inherent wrist issue his control over new or semi new ball is pretty mediocre and he can generally cost a lot of runs before the ball starts to reverse. You can check the trend in his last few ODIs. So unless a captain has an option of not bowling him till 25th over than he can be really handy as his death bowling skills arent questionable.

In T20s and Tests he can still play according to conditions or as required.
    I suppose then you would have to stack his bowling in ODIs against the rest of the bowlers available. To my mind, all of them are quite inconsistent and have question marks either in the early overs or at the death. Mohammed Abbas for example would be great for opening but useless at the death. Amir is inconsistent at any time, same for Faheem and Hasan.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice the slitting throat was a little too much. He will never be able to get away from the WC QF, that's his career highlight...and he deserved to have gotten the better of it if the fielders hadn't dropped those catches

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face - Mike Tyson
    Proud Green Blooded Pakistani

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As long as he doesn't go back to blowing kisses at the batsmen.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Don't mind a bit of showmanship, stop telling bowlers how to celebrate.
    Slitting the throat is heavily frowned upon in most sports.

I've seen players get suspended/fined in North American sports for similar gestures.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good. It was cringe worthy anyways.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The way Shaheen did was actually better. It looked much cooler as well when he bowled Kamran Akmal