User Tag List

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is locking down the entire city necessary to hold a cricket match?

I was watching the news, and a normal citizen commuting to work was already two hours late for work midway through traffic. He was saying the authorities were not cooperating and was asking the PSL organisers to reimburse his salary for the day.

He was visibly annoyed and said every normal citizen faces issues getting to work due to the matches and the tight security lock down.

For sure, we have to be careful now and have adequate security but it's not necessary to stop regular citizens from getting to work.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    I was watching the news, and a normal citizen commuting to work was already two hours late for work midway through traffic. He was saying the authorities were not cooperating and was asking the PSL organisers to reimburse his salary for the day.

He was visibly annoyed and said every normal citizen faces issues getting to work due to the matches and the tight security lock down.

For sure, we have to be careful now and have adequate security but it's not necessary to stop regular citizens from getting to work.
    Authorities have to find a way around it. Sadly after what happened in 2009, no compromises on security can ever be made again. Vast majority of people are in favor of the PSL and International Cricket taking place in Pakistan again so the people of Pakistan will have to cooperate and find other alternative means.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intelligent stuff from Pakistan. Stop people from getting to work and providing taxes and economic activity. For a bloody pensioner cricket league. Oh god what a sorry state of affairs.

How can you say Pakistan is safe when they tour they have more military personnel on hand than in the USA - Vietnam war? Literally no other country goes into lockdown to host a game of cricket.

Certainly no country would go into lock down to the point people can circulate and get too work.

Only way Pakistan is safe is if they have an underground linking the stadium to designated hotels in each city. Alongside separate underground tunnels for the fans who’d pass security a mile away from the stadium and then take the train into the stadium with no worry of strong and long security checks.

No one can come through gates only designated underground entrances. Costly I know but only way I’m afraid.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1805 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Its ok happens once a year and is a path to recovery. We closed down airspace recently for national reasons, cricket is also important for many reasons.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    BANGLORE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    as an indian i may not have much weight on my views but one thing i can request my neighbors to please be patient for that one incident pakistan cricket is still suffering it has already been 10 years .
    one single man or shall i say monster is enough to end the cricket in pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thread should be removed for spreading navigability.

Not the entire city has been locked down. Only surrounding area of the stadium is locked down. People are coming to stadium through shuttle service.

Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also there are alternative routes announced by the traffic police. Traffic problem is because of people who are not following the rules.

Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Who said the entire city is locked down? Only roads around NSK are closed, and that too only on match days. For a night game, they usually close the roads at around 3pm. There's alternative routes that are open. It's true that traffic on these routes can get hectic but people can work around that by leaving a little earlier.

Yesterday the QG team was practising at NSK yet all the roads were completely open.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketDon View Post
    Intelligent stuff from Pakistan. Stop people from getting to work and providing taxes and economic activity. For a bloody pensioner cricket league. Oh god what a sorry state of affairs.

How can you say Pakistan is safe when they tour they have more military personnel on hand than in the USA - Vietnam war? Literally no other country goes into lockdown to host a game of cricket.

Certainly no country would go into lock down to the point people can circulate and get too work.

Only way Pakistan is safe is if they have an underground linking the stadium to designated hotels in each city. Alongside separate underground tunnels for the fans who’d pass security a mile away from the stadium and then take the train into the stadium with no worry of strong and long security checks.

No one can come through gates only designated underground entrances. Costly I know but only way I’m afraid.
    Lol, talk about a hyperbole.

I'll take a wild guess that you've never been to Karachi or Pakistan for that matter.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and every ATM should be located 1 mile underground where a squadron of security officers takes the bank client to and fro the location in an armoured convoy.

Dude, only surrounding areas of the stadium have tight security. Anyway, Karachi has always had a traffic issue which is a matter for another day.

Glad to hear you're a veteran of the US-Vietnam War and are able to tell us how many troops were used.

And finally, on what basis are you calling it a Pensioner Super League?

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    who said the entire city is locked down? only the surroundings of stadium are locked down. stop spreading lies/rumors. during the office closure/opening hours, traffic jam is a norm in karachi, however, it is true that during PSL matches traffic jam is little bit more than usual & authorities need to address this aspect in future but the situation is not as it is mention in op

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner Up View Post

Not the entire city has been locked down. Only surrounding area of the stadium is locked down. People are coming to stadium through shuttle service.
    Yup, and the security 'experts' force us too, in reality a nothing can get through a bomb-proof bus.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire city has been locked down??
    That's news to me.And i live here.
    Cool story bro.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is the main conflict of having PSL or international matches in Pakistan. You have to provide presidential security and then say than say that Pakistan is safe. The whole event contradicts the notion of safety.

Thing is, Pakistan is not safe and this is something we people have to bare.

For our politicians, its much easier to provide presidential security for an event, than to fix the law and order of the country.

If there was law and order in this country, such lock downs wouldn't be needed.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    901 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadozai View Post
    who said the entire city is locked down? only the surroundings of stadium are locked down. stop spreading lies/rumors. during the office closure/opening hours, traffic jam is a norm in karachi, however, it is true that during PSL matches traffic jam is little bit more than usual & authorities need to address this aspect in future but the situation is not as it is mention in op
    Exactly just spreading lies and rumours

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    This is the main conflict of having PSL or international matches in Pakistan. You have to provide presidential security and then say than say that Pakistan is safe. The whole event contradicts the notion of safety.

For our politicians, its much easier to provide presidential security for an event, than to fix the law and order of the country.

Pakistan is as safe as most other countries - we are trying to move forward and these comments don’t help!

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All games are played in evening hours keeping in mind not to disturb the working hours, you have to show some patience , nothing comes without a price and this is a small price for a big purchase. Watch soccer if you don;t like cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done on providing your valuable insight on a country you clearly have no idea about.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live 5 minutes away from the stadium and haven't faced any issue traveling to and away from my home with the help of alternative routes. There's just a bit more traffic, but that's it, really. A reasonable price to pay for getting to host international stars imo.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    poor thread

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What is the traffic situation like in India during IPL season?

Spreading the PSL to all the other cities in Pakistan will help ease the problem rather than putting too much load on one city

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    901 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinJay View Post
    I live 5 minutes away from the stadium and haven't faced any issue traveling to and away from my home with the help of alternative routes. There's just a bit more traffic, but that's it, really. A reasonable price to pay for getting to host international stars imo.
    Yup as soon as we'll have all the games in Pakistan this little bit of issue is gonna resolve as well. Poor thread

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if he is actually from Karachi and knows what's going instead of assuming through the news.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my city roads are not blocked but traffic gets hell for half an hour before and after the match.
    Traffic lights adjecent to the stadium are managed manually and main roads get lot more green time.
    It gets bad but not any worse then other event city hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post

Spreading the PSL to all the other cities in Pakistan will help ease the problem rather than putting too much load on one city

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Disinformation? Karachi is too big a city to be locked down

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Non issue, traffic jam is normal in Karachi.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL locking down the entire city that's impossible

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Bound to be some upheaval.

Even in the UK when there are big matches being played, there are issues with the roads, parking, traffice etc.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner Up View Post

1+
    This thread is a pure rubbish . Some people just can not appreciate good work . It is not necessary to look for the negative aspect in every thing.Look what happened in NZ , one of the most peaceful countries in world . We can not afford another 2009 like incident .To hold psl is necessary as it gives an opportunity to general public to enjoy ,to vent out their frustration that might have easily translated in some negativity . Traffic on the other hand , is already a big problem in all big cities of Pakistan irrespective of the fact psl happens or not .Reham kr du bhaiyo Pakistanio pe.
    Last edited by Godhelpma; 18th March 2019 at 00:50.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickCrick View Post
    Pakistan is as safe as most other countries - we are trying to move forward and these comments don’t help!
    ahh no its not a safe country and its a fact.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan-Italia-Deutschland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    ahh no its not a safe country and its a fact.
    Perhaps, just an opinion of yours not a fact

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    Perhaps, just an opinion of yours not a fact
    it is a fact, no matter how you put it.

Just recently a guy by the name of Afzal Kohistani was gunned down.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post

There is a lot of security in India also. Maybe not at the level Pakistan is having to arrange but you will see paramilitary forces everywhere as you enter the stadium.

Traffic wise, it would vary from city to city but i wouldn’t say it’s a huge hassle. I guess since there’s not been any disruption the organisers are now quite experienced at handling this.

In Delhi metro rail connectivity is quite good. They have to make special arrangements at metro stations to handle additional commuters during cricket matches.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family have told me that everything went smoothly and hardly any disruption in the city..

They loved having the PSL there...

The truth doesn’t sit well for the corrupt individuals who lerk here and often come out with rubbish

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, this thread was based on a clip on ARY news on a man saying his two hour shifts late for work because of the tight PSL security. He was angry and asking the PCB to pay him his days salary. He mentioned that a lot of people are facing difficult commuting to and from work due to the PSL security arrangements.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    Sorry guys, this thread was based on a clip on ARY news on a man saying his two hour shifts late for work because of the tight PSL security. He was angry and asking the PCB to pay him his days salary. He mentioned that a lot of people are facing difficult commuting to and from work due to the PSL security arrangements.
    Can't please each and everyone in the country.

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference between principal and being practical. Given the history that Pakistan went through over the last 10 years, no one would tour Pakistan without the security, even if Pakistan is safe. By doing this over and over, Pakistan will improve the perception and cricket will gradually return to Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is a fact, no matter how you put it.

Just recently a guy by the name of Afzal Kohistani was gunned down.

The security situation is judged by statistics, not on individual incidents. Statistically Pakistan is as safe now as it was when teams regularly toured Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the Pakistanis start working in the evening? Pathetic stuff. Pakistan is a nation with victim's mentality

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    This thread is over the top but again Pakistan need to come up with a strategy to wriggle out of providing presidential level security for every international/PSL game. If this becomes a norm, how will they convince teams to tour without it? What if the players/teams stop coming if the same level of security is not offered to them every time they come to Pakistan? That is what PCB/Pakistan need to worry about. Having these security measures for a cricket match every time will cost lots of money, you can't keep doing it if it becomes a norm. It is fine now as the number of games in Pakistan is low.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    This thread is over the top but again Pakistan need to come up with a strategy to wriggle out of providing presidential level security for every international/PSL game. If this becomes a norm, how will they convince teams to tour without it? What if the players/teams stop coming if the same level of security is not offered to them every time they come to Pakistan? That is what PCB/Pakistan need to worry about. Having these security measures for a cricket match every time will cost lots of money, you can't keep doing it if it becomes a norm. It is fine now as the number of games in Pakistan is low.
    This is the cost of doing business. I am pretty sure the PCB and the country of Pakistan and its economy is making way than the cost of providing this security. Given what happened in 2009 and the fact we have a religious extremism, secretarianism problem, terrorism problem in our society, with the US still in Afghanistan and India's continous fetish to want to hurt Pakistan at every level, we cannot get complacent again.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsan17 View Post
    The security situation is judged by statistics, not on individual incidents. Statistically Pakistan is as safe now as it was when teams regularly toured Pakistan.
    what?

stats dont show the reality.

Actually living in the area tells whether its safe or not

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The entire city wasn't locked down. At least get the main part correct.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I see the Negativity brigade have raised their ugly head again.

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what?

stats dont show the reality.

Actually living in the area tells whether its safe or not
    Stats show unfettered reality. But lets go on your point for a second. You say you feel Pakistan is unsafe now. My relatives and friend for the most party say it is safe now, and compared to before it is a lot safer. Who should I believe?