Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakistan aren't just dark horses, they are firm favourites for the 2019 World Cup just like England

India is a very consistent side, but it's really dependent on 6 players, their batting is literally their top 3 and if they fail it seems pretty ordinary afterwards.

England are obviously favourites being a home team and the kind of explosive batting coupled with the depth they have. Bowling also seems to be pretty decent with Adil Rashid being a trump card in the middle overs.

Now let's have a look at Pakistan.
    Babar and Imam are reliable and they along with an in-form Fakhar would make for an excellent top 3.
    Sarfaraz should get his mojo back as a batter, he should play at 4 just like he did in 2016 ODI series in England, I think he is gonna make an impact at 4 this year.
    Although Malik has been ordinary in England throughout his career, but it just seems that this time he is going to be better equipped. His overall handling of pace bowling has improved slightly, and I believe a positive mindset might help him overcome his shortcomings this time.
    Hafeez is a decent no 6 and can be destructive on truer surfaces of England. He would obviously should preferred over U Akmal because he can chip in with a few overs, and provide control to the captain in the middle overs. Considering Shaddy's terrible form, middle overs are going to be difficult to control.

Faheem has just started to chip in with the bat, and his bowling has really blossomed, and I wouldn't hasitate in saying that he is amongst the best death bowlers in the world atm.
    Hasan's form before PSL was a concern, but he has been phenomenal in PSL, and might just be one of our gun bowlers.
    Young Shaheen is a gun bowler. MA
    Amir is reliable as a bowler, but he needs to proof his inclusion and should give his 100% in the WC
    Shadab's form is a concern, but he is the best we have got and hopefully he would be okay after getting some rest.
    Imad is okayish for English conditions, he is a darter and his batting seems to be decent on true surfaces of SENA.
    Umar Akmal will be our backup keeper as well as somebody who could come in, if the side doesn't seem to be dynamic in the first few games.
    Shan Masood will be our backup opener and if the ball starts swinging then he may bat at 3 to have some stability.
    One of JK, Abbas or Hasnain could be our 4th seamer.
    That's our 15 imo foakes!

Bowling Strategy.
    Amir and Shaheen should share the new ball, with the newbie searching for wickets, and Amir supporting him by giving nothing to the batters to hit. Faheem and Amir are great death bowlers Hasan and Shaheen shouldn't be bowling at the death, they are our enforcers and should be used in 3-4 overs bursts to get us wickets. One of Shaheen and hasan should always be operating from an end to keep the batters on their toes till the 35th over. Hafeez, Amir and Faheem should support our gun bowlers. Gun bowlers (Shaddy, Shaheen and Hasan) should be used like gun bowlers, no point of bowling them in the death. I guess 1-2 overs in the death would be enough from them. We have got a special bowling attack with so many enforcers and should make it count by using our resources properly.

Batting Strategy:
    Personally if the ball isn't swinging much, I would open with Azam and Fakhar and place Imam at 3. Babar can accelerate in PP in a safe manner and we would have a Left-hand right hand combo as well. It's pretty easy to assess that Babar's ability to play spin has regressed for the time being. Imam should be our accumulator, and should play for an anchor in most innings. Sarfaraz is going to be an enforcing accumulator for us at 4. His dot ball percentage is very low and his abilities should be maximized at 4. Hafeez, Malik and Umar Akmal are fighting for two spots, and I think with professor's batting, he is almost a certainty in our starting 11. So, it's between Umar Akmal depending on the conditions. The good thing with having Umar instead of Malik is that, we get a good hitter (considering those truer surfaces) and Shadab can also be used at 5 as an accumulator. At the moment with Malik at 5, Shaddy is pretty much being wasted at 7.
    Faheem, Hassan and Amir need to step up, and chip in with useful contributions down the order.

IA the cup is going to be ours.
    IA!

PS: The good thing about this WC is that I would be able to watch all of it, as my final semester would end by 26th May and would be relatively less busy. Currently, I am so busy with my FYP,research paper, recruitment drives and masters applications.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fielding:
    12th man Shan Masood
    Gun Fielder
    Shadab Khan
    Good Fielders:
    Imam, Malik, Hafeez, Fakhar, Babar, Faheem, U Akmal,
    Decent/okayish Fielders:
    Amir, Hasan,
    Imad and Shaheen (worst fielders in the side)

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OP: India depend upon 6 players.

Well what about Pakistan?

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stop Dreaming and putting extra pressure on the team. Let them play without any pressure and any expectations. You know why Sri Lanka won against South Africa or why Australia won against India was only because their fans didnt expect any thing from them.
    Last edited by todfod 11; 16th March 2019 at 13:01.

only fighters rise up from the dust..

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Play shehzad wahab in opening match and drop them from the next match perfect strategy to win the title especially shahzad

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse View Post
    Play shehzad wahab in opening match and drop them from the next match perfect strategy to win the title especially shahzad
    And also bring Umer Akmal and then declare him unfit

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ODI cricket is always unpredictable. We all would have rolled out laughing if anyone suggested after Pakistan's defeat against India in the CT during the group stages that Pakistan would go on to win the tournament. How predictable was that?

Having said that, being optimistic is always the better thing to do. But Pakistan is in no way favorites. While India has a good chance, even they aren't favorites. England are the favorites this time around.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fakhar's form is a question mark.
    Shadab's form is a question mark.
    Amir's form is a question mark.
    Sarfraz's form with the bat is a question mark.
    Malik's record in English conditions is a question mark.
    Who will play finisher's role is yet to be decided.
    lack of a proper all-rounder in the team.
    Imam & Babar are only 2 in form batsmans in the team. Despite being Pakistan's best batsman at the moment babar can't win you matches unless there is a low scoring game or someone other put pressure on the opposition.
    At the moment, the only good thing is that Imam is improving in each format with every passing day.

A team having so many loopholes / question marks cannot be termed as firm favorites for the World Cup.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadozai View Post
    Fakhar's form is a question mark.
    Shadab's form is a question mark.
    Amir's form is a question mark.
    Sarfraz's form with the bat is a question mark.
    Malik's record in English conditions is a question mark.
    Who will play finisher's role is yet to be decided.
    lack of a proper all-rounder in the team.
    Imam & Babar are only 2 in form batsmans in the team. Despite being Pakistan's best batsman at the moment babar can't win you matches unless there is a low scoring game or someone other put pressure on the opposition.
    At the moment, the only good thing is that Imam is improving in each format with every passing day.

A team having so many loopholes / question marks cannot be termed as firm favorites for the World Cup.
    Hafeez has not looked convincing either. Pakistan has a lot of loopholes. I doubt very highly that we will make to semis with this batting line up.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll find out in may whether they're or not (eng series).

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes a team that got whitewashed 5-0 in NZ, a team that got beat by a B team South Africa and a team that couldn't even make the Asia Cup Final is a favourite for a World Cup. I'll have some of what you're having please, OP.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Yes a team that got whitewashed 5-0 in NZ, a team that got beat by a B team South Africa and a team that couldn't even make the Asia Cup Final is a favourite for a World Cup. I'll have some of what you're having please, OP.
    Optimism

It isn't gonna swing in England (even last year there was a dry summer) so what happened in NZ isn't gonna happen.

We do struggle against spin but it won't spin that much either. In Asia cup we had no spin options (Shaddy was injured), and our spin bowlers are pretty much darters, so we weren't gonna make any impact there.

Secondly, that wasn't SA B, they had a lot of their main players playing that series. It was also a great learning curve for the likes of Faheem.

Conditions in England suit us, that's why we are favourites.

Just imagine these scenarios
    Faheem would be so easy to get out in UAE/Asia, but he would look pretty dangerous on the truer surfaces of England.
    Immad is not a hitter, but he can be effective on true surfaces.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say firm favorites but i never doubted Pakistan's ability to topple any team on a given day in a big pressure match.

IMO they are nowhere near the top 3 teams in the world but they can still go on to lift the trophy. I see them fighting for the last spot in the semis line up and from there on its all about which of the 4 teams performs under pressure on that given day.

I am putting India only slightly above Pakistan in my list in this world cup. Due to the complete ineptness of their middle order and bowling being bit hot and cold, India will also be fighting for 3rd/4th spot.

England, New Zealand at the moment seem to be the favorites to seal 1st and 2nd spot.

Aussies, Indians and Pakistanis will fight among themselves to grab the other two.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1020 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I like the optimism but not entirely factual post.

Sarfraz batted at 5 in the 2016 England ODI series where he averaged over 50.

Malik's handling of pace has improved based on what evidence ? Also, when has Faheem started to chip in with the bat ? His batting averages are appalling.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I appreciate OP for highlighting the strengths of Pakistan and I am also confident if Pak plays the easier matches well they will go through to the semis however, I wont say favorites as some other teams are in better shape.

Pak is lacking experience in its top 3, yes they are talented while middle order is pretty weak with Hafeez and Malik in the twilight of their careers and Sarfaraz who isnt some one who is gonna win a match for you regularly while chasing huge totals especially at the number which he plays. I would like him to play no 4, 5 but I dont think its gonna happen.

Umar Akmal's inclusion definitely adds much needed fire power in the middle order.

Bowling is definitely a big strength however form of Shadab is bit of a concern. With him in form Pak will definitely be one of the best attacks in the tournament.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And so PSL brainwashed us again.
    Just A month ago Pakistan team is humiliated by SA and now again we become favorites for WC.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afhan Ali View Post
    Just A month ago Pakistan team is humiliated by SA and now again we become favorites for WC.
    Wouldn't say losing 3-2 is humiliation but i get what you're trying to say.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean143 View Post
    Optimism

It isn't gonna swing in England (even last year there was a dry summer) so what happened in NZ isn't gonna happen.

We do struggle against spin but it won't spin that much either. In Asia cup we had no spin options (Shaddy was injured), and our spin bowlers are pretty much darters, so we weren't gonna make any impact there.

Secondly, that wasn't SA B, they had a lot of their main players playing that series. It was also a great learning curve for the likes of Faheem.

Conditions in England suit us, that's why we are favourites.

Just imagine these scenarios
    Faheem would be so easy to get out in UAE/Asia, but he would look pretty dangerous on the truer surfaces of England.
    Immad is not a hitter, but he can be effective on true surfaces.
    Shaddy wasn't injured my friend. He was in the squad.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better not to put any pressure on the team. Let them be underdogs and enjoy. That's the only way they can perform. Once you start expecting big things from them, they will collapse under pressure. England and India are the firm favorites to lift the trophy, any other team winning the cup would be a big upset.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait till the mood goes all negative sentiments pour in once we go back to the old-habits (formed during the matches vs NZ and SAF in 2018-19) against Aus and Eng in Mar & May .... The Amir, Shaheen, Sarfaraz, Babar, Imam, etc. bashing will start.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afhan Ali View Post
    Chill bro. You are new to PP.

There was a time when half PP were convinced that Umar Akmal is a better batsman than Kohli Yep.

Hota hai, chalta hai, Dunya hai

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We aren’t favourites lol. Our batting is very poor. Also we have issues in the spin bowling department. I am very surprised to see the optimism on PP and other cricketing forums for our World Cup chances.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We lost our latest series again SA and miserably performed in Asia cup. How are we favourites?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pakistan do not have a single player who can match any of Kohli, Sharma, Dhawan, Bumrah, and Kuldeep but somehow Pakistan are favorites but India are not.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Dont think so. The Asia Cup exposed where we really stand. We are a highly inconsistent team. But then again we don't know which Pakistan will turn up during the WC.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan always performs well in England. I expect them to do well again this time but to expect them to win the whole thing without a single world class batsman in the team is optimistic at best.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Dont think so. The Asia Cup exposed where we really stand. We are a highly inconsistent team. But then again we don't know which Pakistan will turn up during the WC.
    Conditions will be different.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Birmingham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get very vociferous support. I absolutely love the atmosphere that we generate in England.

There is enough time for the batsmen to get used to conditions. The bowlers should be fresh and well rested for the World Cup.

We will give it everything, favourites or not is irrelevant. England and India are favourites but anything can happen. A lot of teams have big weaknesses.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No we are not. Realistically making the semis would be a major success.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Exactly. Mark your last sentence.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    One thing i do guarantee tho, India is not going to win. Eventually the over dependence on the top 3, selection of a past it Dhoni and an untested middle to lower order is going to hurt India badly.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Pakistan “always” performs well in England because Champions Trophy 2013 was held on Mars.

Let’s face it - this Pakistan side is rubbish and flukes don’t happen all the time. Besides, the format of this World Cup does not suit us.

On the brighter side, I do think we have a chance to make the SF. England and India are two certainties, but you can expect one of Australia, South Africa and New Zealand to mess up, allowing Pakistan a window of opportunity to make it to the last four.

I highly doubt we will make it to the last four, and if we do, I expect us to be the fourth team with the group toppers England pasting us in the SF, returning the favor for the Champions Trophy where they were undone on a sluggish pitch.

Much like the 2015 World Cup where it almost seemed inevitable that Australia and New Zealand will play in the final, it is quite obvious that England and India will play the final this time.

They will be the the top two teams and hence they won’t meet in the SF.

People dismissing the Asia Cup because of the conditions are missing the point - regardless of the conditions, this team will lose to the likes of England, India, Australia, New Zealand etc. 8/10 times.

It just so happened that in the Champions Trophy, we caught South Africa, England and India on their off-days. If that happens in the World Cup again, yes we can win. However, these things don’t happen frequently.

All this talk of unpredictably and “you never know which Pakistan will turn up” is sensationalized hogwash anyway. Only in Pakistan is unpredictability romanticized.

We are unpredictable because we are inconsistent, and we are inconsistent because we are mediocre. There is nothing great about being mediocre, but somehow, we are happy that it has become our trademark.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Pakistan “always” performs well in England because Champions Trophy 2013 was held on Mars.

Let’s face it - this Pakistan side is rubbish and flukes don’t happen all the time. Besides, the format of this World Cup does not suit us.

On the brighter side, I do think we have a chance to make the SF. England and India are two certainties, but you can expect one of Australia, South Africa and New Zealand to mess up, allowing Pakistan a window of opportunity to make it to the last four.

I highly doubt we will make it to the last four, and if we do, I expect us to be the fourth team with the group toppers England pasting us in the SF, returning the favor for the Champions Trophy where they were undone on a sluggish pitch.

Much like the 2015 World Cup where it almost seemed inevitable that Australia and New Zealand will play in the final, it is quite obvious that England and India will play the final this time.

People dismissing the Asia Cup because of the conditions are missing the point - regardless of the conditions, this team will lose to the likes of England, India, Australia, New Zealand etc. 8/10 times.

It just so happened that in the Champions Trophy, we caught South Africa, England and India on their off-days. If that happens in the World Cup again, yes we can win. However, these things don’t happen frequently.

All this talk of unpredictably and “you never know which Pakistan will turn up” is sensationalized hogwash anyway. Only in Pakistan is unpredictability romanticized.

We are unpredictable because we are inconsistent, and we are inconsistent because we are mediocre. There is nothing great about being mediocre, but somehow, we are happy that it has become our trademark.
    The ball was swinging in CT'13, don't think it will this time around. Secondly, in Asia cup the ball was turning and our batters were unable to cope with it, while we had no spinner (Shadab was injured in one of the games and wasn't 100% fit in the rest).

Even if we are inconsistent and manage scores of 250, our bowling can defend them. I think we are gonna surprise teams through our impressive batting in CW'19.

The thing is that India's problem is that they are too reliant on the top 3, if they come up against a side like Pakistan, which will have that killer instinct in the form of 3 gun bowlers (shaheen, hasan and shadab), and no letup in the form of Faheem, Amir and Hafeez. The probability of top 3 doing well is pretty low, which exposes their middle order. Once we get into their middle order it's going to be relatively easier and their lack of batting depth will obviously create huge pressure on the top 3 in the tournament.

Teams likes Australia and Pakistan will get through their top 3 most of the times in the WC.
    The plan is simple you have to get the top three within 100 runs, even if the rr is as high as 8-9. It has worked in the recent series, and is probably gonna work in WC as well.

There might be bowling attacks like Srilanka,Afg and Ban, who might get thrashed from the Indian top 3 though.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does the ball NOT swing in England? It's a given.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The ball was swinging in CT'13, don't think it will this time around. Secondly, in Asia cup the ball was turning and our batters were unable to cope with it, while we had no spinner (Shadab was injured in one of the games and wasn't 100% fit in the rest).

Even if we are inconsistent and manage scores of 250, our bowling can defend them. I think we are gonna surprise teams through our impressive batting in CW'19.

The thing is that India's problem is that they are too reliant on the top 3, if they come up against a side like Pakistan, which will have that killer instinct in the form of 3 gun bowlers (shaheen, hasan and shadab), and no letup in the form of Faheem, Amir and Hafeez. The probability of top 3 doing well is pretty low, which exposes their middle order. Once we get into their middle order it's going to be relatively easier and their lack of batting depth will obviously create huge pressure on the top 3 in the tournament.

