Should Umar Akmal never be picked for Pakistan again?

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Umar Akmal never be picked for Pakistan again?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he should never be picked again

47 71.21%
  • No, he deserves a chance in future

19 28.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Should Umar Akmal never be picked for Pakistan again?

So the knives are out for young Umar, again.

A lot of self inflicted stuff but many feel that he is being unfairly targeted

Question now, based upon his track record of on & off the field is...

Should he never play for Pakistan again?
    Last edited by MenInG; 2nd April 2019 at 14:58.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    On condition that:

Ben Stokes
    Steve Smith
    Dave Warner
    Quinton De Kock

.....are never picked again by the opposition.

As a foreign wellwisher of Pakistan cricket, Iím heartily sick of you disabling your own team with stupid arbitrary bans.

For goodness sake, Mohammad Asif was cleared by the ICC to play international cricket 3 years and 6 months ago, in which time you have selected the likes of Sohail Khan and Imran Khan instead.

Itís a complete joke.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He should not be picked for now as he is the same old as he was when he was dropped , he needs to score heavily in domestics to be recalled. There is a high chance though that this will never happen ,by the way he made his debut almost 10 years ago. Is he still young? He is almost 29. He may still have 6 7 years of cricket in him , he can play around the world in t20 leagues.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The selectors should ask him to score a 1000 runs in quaide azam trophy to be picked again for the team.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    The selectors should ask him to score a 1000 runs in quaide azam trophy to be picked again for the team.
    Is that a bigger achievement than being Man of the Match in the QEA Final?

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I am curious.

What spark did you see in him over the 5 match Australian series?

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Score twice in 16 innings? Not enough.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, perhaps. As don’t forget bilawal Bhatti took a 8-for and was man of the match in the QEA final. Umar Akmal has not done anything spectacular. In fact, he had a very average PSL too. Did nothing in the crunch games.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    I am curious.

What spark did you see in him over the 5 match Australian series?
    I saw the foundations of the only Pakistan batsman capable of surviving against top bowling and counter-attacking and terrifying the opposition.

But hidden inside an overweight and unfit body.

But a body which could be trained hard and intensively for 8 weeks to lose about 8-10 Kg, leaving a fitter, stronger player with good stamina.

I know that Hafeez canít survive against top bowling and that Malik and Babar and Haris canít accelerate against good bowling.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw the foundations of the only Pakistan batsman capable of surviving against top bowling and counter-attacking and terrifying the opposition.

But a body which could be trained hard and intensively for 8 weeks to lose about 8-10 Kg, leaving a fitter, stronger player with good stamina.

I know that Hafeez can’t survive against top bowling and that Malik and Babar and Haris can’t accelerate against good bowling.
    Really ?

So which innings gave you that confidence?

I've seen 5 of them so far, and if you want me to dissect them for you, I am willing to do that, but I'd rather you list the innings, that gave you such unfounded confidence as a person taking Abilify and going on a streak of compulsive gambling.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As much as I hate to say I think his 50 over days are over which is a massive shame as he showed some of his great strokeplay but unfortunately he cannot construct an innings of substance.

Nevertheless thereís no reason why he should not be picked for t20s.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Just get rid off him.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really ?
    I
    So which innings gave you that confidence?

I've seen 5 of them so far, and if you want me to dissect them for you, I am willing to do that, but I'd rather you list the innings, that gave you such unfounded confidence as a person taking Abilify and going on a streak of compulsive gambling.
    Donít try and attempt to understand the reason behind this. The poster is defending him wildly with no rationale.

The truth is, Akmal is hiding behind his poor attitude, fitness and discipline which gives the misconception that he is an amazing batsman not reaching his potential. The truth is, his technique is pretty bad (he leans on his bat so much) and now heís getting older, his hand eye coordination and reflexes alone are not enough to make him a decent batsman.

We had to put up with his brother for well over a decade and he played hundreds of matches for Pakistan with a 25 run average all because he had this aura of Ďdynamicí and Ďaggressiveí.

I hope we finally realise that Umar is the same trash and should never play international cricket again.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Gully batsman..how we ever gave him more than a handful of opportunities I'll never know..

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Form is temporary but class is permanent.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Where was he when it mattered against Australia? This is Micky mouse tournament

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would but never for white ball again.

He can be a good Test player if he only has to focus on that except being in circumstances where has to hoick to mid wicket.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How can one be stopped from playing for Pakistan again on something so little?

If he performs like today throughout this tournament, he should go to the WC.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal speaking to the press today

"First of all I want to thank the Almighty, I dont want to remember the past and am proceeding game to game"

"My job is to perform and as far as the selection for the World Cup is concerned, that is the job of selectors, coaches and captain; I will do my utmost to perform well in the remaining games and play an important role in help my team win"

"Like the Head Coach had told me to finish games and be a good player for Pakistan, I applied that advice here today and the Almighty made me successful"

"I would like to thank our batting coach Grant Flower for the work he put with me in the UAE, also Head Coach for his work on me as well"

"This is our top 50-over domestic tournament and all performances in this are never wasted"

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Umar Akmal speaking to the press today

"First of all I want to thank the Almighty, I dont want to remember the past and am proceeding game to game"

"My job is to perform and as far as the selection for the World Cup is concerned, that is the job of selectors, coaches and captain; I will do my utmost to perform well in the remaining games and play an important role in help my team win"

"Like the Head Coach had told me to finish games and be a good player for Pakistan, I applied that advice here today and the Almighty made me successful"

"I would like to thank our batting coach Grant Flower for the work he put with me in the UAE, also Head Coach for his work on me as well"

"This is our top 50-over domestic tournament and all performances in this are never wasted"
    Why did he not apply that advice to the 5 ODIís he played?

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah an being a brain far-t is a long term life lllness. When it really mattered against Aus every time at a crucial stage he threw away his wicket the same way in every match. Now in a losers tournament he thinks heís kohli

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    Donít try and attempt to understand the reason behind this. The poster is defending him wildly with no rationale.

The truth is, Akmal is hiding behind his poor attitude, fitness and discipline which gives the misconception that he is an amazing batsman not reaching his potential. The truth is, his technique is pretty bad (he leans on his bat so much) and now heís getting older, his hand eye coordination and reflexes alone are not enough to make him a decent batsman.

We had to put up with his brother for well over a decade and he played hundreds of matches for Pakistan with a 25 run average all because he had this aura of Ďdynamicí and Ďaggressiveí.

I hope we finally realise that Umar is the same trash and should never play international cricket again.
    Perfectly said. He is trash just because he plays Ďdynamic cricketí People act like heís the best thing going

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he performs he should be selected.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The selection and subsequent dropping of Umar Akmal suggests more about the system and lack of coherent selection strategy than it does about Umar Akmal. Umar Akmal is what he is. In an era where Pakistan is not producing any world class batsman, Akmal remains the one truly talented prospective world class batsman. We forget now, but some of the innings Umar played early in his career were truly World Class. This is particularly true for Test Cricket.

Where did it go wrong?

You have to blame the system. Captains, Coaches, Selectors, and the Board never understood Umar's talent. When he struggled they immediately pigeonholed him as a shorter-format cricketer who would add power down the order. You don't do that to a developing player. Some of Umar's best innings came batting with Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan. As we know, the powers that be couldn't wait to kick Yousuf out of the Pakistan Setup not giving any thought to how important players like him and Abdul Razzaq were to developing younger players. The system and the lack of coherent strategy failed him.

Umar also failed himself. He is an uber-talented cricketer who enjoys the lifestyle of being a cricketer than actually working on his craft and becoming a truly great player. I have witnessed Umar on tour. Lets just say, he likes to enjoy himself. Now many people will say that we shouldn't forensically analyze the habits and lifestyle of cricketers. That they should be given freedom. I don't necessarily disagree with that notion, but in Umar's case it seems that his lifestyle is preventing him from becoming the best version of himself. It is certainly impacting his fitness.

Fitness: The Akmal brothers at least Kamran and Umar are big boned individuals. They often look more out of shape than they actually are. That said, Umar is certainly out of shape. This IMO is a collective as much as is it an individual failure. Anyone who watches the Pakistan Team knows that there isn't a standardized fitness policy. Players are removed on fitness grounds based on issues other than fitness. Umar is less fit now than the last time he played for Pakistan. Why was he selected? What was his department, the board, and Umar's handlers doing with him in the interim period?

Form

Umar was selected for the Australia Series based on his performances in the PSL. Lets not forget, he was excellent in the PSL setting up and finishing matches. If he did the same against Australia and broke curfew would he have been punished for his indiscretion. Or would it have been kept quiet and handled internally? I presume the latter. He would also be going to the World Cup despite having excess fat on his body.

Unfortunately, all of this is an indictment on selection. There are no standards. There are no red lines. Poor Discipline will be tolerated and hidden as long as you perform. Fitness doesn't matter if you perform. If you score in a few matches to display Form, you automatically become a good player. BEWARE of FORM. It is the worst measuring stick for how good a player is.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

I know that Hafeez can’t survive against top bowling and that Malik and Babar and Haris can’t accelerate against good bowling.
    You legend

The Mancunians never disappoint when it comes to having a laugh

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He himself has no desire get picked for the Pakistan team.

The kind of indifferent approach he had in the 5 ODIs was shocking. I was expecting him to give this series his 110% but he couldn't care less.

While Pakistan might still benefit from picking him (only because his replacements are so poor), we do not need such a lazy and uninspired individual.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Match winning knock today for Baluchistan 135* of 108 balls.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Match winning knock today for Baluchistan 135* of 108 balls.
    Probably, too little and too late !

How did that happen ?

He only landed in Lahore Yesterday and then went to Rawalpindi. And he fielded for the 50 overs before scoring an unbeaten hundred. He also looks over weight.

Which energy drink he uses?

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar goraya View Post
    Probably, too little and too late !

How did that happen ?

He only landed in Lahore Yesterday and then went to Rawalpindi. And he fielded for the 50 overs before scoring an unbeaten hundred. He also looks over weight.

Which energy drink he uses?
    Yes hats off to the fitness after so much travelling and fielding 50 overs and than batting 46 to finish the match.

Looks to be really motivated now once again after doing nothing much to remember against Aus. If you see the innings he successfully played his mid on shot number of times in this innings to which he got out around 4 times in 5 matches against Aus.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    TTF. When will we learn?

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Yes hats off to the fitness after so much travelling and fielding 50 overs and than batting 46 to finish the match.

Looks to be really motivated now once again after doing nothing much to remember against Aus. If you see the innings he successfully played his mid on shot number of times in this innings to which he got out around 4 times in 5 matches against Aus.
    The bigger grounds in UAE and the slower wickets make midwicket a tougher area to hit sixes on quicker pitches Akmal is definitely more at home he can be good in England but won't br picked.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He will be back, he is not going anywhere

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    The bigger grounds in UAE and the slower wickets make midwicket a tougher area to hit sixes on quicker pitches Akmal is definitely more at home he can be good in England but won't br picked.
    after yesterday's performance he is going to be picked.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, however he needs to go to the back of the line. He should play in domestic for at least a couple of years, so he values his spot. Also he needs to work on his fitness, he has failed how many fitness tests now, i think the latest one is #8

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does enough to just be considered for the world cup and then fades away like he did at the PSL, he started off well enough but then failed after that.

He didnt understand his own brilliance and had the genuine talent to do great thigns for pakistan instead he is another one of the players was left by the way side.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can even one ask this question now?

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get past the fascination of UA and focus on other performers who are striving for a chance, waiting for their debut etc.

Talent talent talent couldnít get him any good hundreds. He was rightly sent home by mudassar nazar.

Same series where rizwan could make use of it and make two centuries against the world champions compared to UA he is less skilled but temperament was there to stay at the crease and put runs on the board.

People say his century is selfish and that caused the team to lose but doesnít questions others who walked in and failed hit boundaries including the captain himself.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Seems its not happening.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Get past the fascination of UA and focus on other performers who are striving for a chance, waiting for their debut etc.

Talent talent talent couldnít get him any good hundreds. He was rightly sent home by mudassar nazar.

Same series where rizwan could make use of it and make two centuries against the world champions compared to UA he is less skilled but temperament was there to stay at the crease and put runs on the board.

People say his century is selfish and that caused the team to lose but doesnít questions others who walked in and failed hit boundaries including the captain himself.
    What "talunt" are u talking about?
    Khurram manzoor? Salman butt??
    Khurram manzoor is always the top run scorer in competitions. That tells u something about our batting talent.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He might as well retire like Ozil did for Germany and focus on franchise cricket to maximise his earnings. He can’t settle down for Pakistan and PCB management has no real patience for him. It’s best that he himself makes it easier for the selectors.

We have years of Mohammad Rizwan to come exactly like we had years of Shoaib Malik.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not cut out for Internationals.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post

Even Mickey Arthur has been clear that there is zero emerging young batting talent.

Umar Akmal is the biggest talent you have. Your choice is simple:

EITHER pick him and get the best out of him.

OR exclude him and lose.

Itís up to Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    He might as well retire like Ozil did for Germany and focus on franchise cricket to maximise his earnings. He can’t settle down for Pakistan and PCB management has no real patience for him. It’s best that he himself makes it easier for the selectors.

We have years of Mohammad Rizwan to come exactly like we had years of Shoaib Malik.
    How many Chances do you want him to give.
    He already played 200+ internationals for Pakistan.
    The fact is Umer akmal is Illiterate individual who will never learn. Better for both Pakistan and him that he should take an early retirement

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    When you recall someone after a long time, you can't just discard him after one series

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    When you recall someone after a long time, you can't just discard him after one series
    That too when his 30 average isn't a reflection of his real ability gave his wicket away most of the time.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He deserves another chance, still has time on his side. He hasn't played a lot of games since the last WC, and he hasn't played against any minnows so hasn't had the chance to boost his stats. He just needs to stay out of drama off the field and carrying on scoring runs in domestic whenever he gets the chance

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think Mickey Arthur was not happy with his fitness and to be honest Umar Akmal needs to get fitter. The guy used to be supremely fit in early 20's, very lean and muscular, i am shocked at how badly he has let himself go after marriage.

I am now suspicious regarding his actual age, because as you grow older, your metabolism slows.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post

I am now suspicious regarding his actual age, because as you grow older, your metabolism slows.
    on cricinfo it shows born in 1990... i guess you could say maybe 87 or 88? He'd be 31/32 years old then

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Even Mickey Arthur has been clear that there is zero emerging young batting talent.

OR exclude him and lose.

It’s up to Pakistan.
    Maybe you missed it but we picked him in the Australia series and lost 5-0.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

I know the standard of Pakistan's white ball domestic cricket is worse than PSL, but not many batsmen can play an innings like this one.

This guy will come good on truer batting surfaces with ball coming on to the bat and with smaller boundaries than the ones found in UAE, like you see in Pakistan and England these days.

It is unfair to discard him after one mediocre series on slow pitches and big boundaries. Also he was shuffled around with his batting spot throughout the series.

If Hafeez recovers in time he will walk into this XI as his bowling is needed, so that leaves him, Shoaib Malik and Rizwan fighting for that one batting spot. The latter has performed very well but he would be my second choice because the team already has far too many accumulators in the side.

Shoaib Malik is 38-40 and therefore it would be senseless to pick someone who has always struggled in England and been standard player against pace bowling, particularly on faster wickets and against 140+ bowlers. I would rather see a 40 off 45 balls than a 30-50 run innings at a poor strike rate.

Rizwan has shown his string of good performances on slow wickets but can he do it outside Asia? He will be ready to break into the first XI after Sarfraz and Hafeez are axed/retired after the WC.

For now I would like to see Umar batting in his favoured position at number 4 and Rizwan making the 15-man squad as backup if he fails during the tournament.

Picking accumulators and duds like Malik will ensure Pakistan will fall 20% short of the par score and fail short of chasing 300+, whereas the likes of Fakhar, Umar and Asif Ali have a higher ceiling in such circumstances and clinch us these matches on their best days when the batting demands are high.

If we had a world class bowling attack then I'd be more conservative with more accumulators but other than Shaheen, the side has a mediocre bunch of bowlers.
    Last edited by topspin; 5th April 2019 at 21:38.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    It is unfair to discard him after one mediocre series on slow pitches and big boundaries. Also he was shuffled around with his batting spot throughout the series.
    Australia's batsmen didn't seem to have much problems on those same "slow pitches and big boundaries".

Umar Akmal has been playing (and failing) all around the world not only UAE. He failed in his last series in 2017 in Australia.

We do need explosive powerhitters but going back to Umar Akmal is setting ourselves up for disappointment once more.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Australia's batsmen didn't seem to have much problems on those same "slow pitches and big boundaries".

Umar Akmal has been playing (and failing) all around the world not only UAE. He failed in his last series in 2017 in Australia.

We do need explosive powerhitters but going back to Umar Akmal is setting ourselves up for disappointment once more.
    Umar Akmal is a small bloke compared to those taller and stronger Aussie players like Finch, Khawaja, Handscomb, Maxwell and etc. If that's hard to believe look at his dismissals - if I'm not mistaken 3 of those 5 dismissals were caught by the boundary riders (just outside the rope).

Also not to forget Pakistan's bowlers were far inferior to their Australian counterparts.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal is a small bloke compared to those taller and stronger Aussie players like Finch, Khawaja, Handscomb, Maxwell and etc. If that's hard to believe look at his dismissals - if I'm not mistaken 3 of those 5 dismissals were caught by the boundary riders (just outside the rope).

Also not to forget Pakistan's bowlers were far inferior to their Australian counterparts.
    You mean an attack of Behrendoff, Coulter Nile, Stoinins, Zampa, Lyon and Richardson is Australia's first choice attack ??

Cummins played in 1 match out of all 5 and Pakistan were down to 3 before 20 on the board and he is first choice.

Only Zampa is the first choice spinner that played all 5 games. Rest of their bowlers are/were not even in contention for the World Cup bar one match Cummins.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You mean an attack of Behrendoff, Coulter Nile, Stoinins, Zampa, Lyon and Richardson is Australia's first choice attack ??

Cummins played in 1 match out of all 5 and Pakistan were down to 3 before 20 on the board and he is first choice.

Only Zampa is the first choice spinner that played all 5 games. Rest of their bowlers are/were not even in contention for the World Cup bar one match Cummins.
    Yes that bowling attack is still better than any Pakistan bowling line up put forward by Pakistan (without Shaheen ofc).

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post

But staying with Asif Ali isn't wise either. He isn't even performing in the Pakistan Cup.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes that bowling attack is still better than any Pakistan bowling line up put forward by Pakistan (without Shaheen ofc).
    That's really poor analysis.

You make it sound like, Australia were playing its 1st choice team, and Pakistan its weakest team and hence that's why Pakistani batsmen struggled especially Umar Akmal.

If he can't hit Behrendoff, Coulter Nile, Richardson, Maxwell etc., what kind of chance do you think he has against Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's really poor analysis.

You make it sound like, Australia were playing its 1st choice team, and Pakistan its weakest team and hence that's why Pakistani batsmen struggled especially Umar Akmal.

If he can't hit Behrendoff, Coulter Nile, Richardson, Maxwell etc., what kind of chance do you think he has against Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood?
    No I never implied Pakistan were playing its weakest team.

Yes that Aussie bowling attack is better than Shinwari, Junaid, Yasir and etc. If that's hard to comprehend maybe it isn't me with the "poor analysis".

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OR exclude him and lose.

Itís up to Pakistan.
    Option B please - Exclude him.

We are so lucky that Umar has disciplinary and fitness issues. If he was well behaved and fit we would have had to put up with his mediocrity in even more matches for Pakistan (eg Malik).

Thankfully he keeps doing stupid things and getting himself dropped. Obviously it shouldnít even come to that since heís a rubbish batsman but still. He can hoick randomly so has convinced everyone he is great.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haha so now his size is another excuse for him failing in the UAE series.

Slow pitches, big ground, small Umar, moved out of position, came in around the 25th over on average in the matches - which meant he didnít have enough overs to bat and had to slog, Australia had their fielders right on the boundary which wasnít fair, he was only give 5 chances in a row, he was making a comeback (unlike any other batsman in the series).

Anything else?

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No I never implied Pakistan were playing its weakest team.

Yes that Aussie bowling attack is better than Shinwari, Junaid, Yasir and etc. If that's hard to comprehend maybe it isn't me with the "poor analysis".
    Its good of you to evade the actual question at hand, and compare the bowling strengths of both teams.

Let me repeat.

The only reason the two bowling sides are being compared is because one bowling attack is deemed better than its counterpart.

Fine.

Lets accept your premise for a moment.

If he CANT hit a 2nd string Australian bowling attack, how do you manage to believe he will do better against Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins??

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    TTF. When will we learn?
    When we get a new batsman who can give us a glimpse of talent so we can retire Umar for good.

We have tried Asif Ali and Talat Hussain, and to be honest, both struggled really badly against pace in the PSL. If I had to pick one of those it would be Ali, but I expect him to fail badly if he's picked for the world cup.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should never be allowed to get in the squad.

Akmal brothers have done more harm than good.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was a part of the last World Cup too and didn't do anything substantial.

Do you people not remember the shot he played on the quarterfinals?

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let him pass the fitness test first then will think about any chances.

For now with his fitness he has no place in ODIs but for t20s he can be selected.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its good of you to evade the actual question at hand, and compare the bowling strengths of both teams.

Let me repeat.

The only reason the two bowling sides are being compared is because one bowling attack is deemed better than its counterpart.

Fine.

Lets accept your premise for a moment.

If he CANT hit a 2nd string Australian bowling attack, how do you manage to believe he will do better against Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins??
    I avoided the question because with all due respect I find it a bit rich for a Misbah fan to come on here and bash Umar Akmal's ability to play pace bowling.

I hold a high regard for you as a poster however of late, you've offered nothing but vent out how much you despise this one player.

Lets put all the preformed biases aside for a moment and look at this rationally, starting off with asking ourselves this question: who is Umar Akmal competing with for that middle order spot in this mediocre batting line-up?

The last man I would want to take his spot is an old Shoaib Malik, who was never blessed with pace bowling even at his prime and his record in England is woeful to say the least. Furthermore, he doesn't have the ability to wreak havoc against the spinners like he used to.

While I've been pleased to see the progress of Rizwan, he remains very much unproven on faster wickets outside Asia and there are countless accumulators in this side including Imam, Babar and Haris.

Umar Akmal is not a lower order hitter, so I don't deem Asif Ali as his competitor for a spot in the side. I would prefer to see these two names in the XI (as opposed to Shoaib Malik and Rizwan), so there is enough firepower in the side.

As mentioned numerous times recently, if any of Asif and Umar (as well as Fakhar) can click on their day this Pakistan side can set above par totals and chase 300+, otherwise we'll fall 20% short of par batting first and stand no chance with chasing high scores with the infestation of accumulators in the side.

I want to see my team play to win, not just compete but if that sounds bonkers I guess I have a more adventurous risk attitude compared to most - courtesy of my profession as an equity fund manager, where I'm accustomed to undertaking calculated risks on a daily basis. With a more cautious approach I can assure (from experience and learning the hard way!) I would be falling well short of my fund growth targets.

Now if Pakistan had a well rounded bowling attack with top quality pacers and at least one world class spinner, I would have no issues with an batting line up dominated by accumulators. It is unfortunate how the bowling standards have fallen in Pakistan, whereby only Shaheen is the only decent bowler in the pace attack.
    Last edited by topspin; 9th April 2019 at 03:12.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On condition that:

Ben Stokes
    Steve Smith
    Dave Warner
    Quinton De Kock

As a foreign wellwisher of Pakistan cricket, Iím heartily sick of you disabling your own team with stupid arbitrary bans.

For goodness sake, Mohammad Asif was cleared by the ICC to play international cricket 3 years and 6 months ago, in which time you have selected the likes of Sohail Khan and Imran Khan instead.

Itís a complete joke.
    Iíll tell you whatís a joke!

The way UA makes a mockery of team rules and thinks he is above and beyond all discipline and better than the rest of the guys! Thatís the joke right there!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very laughable there is an option he deserves a chance in the future. How many more chances does he deserve? Is he a cat with 8 lives? A mistake is made once but again and again it’s not a mistake but is how the person is.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I avoided the question because with all due respect I find it a bit rich for a Misbah fan to come on here and bash Umar Akmal's ability to play pace bowling.

I hold a high regard for you as a poster however of late, you've offered nothing but vent out how much you despise this one player.

Lets put all the preformed biases aside for a moment and look at this rationally, starting off with asking ourselves this question: who is Umar Akmal competing with for that middle order spot in this mediocre batting line-up?

The last man I would want to take his spot is an old Shoaib Malik, who was never blessed with pace bowling even at his prime and his record in England is woeful to say the least. Furthermore, he doesn't have the ability to wreak havoc against the spinners like he used to.

While I've been pleased to see the progress of Rizwan, he remains very much unproven on faster wickets outside Asia and there are countless accumulators in this side including Imam, Babar and Haris.

Umar Akmal is not a lower order hitter, so I don't deem Asif Ali as his competitor for a spot in the side. I would prefer to see these two names in the XI (as opposed to Shoaib Malik and Rizwan), so there is enough firepower in the side.

As mentioned numerous times recently, if any of Asif and Umar (as well as Fakhar) can click on their day this Pakistan side can set above par totals and chase 300+, otherwise we'll fall 20% short of par batting first and stand no chance with chasing high scores with the infestation of accumulators in the side.

I want to see my team play to win, not just compete but if that sounds bonkers I guess I have a more adventurous risk attitude compared to most - courtesy of my profession as an equity fund manager, where I'm accustomed to undertaking calculated risks on a daily basis. With a more cautious approach I can assure (from experience and learning the hard way!) I would be falling well short of my fund growth targets.

Now if Pakistan had a well rounded bowling attack with top quality pacers and at least one world class spinner, I would have no issues with an batting line up dominated by accumulators. It is unfortunate how the bowling standards have fallen in Pakistan, whereby only Shaheen is the only decent bowler in the pace attack.
    You have to define how much of a Misbah fan I am.

For the time he was captain, he was good, leading Pakistan to number rank in Tests which you seem to have forgotten, he captained the team without any major controversy and he played a brand of cricket which helped Pakistan to get to the pinnacle of Test cricket.

Regarding ODI's, he played with a team which was NEVER good enough at any point to do anything special, and you can ONLY FAULT him for not changing a SET PATTERN and sticking to the same failed formula.

Everyone has his weaknesses, and Misbah had his.

Its glorious of you not to realize the context in which I admire Misbah, and completely ignore that a man can have his weaknesses.

What's even more hypocritical is that while you are unwilling to ignore the weaknesses in Misbah and are NOT a big time fan of him, you are willing to IGNORE THE PLETHORA OF WEAKNESSES in Umar Akmal just because at the back of your mind, he is a dynamic batsmen.

Do I think Misbah should play now? No. Do I think Misbah is an ATG batsmen and captain? NO. Do I think he did well for Pakistan? Considering the circumstances, yes.

Now back to your original topic.

You have given me names of certain alternatives to Umar Akmal, and while none of them are any better than Akmal, that is not to say Umar Akmal in the present condition is any better than them.

I mean he got 5 consecutive opportunities against Australia and at least in 2 of them, he gave clear chances which were dropped (not his fault agreed), while the remaining 3 he did not look anywhere like leading Pakistan home.

His contemporary Rizwan actually made two centuries at a higher strike rate (sure in the 1st match he was quite selfish), but nonetheless in similar situations he made good of his chances by striking 2 out 5 in 5 matches.

Others like Abid Ali and Haris Sohail also made good of their chances.

So why can't Umar Akmal do the same? The argument of him batting too low, batting too high, too much under pressure, RRR is too high, needed to slog at the start, got unlucky, was trying to up the runrate has been abused to such a point that sometimes I even wonder if he himself doesn't blame his green lipstick for his lack of performance.

Now, tell me, out of everything that I have mentioned, why DO you think Umar Akmal will turn over a new leaf, or will perform BETTER than the 5 instances you have seen so far?

What makes you think that?

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in pakistan as long as u r Legend or Talent, you are all set

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    On condition that:

Ben Stokes
    Steve Smith
    Dave Warner
    Quinton De Kock

As a foreign wellwisher of Pakistan cricket, I’m heartily sick of you disabling your own team with stupid arbitrary bans.

It’s a complete joke.
    Did you watch Umar bat in the manner he did in the Australia series as well as how poor he actually performed?

I too, was initially fooled by his good domestic performances and a solid PSL 2019, but he's still the same old Umar Akmal with the same old flaws of 0 brains, 0 shot selection and 0 game awareness.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Leading run-scorer in Pakistan Cup so far...

Name:  bats.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  28.3 KB

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Didn't score like this when it mattered. Either you take your chances or you don't.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has performed in every domestic competition and also PSL this season. I don't think any other player has done so well in domestic cricket across all formats this season.
    But he was so poor in 5 match series with his abysmal fitness, poor attitude and indiscipline that it would be hard for management to trust him again.

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until the selection committee understands what physical, mental, emotional, and empirical improvement looks like we ll continue to have randomness in our selection.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's too good for domestic cricket but not good enough for international cricket.

He should move to England and play domestic cricket there, at least he'll make a few more bucks

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    He's too good for domestic cricket but not good enough for international cricket.

He should move to England and play domestic cricket there, at least he'll make a few more bucks
    Or play county and polish his skills.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar goraya View Post
    He has performed in every domestic competition and also PSL this season. I don't think any other player has done so well in domestic cricket across all formats this season.
    But he was so poor in 5 match series with his abysmal fitness, poor attitude and indiscipline that it would be hard for management to trust him again.
    there is still about 7 weeks left which is more than sufficient to gain some fitness. As far as attitude and indiscipline goes, those things don't win you matches. Matches are won by skills, aggression, dominance and the ability to do something for your country instead of playing for personal milestones.

Currently there aren't very many batsmen in pak's team who can show any of the x factors.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    there is still about 7 weeks left which is more than sufficient to gain some fitness. As far as attitude and indiscipline goes, those things don't win you matches. Matches are won by skills, aggression, dominance and the ability to do something for your country instead of playing for personal milestones.

Currently there aren't very many batsmen in pak's team who can show any of the x factors.
    that is a fair point but what's the point if we never see any of the x factors?

he had a chance to prove what he is capable of in the Australian series.