Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Every country should have a death penalty

Some crimes are so heinous that their punishment should be only death. For example this guy who committed mass murder of innocents at a religious place in New Zealand. It feels stupid that you don't give these guys a death penalty and instead keep them alive in jail and tax payers bear the living expenses of those guys.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely agree. Not just a death penalty, but a public spectacle so that everyone can see what happens to murderers. In the case of the NZ murderer, I would feed him to a pack of lions and live stream it for the world to see. An alternative would be to use the person, while alive, for medical research and experimentation. At least some good might come of them in that way.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1729 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Every country should have death penalty for mass murderers, child molesters and rapists.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Absolutely agree. Not just a death penalty, but a public spectacle so that everyone can see what happens to murderers. In the case of the NZ murderer, I would feed him to a pack of lions and live stream it for the world to see. An alternative would be to use the person, while alive, for medical research and experimentation. At least some good might come of them in that way.
    These punishments would be barbaric and sadistic, actions that would be worthy of the killer himself. That’s the moral conundrum with the death penalty.

I would add, with regards to the cost, that in the US their Death Row inmates spend an average of 15 years in prison anyway, and sometimes much longer. NZ being an equally famed county of “tolerant western values”, that average of 15 years would potentially be even longer.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    These punishments would be barbaric and sadistic, actions that would be worthy of the killer himself. That’s the moral conundrum with the death penalty.

I would add, with regards to the cost, that in the US their Death Row inmates spend an average of 15 years in prison anyway, and sometimes much longer. NZ being an equally famed county of “tolerant western values”, that average of 15 years would potentially be even longer.
    I am not sure that putting someone to death for mass murder is the same thing as the mass murder itself. The fact that it is savage is the whole point - it is meant to serve as a deterrent. I think it would be a more effective deterrent than a comfortable prison stint at tax payer's expense.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The theory behind the death penalty is deterrence.

However stats prove that the death penalty does not act as a deterrent. Criminals will continue to kill and smuggle drugs. USA and SA are prime examples.

Saying this, in the developed world, criminals can escape the death penalty based on evidence; unlike in some parts of the world where talking a cow for a walk results in instant death.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am against the death penalty. You can make a case that life in prison is worse than death. I personally would choose death over being locked in a cell for the rest of my life.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Its too easy for them. I'd lock them up in a small cell for the rest of their miserable lives.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1729 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    I am against the death penalty. You can make a case that life in prison is worse than death. I personally would choose death over being locked in a cell for the rest of my life.
    In most countries life imprisonment means 14-20 years in jail and then you are out, possibly sooner based on good behaviour.

You think a person who molested children will not go back to his evil ways after being released?

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    In most countries life imprisonment means 14-20 years in jail and then you are out, possibly sooner based on good behaviour.

You think a person who molested children will not go back to his evil ways after being released?
    If they think think they could get away with it, I'm sure many would. However you can create laws to protect children. For example in America, we have the sex offender list, where they have to register in some cases for the rest of their life. Once they are on the list they cant live near a school, they need to update their home and work address with the police every year, their neighbors usually find out. I think that's a big enough punishment, along with the prison time.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should people who destroy family's childhoods and lives be able to live and have a comfortable room watch TV read magazines work out in gym get 3 meals a day at the expense of tax payer. These people should be executed ASAP anyone thinking otherwise is stupid with this so called forward human rights crap.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can death by torture by an option? Lock up monsters like these in a small with a rabid dog.

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Some crimes are so heinous that their punishment should be only death. For example this guy who committed mass murder of innocents at a religious place in New Zealand. It feels stupid that you don't give these guys a death penalty and instead keep them alive in jail and tax payers bear the living expenses of those guys.
    That would mean that justice is based on revenge not mercy and rehabilitation, where the state is as much a murderer as the terrorist.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    To give them some reason to change their behaviour.

But in the U.K. every murder carries a whole-life tariff. The offender may be bailed but will be returned to jail thereafter for the slightest offence.

Yes, sometimes. Some such offenders are recidivist and others are reformed.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    That would mean that justice is based on revenge not mercy and rehabilitation, where the state is as much a murderer as the terrorist.
    On the flip side of the argument what would 'justice' be in this particular case? The dead cant be brought back to life and the families destroyed cant be reunited. Maybe the loved ones of the victims feel that only death penalty would be justice in this case?

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mass killers should be punished every day until they die. Getting the death penalty is the easy way out.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely support death penalty, not because of justice served or deterrence or anything but more because, I don't want my tax money going to subsidize certain things.

If someone is evil enough to orchestrate flying planes into a building, raping/killing women or children, mass murdering innocents in a place of worship ... do we want our hard earned tax dollars going to subsidize their meals+cable tv+comfy life? Heck no!

Plus, posts above raise a good point. Alternative to death penalty is life without parole, which is effectively enforced in the US and the bad guy/gal never gets out. But in many countries "life sentence" is only 14-20 years. If the crime is bad enough then even minors will be tried as adults in the US, which is how it should be. Think about that 16/17 year old main perp in the 2012 Delhi gang rape ... does he deserve to live? Sadly he is enjoying life and freedom now thanks to India trying him as a minor and letting him go scot free.

So many loopholes in the system without death penalty. I would say a non-barbaric mode of death penalty followed by mandatory donation of organs and mandatory use of the body for medical research is an optimal solution.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

Why you are ok with wasting tax payers money for 15 years?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin Chacha View Post
    On the flip side of the argument what would 'justice' be in this particular case? The dead cant be brought back to life and the families destroyed cant be reunited. Maybe the loved ones of the victims feel that only death penalty would be justice in this case?
    And then the family of the killer is bereaved too. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it's not enough.

The white christian terrorist who murdered people in the mosque deserves more than a death penalty. Being a Muslim the death penalty would simply be a ticket to his real punishment. Only God can give justice and he will.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    And then the family of the killer is bereaved too. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
    The problem I have with this point of view is that justice is not only about deterrence but also about compensating the aggrieved party for its loss. In cases of corruption or financial irregularities, in addition to punishing the accused, the most important aspect of justice is the recovery of the financial losses suffered by the victims or the society in general. If someone steals something from me, the first requirement of justice is not that he be punished but that my stolen property be returned to me. Debates about capital punishment however often reduce justice to exclusively to deterrence or rehabilitation and ignore this aspect. If the only way that the victims can be compensated for their loss is by awarding death penalty to a murderer, then so be it.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind but forgiving the person who blinded me should be my voluntary decision and not something the legal system forces me to do.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin Chacha View Post
    The problem I have with this point of view is that justice is not only about deterrence but also about compensating the aggrieved party for its loss. In cases of corruption or financial irregularities, in addition to punishing the accused, the most important aspect of justice is the recovery of the financial losses suffered by the victims or the society in general. If someone steals something from me, the first requirement of justice is not that he be punished but that my stolen property be returned to me. Debates about capital punishment however often reduce justice to exclusively to deterrence or rehabilitation and ignore this aspect. If the only way that the victims can be compensated for their loss is by awarding death penalty to a murderer, then so be it.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind but forgiving the person who blinded me should be my voluntary decision and not something the legal system forces me to do.
    That’s mixing statute law (punishment by the state) with common law (compensation of a party who is owed a tort by another). That’s the British system, so it will be the NZ system too.

As for forgiveness see that poor bereaved man who has already forgiven the shooter in NZ and wants to embrace him. Forgiveness takes away the other’s power over you. That man is a saint!