Teams likes Australia and Pakistan will get through their top 3 most of the times in the WC.
    The plan is simple you have to get the top three within 100 runs, even if the rr is as high as 8-9. It has worked in the recent series, and is probably gonna work in WC as well.

There might be bowling attacks like Srilanka,Afg and Ban, who might get thrashed from the Indian top 3 though.
    Since when did Shadab become a gun bowler with his 40+ bowling average against non minnows? The comparison with Indian team is laughable. The top 3 of Indian batting is stronger than the entire Pakistani batting line-up. Both Kuldeep and Chahal wipe the floor with Shadab. Shaheen is a nobody in front of Bumrah who is currently Asia’s best fast bowler. Hassan Ali is the only player comparable but last time the two teams met, he turned into a kitten.

India and England are the top two teams in ODIs and only a big upset will prevent a final between them. At best, Pakistan may qualify for the semifinals but expect a one-sided semifinal with either of England or India.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way are we favourites, and neither do we want it to be that way.

Pakistan is not a top ODI team for certain, but we can cause some major damage if our team hits form at the right time of the tournament.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    We have JAZBA.
    FYI name of the site is PAKPASSION.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    We are favorites because we won champions trophy 2017 and that is a more prestigious win since it has no minnows and only the best teams.

Even if we lose this time, I won’t be mad because we won the real tournament 2 years ago.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No we are not favourites. Australia, India and England in no particular order are better then us. I would put us on par with the South Africans. We can both win from nowhere or implode anytime as well. One minute Pak will be 200-2 then half an hour later 220-8.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with supporting your team. But I think Pakistan is actually one of the weaker teams. I'd be surprised if they make SF.

Their batting doesn't have the fire power to Keep posting big scores. Windies probably have just as much chance of winning the world cup.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    OP needs to be told its not 1st April yet

In such a long format consistancy of performance will be key espciallyy with the bat and our batting line up isnt good enough to consistantly put up big runs.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I get confused when I visit Pakpassion.

There is always one thread predicting death and doom of cricket and ominous failure looming for Pakistan cricket team in the World Cup.

And there is always another one, predicting we will lift the trophy in about a month's time and we are too good and strong in England.

If you were a complete neutral, you wouldn't know what to believe.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

Last 20 years of Pakistan in England white ball ICC Competitions:

1999 WC - Runners up
    2004 CT - Semis
    2009 WT20 - Champions
    2013 CT - Group Stage Exit
    2017 CT - Champions

Pakistan have reached semis in every tournament (barring 2013) over the last 20 years and I would expect a doctor with knowledge of the above to at least have a basic grasp of this statistical trend but you chose to conclude with the contrary. You can't deny that England is Pakistan's happy hunting ground! The only reason why Pakistan failed to reach the semis in 2013 was because Misbah was captain.

I do agree though Pakistan will struggle to make the last four, but they have more chance of making the cut here than anywhere else.
    Last edited by topspin; 20th March 2019 at 16:53.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post

1999 WC - Runners up
    2004 CT - Semis
    2009 WT20 - Champions
    2017 CT - Champions

Pakistan have reached semis in every tournament (barring 2013) over the last 20 years and I would expect a doctor with knowledge of the above to at least have a basic grasp of this statistical trend but you chose to conclude with the contrary. You can't deny that England is Pakistan's happy hunting ground! The only reason why Pakistan failed to reach the semis in 2013 was because Misbah was captain.

I do agree though Pakistan will struggle to make the last four, but they have more chance of making the cut here than anywhere else.
    Pakistan's record in ODIs in England since 2000 is 16-19. NZ, India, England, and Australia have a better record there.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...ults;type=team

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)

1999 WC - Runners up
    2004 CT - Semis
    2009 WT20 - Champions
    2017 CT - Champions

The 1999 World Cup was 20 years ago. What relevance does it have? Besides, our 90's team had plenty of players who had played a lot of county cricket and were thus well acquainted with the English conditions.

In the 2004 Champions Trophy, we faced Kenya, India and West Indies. Kenya was a walkover, and we were thumped by the eventual champions West Indies in the semifinal. Beating India was certainly a great result, but did it really have much to do with the fact that match was in England?

In 2004 and 2005, from the top of my head, Pakistan and India played 14 ODIs excluding this Champions Trophy match.

7 of these ODIs were in India (Platinum Jubilee match in 2004 + the 2005 series), 5 were in Pakistan (2004 series) and 1 was in Sri Lanka (2004 Asia Cup) and Netherlands (2004) each.

Pakistan won 9 of those 14 games. This tells us that during those two years, Pakistan simply had the wood over India in ODI cricket, and thus, the outcome of the 2004 Champions Trophy match was not a surprise and it had little do to with the venue.

Since the advent of T20 cricket in 2006-2007 until 2010-2011, Pakistan was among the strongest T20 teams in the world. We were one boundary away from winning the inaugural WT20 in South Africa and missed out on the final in the Caribbean in 2010 thanks to a freakish innings by Hussey when Australia were on the ropes.

Hence, the fact that we won in England in 2009 had little to do with the venue but more to do with the fact that we were a very good T20 side at that time.

Our squad for the 2013 Champions Trophy was awful. It wasn't just Misbah's captaincy.

The results since 1999 simply shows that if you have a good team, you have a good chance of making the knockouts and if you don't have a good team, the chances are low. In fact, this trend can be witnessed in general terms as well. It is not specific to England.

We can go as far back as we like, but let's start from the 1996 World Cup. Our team was strong for Asian conditions, and it took another strong Asian team to knock us out in the quarterfinals.

In 2003, our team was on its last legs and we were eliminated in the group stage. In 2007, our squad was awful and were eliminated in the group stage again.

In 2011, we had a strong team for those conditions and it took the eventual champions and favourites to knock us out in the semifinals. In 2015, another weak squad that faltered in the first hurdle after the group stage.

We can observe this trend in T20s as well. We have failed to make the knockouts in the last two editions because we have simply been not good enough.

When you look at the bigger picture, there is nothing special about our record in England and neither is it very surprising with the exception of the 2017 Champions Trophy obviously. We can take a lot of heart and inspiration from that tournament because this is the same squad, but we triumphed in bizarre circumstances and everything went our way.

If lightning strikes twice we can win the World Cup, but that is not because England is some magical place for us where everything comes together at the right time. That has only happened once.

I find it very desperate to see our fans attempt to seek inspiration from past tournaments in England that have no relevance today. This team is not going to do well because of what happened 10 or 20 years ago. If we are to seek inspiration from the 1999 World Cup, the West Indies may as well count themselves favourites because they have won two World Cups and 1 Champions Trophy in England.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I am reading, Mamoon has a bet on India to win the World Cup.

The reality is that almost all the top 8 are favorites to win this World Cup, and this is mainly due to the format.

The round robin format suits Pakistan, plus the 5 ODI series vs. England will help prepare for the World Cup!

I predict Pakistan and England final.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post

The reality is that almost all the top 8 are favorites to win this World Cup, and this is mainly due to the format.

The round robin format suits Pakistan, plus the 5 ODI series vs. England will help prepare for the World Cup!

For me, England and India are the two joint favourites and I expect them to meet in the final, which could be anyone's game.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Former South African captain AB de Villiers has named Pakistan, India, South Africa and Australia as favourites to win the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup in England and Wales.

De Villiers led South Africa in the 2015 edition of the world championship and the side reached the semi-final stage before getting eliminated by co-host New Zealand in a closely fought contest. The side also made it to the final-four stage in 2007 and 1999.

“India and England are looking strong, Australia have won five World Cups in the past and Pakistan claimed the Champions Trophy in the UK two years ago. Those four teams are probably the favourites,” the batsman said.

He believes that the Proteas have a chance, like it did at any other World Cup as it is “a world-class team with plenty of match-winners”.

De Villiers said that Indian skipper Virat Kohli’s performance has been incredible and he doesn’t see it stopping very soon.

“However, he is human after all and, like any other cricketer, he will go through patches from time to time where he has to go back to the basics and work his way through it again. I believe it’s his personality and mental strength that gets him through those moments and makes him the best ODI player in the world at the moment,” he said.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how people are naming pakistan as one of the favourites. Likely due to the PSL.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post

I wanna see a pak vs eng final 1992 repeat. That would be sick

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On what basis are Pakistan favorites?

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    IOK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hafeez should make way for Harris Sohail because he can also bowl left arm spin and is a very good player of pace bowling.....Hafeez Don't good fit please and Harris be fit...

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

1999 WC - Runners up
    2004 CT - Semis
    2009 WT20 - Champions
    2017 CT - Champions

Results from more than 10 years ago do not mean anything. Most of the teams are far stronger than what they used to be back then. Australia is an exception but a full strength Aussie team is still far stronger than Pakistan. From non-minnows, only SL is below Pakistan. Both Bangladesh and WI are capable of beating Pakistan comprehensively on their day as we have seen in the Asia cup and last world cup.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan will be extremely lucky if they qualify for the semi-final because we are not good enough to compete against all big boys.
    Because we have only 2 good batsmen in the form of Imam and Babar ( Imam is good for our standards but certainly not close to Rohit, Warner, Guptill, Roy, Gayle, De kick etc and Babar is mostly failed under pressure) and Our middle order is too weak to compete in a mega event ( Malik looks like a tailender against Good fast bowlers, Sarfraz is specialist keeper, Hafeez is still injured, Akmal and Asif are not good enough to win us crunch matches)
    Our lower Order is one of the worst in the world with Imad Wasim, Faheem, and Shadab ( Faheem and Shadab is just not good enough batters they tailenders)
    Now let's come to the bowling
    Shaheen is very good wickets taking bowler, Amir just bowls defensively line and length, Hasan is leaking too many runs at international level, Shadab bowling is not good enough against top teams with 35+ average and he always leaks runs by bowling too many short bowls.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My semi picks:

England
    WI
    Australia
    SA

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. They are not. Anyone who believes this is in for a shock.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar2020 View Post
    My semi picks:

England
    WI
    Australia
    SA
    Wi?
    Lol.
    U need to be consistent for this WC. Wi are anything but

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a_tahir View Post
    Wi?
    Lol.
    U need to be consistent for this WC. Wi are anything but
    Gayle
    Evin Lewis
    Shai Hope
    Hetmyer
    Andre Russell
    Holder
    Braithwaite

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar2020 View Post
    Gayle
    Evin Lewis
    Shai Hope
    Hetmyer
    Andre Russell
    Holder
    Braithwaite
    No doubt they have explosive players but they are inconsistent. Barring Hope, there is no real accumulator- all are hitters. This strategy won't work against better bowling lineups.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With that batting line up, I don't think so. Top 5 are all shaky batsmen who cannot accelerate an inning to save their life. Plus the bowlers we have now are not the choke/attack types of Afridis and Ajmals, these guys can get punished by a good opposition, especially at the death. I'm not too optimistic about this world cup simply due to fact that our batting is still probably the worst amongst the leading contenders.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    West Indies might surprise the people who think they are no good.

England would definitely be there.

That leaves two places and NZ, Pakistan, Australia, India to fight it out along with South Africa as outside chance.

My opinion is WI, England, India as 3.

Then its a tossup between Australia, Pakistan, NZ and considering Pakistan is kind of weak, I wouldn't be surprised if the 4th team is Australia.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Birmingham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We owe WI after 2015. Key opening game for us

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    unfortunately i dont think we'll do that much in this tournament..we are a good tournament team so this new format may suit us..but looking at the asia cup I cant see us doing much..can you really see Malik and co hitting big runs in the uk??

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    we are rank outsiders..not favourites..if we get to the semi's it will be a massive achievement...

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The Australian series should give a good reality check on where the team stands.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some of our fans will never learn. I told yall months ago not to write off Australia.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some Pak fans needs to open their eyes and accept the reality. Until we have the likes of Sarfraz, Imam, Rizwan type players we can't come close to winning an ODI series let alone a tournament. Flukes do not happen every day.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    we are rank outsiders..not favourites..if we get to the semi's it will be a massive achievement...
    But why? Why are we in this state despite spending 4 years in transition?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Don't worry after our IPL finishes we will be hot favorites to win the World Cup too.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    The Australian series should give a good reality check on where the team stands.
    I wasn't expecting much from this bowling attack in the UAE against Australia.

The WC is not in UAE

With our complete side it's going to be different in WC

PS: I voted for clean sweep in favour of AUS in this series. So please don't say this is an eye opener.

There are going to be some players who are going to completely change the potency of this attack.
    if you look closely the penetrative nature of this attack has been compromised, with Hasan, Shaheen and Shadab resting.
    In Fakhar and Babar, we don't have only/two of our stroke makers.

But this series doesn't really matter much, WC performance is what is actually going to be remembered by the fans.

Shan looked good today, he ticked a lot of boxes.
    Harris played a good knock, but carrying him would be like carrying extra baggage, when you already have plenty of accumulators in the form of Babar, Imam, Sarfaraz, you don't need too many accumulators
    when you are playing in Eng these days, Shan could be the backup opener, and can even bat at three if there comes a need of an extra accumulator.

Umar was also a good, will be useful in Eng.

Faheem looked terrible, but should be given as much time with the bat in the middle. People need to realize that the WC is in ENG, and he would be a useful batter lower down the order there.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The WC is not in UAE

PS: I voted for clean sweep in favour of AUS in this series. So please don't say this is an eye opener.

There are going to be some players who are going to completely change the potency of this attack.
    if you look closely the penetrative nature of this attack has been compromised, with Hasan, Shaheen and Shadab resting.

But this series doesn't really matter much, WC performance is what is actually going to be remembered by the fans.

Harris played a good knock, but carrying him would be like carrying extra baggage, when you already have plenty of accumulators in the form of Babar, Imam, Sarfaraz, you don't need too many accumulators
    when you are playing in Eng these days, Shan could be the backup opener, and can even bat at three if there comes a need of an extra accumulator.

Faheem looked terrible, but should be given as much time with the bat in the middle. People need to realize that the WC is in ENG, and he would be a useful batter lower down the order there.
    Fakhar, Babar, and the rest have played outside UAE too and Pakistan still lost 5-0 to NZ and 3-2 to SA B. Playing in the UAE is not an excuse anymore. This team is just not good enough to compete with top teams.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakhar, Babar, and the rest have played outside UAE too and Pakistan still lost 5-0 to NZ and 3-2 to SA B. Playing in the UAE is not an excuse anymore. This team is just not good enough to compete with top teams.
    Lost in NZ cuz of because the ball swinging a lot there, it won't swing that much in England.

That wasn't SA B, you are gonna see the same 11 (with 2-3 changes) play in the WC for them.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lost in NZ cuz of because the ball swinging a lot there, it won't swing that much in England.

That wasn't SA B, you are gonna see the same 11 (with 2-3 changes) play in the WC for them.
    If you exclude CT, these are their last overseas series. Any more excuses?

Australia 1-4
    England 1-4
    SA 2-3
    NZ 0-5

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you exclude CT, these are their last overseas series. Any more excuses?

Australia 1-4
    England 1-4
    SA 2-3
    NZ 0-5
    The first two were like 2-3 years ago so can't use them.

The nz one hurts though

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a_tahir View Post
    The first two were like 2-3 years ago so can't use them.

The nz one hurts though
    Yes, and CT was played last month that it has been consistently used to show that Pakistan can compete in England.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The optimism people have is unreal. Pak doesn't have one thing to prove they're the favorites. Got whitewashed by Aus, thrashed inAsia Cup twice by India and once by Bangladesh, barely won against Afgh. Lost 3-2 to SA. But somehow people think Pak is the favorite for the WC19.
    Not one player in our team who has the guts. All of them are minnow bashers excluding Babar. Imad is a gutsy player and has scored quick runs. Our Klusener Ashraf is an embarrasment. Shaheen Afirid bats better than this guy.

Sehwag and Steyn are the Best.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The WC is not in UAE

Pretty sure he has gotten enough chances. People need to accept that he is just a mediocre bowler who somehow is seen as an allrounder. We could be playing a specialist bowler in his place because Faheem isn't doing anything with the bat.

Sehwag and Steyn are the Best.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Birmingham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    unfortunately i dont think we'll do that much in this tournament..we are a good tournament team so this new format may suit us..but looking at the asia cup I cant see us doing much..can you really see Malik and co hitting big runs in the uk??
    Malik will be dropped if he doesn’t score. We will be forced to put our best in form players in....and the pitches will encourage reverse as the World Cup goes on.

Should be exciting.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and CT was played last month that it has been consistently used to show that Pakistan can compete in England.
    Maybe coz the CT was an ICC tournament vs multiple teams not only one specific team. The wc is not being played in Sa, nz or aus so those should not be counted as much.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasim_Waqar View Post
    Malik will be dropped if he doesn’t score. We will be forced to put our best in form players in....and the pitches will encourage reverse as the World Cup goes on.

Should be exciting.
    Malik has "contacts" according to some PPers so he isn't getting dropped.