Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memories of Majid Khan

As Majid Khan turns 74 today, I thought I would start a thread on this wonderful batsman.

Those who remember the golden days of Pakistan cricket will remember Majid Khan as one of the finest players of both pace and spin in world cricket. The amount of time Majid seemed to have at the crease was simply remarkable. Quick hands and light on his feet, he could get himself into excellent positions to play the very fastest bowlers.

The batting line up that Pakistan took to the West Indies in 1977-78 was the best in our history. In the first Test, Pakistan lined up with Majid Khan, Sadiq Mohammad, Haroon Rasheed, Mushtaq Mohammad, Asif Iqbal, Wasim Raja and Imran Khan. All were world class players (with the exception of Haroon Rasheed, although he should not be underestimated. He was a very capable player who should have achieved more at the top level). You can see for yourselves how far we have fallen in recent years when it comes to producing quality cricketers. Since Majid's retirement I don't think we have had an opener who could play pace and spin with such confidence - the closest was Saeed Anwar, who was a fine batsman in his own respect but lacked the tenacity or determination of Majid.

Majid made 88 in the first inns of the First Test at Bridgetown before being bowled by Joel Garner. It remains, in my mind, one of the best innings ever played by a Pakistani opener away from home, in difficult conditions against bowlers of great quality and skill.

If Majid had played in the current era of big bats, flat pitches and average bowling attacks, he would have been scoring runs in his sleep!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loralai View Post
    As Majid Khan turns 74 today, I thought I would start a thread on this wonderful batsman.

Those who remember the golden days of Pakistan cricket will remember Majid Khan as one of the finest players of both pace and spin in world cricket. The amount of time Majid seemed to have at the crease was simply remarkable. Quick hands and light on his feet, he could get himself into excellent positions to play the very fastest bowlers.

The batting line up that Pakistan took to the West Indies in 1977-78 was the best in our history. In the first Test, Pakistan lined up with Majid Khan, Sadiq Mohammad, Haroon Rasheed, Mushtaq Mohammad, Asif Iqbal, Wasim Raja and Imran Khan. All were world class players (with the exception of Haroon Rasheed, although he should not be underestimated. He was a very capable player who should have achieved more at the top level). You can see for yourselves how far we have fallen in recent years when it comes to producing quality cricketers. Since Majid's retirement I don't think we have had an opener who could play pace and spin with such confidence - the closest was Saeed Anwar, who was a fine batsman in his own respect but lacked the tenacity or determination of Majid.

Majid made 88 in the first inns of the First Test at Bridgetown before being bowled by Joel Garner. It remains, in my mind, one of the best innings ever played by a Pakistani opener away from home, in difficult conditions against bowlers of great quality and skill.

If Majid had played in the current era of big bats, flat pitches and average bowling attacks, he would have been scoring runs in his sleep!
    Great tribute, wish I could have seen him like like you. That late 1970s Pakistan team is like an all-star cast, especially in the batting department, and Majid was arguably the most watchable batsman. His 167 in Guyana in 1977 to help save the Test after Pakistan conceded a 1st inns deficit of 254 must rank as one of the greatest rearguards in Pakistan history.

Pakistan were very unlucky not to have drawn that 1977 series in the Caribbean 2-2 but were robbed by home umpiring in Barbados as they were again eleven years later.

Majid Khan is still fondly remembered by Glamorgan fans as one of their greatest ever overseas players. He later went on to become of our better administrators, and it's a shame he hasn't been utilised in some capacity since.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Great tribute, wish I could have seen him like like you. That late 1970s Pakistan team is like an all-star cast, especially in the batting department, and Majid was arguably the most watchable batsman. His 167 in Guyana in 1977 to help save the Test after Pakistan conceded a 1st inns deficit of 254 must rank as one of the greatest rearguards in Pakistan history.

Pakistan were very unlucky not to have drawn that 1977 series in the Caribbean 2-2 but were robbed by home umpiring in Barbados as they were again eleven years later.

Majid Khan is still fondly remembered by Glamorgan fans as one of their greatest ever overseas players. He later went on to become of our better administrators, and it's a shame he hasn't been utilised in some capacity since.
    I was very lucky I got to see many fine Pakistani cricketers play live during the golden years of our cricket. Such was the strength of our batting in those days that there were many good players who did not even get the chance to play for Pakistan. It is a big contrast to what we are seeing now, where average players are playing 50+ Tests for Pakistan.

At the time we took these players for granted - we never imagined we would end up sinking so low. These are only memories now and there is a lot to be done if Pakistan is to be a respected sporting nation once more.

You're right - Pakistan were unlucky in that 1977 series. Injuries played a role too - Zaheer Abbas was injured and Haroon Rasheed came in. He played well in the warm up games in that series too. I think I still have the newspaper clippings somewhere that I collected as a young man.

The likes of Majid, as you point out, were also great ambassadors for Pakistan overseas. Unfortunately this tradition has been in decline for the past few decades - Pakistanis were not associated with controversies, and we were always well represented internationally. As Pakistanis we felt proud knowing likes of Majid were representing us.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    So much elegance - and a real gentleman cricketer. One Package.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter