Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1954 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

"I don't think any team starts the World Cup as favourites" : Virat Kohli

Virat Kohli has declared that the World Cup title race is wide open and no team can be labelled as clear favourites. With the quadrennial less than two months away, hosts England and heavyweights India are touted as the clear favourites but Kohli has rejected the notion. Kohli's Team India were beaten 3-2 at home by a depleted Australian side who claimed a 35-run victory in the fifth and final One-day International (ODI) in Delhi on Thursday to end their two-year series drought in the format. "Honestly, every team at the World Cup is a threat. Anyone who gets on a roll at a World Cup, it's very, very difficult to stop that team," Kohli said in a press conference.

"Having said that, any team who's on a roll can be knocked out in the semis... they can be defeated immediately by a side that's more brave on that particular day and wants it more and is more expressive as a side.

"I don't think any team starts the World Cup as favourites. Any team is dangerous. You see how the West Indies has come along. They are going to be a serious threat at the World Cup as well because of the balance that they've been able to crack.

"England has been a very strong side, Australia is now looking balanced, we are a strong side, New Zealand is good, Pakistan can defeat anyone on their day," Kohli added.

Australia claimed a stunning come-from-behind series win for a huge confidence boost ahead of the World Cup and with Steve Smith and David Warner soon to be back in the fold, the defending champions look solid on paper.

With the Indian Premier League set to get under way next week, Virat Kohli's team will not play any ODIs before the World Cup warm up matches.

India were riding high on confidence after series wins in Australia and New Zealand earlier this year but they have been handed a reality check in their last international assignment ahead of cricket's showpiece event to be hosted by England and Wales, starting May 30.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/vira...-upset-2007376

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of indians are hurt coz of kohli saying "pakistan can beat anyone on their day" people need to calm down
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 14th March 2019 at 19:57.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is this guy and then there is small man Teenda who thinks India will win just if they step out on the field. Then they wonder why most people like Kohli more than the midget.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    To be fair, Australia in 2007 was about as clear as it got. No one was beating them.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    There is this guy and then there is small man Teenda who thinks India will win just if they step out on the field. Then they wonder why most people like Kohli more than the midget.
    Sachin never said India will win if they just step on field. Don't twist facts to such extent that you become a laughing stock and I presume you can understand english. He said, we should play Pakistan in world cup and should not gift 2 points. It means if we forefeit the game....2 points will be gifted to Pak as a result of walkover. India should play and give a shot rather than gifting away 2 points. I see absolutely nothing wrong in that statement.

Now, where and which part did he say....India will win if they just step up? Seriously? But then not surprising coming from you.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Sachin never said India will win if they just step on field. Don't twist facts to such extent that you become a laughing stock and I presume you can understand english. He said, we should play Pakistan in world cup and should not gift 2 points. It means if we forefeit the game....2 points will be gifted to Pak as a result of walkover. India should play and give a shot rather than gifting away 2 points. I see absolutely nothing wrong in that statement.

Now, where and which part did he say....India will win if they just step up? Seriously? But then not surprising coming from you.
    He is a certify hater. 2011 semi final is still hurting him or 2003 centurion?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a_tahir View Post
    A lot of indians are hurt coz of kohli saying "pakistan can beat anyone on their day" people need to calm down
    I've heard cricketers in the 80s use the same sentence and everybody ever since. Pakistan can beat anyone on their day. Well...anybody can beat anybody on their day actually. The key phrase is "on their day".

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Are you for real?? You seem to have no sense of cricketing knowledge. Tendulkar simply said why should we forfeit the game and give Pakistan two points. He didn’t say it’s th onky way, Pakistan will get two points.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    I've heard cricketers in the 80s use the same sentence and everybody ever since. Pakistan can beat anyone on their day. Well...anybody can beat anybody on their day actually. The key phrase is "on their day".
    They say this cause PAK team is very dangerous cause once they have momentum its hard to stop them like 92, 09, 17.

Teams like SA, ENG, NZ have been and still are WC but they hardly figure in big ICC games when it matters, hence a team like PAK that more often then not does perform, is always dangerous.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fake praises from a fake person.Never to be taken seriously

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Pakistan is the one underdog team that can destroy teams, regardless of what kind of form the other team is in. Likewise they have the ability to drop 'easier' games to weaker opponents.

The word 'fluke' is used with Pakistan a lot more than any other team in world cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The most open WC of all time.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England being the home side are my favourites. All top sides are capable of defeating each other, Kohli is right in that regard.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Englandís WC to lose.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No wonder, this is Kohli's era. He has been class apart on and off the field.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1954 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    MUMBAI: High-flying India crashed to a stunning 2-3 defeat against Australia at home in the bilateral ODI series and the setback should act as a warning sign for Virat Kohli and his men going into the upcoming World Cup as one of the favourites, feels former captain Rahul Dravid.

India led 2-0 in the five-match series, but lost the last three to the reigning World Cup champions to lose an ODI series after a lengthy gap.

These games are the last of the 50-over competition for India going into the World Cup commencing on May 30 in England.

"I think there was a bit of notion that we are going to walk there and win the World Cup easily. So it's a good thing that has happened. What it has (the outcome against Australia) reminded us is that we have to play the World Cup very, very well," said Dravid.

Dravid was speaking at an event along with his former India teammate Sanjay Manjrekar on Wednesday.

"In a way I think it's a good balancing factor. India has performed well in the last couple of years. There was a little bit of talk that we are almost going to walk in there and win the World Cup very easily because we are the No. 1 team and we have been dominating one-day cricket for the last couple of years," said India's current under 19 and A team coach.

"But I don't find anything strange from my perspective watching the series. I still feel that we are going to be one of the favourites. But it's going to be tough. It's going to be competitive," the cricket stalwart insisted.

Both Dravid and Manjrekar also answered queries on the much-talked about work load factor in the IPL starting on March 23 for some key Indian players, who are expected to make the World Cup squad, such as Jasprit Bumrah and Hardik Pandya.

All rounder Pandya is coming off a lower back injury layoff that forced him to miss matches in Australia as well as the home series against the same opponents at home.

"Most players are smart about these things. They know how to handle their body. I don't think the players would put their body on the line. I was reading Patrick Cummins (Australia pacer) saying that he feels better bowling when he is constantly playing rather than having rested and coming back," Dravid said.

"So to each player, it's different. There cannot be a blanket case that all should be rested. We have to just trust the players. They know what needs to be done," he opined.

Manjrekar was even more forthright and said the Cricket Board should not put pressure on IPL franchises to rest some players in view of the following World Cup.

"My views won't be appreciated. This is free enterprise. IPL is capitalism at its best. I don't think there should be any outside interference. It should be up to the franchises. Don't think there should be pressure (on IPL franchises) from the Cricket Board (BCCI) (to rest some players)," the former Test batsman turned TV commentator remarked.

Both also talked about the numbers game in cricket.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68497962.cms

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter