Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    5,754
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Is bowling in cricket the most complex motion for a sportsman?

    I mean all other sports are simple/straight forward and any one can pick up and start playing without much fuss be it tennis, hockey, football, basketball, baseball any one who watch that sports for the first time can understand what's happening and how to do it, the complex motion in these sports like basketball athletic dunks, football master dribbling moves are not mandatory to perform for a newbie starting that particular sport but such case is not with cricket bowling you have to learn how to bowl legally in order to play that sport,
    Agreed?

  2. #2
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    30,269
    Mentioned
    1023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    If you're playing any sport the way it should be played then a lot of them have a steep learning curve, including soccer. However, if you're playing in your backyard or in the gulli, no one cares if you're chucking or not as long as you are on target.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    5,754
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am talking about Bare basic stuffs including the legality , I don't think any other sports requires such complex sets of motion

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    5,754
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I soccer you just have to take the ball forward and kick it in near goal post , what's complex in it?

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    3,160
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    If you're playing any sport the way it should be played then a lot of them have a steep learning curve, including soccer. However, if you're playing in your backyard or in the gulli, no one cares if you're chucking or not as long as you are on target.
    You cannot bowl fast if you are chucking even in gulli cricket, only watta spin is allowed .

  6. #6
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    4,581
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Delivering a pitch in baseball is more difficult, since most starters have to master multiple deliveries. Comparable to a spinner, but spinners will have 2-3 balls at most

    Golf swing is also extremely mechanical, more so than a bowling in cricket.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    3,160
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tennis serves also involves very complex motion.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    5,754
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In tennis you just have to throw the ball in the air and hit the crap out of it, what complex in this apart from legality of the serve which definitely not involve complex motion
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 15th March 2019 at 19:44.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    247
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tennis serve is one of the hardest to master.
    I am involved in softball and baseball, it take years to master pitching and softball and baseball.



    As in any sport, it's hard to be a master of the trade. It take lot of time and hard work, higher you go more time and hard work is needed. Talent will only take you so far.

  10. #10
    Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    5,654
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    You cannot bowl fast if you are chucking even in gulli cricket, only watta spin is allowed .
    Good times

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    81,473
    Mentioned
    5951 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    In tennis you just have to throw the ball in the air and hit the crap out of it, what complex in this apart from legality of the serve which definitely not involve complex motion
    If that is the case, why can't every tennis player be like Federer, Roddick, Nadal, Djokovic, Sampras etc.?

    Every sport is much, much harder than it looks including the ones that appear to be very simple. The learning curve is always very steep. I will give you another example - the golf swing. Most people who have not hit a single golf shot in their lives assume that it is a very simple sport - just swing and hit the little ball.

    However, a newbie will take hours and hours of practice just to get the ball into the air, let alone hitting it in the required direction and getting distance, and this is just the introduction to the extremely complex world of golf.

    Your assessment of the tennis serve reminds me of my attitude towards snooker/billiards, until the day I decided to have a go at it myself and picked up a cue. If you want to become very good at it, there is no such thing as an easy sport or an uncomplicated motion in sports.
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 15th March 2019 at 19:44.

  12. #12
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    10,158
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is. Fast bowling, in particular.


    A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    In your head
    Runs
    10,368
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I imagine figure skating isn't too easy to pick up.


    I have returned.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're wrong. Baseball is the hardest sport especially professionally. Many times professional baseball players have told athletes of other sports I can play your sport not too badly but you will absolutely suck at my sport.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    34,438
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with the OP.

    Pace bowling is tough when you first play the sport. Pitching in baseball is not as tough, as you only throw the ball. The same goes for tennis serves, which is simply the ball thrown in the air and then hit over the nets.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    I agree with the OP.

    Pace bowling is tough when you first play the sport. Pitching in baseball is not as tough, as you only throw the ball. The same goes for tennis serves, which is simply the ball thrown in the air and then hit over the nets.
    It's not just the pitching in baseball that's tough. The hand eye coordination to hit a 99 MPH pitch or 80 MPH curve ball is incredibly tough.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    287
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice hockey is the hardest and I'm not even Canadian or live in Canada. It's basically two sports rolled into one. First you need to master ice skating and be very good at it.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    34,438
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar2020 View Post
    It's not just the pitching in baseball that's tough. The hand eye coordination to hit a 99 MPH pitch or 80 MPH curve ball is incredibly tough.
    I dont think the OP was talking about expertise but which body motion is the most difficult in sports. It's not hard at all to stand still and throw a ball but it's much harder to run in and bowl overarm. I have played most sports as a child and had no issues with throwing a ball straight enough but when bowling the first time I was bowling 3/4 wides followed by one straight ball. Sometimes the ball used to bounce twice or a few times if it came out wrong.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  19. #19
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    287
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    In tennis you just have to throw the ball in the air and hit the crap out of it, what complex in this apart from legality of the serve which definitely not involve complex motion
    Well if you're going to stoop to that level then cricket is just trying to whack a ball with a piece of wood a la gully cricket.
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 15th March 2019 at 19:46.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    34,438
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaf348 View Post
    Ice hockey is the hardest and I'm not even Canadian or live in Canada. It's basically two sports rolled into one. First you need to master ice skating and be very good at it.
    Using skates is not the same as ice skating so not really two sports. In ice skating you have to perform some very difficult manoeuvres. Once you can skate it then isn't too tough to hold a stick and skate.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  21. #21
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    934
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tennis is very complexe aswell. When i started playing it, I was like oh see ball hit ball but nah, it has to be hit on a angle to go straight or it flys off.

  22. #22
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    1,121
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about gymnastics? or Brazilian Ju Jitsu?

  23. #23
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    2,038
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Your assessment of the tennis serve reminds me of my attitude towards snooker/billiards, until the day I decided to have a go at it myself and picked up a cue. If you want to become very good at it, there is no such thing as an easy sport or an uncomplicated motion in sports.
    This is not what the OP is eluding too. The action of a snooker player is very simple, it's the understanding of angles and linear momentum which are required in Snooker/Billiards.

    To OP : The bowling action is not the most complex in sport, I would say it is the driving action in Formula 1 that is the most complex.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,240
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    All sports are difficult. difficult to compare.
    The average quarterback has less than three seconds to get the ball to a passer or receiver before he gets sacked by guys running in at 15 miles an hour and weighing in excess of 200 pounds.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    81,473
    Mentioned
    5951 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    This is not what the OP is eluding too. The action of a snooker player is very simple, it's the understanding of angles and linear momentum which are required in Snooker/Billiards.

    To OP : The bowling action is not the most complex in sport, I would say it is the driving action in Formula 1 that is the most complex.
    I know. I was simply making a general point of how a particular sport can look a lot easier than it actually is.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    9,918
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree and say yes.. proper quick bowling is a very very complicated process physically..

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    2,256
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I played baseball in High School and let me tell you hitting a baseball without striking out is one of the hardest things you can do. But in any sport mastering a skill is very very tough.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    805
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fast bowling is physically demanding. Although, the action itself is not that hard to maintain.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    5,754
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am obviously not talking about mastery level , but just the basic stuff to enjoy it properly and also being proper and legal , It has to be cricket bowling or ice hockey I guess.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket batting as a professional is one of the easiest by the way. Think of it this way. A baseball player can EASILY bat in a professional cricket match and he will do quite okay.

    Whereas a professional cricket batsman will look like a fool in a professional baseball game.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    2,232
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm... Place kicking in rugby is quite "complex".

    There's the distance to the posts, the angle of the kick, pressure, wind, the score, crowd, other players, and that's before you even actually kick the ball.


  32. #32
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    2,232
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar2020 View Post
    Cricket batting as a professional is one of the easiest by the way. Think of it this way. A baseball player can EASILY bat in a professional cricket match and he will do quite okay.

    Whereas a professional cricket batsman will look like a fool in a professional baseball game.
    Over here it's quite common to do both a winter and summer sport. MANY rugby players can thus play cricket quite well. The South African rugby team actually beat the Proteas in a charity 20 over match .

    Here is the scorecard: Link

  33. #33
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    3,848
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar2020 View Post
    Cricket batting as a professional is one of the easiest by the way. Think of it this way. A baseball player can EASILY bat in a professional cricket match and he will do quite okay.

    Whereas a professional cricket batsman will look like a fool in a professional baseball game.
    Wasn't there a baseball player who had played at a decent standard who tried to do this recently and struggled massively at amateur level cricket?

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    2,232
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Wasn't there a baseball player who had played at a decent standard who tried to do this recently and struggled massively at amateur level cricket?
    It's quite an interesting topic to explore. I'm convinced our fielding is far superior to baseball.

    Perhaps a separate thread is needed? Or is there one?

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    2,232
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Wasn't there a baseball player who had played at a decent standard who tried to do this recently and struggled massively at amateur level cricket?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandiasza View Post
    It's quite an interesting topic to explore. I'm convinced our fielding is far superior to baseball.

    Perhaps a separate thread is needed? Or is there one?
    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...et-vs-Baseball

    There is

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    2,119
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Op is simply talking about BASICS of a game and many folks making a hash of it. I would agree. The BASICS of bowling in cricket is tough vs dragging a soccer ball or throwing a baseball or lobbing a basketball. The OP is not talking about intricacy of different sports.


    Best of The Best : Tendulkar - Wasim - Gilchrist


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •