User Tag List

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Should PCB invest in Gwadar cricket stadium?

Gwadar has a five star hotel. It is a fast growing city. If PCB invest in developing a cricket stadium in Gwadar with the capacity to host 30-45K fans it can prove to be a good long term investment.

Additionally, Gwadar is a city that is in the process of development. It has a very small population, so it will not be much of a logistical nightmare for the PCB if, in future, it decides to hold PSL or international matches in Balochistan.

Lets be real. The security situation in Quetta is not going to improve in the immediate future, even if it seems that we are on the right track. The Gladiators, on the other hand, need a home venue. It is already a shame that 2-3 of the best sides in PSL don't have home venues that are suitable enough to host high level cricket. So there is that.

The obvious question is if it make sense to develop a stadium in a city that has a very sparse population (for now). My answer is yes. What do you guys think? Should the PCB invest in Gwadar cricket stadium?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Pakistan will never have the ideal state of security that westerners desire. However what the Pakistani security forces have proven is that they can provide 100% security to foreigners regardless of the state of security and that is very important. Have to host a PSL game in Quetta, the fans of Quetta Gladiators deserve it.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1873 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Yes.

Itís the one and only town in Pakistan that can be made safe for international cricket.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Pakistan will never have the ideal state of security that westerners desire. However what the Pakistani security forces have proven is that they can provide 100% security to foreigners regardless of the state of security and that is very important. Have to host a PSL game in Quetta, the fans of Quetta Gladiators deserve it.
    I get that. But there are still major concerns around the security situation in Quetta. I agree that Quetta deserve home games. The reason why Gladiators exist is because it represents all of Balochistan.
    From my point of view, all eyes in Pakistan are now on Gwadar. Building a stadium of high capacity adds well into citiy's character and creates an overall novelty factor. It signifies the cultural development as well. If the city develops robustly, it will be considered a good early investment.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    I get that. But there are still major concerns around the security situation in Quetta. I agree that Quetta deserve home games. The reason why Gladiators exist is because it represents all of Balochistan.
    From my point of view, all eyes in Pakistan are now on Gwadar. Building a stadium of high capacity adds well into citiy's character and creates an overall novelty factor. It signifies the cultural development as well. If the city develops robustly, it will be considered a good early investment.
    It's Quetta Gladiators not Balochistan Gladiators. Gwadar should eventually get it's own team followed by other bigger cities in that province.

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gwadar will take 10+ years to become a hot market for cricket. We don't even know if the locals there have any interest in the sport. Focus should be to bring cricket to all major cities in Pakistan, if that can be done in the next 2-3 years I would consider it a job well done.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should invest more in Baluchistan as a whole. Where are the stadiums in Quetta and even Islamabad?

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    It's Quetta Gladiators not Balochistan Gladiators. Gwadar should eventually get it's own team followed by other bigger cities in that province.
    First of all, having Quetta on its own in PSL does not make any business sense. It was created to include ALL of Balochistan into the mainstream of cricket. I'm not disagreeing that Quetta shouldn't get games in Quetta. I'm saying that it will take a LOT of time to bring the security levels at par with Lahore, Islamabad or even Karachi.
    Similarly, a separate team for Gwadar wouldn't make any business sense either (at least for the next 10-15 years). But building a stadium in Gwadar will PCB a good alternative at hosting International cricket as well as PSL.
    An early purchase of land and subsiquent development of Stadium means that they will have the whole thing cheaper in retrospect.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjahmed23 View Post
    Gwadar will take 10+ years to become a hot market for cricket. We don't even know if the locals there have any interest in the sport. Focus should be to bring cricket to all major cities in Pakistan, if that can be done in the next 2-3 years I would consider it a job well done.
    Gwadar, if it goes through proper developmental phase, will have workers from all over Pakistan. Since cricket is the most popular sport across Pakistan fans will flock to the stadium if they ever get a chance to observe PSL or International cricket.
    It shouldn't stop PCB from bringing cricket to all major cities in Pakistan in the interim.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    If China allows, sure.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Definitely,why not? It's among fastest growing Cities in PAK, it has a airport (not sure if International), there is Pearl Continental hotel and it's probably among the safest Cities in PAK. Gate money hardly matters these days but still I am sure in the remote corner of the country, there'll be massive interest among locals. I read somewhere, Gwadar's GDP is also highest in B'tan among highest in PAK - it should be a full house there.

Gwadar was my choice for 6th franchise, and PSL could have got some Chinese money in that route, still PCB can get sponsorship from China if games are played there.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would love to see cricket in Balochistan.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Not really Gawadar is developing pretty quickly and will be the capital in a few years.
    Man you haven't seen Arbab Niaz stadium (first of all it's in an area which is pretty dangerous), secondly it's current situation is pretty bad.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    If China allows, sure.
    Tumna koi anokha hei comment dana hota hai...you just can't stop yourself.

To the OP, it's just not feasible at this moment for the PCB to invest in a stadium in Gwadar, maybe 10-15 years from today.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment, maybe not a good idea due to sparse population of the city, however, in other smaller cities (but still with a decent sized cricket loving population), especially in Balochistan, stadiums should be built and also training facilities should be built.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Before the attacks which led to Pakistan not hosting International teams anymore.

I always thought of the possibility of a stadium being developed in Murree, or Northern areas of Pakistan.

Though access to these locations is not ideal but the possibility of teams playing in different kind of conditions during the same season would be legit amazing.