Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 62 of 62
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Birmingham, U.K.
    Runs
    170
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    “I was nineteen years old and not sixteen as they claim when I made my debut" : Shahid Afridi

    Shahid Afridi throughout his cricket career has been known as a force to reckon with. His recently launched biography, Game changer, was being called to bring about the unseen side of Afridi for his fans.

    And as the title suggests, the revelations made about Pakistan cricket, put forward the ups and downs of Shahid Afridi’s cricket carrier.

    Here are some excerpts from Shahid Afridi’s biography “Game Changer”. Shahid Afridi takes a dig at former Pakistani biggies revealing the account of many cricket campaigns.

    The first shock to receive is about Shahid Afridi’s correct age. As he reveals about his age stating, “I was just nineteen, and not sixteen as they claim. I was born in 1975. So, yes, the authorities stated my age incorrectly.”

    Afridi shares his views on the nightmarish ’03 World Cup campaign and in particular on the leadership of Waqar Younis. In his view, Pakistan lacked unity. There was a change in the chain of command and Waqar, the new man at the helm, was, unfortunately, a terrible captain.

    He couldn’t hold the team together. He couldn’t fight off the politics inside the dressing room. Afridi thinks Waqar himself was responsible for much of it. There was no leadership.

    Afridi contemplates that with Wasim Akram in the side, many players including Rashid Latif, Inzamam and Saeed Anwar were in favour of Wasim being the captain. This is because Waqar did not have control over the team, neither he inspired them.

    The younger team (Azhar Mahmood, Mohammad Sami, Saqlain and Afridi) who were looking for inspiration and had decided to keep out of the power politics that the seniors were involved in but wanted Wasim to lead. And then there was the Waqar group, which had Muhammad Yousuf and the likes, although they eventually crossed over to Wasim’s side.

    The problem, operationally, was a complicated one: Waqar was empowered, officially, but the team wasn’t responding to him. There was every reason to do well with the line-up that we had. The team had a fairly large coaching unit as well. The infighting in the team had reached a crescendo since the captain’s hat was the real crown in 2003.

    Consequently, there was a war between the Wasim and Waqar. Both Wasim and Waqar were fighting hard for the throne. Most of the team wanted Wasim to be the captain and he did lead them for a while.

    But then the chairman of the PCB, Lt Gen. Tauqir Zia, sided with Waqar – there was too much politics involved. It proved to be a really bad decision. The fact that Waqar was not captain material reflected clearly in Pakistan’s dismal performance on the field.

    Shahid Afridi also talks about PM Imran Khan in the Game Changer saying that he never got personal with any player, he actually didn’t like too many who played under him. He is running his cabinet in the same way he used to take his team up to.

    Afridi recalls the famous 1999 tour of India, in particular, the “lows” of the tour, which relates to Pakistan dressing room. He said that everyone in the team knew that Javed Miandad (coach) didn’t want him in the side. The tussle had started even before the series kicked off.

    Javed Miandad didn’t give Afridi batting practice ahead of his first test match. The book declares that the legendary Pakistani Cricketer Javed Miandad is a great player but a small man.

    On his animosity with Aamir Sohail, the biography says Aamir Sohail was the first teammate to bond with Afridi on arrival at Nairobi in 1996. Afridi recalls a sad tale on the field, surrounding great innings. He was opening for Pakistan against India in the Sahara Cup at Toronto.

    Saeed Anwar didn’t last long, and he was joined in the middle by the captain, Aamer Sohail. Afridi started with a six on the first ball and followed it up with two or three fours.

    The crowd went crazy. As the Indian bowler went to his captain to get some advice, Aamir approached him halfway on the track, for it looked like he wanted to discuss something. As soon as Aamir came near enough, he cussed at Afridi and said: ‘I know you’ve fixed this match with Wasim Akram. I know what you’re up to, Afridi.’

    Afridi burst into tears in the middle of that pitch, with the game underway. But recovered quickly, went back to the crease, composed himself and tried to focus. He eventually succeeded by scoring a century. Later, when he returned to the dressing room,

    Aamir came up to him and said, ‘Stay on my side. Join me. I will connect you with the right people. I can help you run Pakistan cricket.’ Afridi just glared at him and walked away. Later, he told Wasim Akram and Inzimam about the incident.

    They told him to keep the episode to himself and handle the situation gracefully and silently (Aamer was the captain, after all). Afridi wasn’t sure where his insecurity came from, although he has a rough idea: it’s about fame, or the lack of it, particularly in his case.

    Shahid Afridi, as his fans call him boom boom Afridi for hitting sixes, picking wickets, taking catches on the field has managed to do the same with his biography? There is a lot more to read, grab yourself a copy to find out.

    https://www.oyeyeah.com/news/excerpt...-game-changer/
    Last edited by MenInG; 2nd May 2019 at 20:58.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why is it so common for Pakistanis to lie about their age?

  3. #3
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    14,465
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It was an open secret that he was 2-3 years older than his cricket age however I didn’t think it would be a 5 year difference.

    To be honest, he was always one of fittest players in the LOI Pak side so this revelation makes that all the more impressive as he was very fit well well into his late 30s.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That means he was 32 years old when he played that famous 0(1) in the T20 final 2007.

    Even at 32 there was no maturity.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    14,465
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Why is it so common for Pakistanis to lie about their age?
    It makes things easier at under 16s and under 18s level.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    It makes things easier at under 16s and under 18s level.
    But that's cheating, what the hell is the point of Under 18 and 16 if the players playing aren't Under 16 or Under 18.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    14,867
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Its not a surprise to anyone- every man and their dog knew that he was much older and 5 years sounds about right. Its the reason why when our fast bowlers are 28 they are past their best because their real age is 31/32.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Its not a surprise to anyone- every man and their dog knew that he was much older and 5 years sounds about right. Its the reason why when our fast bowlers are 28 they are past their best because their real age is 31/32.
    That explains Junaid Khan.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    32,246
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He doesn't look 43-44 at all. He needs to tell us the secret for looking younger than his official age

  10. #10
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    He doesn't look 43-44 at all. He needs to tell us the secret for looking younger than his official age
    Sometimes it's just how some people are, there is no secret.

    Although regular exercise is good.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    14,867
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    He doesn't look 43-44 at all. He needs to tell us the secret for looking younger than his official age
    If you feel young, then you look young. This always works, so next week i am celebrating my 21st again for 25th time.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    3,096
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    That means he was 32 years old when he played that famous 0(1) in the T20 final 2007.

    Even at 32 there was no maturity.
    He was 34 when he won Pakistan the Wt20 2009.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    He was 34 when he won Pakistan the Wt20 2009.
    Don't know why he never batted at number 3 after that.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    10,890
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Why is it so common for Pakistanis to lie about their age?
    Was really common in 90s but in the last few years with all sorts of tests for players and more organized systems things have improved a bit.

    Baby faces of Shaheen Shah, Hasnain do tell a story of improvement in terms of age of players.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    32,246
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Sometimes it's just how some people are, there is no secret.

    Although regular exercise is good.
    Diet, Excercise and leading a stress free life must help big time. But i know that Afridi is a massive foodie

  16. #16
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    9,932
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His math is great at always... he was
    Born in 75 and yet he was only 19 when he made his debut in 96?!!!

    Hahaha

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    5,494
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait what Shahid isn’t youngsta beauty...?

  18. #18
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    14,465
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Diet, Excercise and leading a stress free life must help big time. But i know that Afridi is a massive foodie
    Having good hair helps the most. You rarely see a full on ganjaa (or big time receding) bloke in his late 20s, or 30s and think “wow he looks young”.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    826
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should rewrite the history books - When Afridi scored that century off 37 balls, he was touted to have been the youngest to score a century; till date he features in the list of youngest centurians. All that was a big eyewash.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    12,587
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dhoni should learn from players like Afridi, Misbah and continue representing India in ODI's as long as he is fit to play.

    Also I would rather have a combo of Kohli+Dhoni in LOIs than Kohli alone.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,941
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Dhoni should learn from players like Afridi, Misbah and continue representing India in ODI's as long as he is fit to play.

    Also I would rather have a combo of Kohli+Dhoni in LOIs than Kohli alone.
    Our Kaptaan is like a troubled child, very destructive in absence of a authority figure.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    2,886
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Why is it so common for Pakistanis to lie about their age?
    He says the authorities didn't report his age correctly.

    And what stopped Afridi from saying, 'er...I was born in 1975' at any point in the last 20 years?

    Overall, can't wait to sink my teeth into the book - much as I find Afridi an epitome of all that is wrong in Pakistan cricket. He is a legitimate cop out.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    4,650
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, what? I can't believe we're talking about his age and not about the incident with Aamir Sohail! Aamir thought Wasim and Afridi fixed the match and then we won, lmao what a loser!


    Have the players going forward, just need coaching&professionalism! #1 priority: fielding

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    11,296
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing new.

    Even Younus was born in 1975. Used to be common in Pak.

    Hasan Raza was probably 4 years older as well.


    "You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    72,569
    Mentioned
    1624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The first shock to receive is about Shahid Afridi’s correct age. As he reveals about his age stating, “I was just nineteen, and not sixteen as they claim. I was born in 1975. So, yes, the authorities stated my age incorrectly.”
    Debut was in 1996 so he was therefore 21 when he made his debut.



  26. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    108,511
    Mentioned
    1974 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  27. #27
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why did it take so long for him to reveal this

  28. #28
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    Nothing new.

    Even Younus was born in 1975. Used to be common in Pak.

    Hasan Raza was probably 4 years older as well.
    In the 2015 World Cup we essentially had three 40 year olds in the squad.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    72,569
    Mentioned
    1624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    So if Shahid Afridi was born in 1975:

    He made his Pakistan debut at the age of 21
    He made his Test debut at the age of 23
    He retired from international cricket at the age of 43
    He played his last ODI at the age of 40
    At the moment he is 44



  30. #30
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    2,072
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like only Misbah Told his true age and Everyone hated him for being old (although he was fit and performing). While others lied about their ages and were given ample chances because of their Age.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    2,072
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Why did it take so long for him to reveal this
    You Remember how Ian Chappel Ended Misbah's Career by saying on TV, that he is too old to be playing.

    Ian Chappell's exact words "The man's 42 – give somebody who you think has got a bit of a future in the game"

  32. #32
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    3,414
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    His math is great at always... he was
    Born in 75 and yet he was only 19 when he made his debut in 96?!!!

    Hahaha
    Lol did no one proofread the book?

  33. #33
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    903
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So was he 19 or 21 then 🤨

  34. #34
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    81,690
    Mentioned
    5989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    It is common knowledge that both Afridi and Younis were born in 1975.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    2,094
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Obviously he was not 16 but i didn't think he would be 21. Thought he was 19...

  36. #36
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    826
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Aamir doesnt seem to be 27, looks around 30-31 years TBH. All players (current or prospective) should be made to undergo ageing tests & all the dishonest ones should be weeded out - you cant be seen milking the system like Afridi did.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    2,609
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Having good hair helps the most. You rarely see a full on ganjaa (or big time receding) bloke in his late 20s, or 30s and think “wow he looks young”.
    When balding guys go completely bald they tend to look younger. Comb overs to hide receding hairline are worst.

    Afridi was touted as handsome guy, his whole brand image was based on his looks. He endorsed hair product brands. He religiously took care of his skin and hair for last 23 years. Looks go a long way in climbing up career ladder, studies have shown attractive people earn more. Not so good looking Afridi would have been dropped from the team. He was a male fashion model playing for Pakistan.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    3,253
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Its one of those rare occasions when I feel glad that Pakistan does not have a reading culture. The little I have seen on social media, one can't be faulted into thinking that this book is full of cringe worthy anecdotes.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    848
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does not know 1996-1975=21. Second this cheating is very harmful for under19 world cups.Most western countries are victims here.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    1,512
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible how he can still field well at this age


  41. #41
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    5,296
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the authorities are to blame, whilst he never tried to rectify the misunderstanding until he could make a few extra bucks by peddling a few paragraphs of sensationalism amongst a sea of mediocrity, much like his career.

    I feel sorry for him, whatever his age is.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    32
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any online book store I can get a copy from???

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    4,988
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Seems like an interesting read

  44. #44
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    1,512
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afridi got a t20 century when he was 42
    LEgenD

  45. #45
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    2,085
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does the mean the records will change now?

  46. #46
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,941
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadaja View Post
    He does not know 1996-1975=21. Second this cheating is very harmful for under19 world cups.Most western countries are victims here.
    No. Real victims are the those age fudging countries themselves. They are loosing out on real prodigies due to cheaters. U19's wins have no real impact senior teams.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    848
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    No. Real victims are the those age fudging countries themselves. They are loosing out on real prodigies due to cheaters. U19's wins have no real impact senior teams.
    Why should under19s have impact on senior teams. By playing older player you are cheating the teams who are playing by the rules.Who cares if prodigies in their own countries are being denied the chances.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    108,511
    Mentioned
    1974 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    So, Shahid Afridi played five Under-19 Tests in 1995 and 1996 when, apparently, he was ineligible to do so.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  49. #49
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,941
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadaja View Post
    Why should under19s have impact on senior teams. By playing older player you are cheating the teams who are playing by the rules.Who cares if prodigies in their own countries are being denied the chances.
    U19 WC is extremely short term and pointless success. If countries want to sacrifice talent to win it then let them.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    6,328
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tera Gawaandi View Post
    When balding guys go completely bald they tend to look younger. Comb overs to hide receding hairline are worst.

    Afridi was touted as handsome guy, his whole brand image was based on his looks. He endorsed hair product brands. He religiously took care of his skin and hair for last 23 years. Looks go a long way in climbing up career ladder, studies have shown attractive people earn more. Not so good looking Afridi would have been dropped from the team. He was a male fashion model playing for Pakistan.
    Spot on. With all due respect to Rahat Ali, if Afridi looked like Rahat Ali he wouldn't have end up having an unbelievable following.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    848
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    U19 WC is extremely short term and pointless success. If countries want to sacrifice talent to win it then let them.
    It maybe pointless for you, it is not pointless to players who are playing them. Players fudging their age from Asian countries are making it unfair to other teams.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,941
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadaja View Post
    It maybe pointless for you, it is not pointless to players who are playing them. Players fudging their age from Asian countries are making it unfair to other teams.
    Talent identification and development is the main goal of age group cricket.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    848
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Talent identification and development is the main goal of age group cricket.
    We are talking about under 19 world cup.it is about giving under19 kids a chance to shine.Not everyone will make it to senior teams.When countries start playing older kids they are cheating other teams, it is very simple point , you are complicating it.

    Talent indentication for senior teams has got nothing to do with under19 world cup.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    108,511
    Mentioned
    1974 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  55. #55
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    3,941
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

    We appreciate the honesty Lala.


  56. #56
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    24,047
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tera Gawaandi View Post
    When balding guys go completely bald they tend to look younger. Comb overs to hide receding hairline are worst.

    Afridi was touted as handsome guy, his whole brand image was based on his looks. He endorsed hair product brands. He religiously took care of his skin and hair for last 23 years. Looks go a long way in climbing up career ladder, studies have shown attractive people earn more. Not so good looking Afridi would have been dropped from the team. He was a male fashion model playing for Pakistan.
    Hey haven’t seen you in a while bro.

    Hope you’re doing well

  57. #57
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    24,047
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadaja View Post
    It maybe pointless for you, it is not pointless to players who are playing them. Players fudging their age from Asian countries are making it unfair to other teams.
    Afridi didn’t play under 19.

    Also since 2006 players are wrist tested so can’t fudge anymore

  58. #58
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    108,511
    Mentioned
    1974 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Sikandar Bakht (compere) asked "Lala apart from the 1975 part, is all else true in the book?" Afridi :"Yes and if there is a mistake its from him, (pointing at Wajahat K)"


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  59. #59
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    108,511
    Mentioned
    1974 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi claimed that he was unaware of his real age when he appeared for national under-14 trials and it led to all the “mess” and “misunderstanding” on the issue.

    Afridi, known for his power-hitting, has revealed that he was actually 19 years old (21, going by his autobiography ‘Game Changer’) when he produced a 37-ball 100 in Nairobi in 1996-97 and not 16 as has been recorded officially.

    Afridi said he has no regrets of talking about his age in his just-released autobiography and also clarified that the first edition carried wrong year of his birth.

    “The reason for my age being messed up in the records is that when I first appeared for the under-14 trials I myself really did not know my exact age. So, when the selectors asked me about my age and details I said what others told me to do. That age was officially recorded in the cricket board records and thus the misunderstanding,” Afridi told a Pakistani TV channel.

    “I have no regrets because the record for scoring the fastest one-day hundred was mine since 1996 regardless of what my age was recorded,” he said on the channel.

    The former skipper, whose book has caused quite a stir, said he was born in a village in Mardan where there was no practice of recording date of birth or having official birth certificate.

    “When my family moved to Karachi, I just knew the date and month of my birth and not the exact year that is why my age was erroneously recorded in the under-14 trials.”

    Afridi made it clear that he had clarified the year of his birth as 1977 and not 1975 as published in his book.

    “It was a mistake by the publishers and copy editors. In the second edition of the book, the correction has been made,” he said.

    He also admitted some factual errors had appeared in the book which would be corrected in the second edition.

    He also spoke about the comments he made about Indian batsman, Gautam Gambhir in the book that led to a war of words between them on twitter.

    “I just want to say when we had that fight in the match it was a mistake by both of us. We realised that later. I have nothing personal against Gambhir. In fact, I have some good friends in the Indian team and I get along with them well off the field. Even if I meet Gambhir somewhere, I will greet him normally as I have nothing in my heart against him.”

    Afridi made it clear he had enjoyed the most playing his cricket in India.

    “I have enjoyed each and every tour of India because of the love and affection I and other Pakistani players have got always there. I admire Indian cricket because of the way the sport is run there and how the money they earn is invested back into the game and players.

    “I still believe that cricket is one way to reduce tensions between the two countries and we should have regular bilateral matches. Because when we tour each other’s countries there will be more people to people contact and misunderstandings will be lessened.”

    He recalled how in 2004 when the Indian team toured Pakistan, Pakistani people had shown respect, love and hospitality to all the Indian players, officials, people and government dignitaries who came to watch the matches.

    “It was a fantastic atmosphere and I believe we must do it again. Pakistan and Indian people love their players and want to see bilateral matches.”

    He also made it clear that Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Mahendra Singh Dhoni were among his favourite players but he could include only Kohli in his all-time World Cup team because he could only pick 12 players.

    “Sachin and Dhoni are greats and they have achieved a lot for Indian cricket. I picked Kohli because he just looks so majestic and beautiful to watch while batting.”

    He also clarified his comments about some Pakistani former greats in his book.

    “There is no doubt in my mind that I have lot of respect for Javed (Miandad) bhai, Waqar Younis and others always. The incidents I have narrated in my book is about what happened on and off. But it does not mean I don’t respect them or try to belittle their achievements for Pakistan cricket. Overall, I always respected my seniors and it remains that way,” he said.

    https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...nfusion-841878


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  60. #60
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    5,412
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This guy is hilarious

  61. #61
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    1,468
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi claimed that he was unaware of his real age when he appeared for national under-14 trials and it led to all the “mess” and “misunderstanding” on the issue.

    Afridi, known for his power-hitting, has revealed that he was actually 19 years old (21, going by his autobiography ‘Game Changer’) when he produced a 37-ball 100 in Nairobi in 1996-97 and not 16 as has been recorded officially.

    Afridi said he has no regrets of talking about his age in his just-released autobiography and also clarified that the first edition carried wrong year of his birth.

    “The reason for my age being messed up in the records is that when I first appeared for the under-14 trials I myself really did not know my exact age. So, when the selectors asked me about my age and details I said what others told me to do. That age was officially recorded in the cricket board records and thus the misunderstanding,” Afridi told a Pakistani TV channel.

    “I have no regrets because the record for scoring the fastest one-day hundred was mine since 1996 regardless of what my age was recorded,” he said on the channel.

    The former skipper, whose book has caused quite a stir, said he was born in a village in Mardan where there was no practice of recording date of birth or having official birth certificate.

    “When my family moved to Karachi, I just knew the date and month of my birth and not the exact year that is why my age was erroneously recorded in the under-14 trials.”

    Afridi made it clear that he had clarified the year of his birth as 1977 and not 1975 as published in his book.

    “It was a mistake by the publishers and copy editors. In the second edition of the book, the correction has been made,” he said.

    He also admitted some factual errors had appeared in the book which would be corrected in the second edition.

    He also spoke about the comments he made about Indian batsman, Gautam Gambhir in the book that led to a war of words between them on twitter.

    “I just want to say when we had that fight in the match it was a mistake by both of us. We realised that later. I have nothing personal against Gambhir. In fact, I have some good friends in the Indian team and I get along with them well off the field. Even if I meet Gambhir somewhere, I will greet him normally as I have nothing in my heart against him.”

    Afridi made it clear he had enjoyed the most playing his cricket in India.

    “I have enjoyed each and every tour of India because of the love and affection I and other Pakistani players have got always there. I admire Indian cricket because of the way the sport is run there and how the money they earn is invested back into the game and players.

    “I still believe that cricket is one way to reduce tensions between the two countries and we should have regular bilateral matches. Because when we tour each other’s countries there will be more people to people contact and misunderstandings will be lessened.”

    He recalled how in 2004 when the Indian team toured Pakistan, Pakistani people had shown respect, love and hospitality to all the Indian players, officials, people and government dignitaries who came to watch the matches.

    “It was a fantastic atmosphere and I believe we must do it again. Pakistan and Indian people love their players and want to see bilateral matches.”

    He also made it clear that Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Mahendra Singh Dhoni were among his favourite players but he could include only Kohli in his all-time World Cup team because he could only pick 12 players.

    “Sachin and Dhoni are greats and they have achieved a lot for Indian cricket. I picked Kohli because he just looks so majestic and beautiful to watch while batting.”

    He also clarified his comments about some Pakistani former greats in his book.

    “There is no doubt in my mind that I have lot of respect for Javed (Miandad) bhai, Waqar Younis and others always. The incidents I have narrated in my book is about what happened on and off. But it does not mean I don’t respect them or try to belittle their achievements for Pakistan cricket. Overall, I always respected my seniors and it remains that way,” he said.

    https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...nfusion-841878
    He is now backtracking after all the criticism he got.
    But still there is no way we can know his correct age.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    11,039
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So all the "youngest" records associated with him will go out of the window? lol He didn't have to confess. I'll give him that. Otherwise it is shameful that it took long for him to come out and say it.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •